Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Presidents Cup 9th Feb 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts

Presidents Cup 9th Feb 2019

Dundalk win 2-1. They were very good in the first half though both their goals came from City mistakes.

Second half we were much better but created little. Possoibly because Dundalk decided to keep it tighter and let us have the ball a bit more. Kevin O'Connor came on as a sub in midfield and his first touch was a cracking free kick into the top corner in front of the shed.

I'd like to personally thank UCD for Daire O'Connor. Hes a gem of a player and I can't wait to see him play again.

I think they will win the league by a significant margin this year unless their managerial situation leads to a meltdown which is unlikely. I think we will be perfectly fine this season, we have some work to do defensively but Im confident we'll sort that, and few teams have the attacking talent to punish us that Dundalk do. I don't think we'll be competing for the league but I'm confident we'll qualify for Europe in 2020 again.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I'd like to personally thank UCD for Daire O'Connor. Hes a gem of a player and I can't wait to see him play again.
    Hope he does well for ye - but he wasn't getting his game towards the end of the season, so if ye're excited at the prospect of seeing our bench play, I think we can be looking forward to a decent season

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Dundalk win 2-1. They were very good in the first half though both their goals came from City mistakes.

Second half we were much better but created little. Possoibly because Dundalk decided to keep it tighter and let us have the ball a bit more. Kevin O'Connor came on as a sub in midfield and his first touch was a cracking free kick into the top corner in front of the shed.

I think they will win the league by a significant margin this year unless their managerial situation leads to a meltdown which is unlikely. I think we will be perfectly fine this season, we have some work to do defensively but Im confident we'll sort that, and few teams have the attacking talent to punish us that Dundalk do. I don't think we'll be competing for the league but I'm confident we'll qualify for Europe in 2020 again.
    2nd half it looked to me that Dundalk went in to training match mode, just did enough to keep Cork at bay and could have upped their game but at the same time as the game seemed safe it was used as a preseason friendly. McEleney has had one cup final winning goal to justify a start against Cork and that is it, he doesnt perform especially in Turners Cross. I thought Rogers was poor for the free kick and Mountney seriously lost his way as the game progressed. Good to see murray get a run out. I'd be a little more concerned than EP if a Cork fan, they werent as robust defensively as in the past regardless of what work is done. Expect a lot of drawn games in general with Cork this season as any side that is organised defensively will lap up the deep cross/ angled ball to the back post. They dont really get down the wings as often as they could and are not too mobile up front which is what Maguire and Cork thrived on. It will be a battle for Europe not a confident banker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Decent game tonight. Dundalk vastly superior in first half. Second half was even enough and we even managed to put a bit of pressure on at times. Daire O'Connor looks like some talent. Dundalk brought on a quality of substitute that I've never seen in this league. It will be interesting to see how Gill gets on with the big squad. Perth, sorry it will be interesting to see how Perth gets on with the big squad.

Meant to say that Duffy was exceptional as well especially in 2nd half with a bit of extra space.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 09/02/2019 at 10:25 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Enjoyable game where Dundalk were deserved winners, despite letting the first half total dominance slip in the second half.

From a Cork perspective looking to the season ahead, the second half performance gives lots of reasons for optimism, in particular the passing style where the ball was played on the ground for large parts of the half. Daire O'Connor had a very lively game and if he can re-produce that on a regular basis he will be a big addition.

As usual Cork fans were hospitable and welcoming in local pubs for pre-match craic

Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Gill gets on with the big squad. Perth, sorry it will be interesting to see how Perth gets on with the big squad.
    The Dundalk squad currently is smaller in number than the 2018 version. Perth/Gill/Higgins/O'Donnell seem to be going with more emphasis on quality over quantity.

(EDIT: Apologies to poster Dundalkfc10 for any embarrassment or offence caused to you or others with any aspect of this post)
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 10/02/2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: apology to daundalkfc10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Hope he does well for ye - but he wasn't getting his game towards the end of the season, so if ye're excited at the prospect of seeing our bench play, I think we can be looking forward to a decent season
    He's getting absolute rave reviews form all our fans this pre-season. If the way he's playing now is ye're first division bench quality, ye'll be pushing Europe minimum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    It was an enjoyable game and good to have a serious work out to end pre season. I can’t add much to what’s already been said, Dundalk were very good in the first half and thoroughly deserved the half time lead but the second was a bit more niggly and scrappy.
    Daire O’Connor was easily Cork’s best player and caused us a few problems. Kevin O’Connor’s free kick was excellent but I’m not sure what he’ll add to midfield if that’s where Caulfield plays him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If ye have any more like him send them down.
    Lovely footballer.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Well, we do, but U21 international Neil Farrugia is staying put. Jay McClelland too, who scored double figures from the wing last season. Simon Power was too good for Cork and ended up at Norwich instead. We've been doing quite well for wingers lately actually.

Daire can look like a little Maradona on his day; same build and same ability to go past a few players. But end product too often let him down - losing possession, a loose pass, etc. Full-time training could well benefit him though; if he can add a better end product, he could be very dangerous alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    If ye have any more like him send them down.
    Lovely footballer.
    They do, based on the few times I saw them last year.

UCD will surprise a lot of fans who perennially underestimate them. Their players are strong, fit, organised, and are technically superior to most players in the division.

13. Thanks From: