Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Televised Fixtures

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Eir Sport 1 is rated by Tam Ireland/Nielsen and the game on Tuesday averaged around 7,200 (20.00 to 22.00). Derry v Rovers the previous Friday on RTÉ2 had an average of 70,000.
    Do you have a link to their page ? And how did the Derry-Rovers game compare to competition on the telly ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I'd include RTE Player as a dodgy stream but maybe not in the way you mean!!
    It's absolutely brutal. Was like galway traffic at 4 on a Friday, as it is for every LOI game they show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Its seriously time that clubs look to stream their own games live as PPV to cover cost. Traffic that causes RTE to crash/buffer would indicate interest. It doesnt have to be massive better than skor which a lot of fans do accept to see a game. It could still fall fould of whatever agreements there are but the restrictions are lessening and if a game isnt being televised it surely cant be that hard in this day and age. Certainly not in larger, newer, urban grounds!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    70,000 average is quite a reasonable for a small league.

The figure for eir obviously doesn't include online streams or illegal iptv streaming services, but just shows the difference a free to air option gives you.

Now, imagine how much bigger than 70000 figure could be if matches were scheduled at a time when most of the target audience weren't already at a game?

Firm believer that live games on RTE should be a 7pm Saturday kickoff.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Do you have a link to their page ? And how did the Derry-Rovers game compare to competition on the telly ?
    Tam Ireland/Nielsen figures are for subscriber use only (broadcasters, ad agencies, media buyers etc), shouldn't really post them here if I'm honest.

Friday's Derry v Rovers game was up against Eastenders and Coronation Street so no point comparing apples and oranges with vastly different audiences. Safe to say it performed well in its slot.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    7200 viewers sounds tiny - almost hardly worth their while commercially I'd have thought?

Is that really a decent figure?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    7200 viewers sounds tiny - almost hardly worth their while commercially I'd have thought?

Is that really a decent figure?
    Their model is subscription not viewers-per-game. They don't care about numbers in the way free-to-air ad-based broadcasters do. Obviously they'd like as many viewers as possible but they don't live or die by that metric.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

8. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Their model is subscription not viewers-per-game. They don't care about numbers in the way free-to-air ad-based broadcasters do. Obviously they'd like as many viewers as possible but they don't live or die by that metric.
    Not sure if you've access to the historical figures, but how do the European games do in terms of viewer numbers? Always thought the likes of those would do better than a Friday night fixture when most people are at the games, yet they never show the early rounds of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts

I was at the game so not watching on TV.
    Was it not free on Eir , they have done this in the past

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I was at the game so not watching on TV.
    Was it not free on Eir , they have done this in the past
    no it wasnt
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Anyone know what the next live game is?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Anyone know what the next live game is?
    Don't believe it has been announced yet

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Eir Sport 1 is rated by Tam Ireland/Nielsen and the game on Tuesday averaged around 7,200 (20.00 to 22.00). Derry v Rovers the pr evious Friday on RTÉ2 had an average of 70,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    70,000 average is quite a reasonable for a small league.

The figure for eir obviously doesn't include online streams or illegal iptv streaming services, but just shows the difference a free to air option gives you.

Now, imagine how much bigger than 70000 figure could be if matches were scheduled at a time when most of the target audience weren't already at a game?

Firm believer that live games on RTE should be a 7pm Saturday kickoff.
    70k was the number mentioned by the head of RTE Sport Declan McBennett when he was on the GLITW pod a few weeks back as the base number for making a case for showing the live games given the costs involved. He was particularly defensive and abrasive with the lads when he was on as well which I thought was quite odd as Conan and Con were softballing him questions and generally amiable with him.

The new Friday night format is excellent but the thing is most of your target audience are all out at games which takes away from the viewing figures. For the Derry/ Rovers game mentioned above with 70k viewers, I was in Dalyer and the bars were rammed after the game with everyone watching the hours highlights after the game and would probably be the same around all the grounds, none of us/ those people would count towards the viewership numbers.

Two things I'd like to see is:

1.) Long term, a game a week on telly in the same time slot. Repetition and familiarity are how you grow an audience/ brand or whatever. Having games on like waiting for a Dublin Bus is ridiculous, 5 in a short space of time and then none for ages then.

2.) Slightly contradicting the above but I'm 100% with Nigel on the live games being a 7pm Saturday kick off. Over the summer especially for me, when other football leagues are on their break. It would avoid the Championship afternoon games and also means people at Friday night games would add to the viewership. You're after people/ families doing their thing during the day and being home for the evening and catching people before they go out then too. Would also probably help attendances at those games too, especially over the summer months in the hopefully decent weather.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    70k was the number mentioned by the head of RTE Sport Declan McBennett when he was on the GLITW pod a few weeks back as the base number for making a case for showing the live games given the costs involved. He was particularly defensive and abrasive with the lads when he was on as well which I thought was quite odd as Conan and Con were softballing him questions and generally amiable with him.

The new Friday night format is excellent but the thing is most of your target audience are all out at games which takes away from the viewing figures. For the Derry/ Rovers game mentioned above with 70k viewers, I was in Dalyer and the bars were rammed after the game with everyone watching the hours highlights after the game and would probably be the same around all the grounds, none of us/ those people would count towards the viewership numbers.

Two things I'd like to see is:

1.) Long term, a game a week on telly in the same time slot. Repetition and familiarity are how you grow an audience/ brand or whatever. Having games on like waiting for a Dublin Bus is ridiculous, 5 in a short space of time and then none for ages then.

2.) Slightly contradicting the above but I'm 100% with Nigel on the live games being a 7pm Saturday kick off. Over the summer especially for me, when other football leagues are on their break. It would avoid the Championship afternoon games and also means people at Friday night games would add to the viewership. You're after people/ families doing their thing during the day and being home for the evening and catching people before they go out then too. Would also probably help attendances at those games too, especially over the summer months in the hopefully decent weather.
    Con wasn't on that particular episode of GLITW which I wonder was a coincidence or was it planned to avoid an ex-RTE employee grilling the RTE head of sport who came across as quite unpleasant and aggressive.His point on having to reduce coverage on Soccer Republic to increase the coverage on the live matches was a load of ****e considering they increased the time that GAA League Sunday had for terrible analysis yet they kept the coverage of the GAA league matches they had exactly the same as the Summer GAA coverage.

On point 2 while I personally like the idea of 7pm Saturday night for TV matches, it clashes with too many GAA matches on TV in the Summer. I presume RTE/Eir would want to avoid this as much as possible.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    Con wasn't on that particular episode of GLITW which I wonder was a coincidence or was it planned to avoid an ex-RTE employee grilling the RTE head of sport who came across as quite unpleasant and aggressive.His point on having to reduce coverage on Soccer Republic to increase the coverage on the live matches was a load of ****e considering they increased the time that GAA League Sunday had for terrible analysis yet they kept the coverage of the GAA league matches they had exactly the same as the Summer GAA coverage.

On point 2 while I personally like the idea of 7pm Saturday night for TV matches, it clashes with too many GAA matches on TV in the Summer. I presume RTE/Eir would want to avoid this as much as possible.
    Ah is right, it was Gareth subbing in, Con was away that week! To be fair I'd say that was just the week he was booked in as a guest, he did come across very strangely aggressive, despite making fair points RE: viewer numbers. But then again, they are funded by the licence fee and have a public responsibility as well, which they only like to pull that card when it suits them in Montrose.

Trying to dig out the figures for the GAA league matches and comparable stuff like the womens/ u20s rugby but I'd imagine the GAA league figures would be higher than ours. Catch 22 is trying to grow the audience and find a decent slot that's not competing with the GAA with the Saturday/ Sunday games live on TV. Outside of WC and Euros years we should be looking at a live game on every Saturday or Sunday early evening ideally from end of May til mid August for me.

Did find the below off TAM for March, no numbers I can find yet though

RTE Sport top 10 for March

Eir Sports top 5 March:

So the 21s game was 5th highest on Eir behind Allianz League, Pro14 & feckin' Schools Rugby. Be interesting to see next months rankings with the few live LOI games on this month.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    24/05 - Bohemians v Sligo Rovers, 7.45pm, RTE
    31/05 - Waterford v Shamrock Rovers, 7.45pm, RTE
    09/06 - Cork City v Waterford, 7pm, eirSport
    14/06 - Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers, 8pm, eirSport
    28/06 - Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk, 8pm, eirSport

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Having a live game on TV while a full fixture list is happening at the same time is plainly daft. Only in Ireland...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Was 30k the cost given by RTE for showing a game on TV? Just realised watching yesterdays game that that price is probably including the rental of the crane they get in for all games outside Tallaght to show behind the goal angles. Surely with a bit of joined up thinking between the FAI and RTE, asking a lot I know, paying a bit of money in advance for clubs to build a TV gantry behind a goal would have by now saved RTE money? Because I can't imagine a crane is cheap to rent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/n...unched/id-2751

A pilot project with Cork City and Dundalk will enable fans outside Ireland to watch the clubs’ upcoming home fixtures in the SSE Airtricity League via a new streaming platform.The introduction of a new streaming platform is a joint venture between the FAI, ChyronHego and the clubs and will provide fans from around the world the opportunity to watch SSE Airtricity League fixtures live online via a HD stream with commentary and live match graphics.Individual matches are available for just €3.99 or four of either club’s matches can be purchased for €9.99.It is intended that if the pilot project is successful, the streaming platform will be rolled out to all of the clubs in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division.The streaming service is not available in the Republic of Ireland.
    This is good.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    A step in the right direction at least. Let's hope it gets sufficient numbers of (paying) viewers to be considered successful enough for a league-wide roll out.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast