Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Televised Fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post

RTE are increasing resources, infrastructure and time for the new format in an effort to improve and enhance our coverage. Call that spin all you want (and that's my job after all) but it's still a fact.
    How are they increasing resources?

They have the same amount of games and the highlights will be Friday now instead of Monday. Its window dressing. Nothing more.

As of next weekend. There will have been 22 live GAA games on TV so far this year. on average 5 per week for the past 5 weeks.
    10 further games fully deferred.
    Numerous colleges and club games games live on-line.
    A 2 hour highlights programme on rte on a Sunday for the last 3 weeks.
    A 1 hour highlights programme on TG4 on Monday night.
    A 2 hours highlights preview / show on eir every Wednesday for the last 3 weeks.
    And its mid Feb - virtually the off season!

That is how you promote your sport.

What John Delaney and Fran Gavin have given us is a simple re-arranging of the deckchairs and an announcement of a non-existent new competition. Its just as well that these guys are not answerable to anyone because they would have been long gone otherwise.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 13/02/2019 at 2:28 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    "Fewer people watch highlights" - yet Allianz League Sunday, the Sunday Game, and Against the Head aren't having their highlights shows halved in time. I'd love to see RTE make that argument in the face of the inevitable furore if they did ever look to cut coverage to other sports.

RTE have committed to 18 games, and announce this at the start of the season, but there's always a slight of hand here. It's not 18 league games. RTE only showed 10 league games last season and that's when you'll have your extra post-match coverage. There'll be no league round-ups after European matches or FAI Cup semi finals and final.

By my count RTE will be broadcasting at least eight hours less LOI on TV this year. An improvement to the Friday night offering doesn't change that bigger picture reduction.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I think RTÉ have it almost right.

The new format is good. 3 hours on a Friday evening and the half hour highlights show on a Monday is grand.

The issue is however, the majority of target audience are out watching games on a Friday. There's also a large amount of Monday night games that clash with Monday highlights.

The live games should be on a Saturday evening, and to be consistent with this new 3 hour format, should be one every week.

Highlights show should either directly follow, or come ahead of the GAA show on a Sunday evening.

Viewership figures would shoot up significantly with these two changes.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    If RTE do the 3 hour shows for 15 or 16 of the 18 live games those "extra" 15 or 16 hours makes up for losing the half hour on Monday, hopefully there'll be less sh1t talk too so for me that'll do nicely.
    Usually I record Soccer Republic but fast forward through most of the chat and I'd say a lot of people do the same

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    If RTE do the 3 hour shows for 15 or 16 of the 18 live games those "extra" 15 or 16 hours makes up for losing the half hour on Monday, hopefully there'll be less sh1t talk too so for me that'll do nicely.
    Usually I record Soccer Republic but fast forward through most of the chat and I'd say a lot of people do the same
    Yep, I'm with you here brother, obviously not including chat after the Dundalk game and maybe one or two others, its FW to the goals for me for the rest of the show, and I always record it to have this option.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Nice little touch going around all the grounds before kick-off.

Didn't recognise John Kenny until he started speaking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Be interesting to see if the quality of the highlights is improved.

I don't see the problem with Monday night being only half hour. Think most people skipped the talking heads anyway.

That said a commitment to an hour on the Fridays rte aren't showing a game, with prerecorded packages on talking points, and
    a bit of a preview for each match before the goals wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Nice little touch going around all the grounds before kick-off.

Didn't recognise John Kenny until he started speaking
    Heard Kenny giving the Waterford v Rovets match report on rte radio 1. He called Ethan Boyle, Ethan Blake twice and Alan McManus, Adam McManus. Isn't he a Rovers fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I find it bemusing that they went around the ground to all the reporters pre-match, but never went back to them again over the course of the broadcast.

Surely they could have done a quick half-time rundown with each of them, and the same again at full time as opposed to Peter Collins talking over the goals?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I find it bemusing that they went around the ground to all the reporters pre-match, but never went back to them again over the course of the broadcast.

Surely they could have done a quick half-time rundown with each of them, and the same again at full time as opposed to Peter Collins talking over the goals?
    It'd be so easy for them to get reporters to jot down timestamps of events they want to mention in a round up and show those events with the reporter doing a voice over at the end instead of just showing goals.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

I presume it was a time thing. Those previews weren't live looking at the crowds in the background; they were recorded well in advance. Harder to do the same with a half-time update.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    Only ten of RTE's live games were from the league last season - the rest were FAI Cup and European nights when no one else was playing, so if it were the same ratio this season, the league would have a net loss in terms of broadcasting time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    So there's no live game on RTE this Friday. That's fine by me as I plan to be at Limerick v Longford. Will RTE be making the night's goals available on some platform on Friday night?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    So there's no live game on RTE this Friday. That's fine by me as I plan to be at Limerick v Longford. Will RTE be making the night's goals available on some platform on Friday night?
    doubt it some how.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    doubt it some how.
    Are clubs allowed show the goals or do they have to wait until after Soccer Republic is aired on the Monday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Are clubs allowed show the goals or do they have to wait until after Soccer Republic is aired on the Monday?
    Clubs can show the goals as soon as they want,no broadcast embargo from this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Clubs can show the goals as soon as they want,no broadcast embargo from this season.
    Really? I saw the Pat's Instagram on Friday say midgame that they couldn't show the goal - is it a case of on televised nights RTÉ show it first?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    If there is a live broadcast clubs can show their goals and highlights but if there isn't they still have to wait to Monday.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    If there is a live broadcast clubs can show their goals and highlights but if there isn't they still have to wait to Monday.
    This is where I thought the goals would be shown on the RTE News channel or online on the Friday night. Clubs should be allowed to show goals and highlights on the day after all their games. If RTE pass up an opportunity to show them first, it should not be blocking clubs from promoting their own product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    A joke we have to wait 3 days for highlights,the Irish league get goals and reaction 20 minutes after full time on Saturdays.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast