Page 92 of 177 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    no, Kerr is correct, in my view, he talks sense, He isnt jealous he was warning about this the whole time, Ireland hadnt yet met the big boys of Euros . IRELAND needs results, this game is results, and vs SCOTLAND second half the time was very coward, all the chances bar the one from Doherty in second half, came because of scottish turnovers, even that big one on one was a miscontrolled ball that OBAFEMI took advantage

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    if anything kerr is really worried about IRELAND not jealous, lets talk football,

kerr talks football, some here talk romance and mystery books. This is a result game. 25 matches 5 wins, 10 draws 10 defeats this must be enough Even McGrath talked about it , is big Paul jealous?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Tets, there is something corrupt going on with the site, at least on Mac OS browsers. I don't mean Pineapple stu but with the functionality of the discussion board format.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Pineapple has flagged it in support.

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    yes we cant quote , thanks for this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Thread in the support on the ongoing issues since the maintenance over the weekend
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

9. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Stu
    My take is an overview of Kerr's comments over a period of time on his attitude on Kenny, in this instance his body language and shugs speak all but I can't quote that.
    Here are all the reactive replies on twitter, delivered on the spot in response to Kerr's comments about Kenny, not scientific I know but I suspect are representative.

He?s very jealous of him which is obvious to see. He gets paid an awful lot of money off virgin media to talk a lot of ******** about this and that. The bloke is washed up. He?s just a bitter old jealous man who was never good enough to manage Ireland in the first place.

I'm a massive Brian Kerr fan, and we all know he tried to play football, but he needs to rise above his.own ego here, he has so much in common with Stephen Kenny, he's simply scarred by his own history

He honestly doesn?t like Kenny from the minute he got the job must be some history there

Brian is embarrassing himself at this stage. Every time he talks about Kenny

My god has he any family to advise him to shut up

Such a bitter old ******
    But there's still literally nothing in there which answers the question of "What's wrong with the clip?"

When you're picking quotes from twitter dismissing him for being bitter and jealous, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

It'd be far easier, surely, to pick a quote or two from the clip and show why you've an issue with them?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Considering it's 27 games, I decided to look at the progress in terms of 9 game batches.

First 9 games were obviously a bit of a nightmare and the stats are grim. Won 0, Drew 4, Lost 5. Scored 3 and conceded 10. Win % of zero and loss % of 55.56%. Average of 0.33 goals for and 1.11 against.
    Second 9 looks better (opposition definitely weaker overall too I'd say). Won 3, Drew 4, Lost 2. Scored 15 and conceded 7. Win% of 33.33% and loss % of 22.22%. Average of 1.67 goals for and 0.78 against.
    Most recent 9 (arguably strongest opponents includes Portugal, Belgium and Scotland and Ukraine twice). Won 3, Drew 3, Lost 3. Scored 11 and conceded 7. Win% of 33.33% and loss % of 33.33%. Average of 1.22 goals for and 0.78 against.

Overall that's a record of Won 6, Drew 11, Lost 10. Scored 29 and conceded 24. Win% of 22.22% and loss % of 37.04%. Average of 1.07 goals for and 0.89 against.

Since game 10 things have been fairly consistent in terms of results with the 33% win rate (still lower than Staunton as I'm sure will be noted). Considering the start there's no doubt things have improved but there's also no doubt they need to improve again, starting with a win tomorrow. No win tomorrow, and I think it leaves Kenny in a very close to untenable position (especially if the contract break clause the FAI are supposed to have is true). For all the green shoots anything but a comfortable win tomorrow puts things back to square one.

I don't know if anyone can pull up the stats in terms of age of the starting team in Scotland, but it must be one of the youngest ever too? Only McClean and Doherty over 30? I think Kenny still deserves credit for what he's trying to do and the players he's bringing through. But, I've said before, I'm not sure he's going to survive long enough to be the manager who benefits from it.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    But there's still literally nothing in there which answers the question of "What's wrong with the clip?"

When you're picking quotes from twitter dismissing him for being bitter and jealous, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

It'd be far easier, surely, to pick a quote or two from the clip and show why you've an issue with them?
    i didn't watch more than a minute or so on the night and there were two sneers in that clip.
    the reference to the 44,000 tickets sold and that SK seems to be suggesting he is the first ever irish manager to try and play good football. there is no evidence that SK ever said that.

I really hope kerr isn't including himself as an irish manager that tried to play good football. some of his performances were complete dross and overly conservative.
    Last edited by jbyrne; 26/09/2022 at 1:09 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    OK, well fair dues for actually picking out a couple of comments first off. (That sounds sarcastic but isn't meant to be!)

I don't really agree they're sneers though. For example, Dan McDonnell has also referenced Kenny's comments about the expected crowd; is that a sneer? Kenny also does reference his style of play a fair bit - and a lot of the time he uses these comments to deflect from his really bad record. His comments that he was targetting promotion from the NL group was another example.

So I think - given that Kerr is in a pundit role and being asked for his opinion - they're fair comments.

I do agree with you on Kerr's style of play, but there's no evidence he's saying we played better football under him than now.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I don't know if anyone can pull up the stats in terms of age of the starting team in Scotland, but it must be one of the youngest ever too? Only McClean and Doherty over 30? I think Kenny still deserves credit for what he's trying to do and the players he's bringing through. But, I've said before, I'm not sure he's going to survive long enough to be the manager who benefits from it.
    Youngest since the friendly against New Zealand in 2019. Average age of the starting XI that night was 24.7, the average age against Scotland was 24.89.
    The New Zealand friendly was also the last time there were more players under the age of 30 name in the starting XI - 10

It's the youngest starting XI in a competitive international since a world cup qualifier against Cyprus in November 1980, average age that night was 24.88
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/09/2022 at 7:37 PM. Reason: number of starters was wrong
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    25 games played not 27

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Youngest since the friendly against New Zealand in 2019. Average age of the starting XI that night was 24.7, the average age against Scotland was 24.89.
    The New Zealand friendly was also the last time there were more players under the age of 30 name in the starting XI - 10

It's the youngest starting XI in a competitive international since a world cup qualifier against Cyprus in November 1980, average age that night was 24.88
    How many points does having a young team get you??
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/09/2022 at 7:37 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    How many points does having a young team get you??
    I'm sorry tets but he is correct
    Its 11 v 11 and age is not relevant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I'm sorry tets but he is correct
    Its 11 v 11 and age is not relevant
    I never said it was? passinginterest wanted to know how the age of the team compared with previous starting XIs and I looked it up

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I never said it was? passinginterest wanted to know how the age of the team compared with previous starting XIs and I looked it up
    No you didn't and apologies
    But it does seem kenny has some sort of diplomatic immunity because his team is younger

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    The younger team is significant though. It's not just young, it's historically young. A footballer probably peaks between 28 and 30 yet here we've a team average under 25. That suggests we're at least 3 years from the team reaching its peak. It's a crude measure, but it's not insignificant in terms of rebuilding. The Euros qualifiers will be a big test and after that we should see the team peaking coming into world cup qualification. That's not to say results don't matter, of course they do, but it's more to add to the point that this is a huge rebuild and there's every chance that Kenny is laying foundations that someone else will likely see the real benefit of.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Playing a young team seems to win you a lot of time. How long now is Kenny in charge 3 years? I think its a bit hypocritical to keep saying how great he is for playing young players and bringing them through because its very unfair to say any other manager wouldn't have done the same if they could have been in 3 qualifying campaigns/tournaments and being out of contention in all after a couple of games, throw in a one off playoff game too. All Irelands managers remits previously was to qualify for campaigns with bonus add-ons and incentivised towards that.

I didnt see anything wrong in the clip posted from Kerr, whatever his intentions his point was pretty fair. I do find the LOI contingent hypocrites though, arguably the best period in LOI football in Europe and not one player near the squad? Kenny was harping on about that when he was in charge of Dundalk, LOI and ybig are usually the biggest naysayers going and jumping on the backs of managers from the start yet they are very quiet when it comes to Kenny.

I'll say it again but kenny has been very lucky, covid and short qualifying windows have made it more difficult to get someone else in, theres an attitude of ah give him this one, give him the next one because the turn around time is much shorter.

Watching Steve Clarkes interview the last day got me thinking someone should have kenny watching it on repeat. He was humble, gracious and praising of the Irish team, the youngsters and Kenny himself. Perhaps laying the foundations for himself at some point in Ireland too?

Personally I think there is nothing to gain from getting rid of Kenny at this point unless a loss to Armenia tonight, our younger players are getting plenty of game time and that's about all we can ask for at this stage. Let him get the Euros campaign going, keeping in mind a possible successor and if after 2 games we are out of contention again then set the wheels in motion to get him replaced before the end of the campaign so a potential new manager has some games to play with.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't really agree they're sneers though. For example, Dan McDonnell has also referenced Kenny's comments about the expected crowd; is that a sneer? Kenny also does reference his style of play a fair bit - and a lot of the time he uses these comments to deflect from his really bad record. His comments that he was targetting promotion from the NL group was another example..
    Ya hes beginning to sound like Elon Musk. Even his latest press conference smacks of same. But if you mention that to any of Musks followers theres a denial going on.

As a guy once said to me, he'll get it done, theres no guarantee when but he'll get it done.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    The younger team is significant though. It's not just young, it's historically young. A footballer probably peaks between 28 and 30 yet here we've a team average under 25. That suggests we're at least 3 years from the team reaching its peak. It's a crude measure, but it's not insignificant in terms of rebuilding. The Euros qualifiers will be a big test and after that we should see the team peaking coming into world cup qualification. That's not to say results don't matter, of course they do, but it's more to add to the point that this is a huge rebuild and there's every chance that Kenny is laying foundations that someone else will likely see the real benefit of.
    The Euros will be a big test rather than the big test? So you're now casting the Euros - Kenny's fourth campaign - to the Gods of More Time?

28. Thanks From: