Results 3,521 to 3,522 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Did he tell you that? If he cant back himself to get ahead of Brown, Shankland, Dyke etc maybe he is a player even we are questioning the selection of.

Think you are missing the point though, if he cant make the Scotland squad then I doubt he's making a combined Irish/Scottish team.
    Not missing this point and it's what I was hinting at. Couldn't get a Scotland call up so how would he make a combined team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Just being honest. I don't rate Scotland's wingers - last time I saw them play, they had two centre-midfielders playing on the wings (McLean and Armstrong). I think that's the reason they've played 5 at the back a lot, to fit Robertson and Tierney into the same team (on the off chance that Tierney is fit) and because they have absolutely no wingers.

So I'm left with Ben Doak, who's turned 18 a week ago and is a little like Evan Ferguson was around the same age, in that I think he's about to go from being an u21 to an obvious first choice selection seemingly overnight. I'd happily make a bet that he will feature prominently for Scotland at the Euros. You could find when Mo Salah goes to Afcon, he'll feature a lot for Liverpool as he's basically his replacement - and that game time will open the door for a March call-up, he got a badly timed injury (I think in October for Scotland u21), which meant he hasn't played as much as he might have. So you've got him, and if you don't feel he's ready, then I'm left with Mikey Johnston. I think the only person to pick a team with 3 up top had McGinn playing on the wing - and he's playing centre-midfield for me, he's not a winger at all.

As for Doherty, I think he was widely considered our best player about 18 months ago and he's gone from that to being a whipping boy for some fans. He's in a tough situation at Wolves. Nelson Semedo who is being chosen ahead of it is a very acomplished footballer. Barcelona paid a lot for him and Wolves did too. He's played over 100 games for Barcelona and over 25 for Portugal. He's a far better player than Hickey's competition (Mads Roerslev) And Doc's game-time hasn't been great, the performances are suffering a little. Saying that, I thought Doherty looked pretty good against Spurs two weeks ago. And as for Patterson, I've seen a lot of him at Everton and I don't rate him, he might become a good player one day but right now, he's closer to Festy's level (without the electrifying physical attributes) than Andy Robertson's level - and the only reason he's playing is because Everton are skint and Coleman has been injured forever. I saw good bit of Aaron Hickey at Bologna and I wasn't sold on him. Best thing I can say about his Brentford career is I haven't really noticed him much, being anonymous I suppose means there haven't been too many mistakes - but for example, Rico Henry on the other side, I'd reckon is a far better footballer. Coleman might still be the best option but it's a huge unknown after 6 months out...
    Last edited by elatedscum; 25/11/2023 at 4:01 AM.