Page 2 of 177 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Stephen Kenny tenure

I know it is already being discussed in the Slovakia match thread, but will need its own thread in the long run anyway - Stephen Kenny has taken over from Mick McCarthy as senior team manager with immediate effect.

This is six months ahead of schedule, but obviously there won't be much football at all in those 6 months. FAI thanking McCarthy for taking into account the 'exceptional times' brought about by COVID-19.

Very interesting to see how it goes - he as the Midas touch at LOI level, and decent signs at underage level, yet didn't achieve much in his only spell in the UK.

We know he likes to play passing football, so I wonder how much of that he will be able to achive of that with the senior players. It's a style that we haven't seen at senior level in a long long time.
    Last edited by osarusan; 04/04/2020 at 6:18 PM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    His contract was for 2 years. In normal scheme of things that would have brought us up to the Euros. I very much doubt it said in the contract 2 years or until the Euros. Therefore it was only decision that could be made. If he topped the group there would be more of a case to extend his contract but he failed to qualify us from the group and we are only in playoff by default.

It could be 6 months before we are back to football so this is the only decision that could have been made.

Excited by Duff and Andrews know backroom too

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Could he be our Michael O’Neill ?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I think its so exciting. This is a guy who passionately believes that we can play proper football and be competitive. He always did that with Dundalk in Europe and was successful. The U21s were transformed overnight when he took over.
    If the senior players don't buy in because he comes from LOI there is plenty of young guys to take their place and build from ground up.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Could he be our Michael O’Neill ?
    I hope not, he won two games in his first three years, and lost to Luxembourg and Azerbaijan

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    The risk that we go into the Slovakia match under-prepared and don't make the Euros is the biggest one that comes with this appointment. Managing this risk during this uncertain time is a challenge. It will be interesting to see what moves Kenny makes to give us the best possible chance against Slovakia. I would have thought it will require a lot of friendlies, regardless of when we get back playing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I'm I being unfair to think McCarthy took the 1.3m and ran as per contract? Seemed to go quietly no?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Why is mick getting the million thought that was if he qualified us?

Hopefully playoffs wont go ahead till next Feb or March allowing Kenny to have the nations league to build a bit

Be great to think he could help revitalise the likes of Hendrick, Brady and McCarthy .

Be interesting to see if mcgoldrick is key for him to work the likes of Connolly and Robinson around or if he thinks mcgoldrick just drops the attack back into midfield and compresses everything by been so deep constantly and limits any threat in behind the centre haves

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I'm I being unfair to think McCarthy took the 1.3m and ran as per contract? Seemed to go quietly no?
    It's a funny one. I'm assuming the FAI have saved some money here by not having to extend McCarthy's contract until either we get beaten in the play-offs or after the Euros.

Should we have qualified for the Euros, then Mick would have needed another year of a contract and another year of a salary, on top of Kenny's I would assume.

Given the 1.3m that Delaney committed the FAI to paying Mick, I'm sure they could ill-afford paying two managers at once.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    It's the correct decision, regardless of whether we qualify under Kenny or not. Given the logistical nightmare of rearranging the handover and working out how to deal with the Nations League, playoffs and all the contract issues it was the only decision that could have been made. That said, I did have a bad feeling that there would be some effort at a fudge of some sort and if Delaney was still in charge I'd say he'd have definitely tried to keep Mick on.

I have to say I've always liked Mick and felt he was very hard done by in 2002. However this campaign has felt a bit stale from the off, just a continuation of the Trap and O'Neill years, when we really needed a fresh start, even if that had a negative impact on results in the short term. I now feel like the Euro qualifiers have been a bit of a waste really, because we didn't qualify, we were guaranteed the playoffs anyway and only limited blooding of players on the senior stage has taken place.

Obviously we don't have any control over the fixture schedule from here, but it would be great if the Nations League went ahead and was played before the Euro 2020/1 playoffs, so that we can make up for lost time in terms of bringing in new players and give Kenny a run of games to build his team.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    As a LOI fan I’m obviously delighted to see one of our own back in the top job. I think Irish football fans should thank Mick for his long service to the Ireland team on and off the pitch.
    Last edited by D24Saint; 04/04/2020 at 8:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    One thing is for certain, Stephen Kenny won't be lauding a 1-1 draw away to Georgia in a must win game.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    MOD EDIT - removed quote of deleted post
    Alright Roy !
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 05/04/2020 at 1:20 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Difficult situation for the FAI, no easy way round it. I am hopeful about Kenny, though his appointment is reminiscent of Brian Kerrs, which i thought was a master stroke at the time. I think he will need a full campaign to get accustomed to the role before he can be judged.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    The right decision. I've got a soft spot for Mick but this is a new FAI where transparency and fairness seem to be making progress not shady deals to keep everyone sweet. Mick got us to the playoffs so he can walk away with some measure of success and hopefully into a decent club role this summer. It's not the ending anybody would have wanted for him, but it's better than his first spell. I think his legacy will be OK this time. If Kenny completes the job it's down to Mick's rebuilding work [edit - what ES said, two posts up], and if he doesn't ... ah, he will.
    Actually, he didn't... it was a combination of our UEFA National Team Coefficient ranking putting us into League B of the Nations League and the fact that more than 14 teams from Leagues A and B qualified through the main process. You're definitely right to note that Mick did well in quickly integrating ascendant players into the squad (McGoldrick, Egan, Robinson, Stevens, Doherty), so Kenny will have a settled team, and will be able to call on the likes of Connolly, Parrott, Hogan, Cullen, Travers, Browne and O'Connor knowing that they have at least some international action under their belts.

That said, I was really hoping that the FAI would have thought outside the box on this one, especially considering the circumstances. Surely it would have been possible to defer Mick's payment for July and/or June, allow him to take up the reins for the playoffs, and have the option of giving him a short-term contract for the Finals. Kenny could still be have been in charge for the World Cup and Nations League, if it happens. Plus, it may have freed up Kenny to continue with the U21s, depending on when they see action again.

I just hope it doesn't end up like the last time we let Mick go prematurely and replaced him with a successful LOI and underage manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    That said, I was really hoping that the FAI would have thought outside the box on this one, especially considering the circumstances. Surely it would have been possible to defer Mick's payment for July and/or June, allow him to take up the reins for the playoffs, and have the option of giving him a short-term contract for the Finals. Kenny could still be have been in charge for the World Cup and Nations League, if it happens. Plus, it may have freed up Kenny to continue with the U21s, depending on when they see action again.

I just hope it doesn't end up like the last time we let Mick go prematurely and replaced him with a successful LOI and underage manager

Totally agree
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    MOD EDIT - removed quote of deleted post
    Unintended Consequences of the Lockdown, No. 431(b) - irrational mix of anger and hope, coupled with gender misrecognition.

I'd say someone needs to get out for a long walk around the garden before it's too late...
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 05/04/2020 at 1:20 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Actually, he didn't... it was a combination of our UEFA National Team Coefficient ranking putting us into League B of the Nations League and the fact that more than 14 teams from Leagues A and B qualified through the main process. You're definitely right to note that Mick did well in quickly integrating ascendant players into the squad (McGoldrick, Egan, Robinson, Stevens, Doherty), so Kenny will have a settled team, and will be able to call on the likes of Connolly, Parrott, Hogan, Cullen, Travers, Browne and O'Connor knowing that they have at least some international action under their belts.

Can you imagine how this would work in practice? Kenny in for the Nations League in the Autumn, then bumped out for the playoffs early next year, possibly back in then for a few early World Cup qualifiers, but back out again for the Euros if we qualify. Then back in full time in the Autumn.

We'd be the laughing stock of European football.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Moved the relevant posts from the play off thread this. Link to any other post you think should be moved
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Management team confirmed: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/fai-...nagement-teams
    The Football Association of Ireland are delighted to announce the appointment of coaches Keith Andrews, Damien Duff and Alan Kelly to Stephen Kenny’s backroom team with the Senior Men’s international team.
    Nothing about Robbie Keane's role in the new structure
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 2 of 177 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast