Page 141 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Looked up the ref for the craic. Artur Soares from Portugal. In 92 international matches he has awarded 18 penos to home sides and 7 to away sides.

He is more likely to give fouls against the home team though and home team players are TWICE as likely to get a red card as the away team. https://worldreferee.com/referee/artur_soares_dias/
    Cheers Texidub, good bit of investigating there.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Not worried... just thinking about different angles in the pre-match build-up. They don't mean much... but they mean something inasmuch as they indicate that he's a bit harder on home teams. Only indication I would take from it really is for Molumby (and others) to keep their heads on straight with this ref in charge.
    He's been very measured in his recent games for us. But would be an outright deception not to acknowledge that he has a tendency to not play it a bit more cute (I'll put it down to the Waterford in him). Even agin Latvia, he made one foul where his arm came across the Latvian's upper chest/throat (not severely either but was a foul) and he kept moaning to the ref when the lad went down clutching his face. He needs to be smarter than that. It's not hard. You can combative, an utter scumbag and cute at the same time.

I still don't think he's in the McClean category of recklessness in the tackle though, and I was very very reckless in the tackle at times (not that I'm proud of it now), but he really needs to play smarter in that regard.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The comments on Kerr have really opened by eyes here. THe kennyites are clearly still kennyites and some snakes in the grass too I'm sure waiting with their smug smiles ready to pounce. Could tonight be the night? I hope so!

On a slightly different note, I know we have sold out, and I know season ticket holders and price add massively to that but I've had no buzz about this from friends at all. Normally in previous qualifying campaigns (pre kenny) there'd be loads of chat and talk about the game. Not now. And no its not because people feel we are already out of the running. There just doesnt seem to be the same excitement anymore among the general football public I'd be communicating with. Even the news yesterday had the soccer last after all the league GAA stuff and womens stuff. The Irish times i had to find my way all the way down to Soccer to find anything about the game - that's never happened before. There seems to be a general apathy towards this.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't know if those stats really mean anything tbh. Were the decisions correct? If so, then no point worrying about them. There's a higher chance than usual of a red card for us this evening just because we're playing a much better team who can move us around a lot more than, say, Latvia.
    Its impossible to know until you compare the teams and other refs. But its interesting all the same. Could be a new application/website in the offing to help influence ; )

And mores the point its 2 quick easy lines. Its not paragraphs of waffle and uninteresting banality like we get on here too often. I'll refrain from 2 easy quick lines jokes.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The comments on Kerr have really opened by eyes here. THe kennyites are clearly still kennyites and some snakes in the grass too I'm sure waiting with their smug smiles ready to pounce. Could tonight be the night? I hope so!

On a slightly different note, I know we have sold out, and I know season ticket holders and price add massively to that but I've had no buzz about this from friends at all. Normally in previous qualifying campaigns (pre kenny) there'd be loads of chat and talk about the game. Not now. And no its not because people feel we are already out of the running. There just doesnt seem to be the same excitement anymore among the general football public I'd be communicating with. Even the news yesterday had the soccer last after all the league GAA stuff and womens stuff. The Irish times i had to find my way all the way down to Soccer to find anything about the game - that's never happened before. There seems to be a general apathy towards this.
    its a monday night game and the sporting bandwagon is just getting over the rugby grand slam. come late afternoon I guarantee there will be a buzz.
    have been asked by lots of people about tickets over the last week or so. there is no lack of interest in this game

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    There's people around Baggot St already in green.

I've had 4 people come to me in work asking about tickets. Tonight is massive and people are damn well excited about it.

Only worry is that a lot are coming to watch Mbappé and the Boys.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 27/03/2023 at 11:08 AM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Woken up to a phone full of it, texts from everyone and everywhere. RTÉ Sports ( not just the soccer section ) have been leading with it for days now, multi article top of the page. I haven't noticed any drop off in interest at all media / talking to people wise.

In fact I'd say the coverage is a bit on the hopeful side, for the people just tuning in in recent days & not following the way most on here would daily. France can effectively kill this group tonight inside 180 minutes and I'd expect them to want to do that.

Even had England fans talk to me about it, they'd rarely know we were playing or who. They were also casting envious glances at Ferguson & they can get fuct.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    its a monday night game and the sporting bandwagon is just getting over the rugby grand slam. come late afternoon I guarantee there will be a buzz.
    have been asked by lots of people about tickets over the last week or so. there is no lack of interest in this game
    I dont think its to do with the Rugby. I also dont think Monday night really matters obviously weekend games will always get more interest as people can go out drinking or have more free time generally. This is just a general observation, even back in my hometown they had a big game against Shamrock Rovers underage at the weekend yet not as much interest about France as they had against say Germany a few years ago - which was also during a weekday. And I'm on about the general football public that would be in my circle. I cant remember a time when foot.ie was as active and that is 100% down to Stephen Kenny.

I've still got a few Dublin based friends who would normally reach out for the big games asking for tickets. Haven't had one inquiry at all and I dont believe any of them are going!

I'm sure the atmosphere will be great tonight but that's always the case for big games.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

Sounds like u need different friends Paul. I'm in California and everyone I know from here and Ireland are buzzing for this today. Getting texts from home all yesterday going on about it. Ferguson starting to get hype from the bandwagon lads I know. Gang of us meeting in the pub today for an 11.45 am kick off and lads are bunking off work who would never consider it before.

In my circles this game couldn't be bigger. I just hope we live up to it

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Sounds like u need different friends Paul. I'm in California and everyone I know from here and Ireland are buzzing for this today. Getting texts from home all yesterday going on about it. Ferguson starting to get hype from the bandwagon lads I know. Gang of us meeting in the pub today for an 11.45 am kick off and lads are bunking off work who would never consider it before.

In my circles this game couldn't be bigger. I just hope we live up to it
    You could be right Razor! Enjoy it. The idea for a 11.45 meetup at the pub isn't as appealing to me anymore like it used to. I must be getting old : D

I hope your collective enthusiasm is matched by our performance.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    And 2fm leading their sports section about Johnny sexton's injury
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    And 2fm leading their sports section about Johnny sexton's injury
    Irish Media is very Elite-ist = = No time for ordinary Irish People.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Looked up the ref for the craic. Artur Soares from Portugal. In 92 international matches he has awarded 18 penos to home sides and 7 to away sides.

He is more likely to give fouls against the home team though and home team players are TWICE as likely to get a red card as the away team. https://worldreferee.com/referee/artur_soares_dias/
    I was more relaxed (ok i wasnt) watxhing the ref last night having read this post. Ref certainly lived up to stereotype.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm usually always in the singing section but this time I was down pitchside in the middle of the stand. Everyone around me was very much pro kenny. They were frustrated by his late subs though. That said one fella said is lloris playing tonight after about 10 mins and I turned around and said "does he look like lloris?!" and then another guy says "oh no sure hes injured at totenham", i then replied hes retired. So many people around me with so little knowledge of football, is it always like that around there? Just daytrippers with interest in big day sporting events?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I was more relaxed (ok i wasnt) watxhing the ref last night having read this post. Ref certainly lived up to stereotype.
    haha I was keeping an eye on him too. One of the RTE commentators said "He's certainly not a hometown referee" at one point... he was pretty anonymous, I thought, but did us no favours at all in the closing minutes when the French were running down the clock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    He got crucified on twitter last night too, the ref. But I actually thought he was grand. As Pineapple Stu said during the game, a few weird decisions but overall he was pretty fair and let our players away with a bit more physicality / dark arts than I thought someone of his background would tolerate.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Irish Media is very Elite-ist = = No time for ordinary Irish People.
    Today FM the next hour also led with Johnny Sexon!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

25. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He got crucified on twitter last night too, the ref. But I actually thought he was grand. As Pineapple Stu said during the game, a few weird decisions but overall he was pretty fair and let our players away with a bit more physicality / dark arts than I thought someone of his background would tolerate.
    no complaints from me. he could maybe have booked griezman for one late lunge but overall he seemed fair.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quite happy with him myself, a few more 50:50s went the way of the French maybe, but it was fine. No time wasted on needless VAR checks was a big plus.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Quite happy with him myself, a few more 50:50s went the way of the French maybe, but it was fine. No time wasted on needless VAR checks was a big plus.
    Did Hernandez get booked for his persistent fouling of Ogbene? He gave quite a lot of very soft frees against us, and had Mbappe and Griezmann in his ear all night. Strangely added only 3 mins extra in total over 90mins of football. These were my only gripes with him, minor ones.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls