Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I replied to the post it was aimed at. Why did that confuse you?

That you don't recognize we had a rebuild on the cards says a lot about your ability to comprehend the situation to be honest. Who are these players in their prime that Kenny had by the way? Hendrick? Not exactly a lad I'd build a team around.

We lost experience and the job was to replace that with unproven players, some with a lot of potential but all with very few games under their belts. If you think Mick would have done better while sliding the FAI into further debt that's grand. I don't. He gets sacked everywhere he goes for a reason and the football he plays wouldn't have suited what we currently have. We have no centre forward to hold the ball up and Duffy went off the boil for a long time. It's debatable that he's even back to the levels he was at under Mick when we relied on him so much. It's a moot point anyway. We can't afford to hire Mick or anyone like him......although at this stage maybe he'd do it for free just to keep busy.

I would replace Kenny now if someone popped up who we could afford, who would do a better job of making sure our lack of experience doesn't cough up long range goals from the right side of midfield. That's an actual issue we have that needs a response and Kenny or the players seem unable to adjust for it. For me that's down to a lack of experience in midfield and defence. Even Whelan at 36 with no legs would do a better job of closing down those Armenian attacks. Arguably the best of the young talent Kenny has at his disposal that you claim to be better than what Mick had actually operate in that area i.e. Collins, Cullen, Molumby and yet here we are having conceded multiple goals like that against poor teams. Why? Do you think Kenny tells the team to switch off for periods in games? Or could it be that they are either not that great or not that experienced yet?
    You're just all over the place here, not really putting a coherent argument together.

Why was a rebuild needed? Didn't we come just behind Denmark and Switzerland in nearly qualifying for Euro 2020? So you're trying to claim that McCarthy had a better squad than Kenny but questioning the ability of Hendrick but also saying Kenny lacked experienced players. You have yourself in a jumble. The only player we lost was 36 year old Glenn Whelan.

I'm not saying we should have kept McCarthy, just that he demonstratively did a far superior job to Kenny. He did cost more but you know what they say about paying peanuts?

You seem to want to ignore that Kenny had all the players McCarthy had available to him apart from Whelan and most of those players were between 27 and 29. Here was the team that played Denmark just to remind you:

Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, Browne, Hendrick, Whelan, Hourihane, McClean, McGoldrick.
    Bench: Kevin Long, Clark, Parrott, Cullen, Byrne, Brady, Robinson, James Collins, O'Hara, Maguire, Travers, Judge.

They look familiar? Yes, Kenny has used them all (except Whelan and Judge?) and he's had Bazunu, Kelleher, Collins, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Molumby, Idah, Obafemi, Knight, Ogbene, Coleman and an improved Cullen post move to Anderlecht to select from.

He had a far stronger hand that McCarthy but has yet managed to turn a competitive team into a team battling it out with the minnows.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    You're just all over the place here, not really putting a coherent argument together.

Why was a rebuild needed? Didn't we come just behind Denmark and Switzerland in nearly qualifying for Euro 2020? So you're trying to claim that McCarthy had a better squad than Kenny but questioning the ability of Hendrick but also saying Kenny lacked experienced players. You have yourself in a jumble. The only player we lost was 36 year old Glenn Whelan.

I'm not saying we should have kept McCarthy, just that he demonstratively did a far superior job to Kenny. He did cost more but you know what they say about paying peanuts?

You seem to want to ignore that Kenny had all the players McCarthy had available to him apart from Whelan and most of those players were between 27 and 29. Here was the team that played Denmark just to remind you:

Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, Browne, Hendrick, Whelan, Hourihane, McClean, McGoldrick.
    Bench: Kevin Long, Clark, Parrott, Cullen, Byrne, Brady, Robinson, James Collins, O'Hara, Maguire, Travers, Judge.

They look familiar? Yes, Kenny has used them all (except Whelan and Judge?) and he's had Bazunu, Kelleher, Collins, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Molumby, Idah, Obafemi, Knight, Ogbene, Coleman and an improved Cullen post move to Anderlecht to select from.

He had a far stronger hand that McCarthy but has yet managed to turn a competitive team into a team battling it out with the minnows.
    If you didn't understand the point just say that and ask for clarification. Here it is for you, underlined just in case - Mick had a more experienced group. Kenny has a less experienced group. Time passed and Mick's group got worse or retired, particularly in key areas and that shows on the field in the form of silly lapses in concentration and goals conceded.

All the players in bold fell off a cliff in the first years of Kenny's tenure for various reasons but mostly due to time passing. They are no longer good. They were decent then and certainly better and/or more experienced than what we have in their positions now. Kenny has been forced to use some of them precisely because your list of wondrous young talent isn't actually any better. Some play at the same level as Whelan and McGoldrick then but they are still short of many years of experience.

Now, before you misrepresent my post again, I'm not saying Kenny is doing a great job. I'd be fine if he was replaced. But you can't ignore the gap we had between the core group Mick had and the players coming through now. It wasn't exactly a secret that we had players coming to the end of the line who would need to be replaced. Part of the reason we were all hopeful for Kenny was that he had done well with the group that was coming next. Could another manager have done a better job? Absolutely, but the job needed to be done.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

3. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    If you didn't understand the point just say that and ask for clarification. Here it is for you, underlined just in case - Mick had a more experienced group. Kenny has a less experienced group. Time passed and Mick's group got worse or retired, particularly in key areas and that shows on the field in the form of silly lapses in concentration and goals conceded.

All the players in bold fell off a cliff in the first years of Kenny's tenure for various reasons but mostly due to time passing. They are no longer good. They were decent then and certainly better and/or more experienced than what we have in their positions now. Kenny has been forced to use some of them precisely because your list of wondrous young talent isn't actually any better. Some play at the same level as Whelan and McGoldrick then but they are still short of many years of experience.

Now, before you misrepresent my post again, I'm not saying Kenny is doing a great job. I'd be fine if he was replaced. But you can't ignore the gap we had between the core group Mick had and the players coming through now. It wasn't exactly a secret that we had players coming to the end of the line who would need to be replaced. Part of the reason we were all hopeful for Kenny was that he had done well with the group that was coming next. Could another manager have done a better job? Absolutely, but the job needed to be done.
    How did Mick have a more experienced group? Kenny inherited the same squad minus 36 year old Glenn Whelan. These players were mostly between 27 and 29, at their peak. Mick had players like Hendrick who you don't rate but he got a performance out of them. They weren't coming to an end at all, that's just a myth perpetuated by Kenny supporters along with the whole rebuild myth. Kenny started that one after losing to Luxembourg. Just to demonstrate this point, here are the teams Kenny selected:

v bulgaria:
    Darren Randolph Enda Stevens Shane Duffy John Egan Matt Doherty James McCarthy Adam Idah Jeff Hendrick Conor Hourihane Callum O'Dowda Aaron Connolly
    v Finland
    Darren Randolph; Enda Stevens, Shane Duffy John Egan, Matt Doherty; Robbie Brady, Harry Arter, Jayson Molumby; Callum O'Dowda Aaron Connolly Adam Idah
    v Slovakia
    Darren Randolph; Matt Doherty, Shane Duffy, John Egan, Enda Stevens; Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane; Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, James McClean.
    v Wales
    Darren Randolph; Matt Doherty, Kevin Long Shane Duffy Enda Stevens; Conor Hourihane, Jeff Hendrick, Jayson Molumby Shane Long Robbie Brady James McClean
    v Finland
    Randolph; Doherty, Duffy (c), O'Shea, Stevens; Molumby, Hourihane, Horgan, Hendrick, Connolly; Maguire.
    v England
    Darren Randolph; Cyrus Christie, Matt Doherty, Shane Duffy, John Egan; Conor Hourihane, Jeff Hendrick, Alan Browne; Daryl Horgan, Callum O'Dowda, Adam Idah
    v Wales
    Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, O'Shea, Molumby, Hendrick, Horgan, Brady, McClean, Long, Idah
    v Bulgaria
    Darren Randolph; Ryan Manning, Kevin Long, Shane Duffy (capt), Dara O'Shea; Conor Hourihane, Jason Knight, Robbie Brady; Ronan Curtis, Daryl Horgan, James Collins.
    v Serbia
    Mark Travers; Seamus Coleman, Matt Doherty, Enda Stevens, Ciaran Clark, Dara O'Shea; Alan Browne, Jayson Molumby, Josh Cullen; Callum Robinson, Aaron Connolly.
    v Luxembourg
    Gavin Bazunu; Seamus Coleman, Dara O'Shea, Ciaran Clark; Matt Doherty, Enda Stevens, Josh Cullen, Jason Knight, Alan Browne; Callum Robinson, James Collins.

As you can see, there was no rebuild. It was basically the same team McCarthy was selecting. There was no talk of building for 2024, that only came after the defeat to Luxembourg which effectively knocked us out of World Cup qualification. Kenny supporters have ran with this line since. It's nonsense and he wasn't appointed by the FAI with this in mind but Kenny has many pals in the media and his supporters are hardcore (singing for him during embarrassing defeats for example). This has saved his job along with Anthony Barry coming on board to change the formation and improve tactical awareness.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    How did Mick have a more experienced group? Kenny inherited the same squad minus 36 year old Glenn Whelan. These players were mostly between 27 and 29, at their peak. Mick had players like Hendrick who you don't rate but he got a performance out of them. They weren't coming to an end at all, that's just a myth perpetuated by Kenny supporters along with the whole rebuild myth. Kenny started that one after losing to Luxembourg. Just to demonstrate this point, here are the teams Kenny selected:

v bulgaria:
    Darren Randolph Enda Stevens Shane Duffy John Egan Matt Doherty James McCarthy Adam Idah Jeff Hendrick Conor Hourihane Callum O'Dowda Aaron Connolly
    v Finland
    Darren Randolph; Enda Stevens, Shane Duffy John Egan, Matt Doherty; Robbie Brady, Harry Arter, Jayson Molumby; Callum O'Dowda Aaron Connolly Adam Idah
    v Slovakia
    Darren Randolph; Matt Doherty, Shane Duffy, John Egan, Enda Stevens; Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane; Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, James McClean.
    v Wales
    Darren Randolph; Matt Doherty, Kevin Long Shane Duffy Enda Stevens; Conor Hourihane, Jeff Hendrick, Jayson Molumby Shane Long Robbie Brady James McClean
    v Finland
    Randolph; Doherty, Duffy (c), O'Shea, Stevens; Molumby, Hourihane, Horgan, Hendrick, Connolly; Maguire.
    v England
    Darren Randolph; Cyrus Christie, Matt Doherty, Shane Duffy, John Egan; Conor Hourihane, Jeff Hendrick, Alan Browne; Daryl Horgan, Callum O'Dowda, Adam Idah
    v Wales
    Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, O'Shea, Molumby, Hendrick, Horgan, Brady, McClean, Long, Idah
    v Bulgaria
    Darren Randolph; Ryan Manning, Kevin Long, Shane Duffy (capt), Dara O'Shea; Conor Hourihane, Jason Knight, Robbie Brady; Ronan Curtis, Daryl Horgan, James Collins.
    v Serbia
    Mark Travers; Seamus Coleman, Matt Doherty, Enda Stevens, Ciaran Clark, Dara O'Shea; Alan Browne, Jayson Molumby, Josh Cullen; Callum Robinson, Aaron Connolly.
    v Luxembourg
    Gavin Bazunu; Seamus Coleman, Dara O'Shea, Ciaran Clark; Matt Doherty, Enda Stevens, Josh Cullen, Jason Knight, Alan Browne; Callum Robinson, James Collins.

As you can see, there was no rebuild. It was basically the same team McCarthy was selecting. There was no talk of building for 2024, that only came after the defeat to Luxembourg which effectively knocked us out of World Cup qualification. Kenny supporters have ran with this line since. It's nonsense and he wasn't appointed by the FAI with this in mind but Kenny has many pals in the media and his supporters are hardcore (singing for him during embarrassing defeats for example). This has saved his job along with Anthony Barry coming on board to change the formation and improve tactical awareness.
    Take off the tinfoil hat. If you think you're battling away against mysterious forces, you've usually just gone a bit too far in the wrong direction.

If you didn't see what was going to happen as the experienced players declined and had to be replaced by less experienced players, that's grand. If you didn't anticipate that might have an effect on results, that's grand too. I don't need another list of names that proves my point for me.

21 leagues and 25 cups.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Be nice to OTOH shakal@ka he's one of the few that will play devils advocate with your valid points he's not afraid to express his own views and opinions : )
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Be nice to OTOH shakal@ka he's one of the few that will play devils advocate with your valid points he's not afraid to express his own views and opinions : )
    I'm scanning this for something to play devil's advocate with.....can you clean up the last line though Paul? I'm not sure if it's a compliment or an insult......
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Armenia were beaten, albeit by the skin of our teeth, Kenny will be the manager for the euro qualifiers, all other talk is futile - blowing in the wind. The supporters are behind the team in a way we haven't seen before in this generation, the media are relatively supportive, the FAI are not going to sack Kenny. Any such talk of changing the manager is almost totally delusional. One can voice dissent, join the tinfoil hat brigade, even consider yourself as having a superior knowledge, craving for the 'I told you so' moment, but Ireland will have Kenny as manager for the next campaign.

11. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Take off the tinfoil hat. If you think you're battling away against mysterious forces, you've usually just gone a bit too far in the wrong direction.

If you didn't see what was going to happen as the experienced players declined and had to be replaced by less experienced players, that's grand. If you didn't anticipate that might have an effect on results, that's grand too. I don't need another list of names that proves my point for me.

You can keep sticking your fingers in your ears if you want, doesn't change the fact that Kenny inherited McCarthy's squad who were mostly between 27 and 29 and had an influx of youngsters making a breakthrough at their clubs. Also, there's no tinfoil hat, it's crazy that a manager with such an abysmal record has been let continue this long. No previous manager has been given this leeway.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Armenia were beaten, albeit by the skin of our teeth, Kenny will be the manager for the euro qualifiers, all other talk is futile - blowing in the wind. The supporters are behind the team in a way we haven't seen before in this generation, the media are relatively supportive, the FAI are not going to sack Kenny. Any such talk of changing the manager is almost totally delusional. One can voice dissent, join the tinfoil hat brigade, even consider yourself as having a superior knowledge, craving for the 'I told you so' moment, but Ireland will have Kenny as manager for the next campaign.
    I think he'll still be manager but I have slim hopes that the FAI will end this farce. Kenny himself stated that he was aiming to win this Nations league group, results have been appalling. Apparently he got a contract extension with stipulations. Battling it out with Armenia is below the level expected. We can still hope that the right thing will be done. By the way, there's no 'I told you so' or any of that crap you mentioned. We all wanted Kenny to succeed but for a long time now he's proven not to be up to the job. Wanting us to compete for qualification is not pie in the sky stuff. We've done it for most of the last 40 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    A great example of why this place devolves into nonsense.

The argument was being made that we have a batch of wonderful talent coming through that makes our squad stronger than it was under McCarthy. A list of our recent opponents is at best a tangential response. Are you saying Kenny has played weaker teams so our young talent should be able to accelerate their development?

We are playing a L1 right back as our most creative midfielder and none of our strikers are in any way developed. We have a 20 year old in goals and if we want to pick a more senior player we have to go with a lad who watches football from the bench most weeks. We have lost experience. Experience is important. We make stupid mistakes and concede stupid goals out of nowhere due to a lack of it. Do you need a whiteboard session?

Nobody is arguing that Kenny still shouldn't be beating some of the teams you've listed off in your response. If you actually read the thread and responded in good faith it would make for a more a more interesting debate.

As I said earlier, I'd be ok if Kenny was replaced. I just don't know how much more another manager would get out of the current squad. It should be stronger in 2-3 years. At that point it might be a more tempting job. But we are relying on some key players going up a few levels. If we could coax an Anthony Barry or similar into taking the job I'd be up for that at this point. But at the moment, it's not an ideal role and we can't pay above the odds. Easier to just let it ride. We are getting decent shifts out of players who will be critical in 2024 - Bazunu, Collins, Egan, Cullen, Knight, Molumby, Obafemi....hopefully one or two others. It's the core of a team that might do something. It could still use some experience.
    Nope, I?m arguing that young players good enough for the Championship or L1 are at a much higher standard than the vast majority of players on the teams we?ve played against.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Not sure where to put this topic but I suppose it's a big concern for Kenny looking ahead.

It seems like a lot of our players have been benched of late, especially in the English premier league. There are a few injuries but just going on players that would be seen as starters. Randolph remains on the bench. Doherty seems to be swapping with Aurier in and out, Coleman injured. Duffy starting but struggling for Celtic, Egan and Stevens regulars. McCarthy still injured. Molumby not even making the bench. Hendrick dropped today, Hourihane benched for the last few games. Arter out, is he injured? Is Connolly injured? I don't see him in the Brighton squad today. McGoldrick is coming on from the bench. I think Robinson is on the bench too. Long bench, Brady bench.

Then there are other players like O'Shea dropped, Obafemi dropped from squad, McGuire dropped, Smallbone not making the squad. I might be missing that some are injured but things haven't been going well of late. We need some of these players getting back into their teams or making a breakthrough. It just seems like a really bad run of players getting dropped recently.
    You saw the decline yourself at one stage B.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Nope, I?m arguing that young players good enough for the Championship or L1 are at a much higher standard than the vast majority of players on the teams we?ve played against.
    Yeah that's grand and we completely agree. I'm only comparing Mick's player pool with Kenny's. I'm not saying we shouldn't still beat Armenia more comfortably or even advocating for Kenny to stay.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    You saw the decline yourself at one stage B.
    I'm sure while having a look through my posts you also found this one:

Some players got older and dropped to the bench, some players improved and got into starting positions, some players remained at the same level. When you weigh all of that up, Kenny has a slightly stronger squad than McCarthy. A big example of that is McCarthy had an over the hill Whelan while Kenny has a youthful Cullen who stepped up the levels.
    Let us look closer at some of the key developments that have assisted Kenny.

Bazunu: Moved to Rochdale and Portsmouth on loan and gained a premier league move to Southampton.
    Kelleher: Started to get some game time with Liverpool although very limited.
    Travers: Made a breakthrough at Bournemouth to become a regular.
    Dara O'Shea: Became a premier league regular with West Brom and still a regular in the championship despite major injury.
    Omobamidele: Made the breakthrough at Norwich in the premier league and now a championship regular despite injury.
    Collins: Became a regular with Stoke which got him a premier league move with Burnley and then Wolves.
    Cullen: Got a move to Anderlecht which helped his development hugely.
    Knight: Became captain and championship regular with Derby.
    Molumby: Got loan moves to become a regular at championship level and now signed by West Brom.
    Idah: Made a breakthrough at Norwich to play a number of premier league games.
    Obefami: Became a championship regular and started banging in the goals.
    Parrott: Got loan moves to championship and league 1 to get regular games.

That's almost a full team of breakthroughs! My earlier post was from 2021, Kenny had a slightly better squad at that stage but looking at what he's had to pick from, the players already there and the breakthroughs, Kenny has had a far superior squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I'm sure while having a look through my posts you also found this one:

Let us look closer at some of the key developments that have assisted Kenny.

Bazunu: Moved to Rochdale and Portsmouth on loan and gained a premier league move to Southampton.
    Kelleher: Started to get some game time with Liverpool although very limited.
    Travers: Made a breakthrough at Bournemouth to become a regular.
    Dara O'Shea: Became a premier league regular with West Brom and still a regular in the championship despite major injury.
    Omobamidele: Made the breakthrough at Norwich in the premier league and now a championship regular despite injury.
    Collins: Became a regular with Stoke which got him a premier league move with Burnley and then Wolves.
    Cullen: Got a move to Anderlecht which helped his development hugely.
    Knight: Became captain and championship regular with Derby.
    Molumby: Got loan moves to become a regular at championship level and now signed by West Brom.
    Idah: Made a breakthrough at Norwich to play a number of premier league games.
    Obefami: Became a championship regular and started banging in the goals.
    Parrott: Got loan moves to championship and league 1 to get regular games.

That's almost a full team of breakthroughs! My earlier post was from 2021, Kenny had a slightly better squad at that stage but looking at what he's had to pick from, the players already there and the breakthroughs, Kenny has had a far superior squad.
    Are you saying that you disagree with your own posts? You also said slightly stronger there whereas now you are saying far superior. What is it? Lots of issues, slightly stronger or far superior?

That's a list of completely inexperienced lads who had both breakthroughs and setbacks. Taking just the strikers the reality is utterly at odds with your take.

Idah - yeah he made a breakthrough of sorts. What happened then?
    Parrot had to go down multiple levels only found any sort of form at L1 level. That's not a breakthrough.
    Obafemi - starting to make a breakthrough now....we hope!

Keepers I'd agree with to an extent. Any of those three could be better than Randolph. But they are still very raw and we've seen the inexperience show with all 3.

But look the thread knows we disagree by now and I don't think we will be finding common ground here so we can probably leave it alone. I've more pressing things to worry about today in the league!

And at least we can agree that things need to get better. Just maybe not on how much better they are likely to get.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 01/10/2022 at 7:41 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Are you saying that you disagree with your own posts? You also said slightly stronger there whereas now you are saying far superior. What is it? Lots of issues, slightly stronger or far superior?

That's a list of completely inexperienced lads who had both breakthroughs and setbacks. Taking just the strikers the reality is utterly at odds with your take.

Idah - yeah he made a breakthrough of sorts. What happened then?
    Parrot had to go down multiple levels only found any sort of form at L1 level. That's not a breakthrough.
    Obafemi - starting to make a breakthrough now....we hope!

Keepers I'd agree with to an extent. Any of those three could be better than Randolph. But they are still very raw and we've seen the inexperience show with all 3.

But look the thread knows we disagree by now and I don't think we will be finding common ground here so we can probably leave it alone. I've more pressing things to worry about today in the league!

And at least we can agree that things need to get better. Just maybe not on how much better they are likely to get.
    I said it in the post you just quoted:

"My earlier post was from 2021, Kenny had a slightly better squad at that stage but looking at what he's had to pick from, the players already there and the breakthroughs, Kenny has had a far superior squad."

It's a list of almost a team full of breakthroughs which Kenny could add to the squad that was already there. It's an incredible list, look at the team that list alone could make:

Bazunu
    Omobamidele Collins O'Shea
    Cullen
    Knight Molumby
    Obafemi Idah Parrott

Add that lot to the squad who came just behind Denmark and Switzerland and you really have to look critically on Kenny's performance.

Idah got injured, Parrott actually got games instead of sitting on the Spurs bench and Obafemi banged in 12 goals in 32 games last season. Interesting that you could only pick those 3 though. Your opinion is that McCarthy had a stronger squad but you based that on nothing. I've provided loads of data to show that firstly, Kenny had access to and used the same squad as McCarthy bar Glenn Whelan. These players were mostly aged between 27 and 29. He also had the benefit of a large number of breakthroughs illustrated above.

But yeah, obviously there won't be any agreement on this, you've made your mind up based on very little but we're all agreed that Kenny should have done better, that's for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    manning with another good performance for swansea today if fan comments are anything to go off. id love to know how hes not even part of our set up, when he should realistically be challenging to start. its one of SKs strangest decisions.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I said it in the post you just quoted:

"My earlier post was from 2021, Kenny had a slightly better squad at that stage but looking at what he's had to pick from, the players already there and the breakthroughs, Kenny has had a far superior squad."

It's a list of almost a team full of breakthroughs which Kenny could add to the squad that was already there. It's an incredible list, look at the team that list alone could make:

Bazunu
    Omobamidele Collins O'Shea
    Cullen
    Knight Molumby
    Obafemi Idah Parrott

Add that lot to the squad who came just behind Denmark and Switzerland and you really have to look critically on Kenny's performance.

Idah got injured, Parrott actually got games instead of sitting on the Spurs bench and Obafemi banged in 12 goals in 32 games last season. Interesting that you could only pick those 3 though. Your opinion is that McCarthy had a stronger squad but you based that on nothing. I've provided loads of data to show that firstly, Kenny had access to and used the same squad as McCarthy bar Glenn Whelan. These players were mostly aged between 27 and 29. He also had the benefit of a large number of breakthroughs illustrated above.

But yeah, obviously there won't be any agreement on this, you've made your mind up based on very little but we're all agreed that Kenny should have done better, that's for sure.

three of those players had long term injuries. idah barely played at PL level last year (617 mins) . knight and parrott were playing l1 last year. its a mis table championship level team once you get past the backline and thats being generous to knight
    Last edited by Jd2793; 01/10/2022 at 8:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    manning with another good performance for swansea today if fan comments are anything to go off. id love to know how hes not even part of our set up, when he should realistically be challenging to start. its one of SKs strangest decisions.
    Is he playing CB or LWB for them Jd? I recall he got moved to CB recently enough for Swansea and has been doing well but I saw him score a lovely goal there last round from what looked like a LWB position. It?d be tough for him to get a look in at CB to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Is he playing CB or LWB for them Jd? I recall he got moved to CB recently enough for Swansea and has been doing well but I saw him score a lovely goal there last round from what looked like a LWB position. It?d be tough for him to get a look in at CB to be fair.
    he was lwb today, hes been there most of the season Swans have used a 4 at the back too and hes started as lb . he had a spell lcb last season alright. find it strange kenny has 0 time for him, a token appearance vs lithuania says a lot imo. very confused by it as he is a guy whos entering "peak" years who is playing at a similar level to others regularly.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Goals scored and conceded by Stephen Kenny's team in competitive games

27. Thanks From: