Page 60 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Full List by age and caps for anyone curious.
    Code:
    Age Caps
    19 16
    Andrew Omobamidele 2
    Gavin Bazunu 7
    Troy Parrott 7
    20 17
    Adam Idah 10
    Jason Knight 7
    Nathan Collins 0
    21 9
    Aaron Connolly 8
    Conor Coventry 0
    Lee O'Connor 1
    22 26
    Caoimhín Kelleher 1
    Danny Mandroiu 0
    Dara O'Shea 10
    Jayson Molumby 12
    Mark Travers 3
    23 0
    Jack Taylor 0
    Liam Scales 0
    24 4
    Chiedozie Ogbene 1
    James Talbot 0
    Jamie McGrath 3
    25 29
    Jack Byrne 4
    Josh Cullen 12
    Kieran O'Hara 2
    Ronan Curtis 7
    Ryan Manning 4
    Sammie Szmodics 0
    26 59
    Aaron McEneff 0
    Alan Browne 16
    Callum O'Dowda 23
    Callum Robinson 20
    27 17
    Darragh Lenihan 2
    Graham Burke 3
    Sean Maguire 12
    28 48
    Cyrus Christie 28
    Derrick Williams 3
    John Egan 17
    29 207
    Daryl Horgan 16
    Jeff Hendrick 64
    Matt Doherty 23
    Robbie Brady 57
    Shane Duffy (vice-captain) 47
    30 83
    Conor Hourihane 28
    James Collins 13
    James McCarthy 42
    31 92
    Ciaran Clark 36
    Enda Stevens 21
    Harry Arter 18
    Kevin Long 17
    32 146
    James McClean 85
    Séamus Coleman (captain) 61
    34 138
    Darren Randolph 50
    Shane Long 88
    Grand Total 891

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    All fairly valid but it's not necessarily a case of players not being called up young a few of our older generation came the less travelled more laborious LOI route and so reaching their peaks at a much later stage in their careers. I'm sure we had a discussion a few years back about players saying he's still young at 23/24 and that was something some disagreed with. England are a good example of that they've a lot of players hitting their peak younger and staying at it for longer. I don't agree with the 27-32 age group as for international football that's far too short a window and a couple of tournaments.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Who was looking beyond 2022? Where was it said that we're writing off an entire campaign? This is revisionist bullsh1t. .
    It is not revisionist bullsh!t whatsoever I have not claimed to speak for the wider Irish support I have simply said that myself, and some others who I happen to speak to had generally written off Qatar 2022 as a target because of the massive rebuilding job. If we qualified then bonus perhaps but even then it the worst world cup in history so again speaking for myself I wasn’t that bothered anyway. That does not mean we shouldn’t have expected better results in qualifying than what has materialised but I can assure that is not revisionist bullsh!t as you dramatically jumped to label it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Wasnt a good draw.. ireland needed a 6 team group. Better against the croats danes or the dutch groups

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    It is not revisionist bullsh!t whatsoever I have not claimed to speak for the wider Irish support I have simply said that myself, and some others who I happen to speak to had generally written off Qatar 2022 as a target because of the massive rebuilding job. If we qualified then bonus perhaps but even then it the worst world cup in history so again speaking for myself I wasn’t that bothered anyway. That does not mean we shouldn’t have expected better results in qualifying than what has materialised but I can assure that is not revisionist bullsh!t as you dramatically jumped to label it.
    The only thing being jumped on is this change in the narrative Kenny and his supporters have decided to embrace. There was no talk of building for 2024 prior to losing to Luxembourg. He was picking what he thought was the strongest squad possible.

What was the nation's league all about? That's where he got the chance to build. You don't use a World cup qualifying campaign to build. Besides, the whole talk of rebuilding is more nonsense. We weren't amazing but we were competing with Switzerland and Denmark, we weren't minnows or at that level. Kenny has dragged us down to that level.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    The only thing being jumped on is this change in the narrative Kenny and his supporters have decided to embrace. There was no talk of building for 2024 prior to losing to Luxembourg. He was picking what he thought was the strongest squad possible.

What was the nation's league all about? That's where he got the chance to build. You don't use a World cup qualifying campaign to build. Besides, the whole talk of rebuilding is more nonsense. We weren't amazing but we were competing with Switzerland and Denmark, we weren't minnows or at that level. Kenny has dragged us down to that level.
    But aren't we "competing with" Serbia and Portugal now as much as we were Denmark and Switzerland? It's hard to establish "that level" you think we are on when you combine Serbia and Portugal with Azerbaijan and Luxembourg, yes. Hard for anyone.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    But aren't we "competing with" Serbia and Portugal now as much as we were Denmark and Switzerland? It's hard to establish "that level" you think we are on when you combine Serbia and Portugal with Azerbaijan and Luxembourg, yes. Hard for anyone.
    How many points are we behind Serbia and Portugal? That answers your question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't think you can compare rugby really. Rugby isn't really a global game, and the IRFU do have money whereas the FAI are quite poor relatively speaking.

The IRFU aren't in danger of losing a coach to London Scottish or to some Chinese team.
    I'll say!

The current Ireland Head Coach, Farrell, is English, having succeeded a South African, Schmidt. And of the Provinces, only Leinster have an Irish HC (others are English, Scots and S.African).

And this is nothing particularly new:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/edd...amned-1.964192

I suspect that since Irish rugby has the money to buy in Head Coaches from abroad, it possibly doesn't have to worry so much about developing its own? Or at least giving them opportunities at top teams?

Whereas the FAI no longer has the money for top foreign imports (for now, at least), nor does its own domestic set-up appear esp conducive to developing managers, just like the IFA.

Yet there's an irony in that the IFA got hugely lucky in appointing Michael O'Neill after he impressed at Shams, while I am cautiously optimistic for his successor, Baraclough, who had success at Sligo.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I'll say!

The current Ireland Head Coach, Farrell, is English, having succeeded a South African, Schmidt. And of the Provinces, only Leinster have an Irish HC (others are English, Scots and S.African).

And this is nothing particularly new:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/edd...amned-1.964192

I suspect that since Irish rugby has the money to buy in Head Coaches from abroad, it possibly doesn't have to worry so much about developing its own? Or at least giving them opportunities at top teams?

Whereas the FAI no longer has the money for top foreign imports (for now, at least), nor does its own domestic set-up appear esp conducive to developing managers, just like the IFA.

Yet there's an irony in that the IFA got hugely lucky in appointing Michael O'Neill after he impressed at Shams, while I am cautiously optimistic for his successor, Baraclough, who had success at Sligo.
    Only my wife could hazard a worse guess re Joe Schmidt's nationality. He isn't south African mate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Only my wife could hazard a worse guess re Joe Schmidt's nationality. He isn't south African mate
    Yep, a Kiwi - dunno why I said S African, though it doesn't vitiate my general point.

P.S. Say hello to your missus for me.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    was a little surprised to read this in an interview with Jamie McGrath: https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-3-5565802-Oct2021/
    McGrath thought he knew Kenny’s rhythms and style at Dundalk, but his selection from the start against Portugal came as a surprise: he was told only a couple of hours before kick-off.
    “He rang me a week or two before the camp, saying, ‘I’m bringing you in to play, you’re not just coming to make up the numbers.’
    “So I didn’t really know what way to take that. Obviously, to get told an hour before kick-off was such an adrenaline buzz. I just had to process it and get my touch right in the warm-up and go from there.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    was a little surprised to read this in an interview with Jamie McGrath: https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-3-5565802-Oct2021/
    A touch of the Martin O’ Neill’s ! !

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I'd never write off a WC Qualifying campaign as there are usually at most 20 in a whole lifetime and some, like me, who are getting older have much fewer left. League managers seldom get time to rebuild so why should an international manager ? What I don't like about Kenny is that he has poured scorn on everything that has gone before. William Butler Yeats said "Tread softly because you tread on my dreams". Rather than criticising what went before, I would have preferred him to say "this is how I want us to play" FULL STOP). It was interesting though that last night that there were very few attempts to play directly from a kick out which has put us in trouble on a number of occasions. Our tempo was much better. Trying to play like Manchester City won't work and perhaps he now realises that. I have seen that with Darren Moore at Sheffield Wednesday. That too usually ends in disaster. There is a place between the long ball and the play out from goal keeper 100% of the time. There are many ways to skin a cat (sorry puss). Hopefully Kenny may now realise that.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    https://www.the42.ie/ireland-legends...70450-Oct2021/

Thought this was reasonable.

We don't have big, powerful centre-forwards like Quinn/Cascarino or Walters/Murphy to default to an effective direct game. Idah and Parrott are big lads, but not old-school 1980s-style centre-forwards. Collins is effectively another Conor Sammon.

I'm all for a direct game where it can be effective (I was a big advocate of Trap between 2008 and 2011) but it's redundant for us now. Long passes, yes - we saw a few yesterday. Not aimless hoofs for an isolated centre-forward to try to chase his own flick-ons.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I'd never write off a WC Qualifying campaign as there are usually at most 20 in a whole lifetime and some, like me, who are getting older have much fewer left. League managers seldom get time to rebuild so why should an international manager ? What I don't like about Kenny is that he has poured scorn on everything that has gone before. William Butler Yeats said "Tread softly because you tread on my dreams". Rather than criticising what went before, I would have preferred him to say "this is how I want us to play" FULL STOP). It was interesting though that last night that there were very few attempts to play directly from a kick out which has put us in trouble on a number of occasions. Our tempo was much better. Trying to play like Manchester City won't work and perhaps he now realises that. I have seen that with Darren Moore at Sheffield Wednesday. That too usually ends in disaster. There is a place between the long ball and the play out from goal keeper 100% of the time. There are many ways to skin a cat (sorry puss). Hopefully Kenny may now realise that.
    Erwin Schrodinger's Football = = Keep them guessing ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Not sure where the best place for this is, but it's a good article shows we've morphed into something fairly different from what we started with under Kenny and though admitting he'd never used 3 at the back before he has now done it. Also questions the influence of Barry and whether or not the 1 in 7 is a subtle realisation/admittance of shift from policy. Either way we're clearly playing much differently to how we were at the start when some "greenshoots" were mentioned.

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-kenny-s...70889-Oct2021/
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    It's a well put together article alright. I think the hiring of Barry and the shift in style shows Kenny is pragmatic and hasn't let himself be tied down to idealism. I wouldn't rule out the 4-3-3 making a return at times, as well as playing it short more often, but the current shift is starting to get some the results and confidence that are needed to play the more idealistic way, if that makes sense. Even with the return of the more direct approach, Bazunu's ability to deliver what's actually a long direct pass, rather than a punt upfield is critical to the effectiveness. Even the more hurried clearances seem to be directed into slightly better areas a lot of the time, although I think there's still work to be done there. We still look vulnerable in the middle, Cullen has improved things, but we're crying out for another enforcer type to dominate things a bit more.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Good article. In terms of the players, this paragraph captures some important points and I agree on all fronts but believe that Idah needs to prove again why he belongs in the company he's in with:
    "Whereas Bazunu, Omoamidele, O’Shea, Knight and Idah are holding their own, Molumby, Parrott, and Connolly have struggled somewhat. He has, however, coaxed some of the best international performances we’ve seen from Hendrick, Duffy, and McClean since Euro 2016, while also becoming the first Irish manager to successfully integrate Seamus Coleman and Matt Doherty into the same team, a trick we have previously been told simply could not be done. "

I was listening to Kenny Cunningham yesterday who made the point that we look fairly content now with our back 6 which I think is accurate. We have good starters and good cover and additional options- I count 13 in total which is positive and all are of a standard that is sufficient for this level:
    Bazunu/Kelleher/Travers
    Doherty/Coleman O'Shea/Omobamidele Duffy Egan/Collins McClean/Stevens/Manning

He made the point that the blend in midfield and up front is where we have work to do, which is obvious. Cullen and Hendrick are in possession for me. I reckon Knight is the man to come. I believe he can play beside or in front of that pair. McGrath might have that capacity too. That pair can offer us very good flexibility. They play much more narrow than Ogbene but he's a compelling option too but I won't incorporate him into the below combos to make things easier:

We could have something like:
    Hendrick Cullen
    McGrath Knight
    Robinson

or:
    Hendrick Cullen Knight
    Robinson Parrott/Idah

or:
    Hendrick Cullen
    Knight/McGrath Robinson
    Parrott/Idah

Robinson is another sure starter for me. I'm going to be intrigued to see how Kenny uses Parrott and Ogbene. It says a lot that they are at League One level but are both well ahead of Aaron Connolly- rightly so in my view, even though I think he could have a short, medium and long term future in this side.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 11/10/2021 at 12:05 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    It's a well put together article alright. I think the hiring of Barry and the shift in style shows Kenny is pragmatic and hasn't let himself be tied down to idealism. I wouldn't rule out the 4-3-3 making a return at times, as well as playing it short more often, but the current shift is starting to get some the results and confidence that are needed to play the more idealistic way, if that makes sense. Even with the return of the more direct approach, Bazunu's ability to deliver what's actually a long direct pass, rather than a punt upfield is critical to the effectiveness. Even the more hurried clearances seem to be directed into slightly better areas a lot of the time, although I think there's still work to be done there. We still look vulnerable in the middle, Cullen has improved things, but we're crying out for another enforcer type to dominate things a bit more.
    Duff walking away has probably been the best thing ever to happen to Kenny because he wouldn't have picked up Anthony Barry whose had a big impact on the squad. You can see that in the formation we play is similar to Chelsea and the set piece goal back in March against Qatar was straight from his play book.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us try out four at the back again next year as we should have a few friendlies either side of the nation's league. Feel it's gonna be more 4-2-3-1 than a 4-3-3 though. We don't have the holding midfielder who can anchor midfielder as a single pivot and even struggle for a decent double pivot. Cullen has gotten better and plays well in there but we need to find a better partner in midfield for him than Hendrick whose warming the bench at Newcastle and will probably be relegated to the reserves once they bring in a decent manager.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    We could have something like:
    Hendrick Cullen
    McGrath Knight
    Robinson

or:
    Hendrick Cullen Knight
    Robinson Parrott/Idah

or:
    Hendrick Cullen
    Knight/McGrath Robinson
    Parrott/Idah

Robinson is another sure starter for me. I'm going to be intrigued to see how Kenny uses Parrott and Ogbene. It says a lot that they are at League One level but are both well ahead of Aaron Connolly- rightly so in my view, even though I think he could have a short, medium and long term future in this side.
    Feel like the third option with Robinson and McGrath behind Idah is probably our best option. Against Hungary Knight started out in a midfield three like option two but pushes up to pressure the oppositions and makes it a 3-4-2-1 and has the athleticism that McGrath wouldn't have to be more box to box. Browne has done similar and Kenny seems to rate him.

I'd like to see Parrott play the role that Idah has been playing tomorrow night. We shouldn't be going as direct at home on a better pitch. Should hopefully see more ball into feet than Bazunu picking out Idah. He's playing that link up role at MK Dons week in week out whereas Idah isn't game time.