Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Only issue with Cullen as deep lying CM is his size.. he just seems so small, though maybe I am comparing unfairly against the giants in the Serbian team.

Might there be a case to push either Collins or Omobomidele into that position? A la Paul Mc Grath in the past?
    Cullen is doing well there at the minute, but that also sounds like a potentially good option. They both look like they can play there, and we could end up with a surplus of talent at CB even if we are playing three at the back. Clark (remember him) played as a defensive CM quite a bit in his early club days.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Yes €540,000 a year (before bonuses) is hardly peanuts.

I would say if you were to add the salaries of every manager in the League of Ireland it would come to less then €540k

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    id say his "peanuts" is much higher than a lot of international managers
    You can look that up and it's a bit of a mess to be honest. Most teams at euro 2020 paid their managers more than that for example but Belgium paid Martinez around the same weirdly.

Its not peanuts but it's only about half what we had to pay McCarthy (and less than Keane got as assistant) and, at least from what I can see, about 2/3rds of the average wage for an English Championship manager which is said to be around a million euro. I think Hughton was on similar to Kenny is now before he got sacked and the average is a bit skewed by some big earners but that's how I think of his wages i.e. it's about enough to coax an English Championship manager over but....maybe not a particularly good one. Not sure what the likes of Carsley would be on or indeed Barry at Chelsea. Tuchel gets 8.5m but can't find more than that.

4. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I would say if you were to add the salaries of every manager in the League of Ireland it would come to less then €540k
    Yeah, but if you were to add the salaries of every manager in my pub league here in California up, it would come to more than 540k, and they're managing for free, on their own time, after work.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    New two year extension for Stephen Kenny. Fair play to him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e...1d1b36b872a9d2

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    A torrent of seven goals in two games against Azerbaijan and Qatar, with none conceded, is not enough to convince the FAI top brass that they should act immediately to secure Kenny’s services should he receive an offer from elsewhere that he could not refuse, but nor are they in the mood to wait till his contract actually expires next July.
    Not sure if serious. Jaysus.
    Last edited by osarusan; 17/10/2021 at 1:47 PM.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    There's a piece whereby a few stories like this are helpful in terms of easing pressure before the final two games. My view is that we need to beat Luxembourg for Kenny to stay. However, is it helpful that it turns into a "do or die" game for Kenny and his staff? Maybe the pressure is deserved (due to previous results which have us in this situation) but the pressure might not help in providing a demonstration of where we actually are.

The "it's his gig to lose" narrative is helpful for everyone involved (players and staff and atmosphere created by supporters) and it may well be valid after the last few games.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    We could Have offered him a contract on June 30th 2022 and we wouldn't have lost him to anyone else. What if Luxembourg beat us???

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Sorry i misread the article its only after the Luxembourg game that he may get the offer

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Sorry i misread the article its only after the Luxembourg game that he may get the offer
    Exactly. Reads like a speculation piece to me. I’d like to see him stay, as I think it’s worth persevering and giving him more time. I think the team is going to improve over the next couple of years, and I think we’ll be much more competitive in the next campaign.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Not sure if serious. Jaysus.
    Seeing as the writer seems to put himself in the Kenny-sceptic camp, I imagine he wrote that line with tongue firmly in his cheek.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I thought this was a worth a read

https://www.the42.ie/shane-keegan-ir...76574-Oct2021/

And would highlight this

It may still be too early to definitively say that Stephen Kenny’s Ireland have turned a corner but what we did see this week was a superbly coached side who new how to get the job done with two very different game plans.
    Whether you agree if the coaching is superb or not, it is clear coaching is improving the team. Can you say that about what's gone before Kenny? And to compare, look at the invention in our recent play and compare it to what Cardiff are doing at the moment. Cardiff are where we were; fixed structures and predictability, low percentage long balls, a reliance on set plays, and if not already - a bemoaning of the lack of players. All of which is resulting in lower morale and a team progressively getting worse.
    Last edited by ifk101; 18/10/2021 at 8:18 AM.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish
    sorry again I must speak up because we must avoid clouds , i am against Kenny and his continuity far from the EUROPA league of Nations but if the team gets victories vs portugal and lux away. .....of course Then I would accept it, his main purpose is to qualify for tourneys not developing that is the under 23 and younger teams .

Dont get too optimistic we have made the results it was supposed to be, at the moment he underachieved . He should have challenged port and serbia for 1st or 2 nd spot he was a disgrace on that quest. Moral victories my granny !!!

he did a few things good, but I think we need as Paul McGrath said a proven international manager with a certain success to make us as an impact team hard to get beaten and strong enough to cause havoc against any rivals
    We have qualified for 2 tournaments in 20 years. We have won 12 games in the last 5 years. Not even 12 qualifiers, 12 games including the last 2. We've just won our first game at home in 2 years. 18 of those 20 years, Kenny had nothing to do with. Maybe your granny would be more successful at the job than that, but we haven't.

Since he left after taking 3 points from 12 against Denmark and Switzerland, McCarthy has been sacked from one job and is about to be sacked from his next. With that in mind, I appreciate the relative stability we have atm, where we are preparing new players, for the time when they are ready and able to qualify for tournaments, away from the constant demand to either qualify or be sacked the next morning.
    Last edited by mypost; 19/10/2021 at 12:05 AM.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    We have qualified for 2 tournaments in 20 years. We have won 12 games in the last 5 years. Not even 12 qualifiers, 12 games including the last 2. We've just won our first game at home in 2 years. 18 of those 20 years, Kenny had nothing to do with. Maybe your granny would be more successful at the job than that, but we haven't.

Since he left after taking 3 points from 12 against Denmark and Switzerland, McCarthy has been sacked from one job and is about to be sacked from his next. With that in mind, I appreciate the relative stability we have atm, where we are preparing new players, for the time when they are ready and able to qualify for tournaments, away from the constant demand to either qualify or be sacked the next morning.
    APOEL doesn't count, they average 3.75 managers per season.
    Personally I'm positive towards SK as the Irish manager into the next campaign, but I'd wait until the last two games are over before offering the final review of this campaign. One thing I'm not comfortable with is his demeanor after a loss where he's bumbling words, a bundle of nerves babbling incoherently, blushing like a shy teenager and has an awkward defensive body posture, but after a victory he is the polar opposite, he is Stephen Kenny the supreme coach incarnate leading us into the places we have never been before. I prefer a bit more measured balance in a coach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    You can look that up and it's a bit of a mess to be honest. Most teams at euro 2020 paid their managers more than that for example but Belgium paid Martinez around the same weirdly.
    there was some discussion locally around Martinez last week in De Tijd and La Capitale. His salary isn't strictly correct, as he is on a separate contract for director of football at the RBBF also. not that I know what that is. I think I saw a poll where 57% of Belgians were unsatisfied with the results garnered over the last 3 tournaments (excluding NL).
    Whether that accounts for the various factions in belgium, or just le population generale, I don't know.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    There is absolutely no need for the FAI to do anything with Stephen Kenny, or his contract situation. His contract still has another 8 months to run, and he's going nowhere (to another job) regardless of the results.

this obsession with panicking over managers and contracts is bloody ridiculous. It's minnowism of the highest order.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    APOEL doesn't count, they average 3.75 managers per season.
    Personally I'm positive towards SK as the Irish manager into the next campaign, but I'd wait until the last two games are over before offering the final review of this campaign. One thing I'm not comfortable with is his demeanor after a loss where he's bumbling words, a bundle of nerves babbling incoherently, blushing like a shy teenager and has an awkward defensive body posture, but after a victory he is the polar opposite, he is Stephen Kenny the supreme coach incarnate leading us into the places we have never been before. I prefer a bit more measured balance in a coach.
    None of that has anything to do with his ability to coach, positive or negative. Personally, I don't see the issue. If he wins games, nobody cares how he sounds. Charlton wasn't the world's best orator either. But he won games, so nobody cared.

I think anyone who is waiting for the Luxembourg result doesn't want him to stay on. He's been here long enough to assess over this campaign whether enough progress has been made, in terms of players, tactics and style, to go with the results. It really shouldnt be a demand of Beat Luxembourg or Go.

Like a number of those before him, McCarthy saw this job as a route to get him back into club management. Nicosia does count as he took the job. Cardiff also take the Jesus Gil approach to hiring and firing, so if he wanted patience and stability, he went to the wrong place. Again.

27. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    None of that has anything to do with his ability to coach, positive or negative. Personally, I don't see the issue. If he wins games, nobody cares how he sounds. Charlton wasn't the world's best orator either. But he won games, so nobody cared.

I think anyone who is waiting for the Luxembourg result doesn't want him to stay on. He's been here long enough to assess over this campaign whether enough progress has been made, in terms of players, tactics and style, to go with the results. It really shouldnt be a demand of Beat Luxembourg or Go.

Like a number of those before him, McCarthy saw this job as a route to get him back into club management. Nicosia does count as he took the job. Cardiff also take the Jesus Gil approach to hiring and firing, so if he wanted patience and stability, he went to the wrong place. Again.
    Are you for real?
    Managing a team is also about character under pressure. Kenny is like a frightened rabbit under pressure, you don't think that has an effect on his management? As I said, it's just one thing and I am overall in favour , but perhaps you missed that part, the most important part.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Charlton was a great orator btw. When he spoke, everyone listened. Clear, articulate, witty, acerbic - everything Kenny isn't in front of the media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Charlton was a great orator btw. When he spoke, everyone listened. Clear, articulate, witty, acerbic - everything Kenny isn't in front of the media.
    but couldn't remember anyone's name or who the opposition were half the time! much easier for Charlton to face the press with confidence with his wc winners medal in his back pocket, the quality of squad he had available and the results that flowed from that.

SK performance in front of the cameras has improved greatly over the last few months. would be easy for him to go down the line that we don't have the players as previous managers have done. I admire the fighting spirit he shows in his interviews and the very public backing of his players even though in his heart he must know we have very limited playing resources available.