Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Hogan scored again today

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I wonder why kenny doesn't like him. If troy had his record in the championship we would be demanding him to start

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    [QUOTE=Diggs246;2093876]I wonder why kenny doesn't like him. If troy had his record in the championship we would be demanding him to start[/QUOTE

It’s obvious that there are certain players that Kenny favours and some who will probably have to work miracles to get into the squad. Once a player has been overlooked, it becomes increasingly difficult for the manager to change their mind, which implies they may have been wrong. It’s been a trait with Irish managers over the years, but as a small nation we really can’t afford capricious and stubborn managers. There’s a parallel tendency to make completely random selections to demonstrate their superior judgement and discernment - Horgan being a case in point.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I wonder why kenny doesn't like him. If troy had his record in the championship we would be demanding him to start
    Hogan is ten years older than Troy, of course we would demanding for a 19yr old in his second season to start. But yes I think Scott Hogan should have been considered over James Collins. If you're looking for a big man that might get you a goal you've got Will Keane that's more versatile in attack than Collins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Hogan is ten years older than Troy, of course we would demanding for a 19yr old in his second season to start. But yes I think Scott Hogan should have been considered over James Collins. If you're looking for a big man that might get you a goal you've got Will Keane that's more versatile in attack than Collins.
    Collins is out and O'Dowda is in
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Lightweight analysis of how Chelsea line up which seems a bit relevant to us with Barry's contribution in coaching coinciding with the increased use of the same formation.
    https://www.football365.com/news/opi...k-myth-chelsea

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Looking like an extension which covers Euro qualifying is in the offing. Fair play to him for achieving that from where he once found himself and good luck to him also, delighted for him.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40765401.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Looking like an extension which covers Euro qualifying is in the offing. Fair play to him for achieving that from where he once found himself and good luck to him also, delighted for him.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40765401.html
    "Achieving it" - You've gotta be joking. Literally the worst manager the FAI have ever employed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Is there any significant downside to waiting until the end of June and see how he gets on with teams deemed our level ( nation's league 4 games). It seems strange to me. If he does well then great news but if he does poorly and we have him for the euros?.i could understand if they were worried they could lose him to a club..but that isn't going to happen in this case

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Downside? I guess the constant buzz of speculation about his position would continue to distract from the games.

I agree it's a little premature though. I'd have probably extended his contract to the end of the nations league. If he gets trounced in that competition, there's going to be a very expensive sacking. I would have thought avoiding that should be a higher priority than minimising the risk of losing him.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    It was my understanding in similar circumstances with McCarthy (though, per Champagne Football, there was an extra level of haphazardness to that whole process) and O'Neill that doing this sort of things with contracts was at least partially down to concerns the manager could get tapped by some club after a successful campaign, so you wanted to lock them down so you'd be at least due a payoff if that happened. Is that really a concern here?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Is there any significant downside to waiting until the end of June and see how he gets on with teams deemed our level ( nation's league 4 games). It seems strange to me. If he does well then great news but if he does poorly and we have him for the euros?.i could understand if they were worried they could lose him to a club..but that isn't going to happen in this case
    For one his contract was not running to the end of the Nations League. We are still a squad in development so while results are very important in the NL we are still building towards the next qualifiers so there has to be an element of experimentation in the NL.

We have seen that the players are fully behind him, the vast majority of fans are fully behind him. We have seen the progress that has been made in the 2nd half of this campaign.

We also have no clear candidate that people are crying out for to take over the position. With a new contract you are taking that distraction away and we can now just full focus on having a good NL campaign, which we've never done, and get ourselves in good order for the qualifiers.

18. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    It would be an absolutely crazy decision to keep Kenny unless it was guaranteed that Anthony Barry would remain also. This should form a main part of the negotiation process.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    "Achieving it" - You've gotta be joking.
    No joking here Weldy. Its a very serious business.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Exactly, common sense. Well said.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    It’s pretty easy to insert a clause saying that if we come 4th in the nation’s league that they have the right to a window where they can terminate the contract prior to the euro qualifiers

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

26. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Kenny is pretty headstrong. If they gave him that deal I think he might just walk away after.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Kenny is pretty headstrong. If they gave him that deal I think he might just walk away after.
    I don't think so. He would be a failed manager and his options beyond LOI nil.