Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 177 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    Um yeah, pretty much what I was saying: asking why anybody would want to put themselves in an environment that doesn't value them - one, say, like the toxic environment you describe. Arter is a premiership quality player, now 30, with 15 caps in five years: that's not because of one short period of injury. And I don't think it's because he's the precious type either. Sooooo....
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Isn’t ideal, but he is a footballer, like say a Harry Kewell, who is constantly playing in varying degrees of pain and battling to manage it. He’s talked about the struggle to play pain free.

He’s had significant injuries in recent years to his ankle, Achilles, knee and shinbone - there could be more that I don’t know about.

Until you’re in his head, it’s hard to know how the equation all adds up, but, I’d suspect the handling of him by Keane and O’Neill led to a level of disillusionment. I’d suspect on going injuries were definitely a factor. I’d suspect varying degrees of commitment is probably a factor, as in, if McClean or Whelan were dealt the same set of cards, would they have miss so many squads? Probably not. (I’m not accusing him of a lack of loyalty but there are players who value an international match above 100 club games and plenty who, while still being loyal, don’t have that same hunger to play an international at any cost)...

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Woodgate sacked at Middlesboro. Warnock takes over. Will he keep Robbie on or bring in his his own man ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Can we please not have that kind of rubbish on here?

We are a nation of emigrants.

<MOD EDIT>
    Removed quoted post
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 25/06/2020 at 10:30 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Can we please not have that kind of rubbish on here?

We are a nation of emigrants.
    Missed that, even though I replied to the same post. Removed
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Watched Harry Arter at the weekend, the last 20 minutes or whatever. Could definitely see him as a Stephen Kenny midfielder. Was very busy, won his tackles well, used the ball intelligently and was positive in his passing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1152057/

A classy response from Kenny to a question referencing Keith Andrews and Roy Keanes comments about him being a 'bullsh!tter". Didn't get dragged into anything negative, and only spoke positively about Andrews.

""We all live in a society where people are free to express their opinions. I'm fine with that. I found Keith to be very hard-working and diligent. It hasn't come easy to him."He's worked with the Under-16s, the Under-17s, Under-18s for 18 months and then did another 18 months with the Under-21s.
    "He has got through all his licences, worked with MK Dons in the Championship and League One as a coach. He is a great analyst and a very, very good coach. He'll have a great future I feel within the Irish set-up."
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    I really wish Roy Keane would just f**k off. He is the biggest moaner in football. Roy you had the job as assistant manager and made a b*lls of it.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Interviewed on Off The Ball
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Did some research on Kenny's statement about players breaking though. Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick were born in January 1992, along with Shane Duffy and Matt Doherty. 22 international players have been born after that month, but only three have more than 10 caps - Cyrus Christie(24), Callum Robinson(12), and Callum O'Dowda(18) - and only Christie(2 goals) has scored more than once.

By comparison, from the 22 players born before January 1992, nine have more than 10 caps, and two of those have more than 50 - Seamus Coleman(56) and James McClean(72) - and three have more than one goal - McClean(10), Ciaran Clarke(3), and Alex Pearce(2). Perhaps the most alarming statistic is that (currently) there are no senior internationals born in 1997 or 1998, and only one (Mark Travers) from 1999

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    And to add to that none of Christie, Robinson or O'Dowda were developed through the Irish system. He is right that we had a real drought after 1992, it's great to have players coming through now but there is a huge gap that they need to fill.

1997 looks like a particularly weak year, only Ogbene and Jimmy Dunne really but there are a number of 1998 born players that could still develop into internationals including Masterson, Kelleher, Ronan, Doyle Hayes and Elbouzedi.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 09/07/2020 at 2:03 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    And to add to that none of Christie, Robinson or O'Dowda were developed through the Irish system. He is right that we had a real drought after 1992, it's great to have players coming through now but there is a huge gap that they need to fill.

1997 looks like a particularly weak year, only Ogbene and Jimmy Dunne really but there are a number of 1998 born players that could still develop into internationals including Masterson, Kelleher, Ronan, Doyle Hayes and Elbouzedi.
    Agree with you, I thought his language was specific on that, in that he was referrring to players who were born in Ireland. It's in direct reference to the Regional Development Programme who's first graduating class (for the want of a better expression) is either the 'about-to-become' current crop of 21s, or the recently finished crop of 21s
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

RE 1997:

Corrie Whelan could emerge. Less likely rather than more likely at age 22, but he'd have a chance to be a decent championship player if he was in England. Obviously not a regional development player. Obviously Crowley's situation is obvious. Shodipo was an absolute spark for the 21s. If he's playing for QPR, he'd be in the same boat as Ogbene. Then there's Daire O'Connor. Mentioned by both McCarthy and Kenny. Obviously it feels like all LOI players are in a state of limbo and their stock has fallen because we haven't seen them - also his move to a 2nd place Cork was probably ill advised given what happened but if he was playing for a Dundalk or Rovers, he'd be viewed in a very different light... Talbot is also probably among our 10 best keepers, just about.

But yeah, kinda **** year.

At different times there were some hopes for Ryan Sweeney, Paudie O’Connor, Danny Kane, Fuad Sule, Dylan Watts, Darragh Markey and Jordan Shipley but the ship has sailed for most of them by now…

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I think Shipley just had a decent year with Coventry and they have been promoted to the Championship so I don't think he sits in with the group you have set out there.

Not sure if Callum O'Hare is still eligible but he looks like signing for Coventry also (born early 98).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Interviewed on Off The Ball
    There's little doubt that Kenny's on the job, putting in the hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There's little doubt that Kenny's on the job, putting in the hours.
    It's absolutely wonderful. Gladdens my heart.

Trap used to make us feel like we should be grateful that he was getting DVDs sent over to him to see the players.

Also, I think it's beyond important that Kenny seems to know how to talk to people. It always seems to be of benefit to the national team afterwards. I hope we're good because in the off the field stuff he's such a change to Mick, Roy, Stan, Gio, Marco, Jack and I guess, even Brian Kerr.

And one thing on Roy Keane.....he called Andrews clueless or whatever. I remember the Danish friendly away just before him and Martin left. The microphones could pick up Keane bellowing instructions. I like a bit of Roy but he was shouting clichéd nonsense that brought me back to my days playing U-11C football. If that was being clued up for Roy than Andrews sounds grand to me.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    I worry that Kenny is being put up on such a pedestal that anything other than incredible success will be seen as a disappointment by some.

That said I am more hopeful that I have been in a long time. I am impressed that he doesn't seem to want to play down expectations at all.

I hope he is given time - at least to the end of the Euro 2024 qualifiers. Realistically it is a long shot that we will make Euro 2020 from the position we are in or Qatar 2022 given the limited places for UEFA teams compared to the euros. To qualify for either would be a huge bonus. I fear though that two failed qualification campaigns (albeit one just covering the playoffs) will see the knives out from some corners of the media.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I think implementing a cohesive strategy across our underage and seniors sides, as well as promotions younger players and at least trying to play impressive football will do. I don't think we are they result hungry. I would take a couple of barren years for the above to take place, in the knowledge that it will be beneficial in the medium to long term.

I don't think the knives will be out by all. He is showing enough positives that negative results will have a context. Under previous managers, there were average results and little positives surrounding development etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Kerr failed to qualify in two concsecutive campaigns, after we hadn't finished lower than second under the previous two managers, so I can't see that ending well for Kenny either

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Yes but we didn't finish second under Mick. We finished third.

Page 6 of 177 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast