Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 27 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Hughton would be a great option. He's 62 now, a pragmatic type of coach, and if things don't work out with a rather basket-case Forest, it's hardly an entirely outlandish suggestion to think he might take the Ireland job.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    He was also earning nearly four times as much as Kenny is being paid right now at Brighton, as far as I am aware. I don't know what he is on at Forest, but I would imagine it's beyond what we could offer, even with the tight finances over COVID. The days of the FAI attracting that level of manager are over for the foreseeable.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 13/01/2021 at 10:54 PM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    If anyone has ever been involved with a B.S. workplace investigation you know how toxic that can be. For guys like Kelly and Duff, the Ireland job is a labour of love. Kelly has a full time gig already with Everton and Duff sounds like he was dragged into the setup to start with.

Neither were doing it for the money and in that situation if you or your boss is accused of something stupid I can understand walking away.
    A labor of love for Duff and he f**ks off for no proper reason. He lett down Kenny big time who gave him the chance in the first place. Don't take the job if you leave the first time someone ruffles you feathers! Good riddance to Duff.

Dion Fannng say he was leaving Celtic anyway before he got the Irelsnd job. I can't see a assistant coach being massively missed by the players anyway.

Alsn Kelly was due to leave and this had been flagged. He suffers from asthma and didn't feel comfortable traveling etc with Covid which is fair enough.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Hughton would only be an option if he's unemployed. He'd be earning a lot less than Kenny is then. There's no way we would be affording anyone already in a decent club job. It will either be an untested up and comer, like Staunton was, or someone who has been around a while and is unemployed. I'd be surprised if we went for a domestic based manager twice in a row so less likely to go down the road of a League of Ireland or national underage manager next time around.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Hughton has managed to garner a reputation of being the man who can drag teams up to the top tier, and that will always be attractive. He's never going to be unemployed for long. I don't see why he would want the Ireland job from a career perspective, but I suppose there is always patriotism...
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if duff left over the video then i would be very disappointed in him. yes, the FAI pay his wages but he is working for the betterment of the team on behalf of the fans
    Duff was involved in the making of the video. There is no reason offered for Duff's exit, we wil just have to wait for one.
    I read some speculation about Lee Carsley coming in, one of the most ill treated Irish footballers ever. I wonder would he gamble away a safe position in England with prospects, for an unsafe position in the Ireland set up with a manager already with his backside in the bacon slicer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    It starting to feel a bit like we're wasting our time with an obviously out-of-his depth Kenny, used to dealing with semi-pro players. But I'd love to be proved wrong.

After recent events (player/coaching defections, the video scandal and our lack of credible results and performance in previous matches under his stewardship) in the possible event of Kenny falling on his sword/being relieved of his duties who would be best placed to take over from the hapless management currently in place?

Any views?
    I disagree with you. Re Duff and Kenny see post above. I do actually think Kenny made a mistake appointing Duff by not doing enough research on him - Duff seems to be a bit flaky

In our one competitive match so far we played well and should have won. especially wit the whole Connolly and Idah stuff. yes other results are disappointing but covid has had a huge impact on squads etc

mcgoldrick retiring was disappointing but thats not necessarily Kenny fault. Other factors like covid, his age and trying to focus on club come in to play.
    I'd like to see zkenny get two full campaigns.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Hughton has managed to garner a reputation of being the man who can drag teams up to the top tier, and that will always be attractive. He's never going to be unemployed for long. I don't see why he would want the Ireland job from a career perspective, but I suppose there is always patriotism...

International football is also a handy enough gig for someone who has made their money, is into their later years but still wants to be in management. Lower wages but far fewer working hours. Throw in a smattering of young talent emerging and an achievable qualification standard for the Euros (assuming that this hypothetical scenario follows a failed World Cup campaign under Kenny) and we might be a more enticing prospect to some managers than you might think.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Hughton would be a great option. He's 62 now, a pragmatic type of coach, and if things don't work out with a rather basket-case Forest, it's hardly an entirely outlandish suggestion to think he might take the Ireland job.
    We'd be relying on him to take the spectacularly bad decision to leave a good Championship job with a rich club eyeing promotion and take a massive pay cut to manage a team who've scored about three goals in as many years.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    We'd be relying on him to take the spectacularly bad decision to leave a good Championship job with a rich club eyeing promotion and take a massive pay cut to manage a team who've scored about three goals in as many years.
    Hopefully he likes a challenge when / if the time comes !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Considering Forest go through about 3 managers a year, Chris' time should be coming soon.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He has two wins on the bounce now so in decent form but, yeah, you're taking a leap of faith at that club if you think you'll see out the first year of your contract.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    A friend who has been close to the Ireland squad for many years. He speaks very highly of several of the players like Egan, Randolph Duffy and Coleman. He wasn't even going out of his way to be critical of some of them like Brady because my friend is a nice fella but little comments tell a lot with someone like him. Said what I thought from watching him - basically fancies himself as a superstar. Said McClean considers himself as the voice of the team and is quite a dominamt presence. Said that MON could be very spiky but that Keane was generally sound to staff especially if he knew them years (a bit of a dick to the players though!). Had a lot of time for Richie Dunne, Duffer and Robbie.
    Hearsay.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hearsay.
    Bungle's post is admitted into evidence as hearsay, he /she makes that very clear.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hearsay.
    Do you need any more evidence than Brady's performances to back up the claim? He waltzes around for 85 minutes avoiding responsibility and occasionally has a ping from distance or a little spurt of activity. It could be over confidence (doesn't think he has to work hard) or under confidence (imposter syndrome) but it doesn't matter as the end result is the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Do you need any more evidence than Brady's performances to back up the claim? He waltzes around for 85 minutes avoiding responsibility and occasionally has a ping from distance or a little spurt of activity. It could be over confidence (doesn't think he has to work hard) or under confidence (imposter syndrome) but it doesn't matter as the end result is the same.
    I disagree with this assessment. Brady regularly shows for the ball, and when he has it, often looks to hit dangerous balls into the box. He does get involved in the defensive side of the game, but often lacks the pace to properly close opponents down. He's got a bit of swagger, but I don't mind that. I'll take that over Hourihane who often looks literally invisible on the pitch apart from set pieces. If Brady is fit and playing regularly at Premier League level (he is this season), I'd be inclined to find a place for him in the team.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I disagree with this assessment. Brady regularly shows for the ball, and when he has it, often looks to hit dangerous balls into the box. He does get involved in the defensive side of the game, but often lacks the pace to properly close opponents down. He's got a bit of swagger, but I don't mind that. I'll take that over Hourihane who often looks literally invisible on the pitch apart from set pieces. If Brady is fit and playing regularly at Premier League level (he is this season), I'd be inclined to find a place for him in the team.
    We'd have to agree to disagree there. He has games where he looks up for it and games where he does nothing outside of the odd hollywood ball or shot from distance although I'd agree that even that is more than Hourihane typically contributes. Both have suffered from not playing regularly at club level so maybe we will see more from Brady now that he is. He certainly has the ability to be that creative force and focal point. It's a worrying trend with our best players that they don't play enough. They perhaps go up a level too far and end up on the bench when they could be playing regularly slightly lower down. It hurts us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Brady is a starter for Burnley these days and I would say he looks to be in good (not great) form.

If we had been having this same conversation a year ago I’d agree with your points but he is looking good these days in my opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Brady is a starter for Burnley these days and I would say he looks to be in good (not great) form.

If we had been having this same conversation a year ago I’d agree with your points but he is looking good these days in my opinion.
    I don't watch a lot of english football so I'm talking specifically about how he has been playing for Ireland lately. If he's getting game time at Burnley and doing well then hopefully he can translate that to his games for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I don't watch a lot of english football so I'm talking specifically about how he has been playing for Ireland lately. If he's getting game time at Burnley and doing well then hopefully he can translate that to his games for us.
    Fair enough—I’m referencing games in the past few weeks. I’d agree with your assessment of Brady’s 2020 Ireland performances, which were pretty pedestrian.