Page 142 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    A few things could have gone out way but overall can have no complaints with the ref. I didn't see it at the match but looking back, Molumby could have given a penalty away for pulling Mbappe's shirt!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I'm usually always in the singing section but this time I was down pitchside in the middle of the stand. Everyone around me was very much pro kenny. They were frustrated by his late subs though. That said one fella said is lloris playing tonight after about 10 mins and I turned around and said "does he look like lloris?!" and then another guy says "oh no sure hes injured at totenham", i then replied hes retired. So many people around me with so little knowledge of football, is it always like that around there? Just daytrippers with interest in big day sporting events?
    Relax. Some folks have busy jobs, young families, all that. I find it much harder to keep up with the football news now compared with even a decade ago. I hadn't heard Lloris had retired until a random comment a couple of days before the game. And sure, some folks are just out for the evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I'm usually always in the singing section but this time I was down pitchside in the middle of the stand. Everyone around me was very much pro kenny. They were frustrated by his late subs though. That said one fella said is lloris playing tonight after about 10 mins and I turned around and said "does he look like lloris?!" and then another guy says "oh no sure hes injured at totenham", i then replied hes retired. So many people around me with so little knowledge of football, is it always like that around there? Just daytrippers with interest in big day sporting events?
    There were a group of lads sitting around me at the Latvia game who had no idea who Will Smallbone was, one of them had to look him up.

It happens.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Back in the day I could probably recognise the starting XI for most Premier League sides. Now I doubt I can name all 20 managers without looking it up.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Every time my eye catches the signature on here with 'Long Cox' I think of Smallbone and how much has changed over the years.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Keith Treacy arguing for a 433 in June.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...or-june-games/

I agree. We need pace and trickery either side of Ferguson and we need to attack to be successful in Greece.

I really hope Ferguson, Smallbone and Johnston can stay fit. If they do I can see us being fairly comfortable angainst a deeply defensive Gibraltar, who lets's admit, we really struggled against the last time they were in our group. Although he's ridiculed I think Horgan made a difference in Andorra, as did Parrott. I think Horgan brought a bit of skill and trickery that we lacked at the start of that game.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    For anyone advocating a 4-3-3 I'd be curious to know who they would play at left back, who they would play at right back in the not unlikely even that Coleman is injured/unavailable for the game and who they would play as a number 10.

Because I don't think we have the players to play that formation to any sort of suitable standard.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Well for a start I'd play Coleman right back and if he's not available then probably Omobamidele, while Doc would remain my left back in any formation. But if we don't have Coleman and/or Doc available that changes the calculus a bit.

In Greece I don't think a 10 is needed, I'd start with the Cullen/Molumby/Knight trio and I'd have Ferguson/Ogbene and maybe Obafemi as the front 3. I think they're our best players but I wonder should Obafemi be held back as a bench option to freshen things up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    For anyone advocating a 4-3-3 I'd be curious to know who they would play at left back, who they would play at right back in the not unlikely even that Coleman is injured/unavailable for the game and who they would play as a number 10.

Because I don't think we have the players to play that formation to any sort of suitable standard.
    Formations are above my current pay grade, but nice job on the signature update

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Well for a start I'd play Coleman right back and if he's not available then probably Omobamidele, while Doc would remain my left back in any formation. But if we don't have Coleman and/or Doc available that changes the calculus a bit.

In Greece I don't think a 10 is needed, I'd start with the Cullen/Molumby/Knight trio and I'd have Ferguson/Ogbene and maybe Obafemi as the front 3. I think they're our best players but I wonder should Obafemi be held back as a bench option to freshen things up.
    Ogbene is most effective in a wide starting position, Obafemi central. If Ferguson is the focal point of a front three, Obafemi then as his substitute replacement. If it's more a 4-5-1 than a 4-3-3, I think Kenny's choice as a sub for Ferguson is Idah as he showed against French he is a good target and willing runner into channels. Part of a front three should be ideal for the type of player Johnston is.

My opinion of Knight is cooling. Thinking maybe better as an impact sub - re: Luxembourg away.

O'Shea has played RB for West Brom so should be competent there if eventualities forced that choice. Feels like he could play LB as well.

And for Greece, I'd give emphasis on getting the set plays right. We've lost invention there, for example Ogbene is good in the air but I don't recall us targeting him recently (maybe since that miss away to Armenia :-))

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    id love ogbene to be used at rwb. id particularly look at gibraltor games to use him there and greece at home too. we'll get no space v gibraltor in behind so he'll be ineffective with his back to goal as a 9. let him go rwb and use his 1v1 ability and pace out wide. it lets us get another attacker on the pitch aswell which will matter against gibraltor as we've struggled to break them down in the past.
    Last edited by Jd2793; 29/03/2023 at 2:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

I would be loathe to switch to a 4-3-3 too. Kenny deployed that for the first 10 (?) or so games of his tenure and we couldnt pull it off at all - down to the personnel mostly. We were constantly exposed out wide on the break and were ridiculously soft in the centre. I think 3 at the back and wing backs suits our playing pool far more and, to your point, not sure who fits where in a 4-3-3. Our formation at the moment gets criticized a bit as too conservative but it really doesn't have to be. Its really about who your third midfielder is and their role, your second striker and their role and the license you give your wing backs. I'd love to find a way to get Johnston on there from the start against the weakest teams and maybe thats when you try the 4-3-3 but I cant see a compelling case for it away to Greece. Or maybe you switch it to a 3-4-3 or something during the game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Last warning Paul. Next time you'll be on holiday for a while.
    Can you please provide me with the original message in notifications like I have asked for? You've deleted my comments but left your own.

Whilst I patiently wait for the above:
    I think playing any sort of 4 at the back does not suit us or get the best out of the players we have available. Doherty is not effective and shoehorning Coleman into that position doesnt really work anymore.

Re: Kenny read some other pieces than VPs yesterday and I feel its a little unfair to lay the blame at Cullens door. It's pretty clear in the second half Kenny had instructed the team to play more of the ball and be more confident. He's telling players just not capable of playing that game of doing so, CUllen then does it and causes the goal. We've conceded 10 goals or so from this same type or similar position that has led to these goals.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I would be loathe to switch to a 4-3-3 too. Kenny deployed that for the first 10 (?) or so games of his tenure and we couldnt pull it off at all - down to the personnel mostly. We were constantly exposed out wide on the break and were ridiculously soft in the centre. I think 3 at the back and wing backs suits our playing pool far more and, to your point, not sure who fits where in a 4-3-3. Our formation at the moment gets criticized a bit as too conservative but it really doesn't have to be. It’s really about who your third midfielder is and their role, your second striker and their role and the license you give your wing backs. I'd love to find a way to get Johnston on there from the start against the weakest teams and maybe thats when you try the 4-3-3 but I cant see a compelling case for it away to Greece. Or maybe you switch it to a 3-4-3 or something during the game.
    Changing would be a risk and our CBs are generally among our better players. And I literally know nothing about how Greece line up or play, which is something that has to be considered.

But I think when winning is the objective we have enough pace in the team to take the game to moderate enough opponents and expect to get goals. More Klopp than Kenny.

But although it’s game 2 and we’re on null points, overall a draw might be good, but only as long as we beat them at home and ideally the Dutch don’t win there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Back in the day I could probably recognise the starting XI for most Premier League sides. Now I doubt I can name all 20 managers without looking it up.
    I hear that, Mon Frere!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Remember we had Stevens and Doherty both playing well in the EPL? Why didn't we try wing backs then?

It probably still suits us better now but who are the two first choice options in 3 years or so?

O'Dowda?
    Ogbene?
    Lyons?
    Ebosele?
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 30/03/2023 at 4:55 PM. Reason: dupe

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Brendan Rodgers is available. Would he be interested in managing his country? I think he needs to be sounded out. Would be an excellent appointment.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Brendan Rodgers is available. Would he be interested in managing his country? I think he needs to be sounded out. Would be an excellent appointment.
    It has fallen apart on him more than once in jobs, soon as he puts his own stamp on a squad, worryingly for him it seems. He's a total b*lls*itter. Leicester wouldn't free up funds for several windows because his prior signings all made things worse. Read today he has the seventh highest wage budget in the EPL but his side four years into his time with them are in the bottom three.

Numbers wise he loses regularly from winning positions and things get worse after his substitutions, both of these things happen way more than they do to actually good managers.

It's very interesting what your interpretation of an excellent appointment is.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Was on £10,000,000 a year at Leicester too. That might be an issue!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    Also I'm pretty sure if you asked him what "his country" is he'd tell you it's Northern Ireland.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone