Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Lars Largerback former sweden head coach he usually works in a dupla.

Regarding respect from the players. Kenny's pedigree doesnt bother the players at all...S.K is a champion, didnt manage in the top leagues but the guy got trophies, and players respect that.
    Players want clear, concrete and concise directions on the football field, in Argentina we currently have a coach who never worked professionally as a coach, but who is a well-known former right-back for the Celts of Superdepor La Coruña, in Galicia

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    We dont have any decent wide attacking midfielders/forwards, my formation would be,

Randolph
    Coleman Egan Long Stevens
    Cullen
    Brady Browne
    Byrne
    Connolly Robinson

4-4-2 diamond formation.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    From my point of view it is that I believe that the great attrition is due to the functioning of the team, the tension is due to this power struggle, between those who command the group and those who obey the orders. Also, so many games without scoring a goal affect you psychologically, the team needs a little sport therapy.

Restlessness, a turmoil, and doubts then underlie and everywhere in this western world of footballers they are all going to try to save their necks rather than the coach's neck, thats for sure. In those things the players are streetwise, if they like the coach and things are successful they will back the football process, but when they stop liking him, or the results are mediocre, They could deliver bad performances. Dark arts that arent written in a board, but everyone who played this king of all sports knows a little tiny bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    From my point of view it is that I believe that the great attrition is due to the functioning of the team, the tension is due to this power struggle, between those who command the group and those who obey the orders. Also, so many games without scoring a goal affect you psychologically, the team needs a little sport therapy.

Restlessness, a turmoil, and doubts then underlie and everywhere in this western world of footballers they are all going to try to save their necks rather than the coach's neck, thats for sure. In those things the players are streetwise, if they like the coach and things are successful they will back the football process, but when they stop liking him, or the results are mediocre, They could deliver bad performances. Dark arts that arent written in a board, but everyone who played this king of all sports knows a little tiny bit.
    It’s like something written by Nostradamus. Without the foresight

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gally View Post
    We dont have any decent wide attacking midfielders/forwards, my formation would be,

Randolph
    Coleman Egan Long Stevens
    Cullen
    Brady Browne
    Byrne
    Connolly Robinson

4-4-2 diamond formation.
    I really like your formation but I wouldnt leave young Doherty and McCarthy out, Byrne is an old-fashioned 10 like the icelanic at Everton.

in a diamond i would go very similar to yours

randolph

coleman doherty egan stevens

cullen
    robinson mccarthy

byrne

Long Connolly

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    What are you basing that on?
    A friend who has been close to the Ireland squad for many years. He speaks very highly of several of the players like Egan, Randolph Duffy and Coleman. He wasn't even going out of his way to be critical of some of them like Brady because my friend is a nice fella but little comments tell a lot with someone like him. Said what I thought from watching him - basically fancies himself as a superstar. Said McClean considers himself as the voice of the team and is quite a dominamt presence. Said that MON could be very spiky but that Keane was generally sound to staff especially if he knew them years (a bit of a dick to the players though!). Had a lot of time for Richie Dunne, Duffer and Robbie.

7. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    It’s like something written by Nostradamus. Without the foresight
    Fixer82 im describing how it usually works in Southamerica, players will sing as long as the coach and his system takes them to back to back victories.

Of course, the coach and his assistants have to bear some of the blaming because they prepare the formation and the strategy, but that Welsh goal last Sunday has nothing to do with SK, as the video analysis of tetsujin showed there were 5 players who did something wrong at the same time, that's not the coach, those are individual mistakes or bad decision-making

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    A friend who has been close to the Ireland squad for many years. He speaks very highly of several of the players like Egan, Randolph Duffy and Coleman. He wasn't even going out of his way to be critical of some of them like Brady because my friend is a nice fella but little comments tell a lot with someone like him. Said what I thought from watching him - basically fancies himself as a superstar. Said McClean considers himself as the voice of the team and is quite a dominamt presence. Said that MON could be very spiky but that Keane was generally sound to staff especially if he knew them years (a bit of a dick to the players though!). Had a lot of time for Richie Dunne, Duffer and Robbie.
    It looks like McClean is a great person,
    I like him, but where to place him I think if we play left wing back can still perform. S.K has to solve this riddle or they will sack him next year. 4-3-3 is too open for us unless we are clinical up front

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I really like your formation but I wouldnt leave young Doherty and McCarthy out, Byrne is an old-fashioned 10 like the icelanic at Everton.

in a diamond i would go very similar to yours

randolph

coleman doherty egan stevens

cullen
    robinson mccarthy

byrne

Long Connolly

Like your team also, come on SK, make it happen

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Several of our key senior players will have either played under him or against him in the LOI and his record stands for itself there.

Many of the young players have played under him in the under-21s.

I don't buy the nonsense about players having doubts due to his past experience. It's speculation from people who are looking for an excuse. The fact people are willing someone who has come through our own system, to fail as manager of the senior Irish setup, speaks volumes about the 'greatest fans in the world'.
    Could we have players big enough with Ronaldo like delusions to have doubts about Kenny? By all accounts Kenny has taken a lot of time over the summer contacting each and every player and talking to them at length. Also if the account is true that part of the video content was flagged to Kenny before he presented it to the players, that leads me to suspect the malcontent was someone outside the squad of players.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    yeah I mean yeah,
    but players will support the guy until the spotlight of public domain is on them, they actually wanna achieve something, the match vs England maybe,you know, some senior players didnt wanna do the match. Logistically made sense, but sportively was wrong and quite unnecessary. This agenda may have caused some distancing among parties, coaches and players, maybe, then you have the suits, and they play a total different game as it is well documented over the years everywhere in the beautiful game

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    fai statement on Kenny anti-english comments

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40087331.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I'm not sure who's willing him to fail? Kenny did an excellent job with Dundalk and the u21's and did fine jobs elsewhere except for Dunfermline. It's a decent record but at quite a low level. He has it all to prove at senior international level. He hasn't made a good start at all but it's early days.
    It's possible that Kenny wont be a success with Ireland, I hope that he is given the time to show one way or another whether he is up to the task and for there not to be that question mark if the trigger gets pulled prematurely. We also could end up in that 'be careful what is wished for' situation. Who is out there that wants to take on a thankless rebuilding job of the calibre that would escape instant criticism ie managed at the top of the EPL with some style. We would probably be looking at an Allerdyce type appointment. He could get early results but at the expense of longer term overall improvement. We have been on a gradual slide for a long time and are no longer an attractive proposition for managers, even if out of work.

On the Dunfermline spell that Kenny had, I have always felt it harsh to rule that as complete failure. They were 10+ points adrift at the bottom of the SPL when he was appointed and got them within a chance of staying up the last day after winning 5 or 6 games on the bounce, St Mirren came from 2 goals down to win 3-2 in their great escape relegating Dunfermline. Getting to the SFA Cup Final, beating Hearts and Hibs and Rangers on the way is no mean feat. The following season big things were expected but didnt happen as a basketcase financially with a squad that needed a massive overhaul and it was also the season that Gretna were splasing the cash. They picked up a draw in the UEFA Cup as a 1st div side too.

The following year his Derry side beat Gothenburg, hammered Gretna, and frightened the bejaysus out of PSG. His European record at Dundalk also shows there is more to him than domestic ability. Win the odd game ok, but regularly punch above the weight with results and its more than gutsy, backs to the wall stuff.

He was a lot less experienced for a lot of the above and has plenty to learn and adapt for international management. Time will tell but right now beggars cant be choosers either.

15. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It's possible that Kenny wont be a success with Ireland, I hope that he is given the time to show one way or another whether he is up to the task and for there not to be that question mark if the trigger gets pulled prematurely. We also could end up in that 'be careful what is wished for' situation. Who is out there that wants to take on a thankless rebuilding job of the calibre that would escape instant criticism ie managed at the top of the EPL with some style. We would probably be looking at an Allerdyce type appointment. He could get early results but at the expense of longer term overall improvement. We have been on a gradual slide for a long time and are no longer an attractive proposition for managers, even if out of work.

On the Dunfermline spell that Kenny had, I have always felt it harsh to rule that as complete failure. They were 10+ points adrift at the bottom of the SPL when he was appointed and got them within a chance of staying up the last day after winning 5 or 6 games on the bounce, St Mirren came from 2 goals down to win 3-2 in their great escape relegating Dunfermline. Getting to the SFA Cup Final, beating Hearts and Hibs and Rangers on the way is no mean feat. The following season big things were expected but didnt happen as a basketcase financially with a squad that needed a massive overhaul and it was also the season that Gretna were splasing the cash. They picked up a draw in the UEFA Cup as a 1st div side too.

The following year his Derry side beat Gothenburg, hammered Gretna, and frightened the bejaysus out of PSG. His European record at Dundalk also shows there is more to him than domestic ability. Win the odd game ok, but regularly punch above the weight with results and its more than gutsy, backs to the wall stuff.

He was a lot less experienced for a lot of the above and has plenty to learn and adapt for international management. Time will tell but right now beggars cant be choosers either.
    Yeah, the issue or maybe this distancing, just is maybe wiith the formation not with the strategy, we were in possession but as Paul McGrath wrote we werent able to threat the opposition,
    We can pass it around without any sense of purpose all the time we want,, and that is not progressive football

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Yeah, the issue or maybe this distancing, just is maybe wiith the formation not with the strategy, we were in possession but as Paul McGrath wrote we werent able to threat the opposition,
    We can pass it around without any sense of purpose all the time we want,, and that is not progressive football
    When your team is missing Coleman, Doherty, Stevens, Egan, McCarthy, Arter, Browne, Hendrick, Robinson, O’Dowda, Connolly, McClean, Long and Idah, the players you’re working with may not be as capable of implementing the type of football that you want.

Everything has conspired against a quick turnaround. He’s had to call up a squad of 42 players during those 3 windows. Third choice right back playing, third choice left back playing etc etc etc. You could argue that we were missing 9 of our first 11 and 6 of the 9 first choice replacements for those players. Kenny is having to play players who aren’t ready or aren’t good enough, not out of choice but out of necessity. Players can’t build partnerships because they’re chopping and changing. Egan plays and then is a Covid scare, then Long comes in and injures his eye, then Doherty covers the rest of the game. Then O’Shea comes in for the next match. Doherty has had to cover right back, centre back and left back. Egan had missed 5 games basically (minus 10 mins). Stevens has missed 3 games. Coleman has missed 6 games. Connolly has missed 5 games. Robinson too. Think McCarthy 7 and Arter 6.

At to be honest, we’ve missed a lot of chances. Rewatched the latest Bulgaria highlights and Collins could or should score 4. Brady, Duffy and Knight too.

It’s not as simple as saying that, but in virtually every game, except for the England game. The result hasn’t reflected the chances created. The overall performances have been mixed but we’ve created more chances in these games than any group of games since Euro 2016.

18. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    When your team is missing Coleman, Doherty, Stevens, Egan, McCarthy, Arter, Browne, Hendrick, Robinson, O’Dowda, Connolly, McClean, Long and Idah, the players you’re working with may not be as capable of implementing the type of football that you want.

Everything has conspired against a quick turnaround. He’s had to call up a squad of 42 players during those 3 windows. Third choice right back playing, third choice left back playing etc etc etc. You could argue that we were missing 9 of our first 11 and 6 of the 9 first choice replacements for those players. Kenny is having to play players who aren’t ready or aren’t good enough, not out of choice but out of necessity. Players can’t build partnerships because they’re choppin g and changing. Egan plays and then is a Covid scare, then Long comes in and injures his eye, then Doherty covers the rest of the game. Then O’Shea comes in for the next match. Doherty has had to cover right back, centre back and left back. Egan had missed 5 games basically (minus 10 mins). Stevens has missed 3 games. Coleman has missed 6 games. Connolly has missed 5 games. Robinson too. Think McCarthy 7 and Arter 6.

At to be honest, we’ve missed a lot of chances. Rewatched the latest Bulgaria highlights and Collins could or should score 4. Brady, Duffy and Knight too.

It’s not as simple as saying that, but in virtually every game, except for the England game. The result hasn’t reflected the chances created. The overall performances have been mixed but we’ve created more chances in these games than any group of games since Euro 2016.
    Yeah, but a lot of teams had experienced the same, it is odd the irish had so much missing players, withdraws its odd, James McCarthy's is the only one who isnt strange,

we played qualieswith people coming from there, only a few injuries I think Dybala and another guy, Ocampo from Sevilla..

It is weird, but for me we should have at least had won the last one

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    maybe in southamerica they are not testing that well, Suárez got covid withdraw was the only one I can come up with

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I dont see it as particularly unusual that a whole load of players had to withdraw with covid issues. One person in the camp tests positive and it was always likely to spread. It'd be interesting to see if infection has become an issue for any player returning from international duty as players could have been carriers in the early stages undetected and potentially infected opposition where there was inevitable close contact. It was all a learning curve but we were hit early and could barely field a team in the end. Other squads could well be hit but by now are all back at their clubs - possibly isolating. Info on these players could put some perspective on the outbreaks and whether we were unlucky or the system in place didnt work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Brady apparently was one of the players to come out very strongly in support of Kenny
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

23. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Getting rid of Kenny doesn't automatically mean we go back to a long ball game. It's not an either/or choice. It may be a different game plan or the same one with a manager who can implement it effectively if Kenny proves he's not capable of it.
    Yeah but, realistically, we're going to go for a big name and that limits you to a few out of work guys from Ireland/UK, and they tend to be of the more rudimentary variety. We're not going to get rid of Kenny and make Andrews or Kenny Cunningham the manager.