Page 67 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    They whys of it don't really matter - he was not at all comparable to Kenny in the speaking-to-the-media stakes as mypost has suggested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    Are you for real?
    Managing a team is also about character under pressure. Kenny is like a frightened rabbit under pressure, you don't think that has an effect on his management? As I said, it's just one thing and I am overall in favour , but perhaps you missed that part, the most important part.
    He's just pulled two big wins out of the bag under pressure from everyone. Pundits, fans, former players, possibly the FAI also, who want journeymen like Allardyce and Bruce in to get us back to hoofball, or as they call it "pragmatism".

There's been 18 months to assess his character, and almost as many games. Whether it's good or not, won't be suddenly changed by the result in Luxembourg. Either way, we're not going to the tournament, because the players are nowhere near the standard required at this time.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    He's not great in front of the cameras. And never has been from my recollection of his time at Bohs. But it doesn't actually matter that much or at all. It is just used by those with an agenda as another stick to beat him with when things don't go our way. No ole ole party times.

He cares a lot, he is passionate about his country and the potential of this team and he is likable. That matters a hell of a lot more.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I'll disagree about the importance of the Luxembourg game btw. Beating Azerbaijan and Qatar so comfortably months after unconvincing 1-1 draws against them showed definite signs of improvement, tempered by a realisation of how rubbish the two sides were this month.

If we can beat Luxembourg equally comfortably, then there's a definite pattern of improvement starting to emerge. If we struggle against them and revert to the crap we were playing just last month at home to Azerbaijan in particular, then it's an indication that maybe this we were a bit fortunate to meet bad teams on off days this month.

You don't make a decision on the back of that one game, but it's definitely part of a larger pattern in whether he should be offered a new contract.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'll disagree about the importance of the Luxembourg game btw. Beating Azerbaijan and Qatar so comfortably months after unconvincing 1-1 draws against them showed definite signs of improvement, tempered by a realisation of how rubbish the two sides were this month.

If we can beat Luxembourg equally comfortably, then there's a definite pattern of improvement starting to emerge. If we struggle against them and revert to the crap we were playing just last month at home to Azerbaijan in particular, then it's an indication that maybe this we were a bit fortunate to meet bad teams on off days this month.

You don't make a decision on the back of that one game, but it's definitely part of a larger pattern in whether he should be offered a new contract.
    Id agree with this tbh and I'm a big Kenny backer. I think we need a good performance against Portugal and need to beat Luxemburg to continue the momentum that has been build in last 2 games and keep the positivity going. If we dont beat Luxemburg I think there will be a cloud back over the squad going into the Nations League and there will be questions about Kennys contract all the way through the winter.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Squad announcement must be out soon? anyone know

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Probably won't be until this time next week.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Scott Hogan doesn't seem to be on kennys radar. Technical question is that because Hogan is suited to a 4-5-1 or the trad -4-4-2 with Niall Quinn beside him!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Scott Hogan doesn't seem to be on kennys radar. Technical question is that because Hogan is suited to a 4-5-1 or the trad -4-4-2 with Niall Quinn beside him!
    I get a sense that once Kenny has taken a view on a player, he’s in no hurry to change his mind. Clark and Obafemi seem to be equally distant figures in his calculations.Hogan is a way better option than some of the strikers we are picking at the minute, many of whom are desperately short of minutes and actual goals.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I get a sense that once Kenny has taken a view on a player, he’s in no hurry to change his mind. Clark and Obafemi seem to be equally distant figures in his calculations.Hogan is a way better option than some of the strikers we are picking at the minute, many of whom are desperately short of minutes and actual goals.
    Arent we all guilty of that. Everyone has their favorites and guys they dont like. Yeah as the manager he needs to be more flexible in his opinion but I havent seen Clark and Obafemi do anything to make him change his mind

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Arent we all guilty of that. Everyone has their favorites and guys they dont like. Yeah as the manager he needs to be more flexible in his opinion but I havent seen Clark and Obafemi do anything to make him change his mind
    Clark is playing regularly in the Premier League and can cover three positions. Obafemi has at least scored a goal or two since regaining fitness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Clark is playing regularly in the Premier League and can cover three positions. Obafemi has at least scored a goal or two since regaining fitness.
    Just playing doesnt mean they are doing anything to change his mind.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Plays for the second worst defence in the league and could find himself looking for a new club soon with Howe coming in, and if so he'll have to drop a level imo. Also bar one game in 15/16 it's ten years since he played games in midfield. Be like claiming Ryan Manning is an option up front because he played up front.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Plays for the second worst defence in the league and could find himself looking for a new club soon with Howe coming in, and if so he'll have to drop a level imo. Also bar one game in 15/16 it's ten years since he played games in midfield. Be like claiming Ryan Manning is an option up front because he played up front.
    Ciaran Clark has been playing well at a desperate, loose-cannon club. Kenny has treated him appallingly. I applaud the occasional poster here who challenges Clark's de facto sacking at the hands of a manager riding the glorious crest of one competitive victory. The post quoted above is classic fanboy Kennyism.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I like Clark and should be in the squad because if Egan and Duffy get a double miss of action for whatever situación. Weve got youngsters and Doherty

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Ciaran Clark has been playing well at a desperate, loose-cannon club. Kenny has treated him appallingly. I applaud the occasional poster here who challenges Clark's de facto sacking at the hands of a manager riding the glorious crest of one competitive victory. The post quoted above is classic fanboy Kennyism.
    Wow, Ciaran Clark is now the stick we are beating managers with!

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The only stick is his record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Not exactly Wes or Andy Reid is it?

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Not exactly Wes or Andy Reid is it?
    Probably played more PL games than either of them. It’s just a strange omission. What’s he done wrong? I’d still have preferred to see him coming on as a left back replacement than McClean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Probably played more PL games than either of them. It’s just a strange omission. What’s he done wrong? I’d still have preferred to see him coming on as a left back replacement than McClean.
    Yeah Clark is a bit of an odd one but I think we have more than enough cover there. Hes not a stand out player.

Jeff Hendrick and Robbie Brady prob have more PL games than Wes or Reid too but I know who I would rather have in the squad. I just dont think that you should be automatic just because you are in PL