Page 31 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    "Three of the least feared strikers across three divisions" is what was posted. That is different to them not being "remotely feared strikers." I am very sure there are plenty strikers that are less feared in the three divisions.
    At least they have the element of surprise on their side !

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    "Three of the least feared strikers across three divisions" is what was posted. That is different to them not being "remotely feared strikers." I am very sure there are plenty strikers that are less feared in the three divisions.
    You would struggle to find too many of them.

Either way, it may be a little bit exaggerated or tongue-in-cheek, but it certainly isn't "mind boggling ignorance" as you suggested. It's pretty close to being the truth.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40234415.html

New assistant to replace Duff. Anthony Barry, coach at Chelsea and previously worked with Paul Cooke at Wigan. Not someone I've heard of, but good to see a different name there and it sounds like he's highly thought of.

https://talksport.com/football/78475...-clean-sheets/

this is interesting, credited for doing a lot of work with Chelsea in terms of set pieces. Something that's arguably a Kenny weakness.

Apparently he was also recently offered the Fleetwood manager job but turned it down (after the Lampard sacking at Chelsea) so he's clearly in demand. Might not stay around too long would be the worry.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 26/02/2021 at 3:52 PM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Looks a very interesting appointment, even imaginative.
    According to Wikipedia, he's still a first team coach with Chelsea.
    I take it that he'll be a concurrent coach.
    Last edited by geysir; 26/02/2021 at 7:01 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Dan McDonnell covered the story today in the Indo. He stated that Kenny wanted a young coach, operating at a high level and on top of trends and developments. Apparently Barry was on the same pro licence course as Lampard and Jody Morris and was marked out as the star pupil on the course. So when Lampard took the Chelsea job, he made the approach to Barry who had three years of experience at Wigan at that point. The piece states that there is a feeling that's Chelsea are happy for him to broaden his experience and points to the example of Steve Holland, who managed roles at Chelsea and with England for 8 years.

An interesting little comparison was made with Duff and how Duff's top level experience was at Celtic whilst Barry is coming from Chelsea. I think the impression is that, as well as being a better team with better players, the set up is far superior at Chelsea. It's very difficult for anyone to say who is a better coach and we all know Duff was a better player and a bigger name.

But, overall, it smells like a really good appointment to me.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Having been previously unaware as to who Barry even was, I am seeing him now being the man to provide detailed instructions to Chelsea substitutes before they enter the fray. That's surely an indication that he's an important part of their set up. Interesting.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Having been previously unaware as to who Barry even was, I am seeing him now being the man to provide detailed instructions to Chelsea substitutes before they enter the fray. That's surely an indication that he's an important part of their set up. Interesting.
    Looks like a Good Get from Kenny. Hope so anyway.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Have no idea how good or bad Barry is, had never heard of him before this but isnt it refreshing that we've moved on from the "jobs for the boys" mentality that was at the FAI. I'm not suggesting that Duff or Andrews was that, I'm more talking about the Noel Kings and Don Givens of the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Kenny is doing a Q&A with supporters clubs at 7pm. Hopefully will have something interesting to say

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Kenny is doing a Q&A with supporters clubs at 7pm. Hopefully will have something interesting to say
    Some points from the Eire Guide page

⚽ Darren Randolph is out through injury for the upcoming internationals, Caoimhin Kelleher is a doubt and only returns to Liverpool training this weekend.
    ⚽ Gavin Bazunu praised highly.
    ⚽ David McGoldrick won't be returning.
    ⚽ Yes Seamus Coleman and Matt Doherty can be accommodated in the team.
    ⚽ Neither Callum O'Hare or Nathan Redmond (a real surprise) are eligible.
    ⚽ John Joe Patrick Finn is considering his options.
    ⚽ Josh Cullen has taken his game up a level at Anderlecht and gives us an option. Chief scout watched him in action last weekend. Good indication he could be a starter.
    ⚽ Liam Delap has been contacted but remains an England player.
    ⚽ Chief scout Ruairi Higgins will be at the EFL cup final this weekend at Wembley and will report back on assist-king Aiden McGeady and Lee O'Connor.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I listened to most of it and I always think he comes across very well. I like the way he talks about how he wants the team to play and at the risk of sounding like Kevin Keegan Id love it if he was was able to prove the doubters wrong.

I still think he suffered from the most ridiculous bad luck with the amount of players that have been in and out of his squad with injuries and covid, but hopefully that means hes due some good luck come the qualifiers.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    Probably the most positive take away for me is the praise of Cullen. I did fear that Kenny maybe had a blind spot there because he was too old for his under 21 team and maybe didn't rate him for some reason. I'd like to see both him and Knight play in midfield alongside one of the more experienced midfielders in these games.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Probably the most positive take away for me is the praise of Cullen. I did fear that Kenny maybe had a blind spot there because he was too old for his under 21 team and maybe didn't rate him for some reason. I'd like to see both him and Knight play in midfield alongside one of the more experienced midfielders in these games.
    They are small, in height, the pair of them in the middle no ? Thinking set pieces either end particularly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    Neither is likely to score from a set piece alright but that's not what they would be in there for. I wouldn't go against them for that reason defensively either, we probably need to look more towards our back four to pick up the bigger men from set pieces.

I just think those two can potentially give us a bit more bite and forward drive from midfield in a way that we've been lacking for a few years now.

Longer term I like Molumby for the same reason, but it's obviously hard to justify picking him at the moment when he's in and out of the Preston side and clearly behind Browne in the pecking order there.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    I listened to most of it and I always think he comes across very well. I like the way he talks about how he wants the team to play and at the risk of sounding like Kevin Keegan Id love it if he was was able to prove the doubters wrong.

I still think he suffered from the most ridiculous bad luck with the amount of players that have been in and out of his squad with injuries and covid, but hopefully that means hes due some good luck come the qualifiers.
    Any mention of the O'Leary keeper at Bristol from him ? He was supposed to be sorting out his papers when Mick called him up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Any mention of the O'Leary keeper at Bristol from him ? He was supposed to be sorting out his papers when Mick called him up.
    He mentioned a few names, there was a couple I didnt recognize. To be honest, O'Leary could have been one of them but I dont remember

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Last night in full : https://t.co/D952A9l3uy?amp=1

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    He metioned him as an option as well as Ian Lawlor.

24. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Redmond not being eligible is pretty hilarious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Redmond not being eligible is pretty hilarious.
    Pure farce, I think he himself said he was at some stage, or an agent looking to ratchet the FA for him. Then most recently we have our national team manager at the time, Mick Mack publicly saying he has sussed him out again but to no avail or no reply or whatever. Down with this kind of thing as Father Ted would say. Time it stopped.

27. Thanks From: