Page 78 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3536

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Obafemi is our form senior striker at the moment and deserves a call up.

Kenny needs to get over whatever he didn't like about him and give him a chance.

He's way past our u21 level. He's right to tell them to f**k off!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post

Kenny needs to get over whatever he didn't like about him and give him a chance.

Yet the lads playing at his level and above accepted the call up happily. There's a way to do things and he seems to continually get it wrong.

I hope everything works out for him but he'd want to have a word with his agent. Playing a few 21s games to show you're willing to work and listen is a small sacrifice at his age. He's done nothing to justify telling anyone to **** off at any level of international football. A bit of form at club level has finally arrived but he has a long way to go to get to that level. It took Keane over a decade and a few trophies I think.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    "Yet the lads playing at his level and above accepted the call up happily"

I'm not sure this is correct. Smallbone and Evan arnt really first team players.

I agree obefemi is a tulip but the rep of Ireland senior team have a bunch of games coming up and we don't have any strikers in better form then him. Apart from the fact he is on fire he brings real pace which we need big tme. If kenny doesn't call him up its not a good sign that he sticks with will Keane and not obefemi.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    "Yet the lads playing at his level and above accepted the call up happily"

I'm not sure this is correct. Smallbone and Evan arnt really first team players.

I agree obefemi is a tulip but the rep of Ireland senior team have a bunch of games coming up and we don't have any strikers in better form then him. Apart from the fact he is on fire he brings real pace which we need big tme. If kenny doesn't call him up its not a good sign that he sticks with will Keane and not obefemi.
    The fact that he was called up to the U21’s indicates that he wasn’t in Kenny’s mind for a call-up to the senior squad. That’s worrying. If he’d accepted the call he’d have missed the chance to play for the seniors, by refusing it he gives Kenny the excuse for not calling him up. I’ll be very pleasantly surprised if he is in the squad.This is no way to treat a player who merits selection and provides us with a better striking option than what’s otherwise available.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Yet the lads playing at his level and above accepted the call up happily. There's a way to do things and he seems to continually get it wrong.

I hope everything works out for him but he'd want to have a word with his agent. Playing a few 21s games to show you're willing to work and listen is a small sacrifice at his age. He's done nothing to justify telling anyone to **** off at any level of international football. A bit of form at club level has finally arrived but he has a long way to go to get to that level. It took Keane over a decade and a few trophies I think.
    There's no unwritten rules about having to earn your dues by playing for tbe 21s first.
    A stint for what in the U21s?

He is our best senior striker on current form.

Kenny needs to win football matches and to do that he should pick the players on current form thst will give us the best chance to do that.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Good to see most of the striking options actually scoring this week anyway. Obafemi, Connolly, Robinson and Keane all on the scoresheet. Would imagine they’ll likely all be in the squad along with Parrott seeing as he’s broken his duck too. Nice to have options in some form this time around at least.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    There's no unwritten rules about having to earn your dues by playing for tbe 21s first.
    A stint for what in the U21s?

He is our best senior striker on current form.

Kenny needs to win football matches and to do that he should pick the players on current form thst will give us the best chance to do that.
    Granted, L1 is not the Championship, but Keane's 18 goals in 34 games must count for something. Consistency is a useful attribute in a striker.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Any idea when the squad announcement is? Pretty much always around 1pm on the Thursday… maybe a delay due to Patrick’s day but with another bank holiday Friday, who knows…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Given how isolated Crawford has left his strikers with his team setups this campaign, I wouldn't be tripping over myself for a call up to that team if I was him either.
    That is a really important to point.

Evan Ferguson looked so out of his depth in Luxembourg - due to the fact he was so isolated - at a time when he was lighting up PL2.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

Did you see him with the 21s in his last appearance? "Sh!te" would do a total disservice to previous Sh!te performances.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    The fact that he was called up to the U21’s indicates that he wasn’t in Kenny’s mind for a call-up to the senior squad. That’s worrying. If he’d accepted the call he’d have missed the chance to play for the seniors, by refusing it he gives Kenny the excuse for not calling him up. I’ll be very pleasantly surprised if he is in the squad.This is no way to treat a player who merits selection and provides us with a better striking option than what’s otherwise available.
    I'm still unclear as to what happened to be honest but I don't know how you can say he's been treated poorly. Sure the squad hasn't been announced. This lad has only just found a bit of form after a few years of struggles. A game or two with the 21s would have done him no harm but he's opted to force the managers hand. It's risky at best.

Hopefully they can get the agent out of the frame and have a chat about how to get the lad into the seniors. I also want him there if he's the best option. But if the plan was to start him with the 21s and then move him up and he has refused to get on board with that then I'd question his attitude again. We know Kenny wants to have the 21s more integrated and make it a genuine platform. The likes of Ebosele and Smallone had no issue with the call up. As Kingdom mentioned he hasn't exactly lit it up at that level previously. I'd agree he is, on paper, the form striker, but he keeps playing the big time charlie and as much as I like confidence in a player I think he'd be better advised to take any international call up he gets. He's at the start of his career.

Makes the squad announcement a bit spicier anyway!

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I'm still unclear as to what happened to be honest but I don't know how you can say he's been treated poorly. Sure the squad hasn't been announced. This lad has only just found a bit of form after a few years of struggles. A game or two with the 21s would have done him no harm but he's opted to force the managers hand. It's risky at best.

Hopefully they can get the agent out of the frame and have a chat about how to get the lad into the seniors. I also want him there if he's the best option. But if the plan was to start him with the 21s and then move him up and he has refused to get on board with that then I'd question his attitude again. We know Kenny wants to have the 21s more integrated and make it a genuine platform. The likes of Ebosele and Smallone had no issue with the call up. As Kingdom mentioned he hasn't exactly lit it up at that level previously. I'd agree he is, on paper, the form striker, but he keeps playing the big time charlie and as much as I like confidence in a player I think he'd be better advised to take any international call up he gets. He's at the start of his career.

Makes the squad announcement a bit spicier anyway!
    Agree with all this - think he will get the nod through lack of better alternatives but not a fan of the way he's going about it or at least how I perceive how he's going about it based on what I've read.

It just wouldn't make sense to have the likes of Hogan or someone in the LOI in ahead of him at the moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Did you see him with the 21s in his last appearance? "Sh!te" would do a total disservice to previous Sh!te performances.
    I did and you're right. And I was never too impressed by him even after he had scored in the PL at Chelsea and United. But what can't be denied is that he has recently found his feet at a level we can't scoff at. Scoring "striker's goals" isn't something many of our guys can do. Does he fit the system or desired way of playing? Debatable, but let's see. I think it'd be mad not to call him up. Idah has a vacated a space. I'd call up Keane too.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'm not sure we should be picking squads in 2022 based on performances from 2020 though. Especially in terms of younger, developing players. I do think an over-reliance of judgement based on how players played for him at Under 21 level is a potential weakness in Kenny. Players make significant jumps of improvement in relatively short periods of time at that age, others look good but then don't kick on to the next level.

Bringing in Lee O'Connor to the senior squad over McNamara last summer was a blatant example of this, leaving out Obafemi would be another.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'm not sure we should be picking squads in 2022 based on performances from 2020 though.
    Did he not play in 2021 under Crawford though? I think that's what Kingdom was referring to. I can't remember any more!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I believe his last appearance for Ireland was back in 2020.

22. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Yeah, November 2020, as a late sub away to Luxembourg.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Any idea when the squad announcement is? Pretty much always around 1pm on the Thursday… maybe a delay due to Patrick’s day but with another bank holiday Friday, who knows…
    It's definitely tomorrow, don't know what time though

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    Kenny is on the late late tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Kenny didn't say much, was interesting to see Yassine en-Neyah in the audience though