Page 169 of 177 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 3536

Thread: Stephen Kenny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Do we have a search committee? The names I've seen mentioned wouldn't require one. You could just read this forum.

Here's an up and coming manager for you - Magne Hoseth. Worked wonders with KI in Europe this season. No chance we'd risk it though.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I wonder would Hassenhüttl be in our budget? Might be a long shot but I think he could be someone who could get more out of the squad than the sum of its parts
    Its thinking like this thats needed. Few heard of De Zerbi or Postecoglou before they moved to Brighton or Celtic. There is a world of good coaches and managers out there if there was enough intelligence to look.

Seeing the likes of Bruce being mentioned is soul destroying, but Im also convinced that in situations like this the betting markets are manipulated. Sky Sports have their own betting wing so release a story about a guy and watch that person get a load of money put on. Lots of newspaper journalists have links to bookies too, so its very easy to generate fake bookies favorites. Over the coming months we are going to see Roy Keane be a dead cert for a few days, Allardyce will have his time, Robbie will probably be favorite for a few days. Its all bu11sh1t from a betting perspective, and we shouldnt buy into it.

The FAI have completely fcuked this situation though. Kenny is 100% a lame duck manager now after yesterdays press conference. It wouldnt have been that expensive to pay him off, hes only due about 2 months salary at this point, but by not sacking or backing him yesterday his situation is impossible. What happens now if we win home to Greece and away to Holland? If Evan Ferguson is in the form he was against Newcastle that is a possibility, however slight. Do the FAI then say that its signs of progress and renew his contract? If not, then they were 100% wrong not to let him go now and let new man have some time. Whole thing is a mess from an organization that can never seem to get out of its own way and I have zero faith that we wont end up with some washout manager from the British Merry-go-round system.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Not a bad shout. Turn it into a TV show for a few years until we have the players for a football team.

Sponsorship sorted via Louis Copeland. Louis would make a better jersey than Castore as well.
    Box office.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Do we have a search committee? The names I've seen mentioned wouldn't require one. You could just read this forum.

Here's an up and coming manager for you - Magne Hoseth. Worked wonders with KI in Europe this season. No chance we'd risk it though.
    Isn't that a bit like SK getting dundalk to the EL group stages...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Isn't that a bit like SK getting dundalk to the EL group stages...

Yes, and that's why Kenny was an interesting appointment. Just because it didn't work out you can't discount achievements like that if you are going to cast a wide net and find and up and coming manager, which is what was suggested. I don't think the FAI have the knowledge or resources to do that even though it shouldn't really be that difficult.

The likes of De Zerbi and Postecouglu mentioned above might have been unknown to the average supporter but most clubs and associations should have known about them. Most, but probably not the FAI.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Yes, and that's why Kenny was an interesting appointment. Just because it didn't work out you can't discount achievements like that if you are going to cast a wide net and find and up and coming manager, which is what was suggested. I don't think the FAI have the knowledge or resources to do that even though it shouldn't really be that difficult.

The likes of De Zerbi and Postecouglu mentioned above might have been unknown to the average supporter but most clubs and associations should have known about them. Most, but probably not the FAI.
    i get what you mean but my sense is the FAI won't chance rolling the dice like that after the kenny experiment. you could even argue you may aswell stick with him if that's the road you're going down.

there are no easy answers. for me, carsley (or someone even more left field like BBM) is the best choice for long term development. for short term results maybe hughton. the likes of hassenhuttel, benitez etc are out of the price range it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts
    i get what you mean but my sense is the FAI won't chance rolling the dice like that after the kenny experiment. you could even argue you may aswell stick with him if that's the road you're going down.
    I think that's pretty much the argument Kenny makes for continuing to select Idah.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts

there are no easy answers. for me, carsley (or someone even more left field like BBM) is the best choice for long term development. for short term results maybe hughton. the likes of hassenhuttel, benitez etc are out of the price range it seems.
    I agree that they won't take the chance. But what the FAI do and what should be done are usually not the same thing.

They are flat broke as well. No sponsor now for 3 years is abysmal and we were already fooked. Maybe there's an AI who could take over forr a few years at an affordable salary?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts

Supposedly Marc Canham will be the one finding candidates for the FAI to interview.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Most places I've seen say Hughtons contract is until December 31st 2024.
    From what I heard (from a source) it was always Hughton's intention to re-evaluate his position after AFCON.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I know he won the U21 Euros but I'd be unsure of Carsley at this level tbh. I also do not see an up & coming coach going to bother with us anyway. They would be gone at the 1st offer of an English club job. John Eustace & Anthony Barry were here 5 minutes, Carsley would be the same IMO.
    I believe that Carsley has said himself that he would like to get into club management.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Steve Bruce is now the bookies favourite and I think that is far more realistic tbh. He is the right age for the job, has a good managerial CV, a respected playing career, Irish connection, knows what we are about, no compensation to be paid to get him & might grab a few granny rulers to boost our squad.
    I would prefer Hughton - I think he is a much better coach.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    From what I heard (from a source) it was always Hughton's intention to re-evaluate his position after AFCON.

I believe that Carsley has said himself that he would like to get into club management.

I would prefer Hughton - I think he is a much better coach.
    Doubt the Ghanaian FA would stand in his way if he wanted out early. They didn't really want him in the first place, was the Ghanaian government who pay the wages. It's why he likely went in as technical advisor rather than manager at first. Unless he does good at AFCON I can see them not standing in his way if he wants out.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Doubt the Ghanaian FA would stand in his way if he wanted out early. They didn't really want him in the first place, was the Ghanaian government who pay the wages. It's why he likely went in as technical advisor rather than manager at first. Unless he does good at AFCON I can see them not standing in his way if he wants out.
    Ghanaian football has been riddled with corruption for a long time - the Ghanaian FA were effectively disbanded in 2019. I think part of the plan was to bring in Hughton to stabilise the situation on the pitch. It is not a surprise that he would have been interested in the job given that he father is Ghanaian.

Saying that - I think he expected to be spending most of his time in Europe where almost all of the Ghanaian internationals are based - but I believe that he has been under pressure to spend more time in Ghana to 'evaluate' the players based in Ghana. I think he is likely to leave after AFCON - he's 64 now (albeit a fit 64 year old) and his family is in England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,321 Posts
    Sort of related to the current managerial setup, interview with Anthony Barry
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...ited-qvqjdd7f0

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Down to 55th in today's FIFA World rankings.

When Mick McCarthy left we 34th. When Martin O'Neill stepped down we were 33rd.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...734528252.html
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 21/09/2023 at 8:41 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Down to 55th in today's FIFA World rankings.

When Mick McCarthy left we 34th. When Martin O'Neill stepped down we were 33rd.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...734528252.html
    And he still thinks he’s making progress. Deluded.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    And he still thinks he’s making progress. Deluded.
    He is ~ Except in the wrong direction ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Maybe he thinks the higher the number the better you are, like in FIFA.

Like in FIFA 23, Benzema, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Messi and De Bruyne were all 91.

Rice and Grealish were 84.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    He's done his best, but I remember posting on here a year or two ago about how baffling the performances were and how difficult it was to evaluate what was going on. I'm not jumping on an anti-Kenny bandwagon, but looking back, I wonder whether Kenny had me, the media, lots of fans, himself, and possibly some of the team baffled by BS!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Maybe he thinks the higher the number the better you are, like in FIFA.

Like in FIFA 23, Benzema, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Messi and De Bruyne were all 91.

Rice and Grealish were 84.
    Speaking of FIFA, Evan Ferguson only gets a rating of 73 this year which is a bit scandalous
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    FIFA is a poor man’s Pro Evo.
    EFootball 2020 is the greatest ever soccer game