Page 77 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3536

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Plus McCarthy came very close to automatic qualification in a group with Denmark and Switzerland. Kenny lost the euro play off, had a nightmare nations league and got knocked out of world cup qualifying effectively after 2 games.

Reading posts like supreme feets and some reports in the media, you'd assume the records of McCarthy and Kenny were the other way around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    McCarthy never finished lower than second in a group either, along with introducing the new players that were improving the side
    The base standard of player was so much higher though for McCarthy, surely?

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    781 Posts
    The 98 qualifying campaign squad was a bit of a mess - a mix of aging stalwarts, injuried players who should have been in their prime and raw young lads, some of which just weren't good enough or were played badly out of position (Ian Harte at centre back!)

Some similarities to our last campaign to be honest - though we were strangely weak at centre back which is unusual for us. We were much stronger in midfield though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    I actually went and had a look... the quality of player was night and day as compared to what SK inherited.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/...a-1996-1997/2/

And heres the first 11 he selected: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...st-ireland-xi/

On the first link though - Ned Weir?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I actually went and had a look... the quality of player was night and day as compared to what SK inherited.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/...a-1996-1997/2/

And heres the first 11 he selected: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...st-ireland-xi/

On the first link though - Ned Weir?
    Yep!
    Was only retired 50 years but still able to put in a shift off the bench

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Time was a random thing like that would spawn a good page of posts on his exploits for Termonbarry Alberts/Hibs... Or head-wrecking puns linking him with Conor Sammon...Ah, the glory days of foot.ie.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The 98 qualifying campaign squad was a bit of a mess - a mix of aging stalwarts, injuried players who should have been in their prime and raw young lads, some of which just weren't good enough or were played badly out of position (Ian Harte at centre back!)

Some similarities to our last campaign to be honest - though we were strangely weak at centre back which is unusual for us. We were much stronger in midfield though.
    McCarthy made a lot of mistakes in that 98 qualification campaign; he was 36/37 and learning on the job. That said, only the group winners qualified automatically, and Romania won 9 and drew 1 of their ten games. So we were never going to win that group whilst at the same time in a period of transition, through necessity, having to bring in younger players while also trying to inculcate a new style of play. Mick certainly got better as he went along. We became a formidable team under him, and were 13 in the world by the time he left.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Obafemi scored again. He should be in our next senior squad. I hope the likes of Keane and Hogan don’t get selected ahead of him. He has come into a bit of form and has a far higher ceiling. We have minimal striking options and Obafemi may in fact turn into a reasonable option. Hopefully Kenny won’t be stubborn

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    has to be in the squad on recent form.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    2 goals actually. Surely warrants a call up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    6 goals in his last 9 and Idah is unavailable. It would be borderline insane to leave Obafemi out now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    781 Posts
    He'll get hammered if he doesn't pick him and rightly so. So you've got to think he will have the common sense to quickly add him in, even if he wasn't going to be in the squad as of 8pm this evening.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    He refused a call up to the 21s via his agent talking to Crawford. Apparently because he "sees himself as a senior player", although they may have been Crawford's words. Not sure what he thinks he's going to achieve by trying to force Kenny's hand. Does himself no favours this lad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Crawford seems to do a lot of gossiping to the press himself. It’s not helpful. Could do with being more diplomatic

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    781 Posts
    Given how isolated Crawford has left his strikers with his team setups this campaign, I wouldn't be tripping over myself for a call up to that team if I was him either.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Maybe...I could see why he'd become a talisman if you had problems with Kenny.

For me, the lad needs to take whatever call up he gets and show he can work in whatever system he is asked to. He's only just found a bit of form after more than a few years of question marks and he's talking like he's got 10 caps and goals to his name already. We know Crawford and Kenny work together so if they had a plan for him and it started with the 21s then there were reasons for it. Now he's gone and forced Kenny into a corner. Maybe just agent silliness. But doesn't look great.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    We know Crawford and Kenny work together so if they had a plan for him and it started with the 21s then there were reasons for it.
    I was thinking that alright - if he was called up for the 21s, surely that's because Kenny wasn't going to call him up for the seniors? You'd imagine the two managers would coordinate their squads.

Given how stuck we are up front - and 6 goals in 9 games is far better form than anyone else we have at the moment - it does seem weird to leave him in the 21s.

Still a silly thing for him to do though

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I was thinking that alright - if he was called up for the 21s, surely that's because Kenny wasn't going to call him up for the seniors? You'd imagine the two managers would coordinate their squads.

Given how stuck we are up front - and 6 goals in 9 games is far better form than anyone else we have at the moment - it does seem weird to leave him in the 21s.

Still a silly thing for him to do though
    Yeah I was hoping he'd get the call but maybe he always operates through his agent and all their dealings with him are like this so they thought let's see if the lad is humble enough and eager enough to work his way up from the 21s? Maybe he was due to play one 21s game before stepping in for the Lithuania game assuming he showed the right attitude? It's odd all round.

Of course maybe Crawford is making it all up and Michael is just sitting by the phone in his Ireland kit waiting for the call.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    It does sound like Crawford could have been talking about some point in the past, like him and the agent had that conversation in September or whatever:

“Look, Michael has made it clear to us before that he sees himself as a senior international player. It’s unfortunate from an Under-21s perspective but I’ve had a conversation with his agent and that’s where it’s at,” Crawford said, having previously worked with him at Under-21 level following his senior cap under Martin O’Neill in 2019.

“The last thing I said to the agent was that, if he ever feels that he wants to come to the 21s, don’t hesitate to call because we’ll have a conversation around that. In his own eyes, I think he sees himself as a senior player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    It does sound like Crawford could have been talking about some point in the past, like him and the agent had that conversation in September or whatever:

“Look, Michael has made it clear to us before that he sees himself as a senior international player. It’s unfortunate from an Under-21s perspective but I’ve had a conversation with his agent and that’s where it’s at,” Crawford said, having previously worked with him at Under-21 level following his senior cap under Martin O’Neill in 2019.

“The last thing I said to the agent was that, if he ever feels that he wants to come to the 21s, don’t hesitate to call because we’ll have a conversation around that. In his own eyes, I think he sees himself as a senior player.
    I'm not sure if that sounds better or worse....so he was turning down the 21s while he wasn't in form at club level? You'd think he would've bitten someone's hand off for a cap at any level.

I suppose at least it might indicate that he hasn't explicitly turned down a call up to the 21s this week....by my god he needs a new agent.