Page 47 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Listened to the interview just now. Stephen Kenny comes off as a nice guy but clearly didn't want to get into details and the host kept asking him over and over what happened to his heart. "It was an electrical issue" is all Kenny kept repeating. Painful to listen to. Stephen Kenny talks about about half the speed of a normal person.
    I think his biggest issue is he is very monotone, laden with eh ah uh throughout, so makes it harder to concentrate on. I actually think hes quite articulate if you filter all that out and maybe speed him up a few seconds, the pauses are him thinking and trying to articulate what he has to say. If that was all people had to worry about he'd(and we) have little to worry about.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I think his biggest issue is he is very monotone, laden with eh ah uh throughout, so makes it harder to concentrate on. I actually think hes quite articulate if you filter all that out and maybe speed him up a few seconds, the pauses are him thinking and trying to articulate what he has to say. If that was all people had to worry about he'd(and we) have little to worry about.
    Possibly not an issue when dealing with players and is less guarded and more open with his answers.
    If he does turn this around I'll have massive admiration for him, because it seems like there's been a few coup attempts already.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    You see when u have a mediocre team but you are streetwise?? Ireland should do the italian approach .. They faced a team full of world class playera... They pressured and kicked them from the first 30 minutes. The stomped on the belgians. Then with 10 minutes to go.. Every clash was teatro an an italian to the floor to waste some time . and he brought a team of unknown from the lower part of the italian serie A. Bring on the kids. But lets teach them to be streetwise. ...football is not forma the talented purists but for the clever wise sages and streetwise footballers. Doesnt matter thst most of them are sasuolo or benevento or spal...crotone.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The bit where he started going on about the passion of the Italian players and how Irish players need to be passionate like that was bizarre, and it really makes me think that he's way out of his depth and just trying to cling on to his job. He says he's out of contract in July of 2022 and that can't come soon enough for me. I can see a manager trying to play the way he does if we had a central midfield of Liam Brady and Roy Keane, but we don't. We have Alan Browne, Josh Cullen, and Jayson Molumby. It really beggars belief. If the FAI weren't such a joke he'd have been gone long before the Luxembourg fiasco.

5. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Totally. I didnt check that. I said the italians of today are punching above their weight bit they are streetwise. He kept old heads as centerbacks. And a team of unknown bar a few. Italy was a nosedive flight since 2010. We can be them we need to be smarter and not to nice. This is a result game football is for the sages

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    The bit where he started going on about the passion of the Italian players and how Irish players need to be passionate like that was bizarre, and it really makes me think that he's way out of his depth and just trying to cling on to his job. He says he's out of contract in July of 2022 and that can't come soon enough for me. I can see a manager trying to play the way he does if we had a central midfield of Liam Brady and Roy Keane, but we don't. We have Alan Browne, Josh Cullen, and Jayson Molumby. It really beggars belief. If the FAI weren't such a joke he'd have been gone long before the Luxembourg fiasco.
    He is getting more and more bizarre as time goes by. Time for the FAI to be lining up his replacement.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Well said, you've covered it. Dreadful interview. Decent person - but lost. Taking up Seanfhear's point - I would be surprised and disappointed if FAI discussions on a replacement haven't already taken place. And it wouldn't surprise me to see Brian Kerr as interim manager.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 03/07/2021 at 9:52 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I would, it's nearly ten years since he was a manager anywhere

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I would, it's nearly ten years since he was a manager anywhere
    I am no advocate for Kerr either as manager, interim manager or pundit. His time in charge was a massive letdown, a lead balloon. I also abhorred his kowtowing to Keane. But if Kenny is dumped after a mauling in Lisbon or further embarrassment elsewhere, I believe Kerr's name would be pushed for a role.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Perhaps Kerr would be a short term Stop-Gap. I couldn’t see him getting the job permanently.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I sense Chris Hughton

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    I sense Chris Hughton
    with good old batman Tony Galvin as number 2 perhaps?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    If and only if we have zero budget ie 400k per year. Then we have to take a chance. Lee Carsley?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I don't think Lee Carsley would be interested at all. First off, he'd be dealing with the FAI. Secondly, he's in a good spot to be the next ENGLAND manager.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Denmark now in the Euro semi finals. Switzerland unlucky to be knocked out by Spain. I think a reasonable argument could be made that McCarthy should have remained in charge instead of dumping him for Kenny. He had 10 games in charge, only one defeat. Looking now, it would have been far preferable to keep him on. He has previously proven that he is capable of rebuilding an Irish squad. We've made a huge error in appointing someone who is far less capable.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    In fairness, I don't think you'll find many to argue against the idea that appointing two managers at the same time was daft.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That's not what he's saying stu.

The silence has spoken
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    McCarthy is not the manager and won't be again anytime soon. He did an OK job that some are looking back on with seriously tinted glasses as they always do but we can't afford him now. We are broke and last I heard can't even pay a full wage to a lot of the people working to develop football in the country, partly because of the contracts and payoffs handed out to McCarthy, MON, Trap and both Keanes. Time to move on folks.

As for having a go at Kenny over an interview about an episode with his heart now? Some of you lads need a new hobby. The interviewer was pressing him to say he had a heart attack, which he didn't. He explained the issue multiple times. Criticize the football, there's enough to focus on there without taking a swing at his speech patterns or health conditions surely?

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Absolutely - the football is what is going to cost him his job ultimately, unless things turn around in a big way next season. Hopefully they do and the Hungary game was a sign of things coming together rather than a false dawn.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    McCarthy is not the manager and won't be again anytime soon. He did an OK job that some are looking back on with seriously tinted glasses as they always do but we can't afford him now. We are broke and last I heard can't even pay a full wage to a lot of the people working to develop football in the country, partly because of the contracts and payoffs handed out to McCarthy, MON, Trap and both Keanes. Time to move on folks.

As for having a go at Kenny over an interview about an episode with his heart now? Some of you lads need a new hobby. The interviewer was pressing him to say he had a heart attack, which he didn't. He explained the issue multiple times. Criticize the football, there's enough to focus on there without taking a swing at his speech patterns or health conditions surely?
    I didn't criticize him for his health issues, which are obviously personal and he shouldn't feel compelled to share with us in any way.

He's an incredible poor communicator, however. I think criticizing his speech is fair game when he's clearly not capable of getting his point across smoothly. We lost to Luxembourg because he wants us to play like we're Barcelona. He's miles out of his depth. I was one of his biggest defenders throughout the early criticism because he was playing with half a squad due to Covid and James McCarthy not bothering to show up. However....leaving Duffy, Hendrick, and Brady on the bench and playing a bunch of young lads that are clearly not up to snuff was the last straw for me. This campaign is a lost cause and he'll get another year out of it because the FAI is broke, but he'll be back managing part-timers in the LOI right after.