Page 18 of 177 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Judging by this response seems you're a fan of bringing politics into everything, even when it isn't there.

If your response entails personal insults, then I'm not going to engage in conversation with you anymore.
    Edmundo - I'm going to have to call you up on this.

Where did I engage in personal insults?

All I asked you to do was stop SHOUTING at me.

If you think that was a personal insult, then I can suddenly understand why a 30-second video would offend you too tbh.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    The thing about giving up on a campaign so that at the end of it, you will have a new team or a new set of players bedded in, is that you need to believe the manager is the right man to do that, and that the players are there to do that.

I am not convinced we have either the manager or young players to do that.

There's something admirable about what Kenny is trying to instil, but I am not sure it will work with these players, or with those to come in.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Edmundo - I'm going to have to call you up on this.

Where did I engage in personal insults?

All I asked you to do was stop SHOUTING at me.

If you think that was a personal insult, then I can suddenly understand why a 30-second video would offend you too tbh.
    You implied I was "f**king Donald Trump", and I don't think you meant that as a compliment. Anyway that will be the last time I engage in conversation with you.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    You implied I was "f**king Donald Trump", and I don't think you meant that as a compliment. Anyway that will be the last time I engage in conversation with you.
    Fairly sure he just meant you were SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS like he does.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Donald SHOUTS a lot lately. You were SHOUTING at me.

So not a personal insult - rather an indication as to how irritating it is TO BE SHOUTED AT during an online discussion, and a tacit request that you post more civilly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,319 Posts
    stu, no personal insults.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    First off, STOP ****ING SHOUTING! You're not Donald Trump.
    cfdh_edmundo, the policy on all caps is in the forum rules - https://foot.ie/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_txtcaps
    Foot.ie is a website, not a mobile phone, you have a full keyboard and all your fingers available. Use them please. Oh and typing in ALL CAPS is the Internet equivalent of shouting. Shut up.
    Ordinarily, I would move any political discussion to the Politics forum, but given that the video contained a political message, I'll allow it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Nice. Ok. Thank you and goodbye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if the FAI were interested in a re-build then they would have left SK with the 21s for a full campaign at that level before moving him to the seniors.
    moving him from the 21s to the seniors little over halfway through a campaign was plain daft and has done a lot of harm, i believe, in successfully integrating our better 21s with the seniors
    I do agree that SK should have stayed with the U21s for precisely this reason, however, we weren't to know that this campaign would be hobbled at almost every turn as well.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    849 Posts
    This has to be the most ridiculous non story Ive seen in years. Motivational videos have been around forever. I seem to remember a GAA manager a few years ago being praised because he played Al Pacinos speech from Any Given Sunday before an All Ireland.

I wouldnt care if it was an hour long video about 1916, its our history. Robbie Keane was always a great man for a Rebel song on the team bus or team night out and there are plenty more like him over the years. Jack is the one I believe who started playing the Wolfe Tones on the team bus and that continued on for years.

People get offended by the most stupid things these days. If this leads to Kenny getting sacked I swear Im done with football.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    I played against an English team in the European Cup (of chess...) a couple of years ago.

In the hotel before going to the game, one of our players downloaded and played "Come Out Ye Black And Tans" on his phone. He didn't actually want to fight his English opponent; he just wanted to get into the spirit of the game.

He was German btw.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    The rebel songs were played in O’Neill’s reign too I believe. It was brought back after Trap left.
    So some of these players would’ve played in that environment already.

Who’s the informer? Weed out the rat!

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    It's political correctness gawn maaaad, as Kelvin McKenzie might say.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Weirdly, James McClean had the west brom team bus playing the Wolfe Tones regularly on the way to matches...

*actually could have been Paul McShane, gonna try figure it out
    Last edited by elatedscum; 20/11/2020 at 6:26 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Yep, McShane:

“I’m a massive Wolfe Tones and Dubliners fan, so whenever I can, I stick ‘em on in the team bus,” he says relaxing after a three-hour training session. “The lads gave me a bit of stick about it at first, but now I’ve got them singing along!”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    <MOD EDIT - removed quote of deleted post>

Who cares what the English FA think? As for worrying or even caring what english fans on twitter are saying, that's just stupid.

If the FAI make any decision based on what the English FA think they're more incompetent than anyone could have believed.

I'd be more concerned about the rat in the FAI who sold Kenny down the river when he/she leaked the story to the press. That would be what I'd investigate.
    Who was the Informer and why did this have to be Informed to the Papers ~ ~ A quiet word to the FAI and another quiet word to Kenny would have been more than enough.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Not directly comparable but i always felt he delayed subs too long at Dundalk, difference being that he usually had a result in the bag at Dundalk. V Bulgaria he showed that the run without goals (and probably wins) were getting to him and treated the game with a lot more importance on that than squad development type stuff. Byrne could have been the difference in unlocking the Bulgarian defence but Kenny seemed to be erring on the side of caution and not create another stick with relegation - which wouldnt have been the worst thing at this time when pot 2 was gone.
    You’re probably right, and to be honest it’s hard not to sympathise with his caution. Can you imagine the reaction if we had lost the game, it’s bad enough having drawn it. I would hate to see the plug being pulled on h8m at such an early stage, and with the amount of players he lost, particularly for the Bulgaria match. It was never going to be an easy task with the squad he’s inherited. We have some players of promise coming through, but that will take a couple of years at least I think. The most important game we’ve played under Kenny was Slovakia, and to be honest I thought we did pretty well there and could/probably should have won the game. He needs to be given a proper chance. People calling for his head now are the ones who never wanted him in the first place, purely because he comes from our own league, which I think is quite sad. Now they are rushing to say “Told you so”.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    This should be a non story[its only a few years ago since the Fai put the 1916 slogan on the jersey so they should be putting it to bed quickly]the fact that it is is down player/staff breaching dressingroom values and a few delighted press core who will revel in it.Kenny needs to sort out the dressingroom coward...the Fai need to call it as it is and stand fully behind their man.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Wasn't the statement from the FAI, "a matter of urgency" a very loaded one. Add to that who the statement was given to. It is clear there are some employed within that organisation who want the manager out.
    Kenny must be given a proper chance. Remember Ireland lost on penalties away to Slovakia. Hopefully this plot backfires and those involved will be got rid of from the national set up.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Wasn't the statement from the FAI, "a matter of urgency" a very loaded one. Add to that who the statement was given to. It is clear there are some employed within that organisation who want the manager out.
    Kenny must be given a proper chance. Remember Ireland lost on penalties away to Slovakia. Hopefully this plot backfires and those involved will be got rid of from the national set up.
    Totally agree. The FAI have not helped in how they’ve reacted to this. They haven’t played it down at all

29. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    719 Posts
    I don't know about that. I'm no media relations guru, but I think they'd be advised in these situations to present exactly this kind of professional, non-committal kind of "we take this kind of accusation very seriously and are investigating carefully" kind of line. If the press coverage falls off they can just quietly drop it, and if it escalates they're in a position to act without being accused of having originally ignored or downplayed it. Downplaying it, in contrast, gives the papers something more to write about. I don't think the FAI reaction is really telling us anything at all.

31. Thanks From: