Results 3,241 to 3,260 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    The win probably gives Carsley his pick of jobs next, even if he was blessed with an exceptional crop of youngsters. I’d say nearly guaranteed a shot if Southgate was to leave plus he’ll have a host of decent clubs interested in him if he wants to step into club management. I don’t think the Ireland senior role would be high on his list now.
    I wonder. He didn't go wrapping himself in the union Jack or kissing the crest afterwards . Hopefully if he doesn't take our job he gets a good championship job and builds a good career

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Would be nice to offer Carsley the job now, it’s a nice juncture, may not be available when Kenny inevitably leaves at the end of the 2024 qualifying campaign. I doubt if it will happen
    More chance of him being the next England manager rather than Ireland manager.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    The Mail reporting he's in line for a new contract as 21s boss while we're also interested.

Read into that bit of football gossip what you will of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    More chance of him being the next England manager rather than Ireland manager.

This. The FA will use the same succession plan as they did with Southgate. With the tools at his exposure he's not stupid enough to end his career by taking on the Ireland job.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    This. The FA will use the same succession plan as they did with Southgate. With the tools at his exposure he's not stupid enough to end his career by taking on the Ireland job.
    I doubt they'd want Carsley to take over as caretaker followed by a permanent appointment after Southgate or his successor get caught up in a scandal.

They've offered Carsley a contract extension. It wouldn't be a bad move to take the offer with a premier league get out clause,surely there'll be a job available before Christmas.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiehead View Post
    I doubt they'd want Carsley to take over as caretaker followed by a permanent appointment after Southgate or his successor get caught up in a scandal.

They've offered Carsley a contract extension. It wouldn't be a bad move to take the offer with a premier league get out clause,surely there'll be a job available before Christmas.
    can't see a prem side going for him - the risk is just too high at that level. a mid table / struggling championship side is likely his best bet.

unless he prefers the idea of the Ireland job, which he may. both are completely different proposition to working with a squad with numerous elite players at the u21 level.

i dont think they conceded a goal all tournament though which is impressive. we should be keeping a lot more clean sheets than we do given the players at our disposal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Carsley set for talks with the FA about his future.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66149678

Manager Carsley was appointed in July 2021 and is believed to be undecided about whether to carry on in the role.

Carsley is on a rolling one-year contract and is understood to have been approached by clubs during his tenure as under-21s manager.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Carsley has been very methodical so far in his career, progressing slowly with carefully selecting jobs, not getting out of his depth too soon, natural step up is senior international football which will have a better quality of life vs his other probable option championship club management. He has always prioritized his family and that extra time will be important to him, so I would not think it’s beyond the bounds of possibility. The main problem I see is the FAI being unable to make a prompt bold decision with their current committee / red tape set up. I guess there were some benefits of the “good old days..”
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 09/07/2023 at 11:09 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    With it looking like Vera Paew is not going to get a new contract despite qualifying for the first World Cup and performing I felt well against 2 very strong nations stephen Kenny can consider himself fortunate the expectations of him are not as great as of Vera

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    With it looking like Vera Paew is not going to get a new contract despite qualifying for the first World Cup and performing I felt well against 2 very strong nations stephen Kenny can consider himself fortunate the expectations of him are not as great as of Vera
    You'd wonder which way the FAI is veering alright ? !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    You'd wonder which way the FAI is veering alright ? !
    Unless they're thinking of replacing Kenny with Vera?

14. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    We were beaten twice and are likely to lose to Nigeria. As I said in this thread before the tournament, the FAI should have had the guts to sack the manager when the details of her bullying scandal came out.

Stephen Kenny is not a bully, he's a really nice guy. He has a terrible group of players to pick from, and I feel badly for him. If he had a Roy Keane or a Damien Duff, things may have gone differently for him. What frustrates me is that he insists on playing the game "the right way" when we don't have the players to do that right now. What frustrates me even more is how he's been afforded such a long leash due to the fact that League of Ireland supporters seem so fanatical in their support of him. He can do no wrong in their eyes, yet he's doing so much damage.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    If Pauw goes after qualifying for the World Cup then there can be no more rope for Kenny. Doesn't matter how nice a guy he's supposed to be, all he's doing is proving the theory that nice guys come last.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    We were beaten twice and are likely to lose to Nigeria. As I said in this thread before the tournament, the FAI should have had the guts to sack the manager when the details of her bullying scandal came out.

Stephen Kenny is not a bully, he's a really nice guy. He has a terrible group of players to pick from, and I feel badly for him. If he had a Roy Keane or a Damien Duff, things may have gone differently for him. What frustrates me is that he insists on playing the game "the right way" when we don't have the players to do that right now. What frustrates me even more is how he's been afforded such a long leash due to the fact that League of Ireland supporters seem so fanatical in their support of him. He can do no wrong in their eyes, yet he's doing so much damage.
    ‘Terrible group of players’ - Was reading about PL interest in Smallbone, and it’s possible he could actually field a team of PL players next season. This isn’t the greatest ever Irish squad, but is it as bad as some pundits and Kenny supported like to suggest?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    I think it's as bad as we've ever had but not as bad as results are showing

What's the team of Premier players?

Kelleher
    Doherty... Collins... O'Shea...Egan...Coleman
    Cullen...Smallbone (if he gets a transfer)... Hendrick
    Ferguson...Ogbene...Obafemi

Most of them will be in relegation battles if they get gametime at all. It's a small step in the right direction but we've a lot of improving to do yet
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 30/07/2023 at 5:10 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    We have the best squad we've had in five or six years, easily. A bit light in midfield, but most countries our size will usually have a weakness and it's up to the manager to find a way to work around that, just look at what Scotland are doing lately with very little quality in goal, at centre back or at centre forward.

Egan, Collins, O'Shea, Coleman, Doherty, Cullen, Ogbene and Ferguson will all be in or around their team's first 11s in the Premier League this coming season. Hodge might be in the mix as well going by pre-season. Obafemi and Alex Murphy may get some game time also, who knows Kelleher will end up. Manning, Omobamidele, Duffy, Bazunu, Lenihan, Taylor, Smallbone and Molumby will all be regulars with top 6 rated Championship teams. Festy will likely continue to develop in Serie A.

We've heard enough excuses at this point, that's a team and squad that should be in and around the top 24 in Europe at an absolute minimum. Stacks of players in or approaching their best years. If the results aren't coming then there's only one weak link and on the face of it it's the easiest problem of all to fix.

The "we don't have the players" excuse has well and truly run out of road at this point.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 30/07/2023 at 5:24 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts

What I read in the athletic I would not consider her actions to have been problematic but I didn't read the actual report from the US soccer federation so perhaps the athletic article left out the bad stuff.

I think been a manager is about setting up a side to maximise their abilities and give them rhe best chance of success. Simply apeing other sides in how you play just because its popular is something anyone could do where is the skill and expertise in that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Carsley effectively ruling himself out of the running to replace Kenny
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts

This - the influence of the LOI supporters - is substantially overstated as a reason he is still in the job in my opinion. The 30k or so LOI fanatics in the country carry no weight with the decision makers. Never have, never will. The reasons for keeping Kenny are more to do with 1) the fact that he was given a mandate that required at least 2 years and b) the association can't really afford a replacement and possibly 3) the list of feasible or obvious replacements is fairly limited.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Carsley effectively ruling himself out of the running to replace Kenny
    Oe waiting for Kenny to fall ( maybe )