Can you imagine if we somehow get a play off and they leave him insitu

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Don't think they would. While his contract is up until the end of the 2024 Euros you often see managers moved on once the qualifiers are over. If the FAI were smart enough to have a get out clause post Nations League they surely are smart enough to have another get out clause for the qualifiers. Not like Kenny had much bargaining power post WC qualifiers or other options to walk away from a contract full of performance clauses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think Kenny was deserving of a spell with the 21s, which can come with promotion to the seniors;
    Dunno whether its any relevance, but Baraclough did a decent job woth NI's U-21's, but ultimately wasn't up to the Senior job.

They're different jobs and while it's possible for someone to have the skill sets required for both, it's not automatic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    TBF if he gets to a play off, he deserves to stay on and contest it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Even if we get just six points from the group? (Or less!)

Mick didn't get to contest his playoff.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    TBF if he gets to a play off, he deserves to stay on and contest it.
    We could lose every game and still get a play off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Am I right in saying carsleys contract with the u21s is up soon?
    Dunno the answer, but if was available, then hed be an excellebt choice (imo).

After he was caretaker manager at Brentford, they were very keen indeed to give him the job permanently, and their record in appointing managers is excellent. However, since he had a disabled child, he needed to be near his family home in the Midlands (Birmingham?) and so couldn't commit. Instead he took a job with the English FA, since he could work out of St.George's Park.

His son is now an adult, so I believe LC may be open to offers from other locations now? Though tbf, he could do the ROI job from England without needing to relocate to Ireland.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Do home wins vs Holland and Greece save him? Or have we reached a point where we are so deluded as a footballing nation that anything less than qualifying from a group of France, Holland and Greece is seen as disaster.

In this group so far we have lost to a team who were WC finalists 3 months previous but we played pretty well, we had a poor performance away in Greece at a time of year that we are historically sh1te, but Greece also have a good home record.

Like it or not we are still rebuilding a squad with lads mainly 22 and under. The likes of Hendrick and Hourihane all being phased out like we all wanted. Yet we are demanding results, I'm not sure any of our best teams in our history would have guaranteed wins in these opening 2 fixtures.

I've been Kenny out for a while. My biggest complaint was always his decision making and in game management. In these 2 games I've agreed with the lineups and even the subs so I think he's improved. I want to see how rest of group plays out... barring disaster vs Gibraltar today

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Do home wins vs Holland and Greece save him? Or have we reached a point where we are so deluded as a footballing nation that anything less than qualifying from a group of France, Holland and Greece is seen as disaster.

In this group so far we have lost to a team who were WC finalists 3 months previous but we played pretty well, we had a poor performance away in Greece at a time of year that we are historically sh1te, but Greece also have a good home record.

Like it or not we are still rebuilding a squad with lads mainly 22 and under. The likes of Hendrick and Hourihane all being phased out like we all wanted. Yet we are demanding results, I'm not sure any of our best teams in our history would have guaranteed wins in these opening 2 fixtures.

I've been Kenny out for a while. My biggest complaint was always his decision making and in game management. In these 2 games I've agreed with the lineups and even the subs so I think he's improved. I want to see how rest of group plays out... barring disaster vs Gibraltar today
    Possibly, that situation could set up a do or die game in Holland for potential qualification. Assuming obviously you're on 12 points then going into that final game. It's why I think September the earliest is when they'd get rid of him to just see what happens in that home game with Holland. We'll likely lose it or scrape a draw at best but they'll wait and see either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Kenny was promised the Ireland senior managererial position before he took over as U-21 manager. This is completely different to earning promotion to the top job as a result of successes achieved at underage level, as was the case with Brian Kerr.

One of the foundational tenets of the Kennyite mythology is that he did an exceptionally good and indeed transformative job with the Irish Under-21 team, in doing so, forming an unshakable bond with an emerging crop of talented young players that would benefit the national team for years to come, and his elevation to the senior position being therefore fully merited. In fact he took charge of just a dozen U-21 matches, winning just over half those. I believe only seven of those twelve being competitive games.

Southgate, who already had experience managing in the Premier League, managed the England U-21s for three years and 37 matches, enjoying a 73% win rate. So, not really comparable with the Kenny situation at all.

The idea that the LoI is on a par with EFL League Two seems an enormous stretch to me. For a start, League Two, in contrast to the Irish Premier Division is fully professional. By pretty much every conceivable metric from wages to stadia to training facilities to finances to transfer fees to average attendances to highest attendances to standard of play, League Two appears to be of a vastly superior standard to the semi-professional and largely amateurish and mismanaged LoI.

An exceptional case, but Bradford City had average attendances of over 18,000 last season.

In this article Damien Duff talks about wanting to improve his side by signing two or three experienced players for 1,200 euros a week but not being able to afford to do so. The average wage in League Two is about 3,000 euros.

The minimum wage for those players who are on full-time contracts of €430 per week. Many players have second jobs and have to sign on to the dole in the off-season.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ut-more-to-do/

The LoI Champions receive €125,000 in prize money, with the bottom side receiving €22,000. Each League Two side receives £473,000 (about €550,000) from the EFL plus £430,000 in 'solidarity payments' from the Premier League. The difference is stark.

So while talking about the LoI as pub league isn't perhaps quite fair, neither is a belief that it's on the same level as the EFL. Indeed I believe John Sheridan's assessment of the league was indeed that it was a 'pub league'. And that as someone who'd managed in both the EFL and the Irish Premier Division.
    Interesting comparison. Note also that the EFL Lge Two has 24 teams, all f-t, compared with 10 LOI PD teams, not all f-t (plus 10 largely p-t, eve amateur FD clubs).

While the 24 team National League (5th tier) is nearly all f-t, with quite a few teams in the 6th tier also f-t. With such enormous depth, those English clubs have to be a different level, one or two teams like Shamrock Rovers or Dundalk nowithstanding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

But we aren't looking at "in this group so far". We're looking at the past 3 years and defeats to Luxembourg, Armenia, Finland, Ukraine, Norway. Draws against Bulgaria, Qatar, Azerbaijan.

Kenny is done, we've gone from one goal away from qualification in Micks last campaign, to out after 2 games in each of Kenny's qualifying tournaments. We're currently looking at Gibraltar as a potential banana skin things have gotten so bad. He needs to go, and go now. Badly out of his depth, as he was from the beginning when anyone calling out the emperors new clothes, was told that Kenny needed time. He's had time and he's dragged us down the rankings and the pots.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It’s so difficult to reconcile Doherty’s comments with what is playing out right in front of our eyes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...eat-to-greece/
    From what I saw, Matt gave the Greek player a nudge, shoulder to shoulder and he hit the ground in agony clutching his face. The greek players erupted, the pony tailed one in particular was red card agressive. In this case I’m with Matt.
    https://youtu.be/j9G0MNgAP5Y?t=123

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I think everyone is aware it was a very difficult draw - it's more the lack of progress and the consistent terrible results that have left many thinking his time is up. In addition we seem to have lost the ability to keep a clean sheet against anything other than the most modest opposition. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he could manage wins over Holland and Greece. The only good win he has had really was the Scotland home game when everything went for us on the day and they didn't really show up.

Having said that I fully expect him to remain in charge at least until September. The campaign is beyond salvaging (again!) so the remaining games are little more than friendlies as far as Ireland is concerned. His contract ends in November so getting rid now means paying out 5ish months versus just a couple if waiting til Sept. What possibly could change that is if Carsley leaves his post after the u21 tournament and is keen but not so keen that he'd wait around...

edit: obviously the other scenario, which one would normally consider the unthinkable i.e. failing to beat Gibraltar. That would surely make his position untenable, with him being paid off and a caretaker put in charge.
    Last edited by zero; 19/06/2023 at 12:06 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Even if we get just six points from the group? (Or less!)

Mick didn't get to contest his playoff.
    Well it was Martin O'Neills play off really wasnt it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    No, it was Mick's play-off. He should've been allowed complete that campaign
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    How was it his play off?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He took a million lids and ran you mean!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Well yeah - we qualified based on MON's placing in the Nations League I guess. Which even more backs up the view that Kenny isn't entitled to taking charge for the playoff by rights

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Yes its the lack of progress that gets me, Friday night was on par with Luxemburg at home, possibly worse as for most of the Friday we just played hoof ball, or else went sideways and backwards. Had a quick look at the starting 11 against Luxemburg and only 2 outfield starters from that game started Friday, Doherty and Cullen. Not sure what that says, other than Kenny has managed to get absolutley dreadful performances out of pretty much two different teams. I think his best performance was Slovakia away in the play off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    He is a pub league manager, though. The League of Ireland is a pub league. I'm not looking to wind anyone up, but the League of Ireland crowd on here need to wise up and face reality.
    While I don't disagree that the LOI is in many ways an embarrassment, it's literally not a pub league, and we both know that posting in that manner will wind people up. You're welcome to discuss the professionalism of the league all you want, but not like that. Don't do it again please.