Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 177 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    I meant if Kenny fails to qualify in the next two full campaigns. The play offs for the euros are a bit of a gimme, if he doesn't win both games, I don't think he will be blamed for the result
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Regardless, I don't think the Kerr comparison is appropriate. He came in on the back of a fairly successful World Cup campaign for Mick at a time which Mick had an embarrassment of riches.

The past three managers (Trap, MON and Mick) had some decent results but, overall, the football was dour and there was little progression in any direction, I would argue.

As a result, there is a lot of low-hanging fruit for Kenny and he has identified this fruit, based on the utterances of late by him.

Also, with some of the young talent coming through, it is becoming easier for us to replicate the results earned during Mick's tenure. And that is without doing all the other nice stuff.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    off topic but we are in serous hot water, if Randy gets injured. Alec Fergusson could be our manager and we wouldn't survive without a good keeper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Randolph has done fine for us but it's not like he's world class. I'd be hopeful that Travers could do a similar job in an emergency, and hopefully an even better job long-term. Obviously there are others with potential too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    My view is travers played one amazing game v spurs and that too much after that.
    When u say "obviously there are other with potential" do u mean O'Hata and kelleher, because they are miles off good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    My view is travers played one amazing game v spurs and that too much after that.
    When u say "obviously there are other with potential" do u mean O'Hata and kelleher, because they are miles off good enough.
    That's probably fair about Travers, I just have a good feeling about him. He's a solid looking unit for a start. I think he saved a few penalties another night which is an extra string to his bow.

I had Bazunu in mind more than Kelleher really. O'Hara, again, could do okay in an emergency situation.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Whatever about Kelleher, how have you concluded that O'Hara is miles off being good enough?

If Bournemouth go down and Ramsdale moves on then Travers is surely the man they will put faith in. Best case scenario from a selfish Irish perspective.

Sean McDermott is an option. But I don't know about the level he is presently playing at. Ian Lawlor has seriously stalled his progress but he's still 25. There's Talbot too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Whatever about Kelleher, how have you concluded that O'Hara is miles off being good enough?

If Bournemouth go down and Ramsdale moves on then Travers is surely the man they will put faith in. Best case scenario from a selfish Irish perspective.

Sean McDermott is an option. But I don't know about the level he is presently playing at. Ian Lawlor has seriously stalled his progress but he's still 25. There's Talbot too.
    Playing in the Nowegian league with Kristiansund. The 2020 season only started a few weeks ago, but he hasn't been involved in any of their games, even as an unsed substitute.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Kenny has some similarity with Kerr who had shared the glory years with many of the senior players at underage level. There was a degree of optimism just based on that.
    Kenny has not the same experience at youth level but there are expectations that one of his strengths is that he's best able to identify and work with the new talent and bring them into a team which is in dire need of infusion, a work in progress generational overhaul.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Playing in the Nowegian league with Kristiansund. The 2020 season only started a few weeks ago, but he hasn't been involved in any of their games, even as an unsed substitute.
    Yes. I know that is where he is playing. I don't know about the relative level of that league is my issue.

He is out injured with a thumb injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I would have a bit of faith that Gavin Bazunu could be the real deal. I know he's only 18, but he could step into a League One side comfortably in the next year. He looked very comfortable playing for Shamrock Rovers at just 16 years of age.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    He's been training with the city first team for the last few weeks, but I doubt he'll see game time.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He is 24 playing in a poor third tier team

Sean McDermott is not strictly playing for a full time professional outfit.
    He got a move to an actually pro team in Turkey ( I think) and was ran out of the place

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    He got a move to an actually pro team in Turkey ( I think) and was ran out of the place
    O'hara. .. what has he done? 24 years old playing third tier football

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    In the highlights of the Liverpool v Shrewsbury Cup tie, I was watching for Kelleher's performance, but was more impressed by a couple of solid saves by Max O'Leary. If he can break into the Bristol City team next year or get first-team football at another Championship team, he could become a serious contender

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    That was Romania and it was a philosophical difference with a maniac coach. He played like 3 games in total as far as I remember. Think he kept a clean sheet in his first two, winning man of the match in one. And with the third game, the manager said: I asked for a goalkeeper, not a libero” or something like that...

Imagine a Trap type volatile manager. He got out ASAP. Wouldn’t view it as any reflection on him

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    To be fair to O'Hara he has played almost 100 games of senior football and 24 is young for a keeper. Not saying he's a world beater or anything close but I wouldn't write him off. Has the potential to be a solid Championship keeper like Westwood, Forde, even Randolph to be honest.

I'd like to see Bazunu get some minutes in pre season (if there is a pre season this year), he has been around the first team squad at City quite a bit so that might be a possibility. He's probably too young for a loan move so it will most likely be back to PL2 for him next season. One to keep an eye on though.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 11/07/2020 at 7:52 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Terrible news lads big jack has passed away

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That's exactly it, a bit like Connolly and the brighton game, but when youre a keeper a couple of mistakes and much bigger consequences/more greatly noticed.

And randolph has been ok for us nothing more than that. But i wouldnt be worried about him playing if he were not playing at club level - so long as weight/agility isnt an issue.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Thinking a bit more about the three changes Kenny made in midfield between the two games - is he selecting players that suit a role, instead of finding roles to suit the players he has?
    McCarthy was replaced by Arter - one defensive midfielder for another
    Brady came in for Hourihane - both could be described as an attacking, left footed midfielder, with a wide range of passing, and a threat from set pieces. Hourihane does usually play more centrally than Brady
    Molumby and Hendrick - Molumby's season at Millwall could be compared with Hendrick's last season at Derby, before he moved to Bunley

Something to think about

Page 7 of 177 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast