Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    The question needs to be asked. Why don't we just give Anthony Barry the managers role? He's running things in terms of formation, set pieces, style of play etc. Is Kenny selecting the team?

Your own words are right here. Formation, set pieces and style of play etc are all Barry and you doubt Kenny is selecting the team as well.

So...who is calling the shots?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    To be honest, i am very surprised that posters are giving this guy any air time at all. Ignoring all the contradictions and sloppy logic in his posts for a second, the guy has basically admitted that in his eyes there is nothing that Kenny can do right, he is damned if he does and damned if he don't. Often based on wild speculation/theories that are not grounded in anything real. Totally disingenuous. You can't engage/debate fairly with that type of poster.

3. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Your own words are right here. Formation, set pieces and style of play etc are all Barry and you doubt Kenny is selecting the team as well.

So...who is calling the shots?
    No, I think Kenny is picking the team, giving team talks and so on. So Kenny is calling the shots in my view. Do you think different? You think Kenny changed formation and tactics off his own bat?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    To be honest, i am very surprised that posters are giving this guy any air time at all. Ignoring all the contradictions and sloppy logic in his posts for a second, the guy has basically admitted that in his eyes there is nothing that Kenny can do right, he is damned if he does and damned if he don't. Often based on wild speculation/theories that are not grounded in anything real. Totally disingenuous. You can't engage/debate fairly with that type of poster.
    These questions need to be asked. Blindly following something based on an emotional attachment is not the way we should go. Let's not forget here, Kenny is the worst manager we've ever had. That's if we go on factual evidence. Criticism of Kenny is valid, some will just have to accept that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Is there a mute button or something to block posts from certain posters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    You can certainly give it a good try through.
    You did, and then contradicted yourself right in this post.
    To be fair giving answers and calling the shots are not one and the same.

I think life's too short and campaigns too quick (especially a football players sporting Life), come and go that we can have a manager in charge for 4 years before he (potentially) gets us to a championship as his remit.

2022 is awful barren for us , things could considerably change for us in that time too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Great start from Anthony Barry’s men.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    To be fair giving answers and calling the shots are not one and the same.

I think life's too short and campaigns too quick (especially a football players sporting Life), come and go that we can have a manager in charge for 4 years before he (potentially) gets us to a championship as his remit.

2022 is awful barren for us , things could considerably change for us in that time too.
    If he's giving answers then he's being asked questions and those answers are being taken on board yes? That sounds like a managerial team working well together to me. Instead of Kenny getting credit for bringing in Barry and (if this is even true) adopting his ideas (imagine that, listening to the coach you hired to help you) the idea is that Barry is somehow running things despite Kenny standing in his way. Play the post, not the more reasonable version of it you might come up with yourself.

And I'm not sure on your other point but I think it probably highlights the divide between the more reasonable takes on here in terms of where we are and where we need to go. For me, we absolutely can take a longer term approach given we are working with 19 year olds who aren't featuring for their clubs in key positions and an average ability level right now of, what, lower English Championship? Maybe lower end of the English Premiership if you only count our defenders? Maybe that's where we will disagree? You would hold that we have enough quality to beat Serbia to 2nd place maybe? Mick couldn't get us into the top 2 in a group with Switzerland and Denmark and he was paid more than twice as much as Kenny so I'm not sure I'd agree that there is an obvious candidate ready to step in and turn us into a better side than Serbia with the talent we have available versus their pool which plays across Europes top leagues. And if not, then what's the harm in Kenny continuing to blood young players and working on formations/styles of play/set pieces etc under the watchful eye of Anthony Barry?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    If he's giving answers then he's being asked questions and those answers are being taken on board yes? That sounds like a managerial team working well together to me. Instead of Kenny getting credit for bringing in Barry and (if this is even true) adopting his ideas (imagine that, listening to the coach you hired to help you) the idea is that Barry is somehow running things despite Kenny standing in his way. Play the post, not the more reasonable version of it you might come up with yourself.

And I'm not sure on your other point but I think it probably highlights the divide between the more reasonable takes on here in terms of where we are and where we need to go. For me, we absolutely can take a longer term approach given we are working with 19 year olds who aren't featuring for their clubs in key positions and an average ability level right now of, what, lower English Championship? Maybe lower end of the English Premiership if you only count our defenders? Maybe that's where we will disagree? You would hold that we have enough quality to beat Serbia to 2nd place maybe? Mick couldn't get us into the top 2 in a group with Switzerland and Denmark and he was paid more than twice as much as Kenny so I'm not sure I'd agree that there is an obvious candidate ready to step in and turn us into a better side than Serbia with the talent we have available versus their pool which plays across Europes top leagues. And if not, then what's the harm in Kenny continuing to blood young players and working on formations/styles of play/set pieces etc under the watchful eye of Anthony Barry?
    We're not battling it out with Serbia, we're battling it out with Luxembourg. Denmark got to the euro semi finals, Switzerland the quarter finals and we nearly qualified under McCarthy.

If you're argument is that we can't get anything better than Kenny because of our lack of resources, you might want to look at the bench behind him. We should snap Barry up before he gets a big job as manager in England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    These questions need to be asked. Blindly following something based on an emotional attachment is not the way we should go. Let's not forget here, Kenny is the worst manager we've ever had. That's if we go on factual evidence. Criticism of Kenny is valid, some will just have to accept that.
    I think you are the one guilty of approaching the issue blindly and based on emotion.

If you go back to my previous posts on the matter, i have supported critical questioning of performances and results under Kenny. Some results (and performances) have been hard to stomach. But I have also asked that people make a fair and reasonable assessment of SK with the challenges that presented to him, the lack of stability early on that was almost completely out of his hands and the young players that he has had to bring through.

It is more nuanced than Kenny class/Kenny sh!te.

Bottom line for me is that he has deserved a longer runway than others might have received and it appears as though patience might be the right approach with the coaching and playing teams that he has assembled now seemingly turning a corner. I am not blindly following anything, i have already set out what i believe were bottom line requirements to stay in the job beyond this campaign. Prior to Serbia i wanted 7 or 8 points. He is on 4. Failure to beat Luxembourg and the FAI has some a valid question to ask / decision to make. To you, nothing matters.

Now, who is the extremist between the two of us?
    Last edited by SkStu; 12/10/2021 at 8:53 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I think you are the one guilty of approaching the issue blindly and based on emotion.

If you go back to my previous posts on the matter, i have supported critical questioning of performances and results under Kenny. Some results (and performances) have been hard to stomach. But I have also asked that people make a fair and reasonable assessment of SK with the challenges that presented to him, the lack of stability early on that was almost completely out of his hands and the young players that he has had to bring through.

It is more nuanced than Kenny class/Kenny sh!te.

Bottom line for me is that he has deserved a longer runway than others might have received and it appears as though patience might be the right approach with the coaching and playing teams that he has assembled now seemingly turning a corner. I am not blindly following anything, i have already set out what i believe were bottom line requirements to stay in the job beyond this campaign. Prior to Serbia i wanted 7 or 8 points. He is on 4. Failure to beat Luxembourg and the FAI has some a valid question to ask / decision to make.

Now, who is the extremist between the two of us?
    You're backing the worst manager we've ever had and calling those who dare question him as extremists and saying they should be ignored. You may need to do some self reflection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    I think you are being disingenuous and i am guilty of not heeding my own advice and engaging you.

"blindly following something based on emotion" is a pretty nice parallel to extremism, no?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I think you are being disingenuous and i am guilty of not heeding my own advice and engaging you.

"blindly following something based on emotion" is a pretty nice parallel to extremism, no?
    There are those who will defend Kenny no matter what results are achieved. This has been proven. Criticising the manager overseeing this awful campaign is not extreme.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Watching the Kenny interview here, still an incoherent mess in front of the camera. Positive results havent had a positive effect on that.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Calling Kenny the worst manager we've ever had is a load of horse ****e. Absolute horse ****e.

From day one since Kenny took over, and remember we almost got to the Euro play off finals, he's been trying to play better football and bring in new players. We finished the other night with three teenagers on the pitch ffs.. what do you want, some ex pro from the Charlton era off looking for 30 yr old lads with an Irish granny. Or Robbie Keane?

Kenny will probably end up as one of those unlucky managers who ends up handing a cracking team to the next guy who comes in. But while he's there, back him. Mick Mc Carthys early games were muck too.. but he eventually moulded a team that should have gotten to a WC quarter final

Frankly I'm looking forward to being in Germany in 2024

And I'd be delighted if Kenny was there managing them

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Watching the Kenny interview here, still an incoherent mess in front of the camera. Positive results havent had a positive effect on that.
    Oh give it a rest ffs. Valid criticism is one thing, but you’re being ridiculous. But don’t worry, no doubt we’ll lose to Portugal next month with Kenny back in charge after Anthony Barry’s two wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    There are those who will defend Kenny no matter what results are achieved. This has been proven. Criticising the manager overseeing this awful campaign is not extreme.
    But, but but ...is Anthony Barry not running things ? Ah, only when we win. Gotcha.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

There are those who will criticize Kenny no matter what results are achieved would be a more accurate reflection of things I think. Most of the posters on this forum have a fairly nuanced view of things that include positives and negatives with Kenny's approach so far that you consistently ignore in favor of straw man arguments about his "defenders" putting him up as some sort of tactical genius who will having us tiki takaing our way to trophies.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I think my point has been made looking at the posts above. There are some Kenny fanatics who won't accept a bad word said about their messiah. No matter how bad results are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Is there a mute button or something to block posts from certain posters.
    Click a user's name next to a post, select "view profile" and on the screen that opens, click "Add to ignore list" on the left
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook