Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Feel like the third option with Robinson and McGrath behind Idah is probably our best option. Against Hungary Knight started out in a midfield three like option two but pushes up to pressure the oppositions and makes it a 3-4-2-1 and has the athleticism that McGrath wouldn't have to be more box to box. Browne has done similar and Kenny seems to rate him.

I'd like to see Parrott play the role that Idah has been playing tomorrow night. We shouldn't be going as direct at home on a better pitch. Should hopefully see more ball into feet than Bazunu picking out Idah. He's playing that link up role at MK Dons week in week out whereas Idah isn't game time.
    On the last point, I agree. And you'd have the safety blanket of being able to start Robinson off behind him but with the ability to push up beside him if necessary.

Interesting you fancy McGrath over Knight. I don't know where I sit on it at the moment. I think Hendrick adds a little guile beside Cullen but if Hendrick were missing I'd like to see Knight beside him. Failing that, I would like to see Knight start elsewhere but I see your logic on McGrath beside Robinson definitely. I suppose Knight over McGrath might work better against a better side with midfielders that could/would dominate us e.g. Portugal.

I wish Kenny had started McGrath over Horgan on Saturday to give a better indication of what that front three would have looked like. I said it before the match that he really should have. And at half time it was obvious that he really, really should have.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    On the last point, I agree. And you'd have the safety blanket of being able to start Robinson off behind him but with the ability to push up beside him if necessary.

Interesting you fancy McGrath over Knight. I don't know where I sit on it at the moment. I think Hendrick adds a little guile beside Cullen but if Hendrick were missing I'd like to see Knight beside him. Failing that, I would like to see Knight start elsewhere but I see your logic on McGrath beside Robinson definitely. I suppose Knight over McGrath might work better against a better side with midfielders that could/would dominate us e.g. Portugal.

I wish Kenny had started McGrath over Horgan on Saturday to give a better indication of what that front three would have looked like. I said it before the match that he really should have. And at half time it was obvious that he really, really should have.
    Yeah we need to find other options than Idah to play as a link up player. He's not getting games at club level so he's always gonna be lacking match sharpness and it showed at times the other night. Hopefully Keane gets a good run out tonight because he could plug a hole for us as a target man that can link up play.

I'm 50/50 on McGrath and Knight. Think both players offer us something different and depending on who we're playing you could choose one over the other and know you've got a good replacement to bring on later in the game. Would actually like to see Knight get some game time playing deeper next year as we badly need to find options to play in midfield with Cullen. ATM Hendrick is there but like Idah he's not playing games and feel we need someone that's playing week in week out like Cullen because both lads will have to do a lot of work in midfield.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The question needs to be asked. Why don't we just give Anthony Barry the managers role? He's running things in terms of formation, set pieces, style of play etc. Is Kenny selecting the team?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Or should we sack Barry for the results and performances of the team since he's been appointed that you've been so vocally critical of?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    You could make the same argument about Dean Kiely

7. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Or should we sack Barry for the results and performances of the team since he's been appointed that you've been so vocally critical of?
    He's not the boss, I'm assuming he's not picking the team. Is Kenny getting in the way? Theres no doubt that some things have improved since Barry has come in. Without Barry, Kenny would probably be gone by now. I've said for a while, I think Barry should be given the job. Yes, things haven't been perfect but Barry has definitely added some organisation and direction, prior to his arrival it was a bit of an amateurish mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Love it. Everything is crap, then as soon as we win a match, with a decent enough performance “sure Kenny isn’t even picking the team.” Priceless.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    He's not the boss, I'm assuming he's not picking the team. Is Kenny getting in the way? Theres no doubt that some things have improved since Barry has come in. Without Barry, Kenny would probably be gone by now. I've said for a while, I think Barry should be given the job. Yes, things haven't been perfect but Barry has definitely added some organisation and direction, prior to his arrival it was a bit of an amateurish mess.

You think the man who hired Barry is getting in Barry's way?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Love it. Everything is crap, then as soon as we win a match, with a decent enough performance “sure Kenny isn’t even picking the team.” Priceless.
    I wasn't that impressed with the performance and we beat Azerbaijan, let's not get carried away here.

Barry mightn't be the man for the job but no one can deny his influence on things. I'm pretty sure Kenny is picking the team and giving the inspiring team talks but apart from that, is Barry running the show?

I know it might be uncomfortable for some but it is entirely possible that Kenny is a bit of a hindrance to development. His reign was a bit of a rabble prior to Barry's arrival. I think we should consider appointing Barry or possibly keep him as coach with a more competent manager.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    You think the man who hired Barry is getting in Barry's way?
    Kenny has shown that he is out of his depth. Barry clearly isn't. That's all I'm saying.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    So you're happy with Kenny's hiring of Barry and supportive of the improvements seen since and you also think that, in Barry, we might have found someone who could at some point take the big job? Sound's like exactly the kind of hire you'd expect a good manager to make.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Is Barry the Messiah ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is Barry the Messiah ?
    And is Kenny a very naughty boy?

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    What kind of absolute garbage is this?

So the man Kenny had the foresight to appoint, his presence is a reason Kenny would be gone?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    If Kenny identified Anthony Barry as the coach to make a difference and encouraged his pursuit and appointment - then that's to his credit as team manager. But if Barry was parachuted in by the FAI to rehabilitate Kenny's dismal record then BOOM's theory is not without merit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    If Kenny identified Anthony Barry as the coach to make a difference and encouraged his pursuit and appointment - then that's to his credit as team manager. But if Barry was parachuted in by the FAI to rehabilitate Kenny's dismal record then BOOM's theory is not without merit.
    Sure...if it hadn't been mentioned at the time that the Barry connection came via Higgins or that Kenny had been looking to solve set pieces from an early stage. You're also assuming that the FAI has some Rolodex of unbelievably competent people ready to parachute in when needed. I think it's safe enough to say they don't.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/10/2021 at 8:46 AM. Reason: Corrected URL

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Sure...if it hadn't been mentioned at the time that the Barry connection came via Higgins or that Kenny had been looking to solve set pieces from an early stage. You're also assuming that the FAI has some Rolodex of unbelievably competent people ready to parachute in when needed. I think it's safe enough to say they don't.
    It was an either/or comment. If you say Kenny recruited Anthony Barry - that's good enough for me. And with my opinion of the FAI being more Rolo Cheesecake than Rolodex - be assured I assumed nothing.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/10/2021 at 8:47 AM. Reason: Corrected URL

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    It was an either/or comment. If you say Kenny recruited Anthony Barry - that's good enough for me. And with my opinion of the FAI being more Rolo Cheesecake than Rolodex - be assured I assumed nothing.
    I think you should apologise to Rolo cheesecakes for the unflattering comparison.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Your hypothesis fully questions Duffer's coaching capabilities, and I'm not having that either.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Your hypothesis fully questions Duffer's coaching capabilities, and I'm not having that either.
    Is Duffer doing any coaching now or at any high level ?