Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 177 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Stu is a positive, balanced, poster on this forum. He obviously made a post in jest. He's not one of these people who refuses to acknowledge problems in the set-up because it's "bad form".

As a coach, I take great interest in the warm-up sessions before games. Always have done. In my opinion it gives you a great idea as to how players are switched on before a game, or 'at it'. This goes across the age groups.
    The one Irish game I've been to in the last year - the 1-1 draw in Kobenhavn, I took great interest in the warm-up and the role Robbie had.

I wasn't impressed. I said it to my two amigos at the time, and a couple of times since; Robbie was in charge of two drills, and he continually messed them up for a couple of players, in particular, Ronan Curtis in a shooting drill. It was a basic bloody drill as well. From 4 attempts, Robbie didn't set Curtis up for a chance once. And not in a "let's see if you can retrieve the situation" messed-up way, either; just sloppy coaching.

The guy to be frank, is a f/king Irish footballing legend. But he has no right, nor has anyone, just to walk into coaching the national side, especially when they are collecting a wage. it's a slap in the face to the coaching system. One thing I am hopeful of changing - is the FAI being swayed by what one could call media-sentiment - and I refer to the notion that came to pass of Mick coming back for a second spell; of Roy Keane coming in as O'neill's number 2 - neither of which I believe was positive, and neither of which I believe was value for money.

There has been a significant number of people across the various media channels (social media, tv, papers) who aren't impressed by the situation with Kenny and McCarthy as it has played out. I even saw someone rejoice at the prospect of reality hitting Irish 'fans' once they realise that Ireland wont be playing like Brazil with Stephen Kenny in charge. Apart from the scandalous contracts that have been paid out to the recently departed, I'm very happy with the current siutation.

I think we've the capacity to play a better type of football. I think we've the capacity to achieve greater results. Unfortunately in the case of O'Neill, and what was witnessed under McCarthy, I don't believe that there was any prospect of that happening under either of them, and rightly they were dismissed.
    I've seen analysis of the McCarthy era (2) range from vastly improved, regrouped players, to d+.

As for Kenny. He's been nothing but impressive since he got the 21s gig, whatever you think about him before that. It's a grade that we've overlooked - ignored almost - through the years, and in my opinion it has killed us. Managers have used the excuse that it's a stepping stone to the Seniors, to excuse **** result after **** result. People talk about Mick potentially missing out on the Euro's (and I echo the comments elsewhere that if we qualify now, it's not his qualification, sorry Tets), consider that the 21s if they beat Iceland in Tallaght, are guaranteed at worst a playoff to qualify for the 21s finals, Stephen Kenny misses out on that prospect as well.

He's picked a few guys, who I think if we're being fair here, wouldn't have been picked by any of us, or by some of the other so-called experts on social media. Jacko Taylor is one straight off the top of the head. "non-league no-mark" was one of the terms used when he was called into a Kenny squad, and at the moment he looks like a guy who could get snapped up by a PL team, such is his impact on Peterboro's form. Elbouzedi, Kilkenny, Travers are others. He's obviously well able to look outside the box.

He's constantly preached the positive, without it sounding false, wishy-washy, or patronising. We won't dominate teams, but I think we'll play better football, and I believe we'll become an aggressive side from the top down. Nobody will be allowed to give the opposition a minutes rest - this is a hallmark of most of the Irish underage sides from what I've seen - and I think our lads will be encouraged that when they do get the ball back that it's used to make the opposition sweat for a bit.

Parking the Euro playoffs for a minute - none of us know what's going to happen re scheduling - and look at the Nations League group. For a new guy coming in, I think he'll be absolutely delighted. We've a really nice group, that will suit our potential group of players. Bulgaria are in the absolute doldrums right now, and have been for a while. To start off with an away match almost suits Kenny, in terms of pressure. The last two managers have shown f'all ambition in winning games away from home, therefore there's zero expectation of going to Bulgaria and winning. I've no doubt Kenny will be aiming for three points there, and we should be well capable of doing it. Then there's Finland at home before Wales

I agree with those who say Kenny won't push a huge amount of his 21s squad into the Senior setup. But I do think he'll look at it and change things up. 4 2 3 1 will be the set up, and I would imagine he'll want more from the likes of Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, but especially the likes of O'Dowda and Ronan Curtis. Jeff Hendrick will be the type of player who will be expected to embody that aggressive press while using the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Curtis flank McGoldrick initially. (#I've a hard-on for Curtis, I think he's got a smashing skillset, and he's a player who will fit a Kenny-side nicely).
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Great post.

On Curtis, I am excited to see what players come into Kenny's team and why. We know he generally plays a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. Could we see Molumby in midfield? Cullen too? Could Byrne play at 10? Might Doherty play in midfield and maybe Kenny can coax a tune out of Doherty somewhere other than right back better than Mick could? Duffy has been a rock for us and I do think he is better on the ball than some give him credit for but will Kenny be able to get Duffy to choose to step up consistently, instead of pinging the diagonal ball that it appeared McCarthy had him doing?

In fact, I'm as keen on seeing whether Kenny can help some of the stagnating players that are already there. Can Long have a renaissance? Can Hourihane improve? Will he actually find a role for Hendrick and will Brady get a run? Alan Browne looks to have plenty of the requisites for international level but has not grasped it at this level like he has the Championship- could he fit into Kenny's midfield and offer us goals and energy?

Kenny might tank. But I would rather he tanked trying to answer some of the above questions and bringing in a few younger lads than what we have endured under Trap and MON, and Mick to a lesser extent (but an extent nonetheless).

Over the last few regimes, I have often baulked at hearing the team selection on my way up to the Aviva. There have been so many instances of decisions that don't appear justifiable and if the justification exists, then it didn't prove very exciting. I'm just looking forward to the unknown.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Great post.

On Curtis, I am excited to see what players come into Kenny's team and why. We know he generally plays a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. Could we see Molumby in midfield? Cullen too? Could Byrne play at 10? Might Doherty play in midfield and maybe Kenny can coax a tune out of Doherty somewhere other than right back better than Mick could?
    You want to discuss potential team selections, formations? brilliant, no better man. My whatsapp group will thank you
    It's one of the things that we, as fans, look forward to when a new manager comes in: the possibilities.
    Some of the questions that I'd love to see answered would be:
    • The age-old question: Will he be fluid with formation, or will it be tried and trusted and players mould to fit the formation? i.e. does he pick his best XI and work a formation around them, or does he pick his formation and select the best players for that formation?
    • Will he reward players with good club form?
    • Will he be level-ist? I.e. if a PL player is fit, he gets selected over a Championship player, regardless of form, ability etc?
    • Does a player have to be playing for his club to be selected?

For me, Jason Molumby must be a starter. Parrott, Connolly, Idah have got the headlines from the 21s and subsequently with clubs, but Molumby has been the standout for the 21s. He's been off-the-charts good. He's given the players ahead of him a platform that the MNT haven't had in a generation, and he's been excellent for Millwall, from the bits I've seen, and from all their commentators. As a country, we've been far too slow to integrate previously unused players into the squad, nevermind the team, to the point that when they are form-players for their clubs, they are almost resetting themselves when they come into the national squad. Doherty is a case in point. Shaun Williams is another player who I would have used more in the last few years, and could consider himself unlucky not to have made the team, not least the squad.

Duffy has been a rock for us and I do think he is better on the ball than some give him credit for but will Kenny be able to get Duffy to choose to step up consistently, instead of pinging the diagonal ball that it appeared McCarthy had him doing?
    This is where we will diverge, and it's one that I know very few will agree with me on, and I accept that. For me, Shane Duffy isn't the strength of the Irish team, he's actually the weakness. Shane's 'strengths' have almost been elevated to McGrath levels of defensive performance. It's tosh.
    The first thing I'd point out, is the general weakness both on and off the ball. He does not have pace. When players get the wrong side of him, he's what I'd refer to as gangly.

His use of the ball is both killing us, and perversely, helping him. I would agree - absolutely - that in a backs to the wall situation, he is a rock. However, I think we've fallen into the trap, since he's become first choice, of retreating so deep that we become under siege. We win the ball, hoof it long, don't push out, and invite teams onto us. Because of the way we utilise McGoldrick, and our midfield, we drop deeper, and the cycle repeats itself.
    Sure people will point to the MOTD segment where him and Dunk were lauded last season, but for me it didn't stand up to scrutiny. Look at the games under Mick. First up was Gibraltar, in an absolute gale. 5 seconds, ball hoofed 50 yds up into the gale and blown out over the sideline. Ad nauseum. Next game, home to Georgia, probably our best footballing performance under Mick, Richard Keogh - the much maligned Richard Keogh, started all the moves from the back, noticeably so.
    The other aspect, and I don't think it's his fault necessarily, is that we've become so obvious in offensive set-pieces (for a team that wins an inordinate amount of attacking free-kicks), that it's getting easier to defend against. Some ingenuity here -such as using him as a bloody decoy - would be nice. It's not as if we don't hear enough crap about international weeks being boring.
    This is the conundrum that Kenny has to solve. Anyone who doesn't think that this issue isn't a priority isn't paying enough attention in my mind.

We've heard constantly about how the midfield didn't do enough to want the ball. It's difficult to want the ball when you've not a bloody clue what type of ball you're getting!

To qualify the above, and to be fair to him, I think the issues are exacerbated by the goalkeeper.

In fact, I'm as keen on seeing whether Kenny can help some of the stagnating players that are already there. Can Long have a renaissance? Can Hourihane improve? Will he actually find a role for Hendrick and will Brady get a run? Alan Browne looks to have plenty of the requisites for international level but has not grasped it at this level like he has the Championship- could he fit into Kenny's midfield and offer us goals and energy?
    Which leads me to Randolph. I would implore all of you who go to the games, to look at Randolph when we are attacking. Watch his positioning in relation to the defence, and to the team. It's a handicap.
    Hourihane, Brady, Hendrick, McClean. They've been underwhelming, and it's a problem that needs resolving quickly. Which leads to McGoldrick. He's one of the few bright spots. Clever, great technically, links play well, spots gaps. He's not a 9. Not ever. Yet we've picked him there. We created a problem where none existed by picking him as a 9, and getting him to link play as a 10. Georgia home illustrated this perfectly.

O'Dowda, Browne, Cullen, Byrne, Collins, Curtis, Manning, Cunningham; these lads either haven't had enough of a run, or any run at all.

Horgan is someone who will surely be aiming to get playing football again. It's mad that when we've little to no actual wingers, the one we do have doesn't get a look in. You could make allowances in that his club career has stagnated.

Kenny might tank. But I would rather he tanked trying to answer some of the above questions and bringing in a few younger lads than what we have endured under Trap and MON, and Mick to a lesser extent (but an extent nonetheless).
    I've questioned at times some selection decisions that have been made, when "experimenting". I;m sure it's not the case, but there have been times when it looks as if something was done, to deliberately fail, under both managers. The castigating of Doherty after the Gibraltar game was a head-scratcher.

Over the last few regimes, I have often baulked at hearing the team selection on my way up to the Aviva. There have been so many instances of decisions that don't appear justifiable and if the justification exists, then it didn't prove very exciting. I'm just looking forward to the unknown.
    Absolutely. Fully agree.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    and so the petty comments continue...

none of us is privy to what Robbie contributed during camp, scouting players etc but he comes across as too proud and committed to any cause he is involved with to simply be a hanger on
    Robbie will manage Ireland one day. Easily the best striker we ever had, and, thanks to his record, one of the best in international football. In addition, Robbie is one of the most intelligent and diplomatic speakers to ever pull on a football shirt - something which will hold him in good stead when he's manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    . In addition, Robbie is one of the most intelligent and diplomatic speakers to ever pull on a football shirt - something which will hold him in good stead when he's manager.
    Honestly? This is a wind-up right?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Just a note to add that doing well in the nations league is a vital opportunity we have been handed for a potential playoff and to get into the second seeding pot for the World Cup Qualifiers themselves. If they are not treated with the utmost respect then it will be an opportunity missed. I think the pressure will be on from the get-go.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Robbie will manage Ireland one day.
    Maybe, you never know. I wouldn't begrudge him the chance. But he has to earn his spurs and prove his competency first. He's a young, inexperienced coach, and past glory on the pitch counts for very little now.

Easily the best striker we ever had, and, thanks to his record, one of the best in international football.
    Undoubtedly - a different level even among the elite.

In addition, Robbie is one of the most intelligent and diplomatic speakers to ever pull on a football shirt - something which will hold him in good stead when he's manager.
    The split infinitive is the least baffling thing in that statement.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Maybe, you never know. I wouldn't begrudge him the chance. But he has to earn his spurs and prove his competency first. He's a young, inexperienced coach, and past glory on the pitch counts for very little now.

Undoubtedly - a different level even among the elite.

The split infinitive is the least baffling thing in that statement.
    As we have a lot of time on our hands ; Can you explain the split infinity ?

In the cause of raising standards of course !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    It's one for the grammar nuts....

The infinitive of any verb is to [something] - to go, to pull. The two words are integral and shouldn't be broken up, or split. To split an infinitive is to [wrongly] place an adverb between the 'to' and the rest of the infinitive.

I love Star Trek but when Kirk says 'to boldly go' instead of the correct 'to go boldly' or the slightly more archaic 'boldly to go'- oof, that launches me into warp speed instantly.

As you point out, we have a lot of time on our hands.... Some of us, perhaps, more than is good for us!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    It's one for the grammar nuts....

The infinitive of any verb is to [something] - to go, to pull. The two words are integral and shouldn't be broken up, or split. To split an infinitive is to [wrongly] place an adverb between the 'to' and the rest of the infinitive.

I love Star Trek but when Kirk says 'to boldly go' instead of the correct 'to go boldly' or the slightly more archaic 'boldly to go'- oof, that launches me into warp speed instantly.

As you point out, we have a lot of time on our hands.... Some of us, perhaps, more than is good for us!
    To boldly write....

This is one of the best things I've read on this forum this year.

Its been a quiet year...
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/i-have-the-absolute-heig

Stephen Kenny says he has "respect" for Robbie Keane but insists that he was entitled to bring Keith Andrews on board as assistant manager with the senior Ireland team, which meant no role for Keane.
    Kenny also said today he has the utmost faith in his backroom team of Keith Andrews and Damien Duff but has not yet been able to speak to Robbie Keane about the lack of a role for him on Kenny's coaching staff, saying that "contractual issues" prevented him from a one-on-one chat with Keane.
    The new Ireland manager added that his set-up will not be a closed shop as he hopes to revitalise the international career of players like Robbie Brady and Matt Doherty - and he also hopes all schoolboy teams in the country will want to play like his senior Republic of Ireland side.
    Speaking to the media today for the first time since Saturday's appointment Kenny said:
    that the Ireland job was "the dream job"
    he wants every schoolboy side in Ireland to want to play in the same style as his senior team
    he won't pick his team based solely on the number of minutes played by players at club level.
    he had been watching games in the Championship, pre-coronavirus, to assess the squad he would inherit
    captain Seamus Coleman is the only member of the current senior squad he has spoken to since taking the job
    he will consider home-based players for selection but added that appearances in European competition will carry extra weight
    he expects to play the Euro 2020 playoff against Slovakia in October
    Kenny says he will speak to members of the current squad in turn as he felt it was "only right" to just speak to Seamus Coleman in his role as captain, but he feels there is a lot more in Robbie Brady and Matt Doherty, while he's a big fan of John Egan.
    "I think there is a good group coming through, we are not relying on one or two individuals but we also have a lot of quality within our senior squad at the moment," Kenny said
    "Our back four have been very consistent. The addition of John Egan into the back four changes the dynamic of the back four, rather than having two traditional No. 5s ,that changes everything, how you play. Raiding full backs and a the composition of the back four, that gives you a great platform to go and build the rest.
    "We have a lot of talented players. It's difficult to know why, for example, someone like Robbie Brady was three years ago our most creative player and now at times hasn't got into the 22, how has that happened? My job is to try and unlock the potential of the whole team and find the best way of doing that, that's how I see my job."
    Kenny said he would consider new roles for his players.
    "Going back a number of years, Matt Doherty is 28, John Egan is 27. Matt only has two competitive starts for Ireland, John Egan has two and a half. It's hard to fathom as three years ago, John Egan went for four million to Sheffield United, in my eyes he was ready them to play in our first team.
    "It's not been a Matt Doherty/Seamus Coleman battle as Matt can play left back, right back, in advance positions, other players have played in them positions over the years ahead of Matt. I look at Sheffield United and Wolves in the top six in the Premier League and they are among their best players, two teams I admire."

Kenny says he has yet to speak to Keane about where he stands with the FAI but Kenny has no role for the ex-captain.
    "I have the height of respect for Robbie Keane, what he has achieved is incredible. We don't know each other that well but any time we have had a conversation we got on fine, as the manager you have the right to pick your own backroom team. It's important with the roles that there's not blurred lines, clearly defined roles are important, and that's what I learned from my own personal experience," Kenny said.
    "Keith Andrews has been my assistant with the U-21s, we have established a good rapport and a good way of working together, I have watched Damien Duff's coaching career at Celtic, he has played a pivotal role in what's a potential treble for them, the role he has played so Damien comes on board and it's about selecting my own team, who I feel can complement each other.
    "It all happened really quickly last weekend, on Friday, I would have preferred to have a conversation with him but circumstances weren't right to do that, so that was the situation. He's had an incredible playing career, is assistant manager at a great club in Middlesbrough and I am sure he has a great future as assistant manager and manager," added Kenny who said there were "complex contractual issues" in relation to Keane.
    Kenny says he wants people in Ireland to look up to his team and promises attacking football.
    "I think I’ve only got one chance, you’ve only got one opportunity. The ambition will be to dominate possession, we can’t promise to achieve that. I want people to come to the Aviva Stadium and enjoy watching this team," he added.
    "The majority of Irish public want to see an exciting team, a team that does well, make a connection with the team which is important. I want schoolboy teams to look and say we want to play like that."
    Kenny also said he hopes to have a number of games under his belt as manager before the Slovakia match comes up.
    "We might have three games in windows rather than two, that's unprecedented but I have no problem with that, I have dealt with that before, you manage it accordingly. When the playoff happens I'm not sure, if it's the first game I will make sure the team is ready, indications are it [Slovakia] is possibly due to be October with the final in November, if that's the case, brilliant, we'll have a few games to formulate our ideas and get ready for that game," he said.
    "All indication are that Slovakia will not be the first game. I am preparing for September in my own head but if that's changed again you have to adapt. At the moment I am preparing for September."

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    The situation with Robbie is a bit weird. Given a 4 year contract when Mick was given a 2 year one. I would have thought that the 4 years was with the blessing of Kenny who would keep him on, but obviously not.

It just again highlights the utter shambles the previous FAI regimen was with Delaney and the fact that we have moved on from that is as exciting as the future on the pitch with Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Great comments from Kenny. Love the ambitious attitude. I’m a big Robbie fan but happy Kenny has brought in his own team, making clean break from previous regime. No doubt Robbie will one day be involved again, perhaps as senior manager. Focusing full time on his role with Boro will do Robbie no harm.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Great comments from Kenny. Love the ambitious attitude.
    Absolutely agree, we've had countless years of managers telling us that we are not capable of anything other than direct football and hoping for the best. I dont expect us to turn into Spain over night but there is no reason that we cant be competitive.

International football does not have that many amazing teams and generally teams are elevated by one or 2 top class players. Well organised teams that play football can do well, Switzerland would be a good example of this. We should not have an inferiority complex going away to Georgia thinking a draw is a good result because they can keep possession better than us.

I always look individually at the opposition and what level their players are playing at with their clubs and its pretty rare that there is a majority playing at a much higher standard than our players at club level. We have a lot of players at mid table Premiership clubs and high end Championship, most teams outside of the big guys dont have much more than that.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Don't know why this stuff with Keane is even relevant, apart from his mouthy wife seemingly an expert on football coaching matters....
    Anyway, hopefully Kenny will be able to deal with the enormous pressure of being Ireland manager. His last 2 gigs came with little or no pressure and with that he proved himself to be an astute, progressive, successful manager. This will be different. How do you deal with <MOD EDIT - don't try to get around the obscenity filter>
    footballers like Hendrick, Brady and McClean? Hopefully Kenny will have the courage of his convictions and pick players who can pass and move, a basic tenet of 21st century football. I can't see him using the captain caveman football that has besmirched Ireland for so long, but will the ignorant Ireland football masses stomach the need for patience in getting us to play that way? I wish the man every success, and like most LOI fans see this as an appointment of one of our own.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/04/2020 at 11:49 AM.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Honestly? This is a wind-up right?
    Not a wind up at all. I've listened to Robbie give interviews over 20 years or so. He never once put his foot in his mouth like many others do. He speaks honestly and gives credit where it is due. As reliable as his striking presence is his presence in front of the microphone.

On a different note, I agree wholeheartedly with you in your assessment of Shane Duffy. He is unfortunately a throwback to an era of Irish football which never evolved. Just stick a boot or a head on the ball if it comes near the defense. Hopefully Kenny can change all that

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Not a wind up at all. I've listened to Robbie give interviews over 20 years or so. He never once put his foot in his mouth like many others do. He speaks honestly and gives credit where it is due. As reliable as his striking presence is his presence in front of the microphone.

On a different note, I agree wholeheartedly with you in your assessment of Shane Duffy. He is unfortunately a throwback to an era of Irish football which never evolved. Just stick a boot or a head on the ball if it comes near the defense. Hopefully Kenny can change all that
    We all love Robbie but he can't speak English

27. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Kenny says "contractual issues" prevented him from a one-on-one chat with Keane.
    Even by FAI standards, this sounds totally absurd, well beyond my comprehension level.

I'm looking foreward to the Kenny era, but I'm not listening to the talk so much. He said he's into 4231 or 433 and that's fair enough for me as I'm biased towards 4231 for a team of Ireland's capabilities. Probably (I hope) he already has 23 out of 30 players in mind and he can talk game plans at this stage, because there's that balance to be found between player profiles and a coach's tactical game plan.

29. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I think I would like to see a team like this and we may well get to see a team like the following using a 4-2-3-1:
    Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Molumby McCarthy
    Connolly/Doherty/Long Hendrick Brady
    McGoldrick

Or maybe even a 4-3-3 as follows:
    Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Doherty McCarthy Hendrick
    Long McGoldrick Brady

I'm intrigued to see what he does with Doherty. He has named Coleman as his captain and state that Doherty can play further forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the right of a midfield 3 in the 4-3-3 or maybe the right of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. I think that the latter would be very exciting if Kenny provides Doherty with a clearly defined role and coaching.

Likewise, I can see Long and Brady coming into the reckoning in a big way. Brady has been name-checked by Kenny and he's flexible enough to deliver creatively in a couple of positions if he is given the opportunity to do so. There's a rumour that Long didn't get on great with Robbie Keane (based on Keane making a clumsy and somewhat insulting reference to Long years ago). I think Long on the right or at 9 is very viable for Kenny. But Connolly and Robinson should be options too. Callum O'Dowda and Ronan Curtis in with a shout?

I hope Molumby and McCarthy (if he wants it) get a foothold at the base of midfield. Both can put their foot in and put their foot on the ball. Josh Cullen is there too but I haven't seen enough of him and have seen more of Molumby and McCarthy.

I also hope that Kenny can improve Hendrick for us. And if he doesn't, then maybe Alan Browne comes into contention.

31. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Kenny says "contractual issues" prevented him from a one-on-one chat with Keane.
    Even by FAI standards, this sounds totally absurd, well beyond my comprehension level.
    Just for a moment park the wages element of Robbie's contract. Look at all the "coaching" opportunities in the FAI men's stream.

Senior: Stephen Kenny, Keith Andrews, Damien Duff, Alan Kelly;
    21's: Jim Crawford, John O'Shea, Damien Doyle, Dan Connor;

19's: Tom Mohan, Mick Neville, Colin Healy, Mark Scanlon;
    18s: Andy Reid;
    17s: Colin O'Brien, Ian Hill, Josh Moran, David Meyler, Michael Looby, Shane Power;
    16s: Paul Osam, Mark Connors, Richard Dunne;
    15s: Jason Donohue;

There's no spot for Robbie, anywhere along the chain, as the underage sides are set now, so he'll be waiting for someone to drop out if he wants a slot. And again, ignore the personalities involved here. Robbie is an Irish legend and should rightly be regarded as such. But that's based on what he did on the field as our main goalscorer and captain. Damien Duff is every bit of Robbie's equal in the legend stakes, yet still came back to Dublin to finish his career, before starting his career on a LoI academy side and progressing. Meyler, Andrews, Healy. They all have gone for the slog - the underage sides - and we'll see where it takes them.
    Back to the wages angle. I saw a reference to wages last weekend, and it was in the context of what the FAI's salary for management would be this year compared to last year, whereby they was a pointer that Robbie's wages was equal to the entire underage wage bill (could also have been referring to Kenny so apologies on that). If that's the case re: wages, then I suspect the former pro's (Healy, Reid, Meyler, Dunne) are being paid a nominal fee, if anything at all. I'll qualify that if you want.
    Robbie Keane, or anybody, doesn't have the right to expect a place on a coaching ticket. I wasn't impressed that he was given one to begin with by McCarthy, and I've no axe to grind with Keane.
    On the other hand, a contract is a contract. But a national side is a different kettle of fish. That we would be paying a 3rd in the pecking order 250k, with no coaching experience, and a multi-millionaire many times over, is ludicrous. I would have hoped the Quinn would have a word, and advise him to let it go, get the experience with Boro (or whereever) and when the next opportunity comes up, we'll speak to you.
    The fact that Mrs Keane has been mouthing to the papers, and the even more simple fact that it's not black and white and he's gone, suggests that Robbie isn't willing to let the contract be rescinded, and wants a space that isn't available, or the contract to be met.

All that considered, when Kenny was being briefed by Dervan or Quinn, I'd imagine he was being told that "contractual issues" is the legal speak he was advised to use to avoid saying something contentious, or could be used against the FAI if the issue went further.

I'm looking foreward to the Kenny era, but I'm not listening to the talk so much.
    As others have said, he's not a polished speaker, but he's not trying to be either. He has ticks or flaws that most people have in front of the camera. I suspect that he'll keep the RTE interviews to the minimal, and honestly, the interview on the side of the hill in the wind, taking questions from a distanced TOD shouting, was stupid, but it's got to be done. Far more interesting was the online interviews that he's given, where he's been much more relaxed, and easier to talk about what he's expecting.

He said he's into 4231 or 433 and that's fair enough for me as I'm biased towards 4231 for a team of Ireland's capabilities. Probably (I hope) he already has 23 out of 30 players in mind and he can talk game plans at this stage, because there's that balance to be found between player profiles and a coach's tactical game plan.
    I would imagine he's got more than 30 players lined up. I would think that's something that he's going to surprise a lot of us with. Look at some of the signings for Dundalk. Look at some of the players he brought into the 21s. Taylor for example, was criticised as being a non-league player, but he's developed hugely in a short space of time.
    What will be of interest will be the games he's going to see in the flesh, and the one's where he's watching recordings of.

Page 4 of 177 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast