Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 45 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    Mick McCarthy's efforts in our qualification group looking better by the day as this tournament progresses.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Mick McCarthy's efforts in our qualification group looking better by the day as this tournament progresses.
    No its not, Georgia are not in this tournament and that away game showed McCarthy for what he is in a winable game.

We were awful away to Switzerland so when we needed a win so not sure how his efforts in that game look good.

Things have not gone well for Kenny, but lets not lament the days of McCarthy like that was something we want to go back to
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 28/06/2021 at 10:22 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    No its not, Georgia are not in this tournament and that away game showed McCarthy for what he is in a winable game.

We were awful away to Switzerland so when we needed a win so not sure how his efforts in that game look good.

Things have not gone well for Kenny, but lets not lament the days of McCarthy like that was something we want to go back to
    There was a few bad performances but I'd far prefer the McCarthy reign of almost qualifying for a major tournament, putting it up to top teams and only losing one match away to Switzerland to the utter garbage served up under Kenny.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Kerr has to be the irish coach if Kenny goes. Maybe Chris Hughton. Dont know but Neil Lennon is not a bad coach.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    There was a few bad performances but I'd far prefer the McCarthy reign of almost qualifying for a major tournament, putting it up to top teams and only losing one match away to Switzerland to the utter garbage served up under Kenny.
    How did we "almost qualify"? We won 3 matches, 2 of which were against Gibraltar and a group full of terrible performances. We were then gifted a play-off spot because of the Nations League, in which we finished bottom of our group. 16/35 teams that didn't qualify automatically got play-off spots. We picked up 3/12 points against the top 2 seeds and dropped points to Georgia. That's not almost qualifying.

The new Euros format is a joke and by our measurement, most teams "almost qualify". McCarthy reign amounts to a handful of draws in a relatively soft group and terrible performances where we didn't get near winning the must-win games. He needed at least 6 points in the last three games and got 2.

Kenny hasn't been a success by any measurement other than capping new players, but lets not pretend McCarthy's second reign was good.
    Last edited by ColourfulPeanut; 28/06/2021 at 11:34 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Not at al ... Bit Kenny is a clown. Or act as one which is worst. The guy is passionate but we are already out of the conversation after two mstches as Kerr said. Kerr, McCarthy, Mon they all had made mistakes. They had a structure, we lost un serbia and Kenny was amazed about how the team improved. We lost. It is a result game

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    thats why I want to ask irish friends if you feel the same as we do in Argentina, watching the eurocopa 2020. European defenders they dont defend at all, they forgot of being streetwise at defending , they dont do the body check no more, no hussle no bruises no kicks in the shin , they always seem distracted or out of focus, some are very naive, they allow space and time to attackers, maybe the Guardiola revolution from the back is making better footballers but crappy defenders....

and Ireland are ok in that aspect, we have good defenders in Egan and Kevin Long or any others from the irish squad, Could you imagine Paul McGrath or Rune Brathseth down face to the floor as Kimpembe did after Gavranovic did his dummy to score in injury time. No.

We have good defenders they dont have the finesse of Lenglet or Laporte but they can defend, For me Egan is better than most of the sweepers that played at the euro 2020, i would feel very strange if Everton or Leicester dont buy him. He is leadership material.

We must focus on scoring goals that is our "Aquiles heel", and pray for Kenny not open up our back 4 or back 3 we got very exposed under him, and they scored, we lacked that final third, so the result vs Luxemburg... we are already out of contention from the WC, we must build for the future and from the goalkeeper and the back line, in the meantime we must look for that killing pass to put someone one on one and that guy able to find the net

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Gotta give Kenny credit for matching Germany and France's result against Hungary in that case, no?

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    You are all wrong about Roy. Treated badly by Mick and the team. How dare you pick on him... I will now leave quietly!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    You are all wrong about Roy. Treated badly by Mick and the team. How dare you pick on him... I will now leave quietly!
    Did Roy once say he would not be a Pundit ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Kerr has to be the irish coach if Kenny goes. Maybe Chris Hughton. Dont know but Neil Lennon is not a bad coach.
    Kerr will have been out of football management for ten years by the end of the current qualifiers. To the best of my knowledge, in that time, he hasn't been linked with a single job.

Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    How did we "almost qualify"? We won 3 matches, 2 of which were against Gibraltar and a group full of terrible performances. We were then gifted a play-off spot because of the Nations League, in which we finished bottom of our group. 16/35 teams that didn't qualify automatically got play-off spots. We picked up 3/12 points against the top 2 seeds and dropped points to Georgia. That's not almost qualifying.

The new Euros format is a joke and by our measurement, most teams "almost qualify". McCarthy reign amounts to a handful of draws in a relatively soft group and terrible performances where we didn't get near winning the must-win games. He needed at least 6 points in the last three games and got 2.

Kenny hasn't been a success by any measurement other than capping new players, but lets not pretend McCarthy's second reign was good.
    I don't think anyone is, but getting three draws and a loss from two teams in the quarter finals of the euros isn't a bad record.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 29/06/2021 at 8:39 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I don't think anyone is, but getting three draws and a loss from two teams in the quarter finals of the euros isn't a bad record.
    Isn't a bad record ..... How much was he on again? For a balls in the box game plan.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I have a feeling Neil Lennon will not be graduating to international management after his most recent season.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I have a feeling Neil Lennon will not be graduating to international management after his most recent season.
    Maybe the England job ( wink )

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Duffy will keep Ronaldo in his pocket!

Just on Kenny, watching Denmark do so well shows just how far we have gone backwards since he took over. It's common now to paint us as also rans prior to the Kenny reign. There was some dreadful displays but we absolutely battered Denmark in the 1-1 draw in the last game of the group having already drawn with them 1-1 in Copenhagen. From going really close to qualifying for the Euros in a group with Switzerland and Denmark to being knocked out of qualifying for the World cup by Luxemburg.
    Its funny because Oneills mate said we were much improved from the side that they played 2 years previously and he believed we would make the Euros through the play-offs.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post

I think I was one of those who was quite angry with our display in georgia under Oneill where we poxed a win and a lovely goal from mcgeady. But Georgia are a very good side at home, they were very unlucky to not draw with Spain at home recently, going up 1-0. They've had good results before and after that O'Neill one. So I wouldn't hold McCarthy solely on that performance. However we played under him we were competitive, and it was noted by the Danish manager at the time we were much improved from under Oneills tenure.

There's no comparing Kennys games in charge(so far at least) and McCarthy, we were far more competitive under McCarthy than we have been under Kenny, we looked much better defensively, better shape, more solid. The football was just as bad as anything we've seen under Kenny though, that's true - Hungary excepting.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    .... and McCarthy, we were far more competitive under McCarthy than we have been under Kenny, we looked much better defensively, better shape, more solid.
    Nothing more than low percentage football. Keep it tight, win the individual battles/ second balls, lob it into the box at every opportunity, strength in set-plays. Championship football on the international stage.

His well-paid brief was qualification - which he did not achieve. He recorded 3 competitive wins against Gibraltar (twice) and Georgia at home. (Georgia at home is accepted as a good team performance, both games against Gibraltar considered sub-par). Failed to win any of the decisive games in the group.

To summarise: we stumbled to wins against Gibraltar, we "hammered" Georgia 1-0 at home, we laboured to a draw away to Georgia, we were outclassed away to Switzerland, and we won the moral victories at home to the Swiss and home + away to Denmark. Basically par for the course for an Irish team in a qualification campaign - we're there or there abouts. Same old rubbish and another episode of short-termism to add to the list.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    If mick doesn't have that ridiculous 1m exit bonus. He would have looked to have stayed on v Slovakia. It's just my opinion but if we play that game with the long ball, I think we would have won it. Then its northern Ireland in the final. It's not fair as its hypothetical but it's my guess anyway

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Nothing more than low percentage football. Keep it tight, win the individual battles/ second balls, lob it into the box at every opportunity, strength in set-plays. Championship football on the international stage.

His well-paid brief was qualification - which he did not achieve. He recorded 3 competitive wins against Gibraltar (twice) and Georgia at home. (Georgia at home is accepted as a good team performance, both games against Gibraltar considered sub-par). Failed to win any of the decisive games in the group.

To summarise: we stumbled to wins against Gibraltar, we "hammered" Georgia 1-0 at home, we laboured to a draw away to Georgia, we were outclassed away to Switzerland, and we won the moral victories at home to the Swiss and home + away to Denmark. Basically par for the course for an Irish team in a qualification campaign - we're there or there abouts. Same old rubbish and another episode of short-termism to add to the list.
    Whats wrong with winning the individual battles, strength in set plays, winning second balls? It worked well for Switzerland yesterday. Second balls usually show a sign of a team on top.

What's the Utopia you're looking for here? Croatia and Spain played manys a long ball, lob it up to the front, or into the box through the game yesterday and what it proved was the art of defending seems to have been forgotten by many "top"(ball playing, fancy passing )teams.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think you are guilty of seeing what you want to see, Paul. Both teams in the game you mentioned played a heavily possession based game yesterday. Spain raided out wide and Croatia focused through the middle. Long balls to the channels or from defender to the central attacker occurring i would say less than 10% of the time. Sure, Croatia went a little more direct in the last 15 minutes but they had to and Spain were soft in the middle. There is also a lot of difference between what constitutes a "long ball" by Croatia or Spain (long passes) vs. Ireland (garryowens).

We dont have the strikers to play the "long ball" game effectively - but i am all for being a little more direct into the wide channels for our speedy forwards to run on to which, i think, we saw more of under SK against Hungary.

27. Thanks From: