Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 42 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    True, but it's reached another level in the last 12 months. In the 11 games before Kenny took over, we scored 13 goals
    In his 11 games in charge, we've scored 4 goals - as many as we scored Mick McCarthy's final 2 games (1 V Denmark, 3 V New Zealand)
    Yeah, it's hard to dispute the stats too much, but I do think that's a little simplistic. Take the 6 goals in the pretty meaningless friendlies out of Mick's tenure and we're left with 7 in 8 matches, four of which were against Georgia and Gibraltar. Prior to that O'Neill's spell ended with four blanks in a row.

It can certainly be argued the situation has got worse but was that not inevitable anyway when trying to bed in the likes of Idah (who doesn't start in the Championship) and Connolly (who doesn't really score in the PL), not to mention trying to completely transform our style of play?

On the plus side we have scored three in the last three, so maybe the first sign that the tide is turning a little, albeit a hard sell with the blank against Luxembourg sandwiched in the middle.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Against Andorra things can only go wrong - even if we beat them 6-0 playing amazing football, it means nothing really. But a failure to beat them means a whole lot.

Against Hungary, there's the potential for a good performance to actually mean something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't know, the longer he goes without that first win the more the pressure mounts and it really becomes a thing, even more so than it is already.

I think it's worth playing just to remove the "Stephen Kenny, who's still looking for his first win as Republic of Ireland manager...." from the start of every news report.

I see what you mean in terms of risk versus reward, but just go and win the bloody game - please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Would I change my mind on Kenny if we beat Andorra and Hungary?

I was very patient with him, acknowledging the lack of quality available to him outside of defence and the need for time to refresh the squad, but I turned on Kenny after Luxembourg. I thought there was a distinct possibility of a draw there (which many others dismissed) but the defeat was crossing a Rubicon.

Andorra is a must win. He's waffled about that in the media, but if he doesn't win it, he can **** off and I don't care where to. Andorra are ****e. Shamrock Rovers should beat them, never mind Ireland.

Hungary are better than people think. A 0-0 draw would be neutral, a score draw would be a positive, and a win would be great. Enough to say he deserves to stay? Not really. He could beat Portugal and I'd still be sceptical that it's a one-off. He needs a series of results to re-establish credibility now. He might get one - God knows he's due a bit of luck - but I wouldn't bet on it.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    A loss, draw or a poor winning performance against Andorra (friendly or not) should make his position absolutely untenable. It is only delaying the inevitable anyway.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    We drew against Slovakia btw. I thought it was a decent performance with probably the strongest team we've managed to have out under Kenny
    We did draw with them and played well, we also scored a world class goal against Serbia. But the overall package has been disaster. We were deservedly beaten by Luxembourg in Dublin. We are already out of the world cup. Two games and its Goodnight irene. That has never happened before in my lifetime

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Well that's fair enough, though I was replying to your suggestion that we lost to Slovakia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well that's fair enough, though I was replying to your suggestion that we lost to Slovakia
    TrapAPony's signature could be applied to the outcome there I think - "We lost because we didn't win".

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think it's worth playing just to remove the "Stephen Kenny, who's still looking for his first win as Republic of Ireland manager...." from the start of every news report.
    They'll just add "competitive" to that statement before the word win regardless of what happens next week. And to be fair he has had nine competitive games and he hasn't won any of them so it's fair enough to open every report with that line I think.

His managerial term has been an absolute disaster up to now.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Those still in the pro kenny camp are just desperate for a change in style of play, and are clinging onto the hope of hopes that kenny is that man to deliver it. There's been no suggestion thus far that he is the man, in fact its been completely the opposite. But if you have a fantasy and you feel that fantasy can play out, you'll go to the depths to make it seem plausible and likely. So whether theres really a belief in Kenny being able to do it, it doesnt really matter, the main thing is that its a route to the realisation of their fantasy.

I don't believe in the sake of playing youth/young players just for the sake of playing the younger players. We can replace A with B or B with C at the moment but A is just as ordinary as C. If all these caps were leading to someone standing out and gaining experience then I'd say ya, but there's really no one that has done that.

If he loses tonight, I still think he will manage to stay on, unless he decides himself that it really is too big a job and walks. I don't seem him being pushed or fired. If we win tonight or against Hungary next week I don't think it changes much. His start has been disastrous, people have even forgotten about the poor penalty display and what seems like a lack of preparation because things have only got more and more desperate since that game. The only way he can turn it around now is to see a win against Serbia and a draw against Portugal, its been so bad it has to get pretty good very quickly.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Who, specifically, has been arguing to play young players for the sake of playing young players and which older players, specifically, have been omitted for the sake of it?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No one did, you did mention 14 different players having played the last two games, or something to that effect. It has been suggested that he has brought a lot of youth through, and given many new caps, I'm saying that thats not necessarily of any real benefit as no one has stood out. The argument that suggests this has been a positive is not one I would agree with.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    He hasn't had a lot of choice in the matter. His hand has been forced time and again by a combination of Covid and injuries.

If i remember correctly, there were a few of us that were surprised with his first squad and how few new/young players were actually brought in. A gradual transition may have been his plan but it all changed rapidly for the reasons above. I think people don't give enough credence to the hand he has been dealt and how it might have impacted whatever plan he had.

I echo Charlies question though - I am not sure who these better, older players are that are being left out. Thats an important part of the equation that is being presented. I wanted McGeady in the squad for Serbia/Luxembourg but even that was marginal. I cant think of many other glaring omissions.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    OK so you don't agree with the argument that nobody has made. I think there was a bit of optimism maybe 18 months ago that some of the 21s were going to bash the door down and become top senior players right away, but I haven't really seen that continue as it's become obvious they're not matching those optimistic expectations.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Call me cynical (I've been called worse) but it strikes me that some of the younger prospects are not freally forcing their way into playing week in week out, and really driving their careers on.
    They are all probably on relatively decent money for sitting on the bench at their clubs in the uk. In days gone by we had the likes of Aldridge and Houghton playing for Oxford but really working hard to achieve something. There seems to be a handy career available money-wise in knocking about the lower reaches of english football.
    I woukd have started McGrath as he's bang in form and playing regularly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I echo Charlies question though - I am not sure who these better, older players are that are being left out.
    He went with a very green midfield vs Luxembourg, but the older alternatives were a mix of injured or badly off the boil. McClean, Hendrick, McCarthy, Hourihane, and Arter have all been discussed at length here, I think, with some people happy to put some or all of them out to pasture. I've argued that they're overrating the younger players and underrating the older ones, so this is not my opinion, but I've definitely read it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Harry Arter in paeans of praise for Kenny and his methods:

https://m.sundayworld.com/sport/socc...-40505915.html

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Harry Arter in paeans of praise for Kenny and his methods:

https://m.sundayworld.com/sport/socc...-40505915.html
    The love not so subtle dig at the previous management in there.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya it read a little bit like a PR exercise, one mainly for Harry Arter but if he's willing to be there end of a strange season then there must be some truth in how he feels.

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    OK so you don't agree with the argument that nobody has made. I think there was a bit of optimism maybe 18 months ago that some of the 21s were going to bash the door down and become top senior players right away, but I haven't really seen that continue as it's become obvious they're not matching those optimistic expectations.
    It was all downhill for those u21 starlets after they came a cropper against the doughty Icelanders.