162 Posts

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    results are not irrelevant. the last thing we need is to drop to 4th seeds. It would take a few good qualification campaigns to recover from that.
    We also need an international team that inspires kids to take up and stick with the game

I'm in shock with his mentality, he keeps on saying we were brilliant in Slovakia and Serbia, we got knocked out and beaten. The word brilliant should never be used in defeat. its very worrying

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    top goalscorer during those 4 years of competitive games, Shane Duffy with 4, followed by Daryl Murphy with 2

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Or as I saw elsewhere the game was decided when a Dynamo Kiev striker beat a Rochdale goalkeeper.
    He's played 583 minutes this season for Kyiv. equivilant to 6.5 out of 19 games, and scored twice for them. He's hardly what you would call an in-form striker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I was advocating getting rid of SK in the immediate aftermath of the Luxembourg game because I was angry and frustrated. I realise now there's no point in trying to replace him - at least he will give game time to younger players, and with results now irrelevant he may aswell crack on with whatever it is he is trying to do.

Inevitably by law of averages and experience of playing the same style we'll win one or two games.
    I doubt it was fluke that we are lined up to face Andorra in the summer. FAI desperately trying to get a win for Kenny.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    To give a bit of context to the claim SK makes that we played brilliantly in Slovakia (we didn't, and they were awful) they have drawn their opening two games, in Cyprus and home to Malta.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

At one point - I'd say up to Wales away (England was pointless) there were some good signs. Some good bits in Belgrade too. But when it really mattered it was as rubbish as anything his predecessors threw up. Remember Iceland at home too under O 'Neill. This wasn't the first rubbish performance in the last few years.
    Now now have some mercy on MO'N , Iceland were a much higher ranked team than Ireland at that time and 2nd seeds in WC qual as opposed to Ireland's 4th seed. Even if was just the Iceland B team that took the field, there was a serious gulf in class.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    The poor man just looks lost out there. Needs to be put out of his misery before the summer in my opinion. It won't happen of course, but it's just a case of delaying the inevitable until the autumn to save a few quid on a replacement.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I think it only makes sense to give SK this training camp and one more round of qualifiers at least.

Most of our failings long pre date him and whilst the Luxembourg performance was inexcusable in a more general sense he hasn’t been able to call on the squad he wants and has been forced to bring in a ridiculous number of inexperienced players.

There is no sense acting now. A training camp with a full compliment and now settled coaching team hopefully in June and go from there.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I think it only makes sense to give SK this training camp and one more round of qualifiers at least.

Most of our failings long pre date him and whilst the Luxembourg performance was inexcusable in a more general sense he hasn’t been able to call on the squad he wants and has been forced to bring in a ridiculous number of inexperienced players.

There is no sense acting now. A training camp with a full compliment and now settled coaching team hopefully in June and go from there.
    The only place we are going under Kenny is down the seeding pots, making it harder when a proper manager comes in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    The only place we are going under Kenny is down the seeding pots, making it harder when a proper manager comes in.
    I don’t buy this narrative. Looking at pots 2-5, I wouldn’t care what teams were in our group apart from Turkey and Poland.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think it would be daft to get rid of Kenny this quickly but he seriously needs to control his interviews a bit better. Both pre-match and post-match last night were kind of hard to watch, talking about Luxembourg not deserving their win beforehand and the 'people coming out of the woodwork' stuff was a little surreal afterwards. Reciting his (low level) CV as if he's Jose Mourihno took the biscuit though, it's only giving people sticks to beat him with. He came across desperate and stressed rather than in control imo.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Yeah, if he thinks Luxembourg didn't deserve that win, we didn't watch the same game. A draw would have been fair enough, but they definitely shaded it. Luxembourg ****ing shaded it against us. He can bluster all he likes, but he should be deeply ashamed of that performance.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    I don’t buy this narrative. Looking at pots 2-5, I wouldn’t care what teams were in our group apart from Turkey and Poland.
    I'm not selling a narrative. You wouldn't be worried about Switzerland, Wales, Sweden, Austria, Ukraine, Serbia, Slovakia or Romania when we can't even scrape a draw with Luxembourg at home??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    I'm not selling a narrative. You wouldn't be worried about Switzerland, Wales, Sweden, Austria, Ukraine, Serbia, Slovakia or Romania when we can't even scrape a draw with Luxembourg at home??
    Never, all very average teams that can be beaten by the next campaign no matter what pot we are in.
    It's only in our psyche to be fearful of the teams in the pots below us
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I'm in shock with his mentality, he keeps on saying we were brilliant in Slovakia and Serbia, we got knocked out and beaten. The word brilliant should never be used in defeat. its very worrying
    Slovakia was pennos, fair enough.

But saying we were brilliant in Serbia is indeed something that Roy Keane or Paul McGrath or Johnny Giles would never have tolerated. Especially when you always knew Serbia had another goal in them if they needed it.

I can't help but think that this kind of loser mentality is filtering through to the players.

I want us to play good football. I hate hoofball. But to play good football you have to want it, and you have to have the mentality that you are going to go out there and win. That's how we played so well when Keane was captain. We were never afraid to pass the ball and we were never afraid of the opposition.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    he said it again after the Qatar match. its utterly unacceptable to say we were brilliant v Serbia......WE LOST!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    i would leave him for the rest of the campaign regardless of results and then judge the entire as a body of work.
    We are not going to qualify anyway and if you look at an entire campaign for signs of progress and development it is a fair judgement.
    Right now he can claim bad luck injuries etc etc with some justification to be fair.......a full campaign with no improvement or REAL signs of progress and its time to pull the plug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    To give a bit of context to the claim SK makes that we played brilliantly in Slovakia (we didn't, and they were awful) they have drawn their opening two games, in Cyprus and home to Malta.
    Slovakia went onto qualify for the Euros - beating NI 2-1 in Windsor park and Beat Russia at home last night. I'm not saying its great we lost or anything but when providing context, provide full context.

28. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Slovakia went onto qualify for the Euros - beating NI 2-1 in Windsor park and Beat Russia at home last night. I'm not saying its great we lost or anything but when providing context, provide full context.
    In fairness I posted that before they beat Russia. Not too easy to add context for future events. I still think they played badly against us in Slovakia but anyway, largely irrelevant now.

30. Thanks From: