Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 34 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Interesting that his Wales salary was about the same as Kenny's, if not slightly less

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ion%20a%20year.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Coleman referred to us as a British Team. He can f@€k off!

Give Kenny til the rest of the campaign. Let him try and forge his game. Might as well. We’ve had enough chopping and changing. No manager will be our saviour for a while I fear

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Coleman referred to us as a British Team. He can f@€k off!

Give Kenny til the rest of the campaign. Let him try and forge his game. Might as well. We’ve had enough chopping and changing. No manager will be our saviour for a while I fear
    I tend to agree. Very disappointed with how its gone so far but we have a young squad thats short of confidence. I am not hopeful but I would at least give Kenny most of the WC campaign. We are out now, so it makes no difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I hear Chris Coleman's name being mentioned as an eventual replacement.

Wouldn't be the worst appointment. At least he's played and managed at the highest level.
    Your head tell you that? A failed manager at every level apart from international level, with two world class players in Ramsey and Bale at the time.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Your head tell you that? A failed manager at every level apart from international level, with two world class players in Ramsey and Bale at the time.
    So you think the Kenny regime should be allowed to limp on indefinitely? We are well on course to finish bottom of our group, behind Luxembourg.

Just how could Coleman, who brought the smaller nation of Wales to the semi-finals of the European Championships, fare any worse, exactly?

He'd at least have a notion of what he was doing.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 27/03/2021 at 11:01 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So you think the Kenny regime should be allowed to limp on indefinitely? We are well on course to finish bottom of our group, behind Luxembourg.
    So Azerbaijan don't exist now?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    886 Posts
    No they definitely exist alright, but there is a genuinely a reasonable chance that we finish behind them too I think. I watched them in a game against Wales in the last campaign. They weren't terrible by any means.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...ned-about-job/
    And when asked whether he was concerned about his position as national team manager, Kenny said that it was not a concern.
    "That’s not even in question," said Kenny, speaking to RTÉ Sport. "I’m not even concerned with that at the minute. I’m concerned that we had a really, really poor result tonight, that none of us are happy with that."

Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    No they definitely exist alright, but there is a genuinely a reasonable chance that we finish behind them too I think. I watched them in a game against Wales in the last campaign. They weren't terrible by any means.
    Azerbaijan are much the same strength as Luxembourg. https://eloratings.net/ has them 103rd and 108th in the world.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Kenny should go. I had major reservations giving him the job at the beginning as I thought the players wouldn't respect him. He is clearly not up to managing the national team but then again that is not a big surprise as his level has always been that of a LOI manager only (aside from his Dunfermline sacking).

However, it is only going to get worse from here as I don't see us achieving a victory over any team in the group. I'd rather we get rid of him now instead of wasting the rest of the world cup campaign on him.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Kenny should go. I had major reservations giving him the job at the beginning as I thought the players wouldn't respect him. He is clearly not up to managing the national team but then again that is not a big surprise as his level has always been that of a LOI manager only (aside from his Dunfermline sacking).

However, it is only going to get worse from here as I don't see us achieving a victory over any team in the group. I'd rather we get rid of him now instead of wasting the rest of the world cup campaign on him.
    The FAI should have a quite word with say 5 Senior Players and ask them if they can see a squad of senior Irish internationals playing respectfully for Kenny after this. If the players won’t / don’t want to play for Kenny ~ ~ What is the Point of going on with this ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Did he resign?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Think he should get this campaign and the next euros. Was disappointed to see him walk off without embracing each player as they came off last night. It's easy do that on the good nights but its nights Like last night you really need that show of togetherness I think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    The FAI should have a quite word with say 5 Senior Players and ask them if they can see a squad of senior Irish internationals playing respectfully for Kenny after this. If the players won’t / don’t want to play for Kenny ~ ~ What is the Point of going on with this ?
    No they shouldn’t. Talk about undermining your senior manager.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Doesnt matter who the manager is,any player who wont/dont want to play for his country should be told to F..enjoy the rest of your club career.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Think he should get this campaign and the next euros. Was disappointed to see him walk off without embracing each player as they came off last night. It's easy do that on the good nights but its nights Like last night you really need that show of togetherness I think
    Under any circumstances? Even if we finish bottom of the group? Our FIFA/UEFA ranking is being destroyed by Kenny. I pity his successor once Euro qualification comes round.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    I think he got away without major criticism v Bulgaria at home. Bulgaria are a terrible team and we needed to win it for seedlings. I'm not sure why people are ignoring the facts. We haven't won a game in ten under this man. We've just been beaten iby Luxembourg in Dublin. We have scored 3 goals n total.
    I thought his post match interview was harrowing if I'm honest. He has nowhere near the authority to be an international manager. Let's be honest we have better players then Luxembourg, so why bring the FAI and all their unprofessional influence into this. Maybe one day we will play nice football and win games, but it wont be under kenny.. btw how many of trap, mon, or micks senoir staff quit mid campaign ? None I I guess. Kenny has had two. I'm sorry but he is not our guy

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Under any circumstances? Even if we finish bottom of the group? Our FIFA/UEFA ranking is being destroyed by Kenny. I pity his successor once Euro qualification comes round.
    If he gets this campaign and then the euros he will have been in charge for I guess close to 40 games. That is a fair go at it and if that is not going well then it is very reasonable to let him go. He will also be contributing to the underage sides and general development structures over that period.

He needs to show more initiative. Ni variety or hint of invention on free kicks or corners is very disappointing even Luxembourg had a few training ground dead ball routines. He also needs to show an ability to play possesion based football in a way that suits our players skills. How many times did we pass short to Clark last night who then when short to Steven's who was tight to the touchline and double marked and then lost the ball. There seemed to be no strategy to work through the lines to get out cause sure as hell going wide to your left sided centre half and then wide again to your marked left full stuck to the line is not going to be successful

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    Doesnt matter who the manager is,any player who wont/dont want to play for his country should be told to F..enjoy the rest of your club career.
    We don’t have enough Players to discard them all if they do not feel Stephen Kenny is up to the Job ~ ~ That is the way it is whether we like it or not.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    If he gets this campaign and then the euros he will have been in charge for I guess close to 40 games. That is a fair go at it and if that is not going well then it is very reasonable to let him go. He will also be contributing to the underage sides and general development structures over that period.

He needs to show more initiative. Ni variety or hint of invention on free kicks or corners is very disappointing even Luxembourg had a few training ground dead ball routines. He also needs to show an ability to play possesion based football in a way that suits our players skills. How many times did we pass short to Clark last night who then when short to Steven's who was tight to the touchline and double marked and then lost the ball. There seemed to be no strategy to work through the lines to get out cause sure as hell going wide to your left sided centre half and then wide again to your marked left full stuck to the line is not going to be successful
    We play such contained, passive football under Kenny, hence the lack of goals. And we're so easily got at.

We're far too easy to play against. No-one fears playing us any more.

Some people like making comparisons between Kenny and Michael O'Neill. But this is a false paradigm - O'Neill is tactically astute and played pragmatic football - he knew NI's limitations. There's little to no sign of this under Kenny, who is trying to compete with technically superior sides on their own terms.

Further, Kenny will never manage a team at Championship level, like Stoke, as O'Neill is doing. He simply isn't good enough.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 28/03/2021 at 11:17 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    We play such contained, passive football under Kenny, hence the lack of goals. And we're so easily got at.

We're far too easy to play against. No-one fears playing us any more.

Some people like making comparisons between Kenny and Michael O'Neill. But this is a false paradigm - O'Neill is tactically astute and played pragmatic football - he knew NI's limitations. There's little to no sign of this under Kenny, who is trying to compete with technically superior sides on their own terms.

Further, Kenny will never manage a team at Championship level, like Stoke, as O'Neill is doing. He simply isn't good enough.
    Was it last season on the season before that Michael O’Neill basically saved Stoke from relegation ? They are 11th now which is pretty good considering the situation Michael O’Neill inherited. Michael O’Neill’s Northern Ireland record ( long term after an admittedly rocky start ) and his Stoke record is well above anything Stephen Kenny has achieved.

Can Stephen Kenny do what Michael O’Neill did with Northern Ireland ?