Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 177 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I see the scumbag Kelvin MacKenzie is on his high horse already.
    This is a major u-turn in the space of 24 hours, but **** it. If that **** MacKenzie wants him sacked, I'm joining the #KennyIn camp. No way we give Murdoch's tan handpuppet a head.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 20/11/2020 at 1:14 AM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

2. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I'm less worried about the political correctness and more worried that Kenny thinks showing In The Name of the Father is in some way going to help his team achieve a result against the English. Next time he should send somebody other than James McClean to Xtravision when he's looking to organise a movie night for the squad.

The more I see and hear about Kenny the more he appears to be out of his depth. I hear Escape to Victory is loaded into the VCR on the off chance we get drawn against Germany for the World Cup.
    Great remark!! There was an irish player Ossie and Pele plus Caine Max V.S and Stallone!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Here in Southamerica is very usual, politics remarks and videos, or clips to "motivate" in the end it is always 11vs11.

Here with this we have 2 scenarios

1) The english new CEO is angry because of this leaked situation about politics and football is not morally and ethical correct etc
    2)They are using this situation to get rid of S.K because they didnt choose him

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think showing a motivational video is more common than you might think. I know when UCD played Slovan Bratislava in the Europa League for example, it's exactly what the manager did. (When we played Dudelange, he used all the social media comments as motivation instead). You wouldn't do it for every league game of course, but for a big game, I don't see the issue. Ultimately these are guys who've gone through the various coaching badges and I would say it's an idea recommended there too.

(I agree with you that Bielsa is talking ****e though)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/11/2020 at 8:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Since the story broke last night, it has devolved from anti-English political message to a three minute video featuring clips from previous games, and some details from the Easter rising.
    It sounds like it was only one member of staff, who is English-born, that was offended by it. No player has made a statement yet.
    The bigger story is why it was leaked in the first page, and to the Daily Mail, of all papers.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I see the second most read football article on the Guardian today is a report on this. Headline refers to the "anti-English" nature of the video. https://www.theguardian.com/football...-english-video

This episode is painful in many ways and doesn't help anyone in the FAI or the team.
    1) It's a shame with everything going on in the world that we have created a sh*tstorm which serves to augment any negative opinions held in England about us as a people;
    2) There must be a lot of people involved in pushing this story. It has taken over a week for this to go from the dressing room to the boardroom;
    3) A video about Anglo-Irish relations would be inherently anti-English. That is the inevitable result of colonialism. I would be interested to understand how it has been interpreted as anti-English by some genius somewhere- presenting a set of historic facts would be sufficient to rouse most Irishmen and it would have to take a fairly aggressive narrative or tone on that fact set for the message to move the video towards being offensive.

9. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    It sounds like it may have been a naive decision rather than a malicious one. From a motivation perspective, I wouldn't do it personally, but I don't have an inherent issue with something like this being used in a team-talk (assuming it wasn't excessively political). But there are a few questions:

- Would political stuff really motivate players?
    - Do the players need motivation for a match vs England?
    - Did Kenny not think, "Humm this could backfire if we lose"?
    - Would it not have been better to show technical videos showing weaknesses within the English team and how we might exploit them (e.g. poor defence out wide etc, keeper's off form in terms of saving long shots)?
    - If this is Kenny's motivational strategy how would it work against non-UK teams? It's a bit one dimensional. What could he show for other opponents? Henry's handball if we play France? A video of Cascarino getting attacked on the pitch in Bursa if we play Turkey?

If it was a very political video then I think it may have been unwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    1) It's a shame with everything going on in the world that we have created a sh*tstorm which serves to augment any negative opinions held in England about us as a people;
    Have we created a ****storm?

Or have the English media created it?

Look at yer man MacKenzie on Twitter for example - that's him creating it.

Why doesn't the Guardian mention what RTÉ reports - that of a 3-minute video, there was 2½ minutes of goals from previous Ireland v England games, and 30 seconds of "historical context". That's not, as you say, "a video about Anglo-Irish relations". It's a world apart. It could be 30 seconds of "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace" - harmless stuff which would just get a bit of a gee-up going.

I agree with you though that history can't really be offensive. It is stuff that actually happened.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    - Do the players need motivation for a match vs England?
    Why not? Every extra bit helps surely?

- Did Kenny not think, "Humm this could backfire if we lose"?
    You'd never get anything done if you spent the whole time wondering about what someone was going to be offended by.

- Would it not have been better to show technical videos showing weaknesses within the English team and how we might exploit them (e.g. poor defence out wide etc, keeper's off form in terms of saving long shots)?
    Why can't you show both? But I can well imagine you finish prep off with something light - one final team-bonding session before heading for the dressing room. Rebel songs on the bus to Stuttgart, or a shout of "We'll do them for yiz today" That's not the time for heavy tactical analysis (which will be recapped in the dressing room)

- If this is Kenny's motivational strategy how would it work against non-UK teams? It's a bit one dimensional. What could he show for other opponents? Henry's handball if we play France? A video of Cascarino getting attacked on the pitch in Bursa if we play Turkey?
    The Henry handball would be a great one to show before a game against France I think. As I put in the WC qualifying thread (and the topic has seeped into two threads, but best keep it here I think), when UCD played Dudelange in the Europa League, there was print-outs of the various negative social media against UCD in the lead-up to the match. Before the Slovan game, there was a motivational video featuring the players' best contributions during the season (to show them they had earned the right to play against Slovan and shouldn't be overawed by them). This sort of stuff can take many forms. Against the old enemy, then the goals from previous matches sounds perfect, and 30 seconds of "800 years, etc" sounds a fairly harmless addition at the end.

If the English are that offended by history, they probably shouldn't have made it.

(All subject of course to what was actually on the video)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/11/2020 at 10:14 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    The English started it ! Why didn’t they just stay in England ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Since the story broke last night, it has devolved from anti-English political message to a three minute video featuring clips from previous games, and some details from the Easter rising.
    It sounds like it was only one member of staff, who is English-born, that was offended by it. No player has made a statement yet.
    The bigger story is why it was leaked in the first page, and to the Daily Mail, of all papers.
    Much ado about nothing ~ ~ who ever leaked this should be sacked ~ ~ Is it just a ploy to undermine Kenny ?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    My favourite take on this is from those giving Kenny abuse for doing this 'motivational video' for a meaningless/bounce game against England are the same ones shouting loudest at the 3 -0 defeat and performance.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    My favourite take on this is from those giving Kenny abuse for doing this 'motivational video' for a meaningless/bounce game against England are the same ones shouting loudest at the 3 -0 defeat and performance.
    I thought the performance v England (and most of our performances under Kenny to be fair) was woeful but this is a non-story. I expect it will all blow over by the weekend.

Seems to me 99% of people either have no issue with the video or think it was a bit amateurish at worst.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I have no inherent objections to such things being used as a motivator, as long is there is no straying over into territory we might call "inciting hatred". If pitched right I'm sure they can be useful. It's just it was a friendly in an empty stadium against the England B-team. For that reason I would think a bit much, even, at the risk of sounding harsh, a little pathetic, to be referencing such things ahead of such a match. If it was a do-or-die qualifier or a tournament match, that would be something else.

We're kind of unable to say more of use without knowing exactly what that 30 seconds is, I see all sorts of claims flying around (I'm seeing 1916 referenced a lot, but no concrete details). But if it is, as some think, some reference to England's historical record in Ireland, well, the truth can hurt. Stuff happened. If the English are displeased about it being brought up, well, imagine how the Irish felt at the time.

I mean, we've all experienced/heard stories about crazy things being said in dressing rooms as motivation. It should stay there. For it to be leaked like this is disquieting. "Lost the dressing room" talk isn't far away, and that's a death knell.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

Why exactly is this a shame and how exactly is it anything to do with us ?

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Why exactly is this a shame and how exactly is it anything to do with us ?
    It's needless. Who does it serve?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Have we created a ****storm?

Or have the English media created it?

Look at yer man MacKenzie on Twitter for example - that's him creating it.

Why doesn't the Guardian mention what RTÉ reports - that of a 3-minute video, there was 2½ minutes of goals from previous Ireland v England games, and 30 seconds of "historical context". That's not, as you say, "a video about Anglo-Irish relations". It's a world apart. It could be 30 seconds of "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace" - harmless stuff which would just get a bit of a gee-up going.

I agree with you though that history can't really be offensive. It is stuff that actually happened.
    I agree with all your points. I am just a little disappointed that the FAI couldn't deal with it in-house instead of creating the story by issuing a statement and RTE being able to run with it. It's low-hanging fruit for the British media and even the Irish media.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well it seems it was the Daily Mail who broke the story, presumably because someone leaked it to them. Once that had happened, the FAI couldn't keep it in-house. (And I'm assuming it wasn't someone in the FAI who leaked it of course)

30. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You'd never get anything done if you spent the whole time wondering about what someone was going to be offended by.
    The issue isn't necessarily that someone is going to be offended by it. It's more that it was a potentially naive and ultimately ineffective approach. Stephen Kenny lacks significant high level experience in management, he has looked out of his depth, the idea of showing a political video was risky (other members of the management team apparently tried to dissuade him). Doherty alluded to the players lacking motivation in a post match interview, so the video doesn't seem to have worked. The whole incident looks like it is re-enforcing the idea of an amateurish management approach, making bad decision after bad decision.

Why can't you show both? But I can well imagine you finish prep off with something light - one final team-bonding session before heading for the dressing room.
    For me the tactical stuff, the strengths and weaknesses of our own team, the analysis of the style of play of opposition should come first. If that has all been done and the players are fully attuned to the tactical side, and then, and only then, the manager wants to show what sounds like a Mike Bassett-esque tub-thumping video then OK.

The Henry handball would be a great one to show before a game against France I think.
    Agree, as perhaps can be gleaned from my signature. I think a brief mention of this is ok, as it points out a few things (1) we more than matched a world class team away from home relatively recently, (2) we were good enough to have qualified for the world cup, (3) dubious behaviour *on the pitch* by a French player prevented us from reaching the world cup (4) it's not a point about wider political history.

But one problem with this approach is it is only possible versus a handful of teams against whom we have experienced similar issues. What other teams could you do something similar for? Maybe Wales over the Coleman tackle? It doesn't work for that many opponents as there isn't too much on-field history.

When UCD played Dudelange in the Europa League, there was print-outs of the various negative social media against UCD in the lead-up to the match.
    I think that's a bit different to this England video. The UCD approach is essentially, "These people don't think you're good enough, prove them wrong". UCD weren't deconstructing Luxembourgish history to motivate the players.

Before the Slovan game, there was a motivational video featuring the players' best contributions during the season (to show them they had earned the right to play against Slovan and shouldn't be overawed by them).
    Again that is different, it's positive self-based motivation. It doesn't reference anything about the opposition (or political/historical stuff about Slovakia). Arguably it's tactical as well, showing what the players did well, what tactics were most effective etc. I think it would be a sensible and rational approach for any coach to do this.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Kenny showing the video was unwise and counter-productive, but I reckon probably inoffensive.
    What's more alarming is the jingoistic, old-school anti-Englishness which is evident on this thread, even from some posters who I thought would know better. I'd really thought we'd gone beyond that. Very depressing.