Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 177 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Anyone see Prime Time? What I am hearing (I didn’t see it) is same as OTB: no players objected. But PT saying one FAI official is the one unhappy with it.

Now, my instinctive reaction is that the new CEO is English.

Maybe he’s already seeking a constructive dismissal exit!

Exit: sorry didn’t see CJ’s post, suggesting it wasn’t an FAI board member.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Cromwell would have to get his section ! !
    A republican that everyone can get behind!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    A republican that everyone can get behind!
    An anti-monarchist revolutionary. What’s not to like?

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    People saying this is nothing are definitely the same people castigating English born lads opting for England after playing in our system. This nonsense needs to stop. We have a proud history of welcoming dual nationals and have a large Irish dispora in England. We're bigger than this. You can be a proud Englishman and Irishman.

That's silly, its a non story. I have zero problem with what Rice and Grealish did, at the end of the day its their choice and you have to respect them for that. There are bigger things to be worried about than faux outrage over songs.

The bigger issue here is how Kenny thought this would gee up the players. Is this something he has done in the past with Dundalk, a rousing Corrs special before one of the European games?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    We don’t like Grass’s in Ireland. Was it on the RTE Website where it said that it was a 2 and a half minute video ~ the first two minutes previous Irish Goals against England and then a bit of Motivation Historical Stuff ~ ~ Rte did not explain further but perhaps it was Tiocfaidh Ár Lá ~ that last bit is my own guess ~ just a guess !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Is this something he has done in the past with Dundalk, a rousing Corrs special before one of the European games?
    If it was the video to Runaway he played that would explain a lot.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 19/11/2020 at 10:54 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    An anti-monarchist revolutionary. What’s not to like?
    In fairness he and some more had the balls to kill a King ( who probably deserved it ) when not many would have had the balls to kill a king in those days.

He’ll have to do Cromwell for the next game now !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyone see Prime Time? What I am hearing (I didn’t see it) is same as OTB: no players objected. But PT saying one FAI official is the one unhappy with it.

Now, my instinctive reaction is that the new CEO is English.

Maybe he’s already seeking a constructive dismissal exit!

Exit: sorry didn’t see CJ’s post, suggesting it wasn’t an FAI board member.
    Being Prime Time, I'll still have to wait for it to be distilled down and remove the Helen Lovejoy, I mean Miriam O'Callaghan stench from it.

We all know it was probably one of our Asthmatic coaches right?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Do you want to try that again?
    You mean that missing bit where Mick did a Robert the Bruce impression and finally prevailed after 2 failures to qualify?

Take it easy Bonnie, 5 posts in a row after a hiatus longer than a Trapatoni era hoof ??
    Last edited by geysir; 19/11/2020 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    If it was the video to Runaway he played that would explain a lot.
    The lyrics of that song are really an ode to supporting the Irish team in spite of our better sense:

Quote Originally Posted by The Corrs, Runaway
    Say it's true, there's nothing like me and you
    Not alone, tell me you feel it too
    And I would runaway
    I would runaway, yeah
    I would runaway
    I would runaway with you
    'Cause I have fallen in love
    With you, no never have
    I'm never gonna stop falling in love, with you

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Sure there are Woke-ers around now that would expect Kenny to play ~ “ God Save the Queen " to the Irish team !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You mean that missing bit where Mick did a Robert the Bruce impression and finally prevailed after 3 failures to qualify?

Take it easy Bonnie, 5 posts in a row after a hiatus longer than a Trapatoni era hoof ??
    Not quite. But I guess we could send Weldoninho to Rathlin to make him think about what he's done. It would spare us the anti-Kenny schtick for a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Sure there are Woke-ers around now that would expect Kenny to play ~ “ God Save the Queen " to the Irish team !
    The recent and nauseating need to show "how grown up we are" the last few years is well, nauseating.

Much like this post's construction.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Stephen Kenny is an innocent maauun.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    An appraisal of the Kenny era thus far:

Positives:

We've attempted to keep the ball on the floor and play a bit more football - and, to our credit, our players have shown themselves as being a deal more capable of passing the ball to one another over 5 yards than previous regimes have suggested possible.

Kenny was reluctant to bring him in, but Dara O'Shea has shown himself to be a very useful and capable find, with an ability to play across the backline. A very welcome addition.

Again Kenny's arm had to be forced but, beyond O'Shea, we've brought in a number of very promising looking players such as Knight and Byrne, giving genuine hope for the future.

Negatives:

No wins in 8 matches. No goals in 11 hours. No shots on target in our last match, at home against an extremely poor Bulgaria side.

We look extremely shaky at the back, with our previous defensive solidity now seemingly a thing of the past. Asking players unsuited to playing out from the back such as Randolph and Duffy to do so, even when we're being pressed, seems foolhardy.

Doherty's comments about players 'giving up' are very troubling. Even in our very worst moments under previous managers you'd at least expect our players to give their all.

Kenny's investment in the tried and failed. Players like Horgan, not good enough for the Scottish Premiership let alone the English Championship, is disquieting. He isn't and will never be good enough.

We are too easy to play against. Predictable, passive, ponderous and wholly lacking in aggression and urgency.

We offer no goal threat with seemingly no offensive plan and no attacking conviction whatever. And the statistics obviously bear this out.

Our set-pieces have been poor. No quick throw-in, free-kicks or corners, and no imagination. It seems these haven't been worked on at all - criminal, particularly given our powder-puff attack.

Kenny's apparent personal dislike of certain players like Obafemi and Byrne is hurting us.

The Ill-thought-through 'political' video shown before the pointless England friendly that has seemingly upset and alienated a number of players and members of the coaching staff seems, on the face of it, to be a serious error of judgement.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 19/11/2020 at 11:08 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    RTÉ puts a bit more flesh on the video itself -

RTÉ Sport understands that two-and-a-half minutes of the video was famous goals scored against England, from Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Niall Quinn, Tony Cascarino and Shane Long, followed by 30 seconds of "historical context" of the relationship between Ireland and England
    The first part is exactly what I'd expect to have seen. Then the offending part seems to be a 30-second clip. That could be a speech scene from Michael Collins or something similar. I can understand that being reasonable in the context. The Indo article makes it sound like they all sat down and watched the whole film, which would be silly.

I'd be less inclined to be bothered about a 30-second clip tbh (acknowledging that I don't know what it was - but how bad can it have been?)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    The lyrics of that song are really an ode to supporting the Irish team in spite of our better sense:
    Gee, Bonnie, I never had you pegged as a devotee of Celtic fusion. It's all coming out in the wash tonight!

Mind you, they used to say the definition of a music lover was a man who put his ear to the keyhole when he heard one of the Corr sisters singing in the shower.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    RTÉ puts a bit more flesh on the video itself -

The first part is exactly what I'd expect to have seen. Then the offending part seems to be a 30-second clip. That could be a speech scene from Michael Collins or something similar. I can understand that being reasonable in the context. The Indo article makes it sound like they all sat down and watched the whole film, which would be silly.

I'd be less inclined to be bothered about a 30-second clip tbh (acknowledging that I don't know what it was - but how bad can it have been?)
    Bar going over to London to be suckered in to signing that Treaty, Michael Collins was a great fella altogether. Sure they made a film about him and everything.

Sure even the Brits were upset when Michael Collins got whacked !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    In response to yourself Trequartista20

Some good points but I'd offer a few different takes. Not sure why I'm defending Kenny but I just think we are too early here make too many clear judgements.

>Obafemi isn't getting a game anywhere at the minute (was even on the bench for the 21s) and could do with learning a lesson after his petulant little tweet.

>Doherty has plenty of form going to the media with his gripes so I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says yet. I don't see a lack of effort, just a lack of cohesion and composure.

>We can't score because we have no striker - we've created chances but haven't stuck them away.

>Hard to practice set pieces when your team changes every matchday and you're limited in the time you can spend with them. Dundalk were well drilled in set pieces and scored plenty.

>Horgan probably wouldn't be involved if not for the missing players. As it is, with covid making it a risk to go too far afield perhaps, I'd say Kenny just wanted to stick to players he knew who were close by and it was a bonus if he knew them well. Horgan did as well as anyone else to be fair to him but he will be dropped when Robinson/O'Dowda/Connolly/Hendrick etc are all available.

>We look shaky at the back with Duffy for sure but we still aren't conceding much outside of the England game. It's the other end I'd be more worried about and we aren't working with our first choice backline at all. Not even close to it.

>Not sure what to make of the video but as I said above, if the leaker is who the Independent suggest, then he has form and should be the one removed.

But really, why the are the FAI investigating this and not Delaney?
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 19/11/2020 at 11:24 PM.

28. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    3 minutes long? I hope Kenny played the Alan Partridge video

30. Thanks From: