Page 136 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 3539

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    "Our best Nations League campaign" is not a ringing endorsement in fairness. The last ten minutes against Armenia we lost all composure when a goal for them would have meant relegation. Armenia were not a good side (as evidenced by Scotland/Ukraine thumping them)

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    924 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    "Our best Nations League campaign" is not a ringing endorsement in fairness. The last ten minutes against Armenia we lost all composure when a goal for them would have meant relegation. Armenia were not a good side (as evidenced by Scotland/Ukraine thumping them)
    We were crap at times, but we also were very good at home to Scotland and in the "away" game to Ukraine. I did also say that it shows how bad we have been when that was our best, but its in response to a poster who seems to think that we were good under previous managers recently.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    So ask yourself this. Why did fans want Kerr to leave and not Kenny?

The team Kerr had was infinitely superior to what Kenny has. Do you not think that the reason for the difference on why fans were happy to give Kenny more time compared to Kerr is because most are aware of the massive rebuild job that was needed. I know you dont agree with the rebuilding narrative, but that doesnt make you right. The vast majority of match going fans do think that way and we have seen a virtual full u21 team come into the seniors in last couple years. I think your idea that its a media driven popularity for Kenny is utter boll!x and fans who go to games are well capable of making up their own mind.

Just to pick up on one thing you said there about Kenny having 2 poor Nations League campaigns.... I think Im right in saying the last one was our best ever under any manager? It shows how crap we have actually been, but we actually scored goals and performed pretty well in some games which is more than we ever did before. I dont know if thats a sign of things improving over all or not, and well find out pretty soon if any progress has been made.

I do suspect that this qualifying has come 2 years too soon for the bunch of players we have coming through and in the squad now so I think that it'll be a different manager in charge when the next world cup qualifying comes around. I do know that the fans will be out in force in a couple of weeks time and if we happen to get a result against France Kenny name will be sang loudly.
    Well it wasn't a rebuild. The teams he picked are there for all to see. It takes opinion out of it. There was no talk of building for 2024 until after the Luxembourg defeat. The media ran with it and the influence of the media in how fans react can't be underestimated. For a couple of decades, many supporters got their opinions off Giles or Dunphy.

I don't know if you're being serious with the Nation's League thing? "I think Im right in saying the last one was our best ever under any manager?". Haven't we only had 3 Nations League campaigns? And Kenny was in charge for 2 of them. The other one was when O Neill had lost the dressing room and then got sacked. Honestly, sometimes you just have to laugh at the defence put up for Kenny.

We have a really good mix of youth and experience in the squad, as we've had for the last 2 years. I think they've been let down badly by poor management but I'll be roaring them on against France. Some people forget that the players are the priority, not a manager you've backed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    I think Dunphy's retirement has helped Kenny. He'd be laying into him on TV every match (like he laid into far better) and it'd tilt the discussion a bit. The current crop are very civilised in comparison.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Tets, while I don't disagree with the contention that fans are not turning up in consistent numbers because of Kenny, but perhaps a better point is that fans are not staying away because of Kenny either - which has happened under every manager since Mick V1.0 towards the end of their tenures, which probably accelerated their removals along with crowd reactions. While a lot of fans may complain about results there has not been anything like the booing that could be heard towards the end of Trap and MoN.
    I know, and I wasn't saying that there was anything like what was heard under the previous two managers, just noting that at the end of the last two games, there was audible booing, which I haven't heard at any game under Kenny so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I dont know the stats off the top of my head, Tets maybe you can help, but theres something about us now scoring a lot more goals under Kenny than in previous years, maybe it was in Nations League or something?
    not sure exactly what you're looking for
    Here's the goals scored since 2010
    Year Games Goals Goals per Game
    2010 9 13 1.44
    2011 14 26 1.86
    2012 12 14 1.17
    2013 14 19 1.36
    2014 11 20 1.82
    2015 9 12 1.33
    2016 13 19 1.46
    2017 11 10 0.91
    2018 9 4 0.44
    2019 10 13 1.30
    2020 8 1 0.13
    2021 12 20 1.67
    2022 10 13 1.30
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 07/03/2023 at 7:18 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Only one game in the last 12 months has been near sold out

Also, there was audible booing at the end of the last two games

Isn't the point of debate to do exactly that?

It's not wanting rid of him for "only winning a game 3-2", it's for needing a last minute penalty to win a game 3-2 at home, after leading 2-0 with twenty minutes to go against a team that had only scored twice in their last five competitive games(none away from home), and had conceded five goals three days earlier without reply
    It's not wanting rid of him because "he made a sub in a friendly his team won", it's because he left a promising player on the bench, wasting an excellent opportunity to give him his first cap to give an established player his 77th

The team in second also qualifies for the finals. If France win their first two games, we'll be three points behind the Netherlands, assuming they beat Gibraltar in their second game, leaving us three points behind qualification, with a game in hand.
    I know what the criteria is, thanks. I also know that all those teams will have a game in hand on us on the last night, and that will be decisive if it comes down to it.

It really doesn't matter whether he made subs in Malta or scored in the last minute against Armenia. The demand was that we win the game. We won the game, so that is the end of the discussion. Or should have been.

Crowds have been very high for a manager that apparantly, the majority think was a mistake. I didn't hear any booing at the Armenia game. What I did hear after the game, was singing and dancing to a song by a washed up one hit wonder from Italy in 1997.

The point of debate here is not to change opinions. You can't change opinions that don't want to change. All you can do is put forward your arguments and defend them when challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA
    That is the weird part. supporters were still singing Kenny's name while losing to Luxembourg.

Is it because he was a former LOI manager? Because he supposedly plays football in the 'right' way? Majority of fans are easily swayed by whatever the media says? I think it might be a combination of a few of those things. Whatever it is, I find it incredible. Statistically one of our worst ever managers, repeated failures, driving us down the rankings, making it far more difficult to qualify for major tournaments, yet he still has a fervent and vocal following. I doubt many other managers with his record would have lasted this long. It's baffling!
    And that's why you don't get it. And because you don't get it, you don't want anyone else to get it either.

For you, it's all about winning matches, and qualifying for tournaments, and statistics. For those who back him, it's all about progress and bringing through new players and playing a style of football where we play the ball on the floor and we have more attacking weapons available than Duffy's head.

Sure, you can qualify for tournaments, but that's not necessarily a sign of progress if you're embarrassed when you get there. Nobody was singing his name after the Luxembourg game, not the home one anyway, because there was nobody there. I know you don't believe us but this team isn't capable of getting to tournaments right now You tell us how great it was that Slovakia got to the last Euros. You don't say that Spain kicked them out of it 5-0. If that's what you want this team to do, fair enough, but it's not in the best interests of Irish football.

Quote Originally Posted by John83
    I think Dunphy's retirement has helped Kenny. He'd be laying into him on TV every match (like he laid into far better) and it'd tilt the discussion a bit.
    No he wouldn't. He's one of his biggest backers in the media, because he plays the style of play that Dunphy wants us to play.
    Last edited by mypost; 07/03/2023 at 8:19 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    And that's why you don't get it. And because you don't get it, you don't want anyone else to get it either.

For you, it's all about winning matches, and qualifying for tournaments, and statistics. For those who back him, it's all about progress and bringing through new players and playing a style if football where we play the ball on the floor and we have more attacking weapons than Duffy's head.

Sure, you can qualify for tournaments, but that's not necessarily a sign of progress if you're embarrassed when you get there. Nobody was singing his name after the Luxembourg game, not the home one anyway, because there was nobody there. I know you don't believe us but this team isn't capable of getting to tournaments right now You tell us how great it was that Slovakia got to the last Euros. You don't say that Spain kicked them out of it 5-0. If that's what you want this team to do, fair enough, but it's not in the best interests of Irish football.

No he wouldn't. He's one of his biggest backers in the media.
    Of course it's all about winning matches and qualifying for tournaments! What's the alternative? Wanting us to lose matches and not qualify for tournaments? This is the kind of crazy talk that surrounds the Kenny reign.

My point was that Slovakia weren't a great team and you've just backed that up. Plus they were missing key players, it was a great opportunity for Kenny but he blew it. It would have been amazing to get to Euro 2020 and we didn't embarrass ourselves at our last major tournament.

We were close to qualifying before Kenny arrived and that was with an outdated manager. Imagine if a good manager came in at that stage? They would have had an experienced squad available to them and all these youngsters added to it. We would have qualified for Euro 2020. Gave the World Cup qualification a good go and be in a much stronger position now. Instead look at us. The Kenny reign has set us back years. You talk about progress but there has been none. We're in a far worse position now than when he took over. We need a competent manager to come in and turn things around. These players deserve far better and they're not hopeless like Kenny and his supporters like to make out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I think Dunphy's retirement has helped Kenny. He'd be laying into him on TV every match (like he laid into far better) and it'd tilt the discussion a bit. The current crop are very civilised in comparison.
    In print and on podcasts Dunphy has been very light on Kenny, seems to have thrown his support behind him. Brian Kerr and Richard Dunne have been quite vocal on TV, Brian in particular has been scathing.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

9. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    In print and on podcasts Dunphy has been very light on Kenny, seems to have thrown his support behind him. Brian Kerr and Richard Dunne have been quite vocal on TV, Brian in particular has been scathing.
    RTÉ pundits have been very lenient towards him, in fact, overly positive given what has been served up. It can't be denied that the reaction on there has an influence over the general viewer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    These players deserve far better and they're not hopeless like Kenny and his supporters like to make out.
    These players are getting their game for Ireland in the context of Ireland changing its style to something more fluid - it doesn't get better in terms of showing belief in the players. I'm 'meh' about Kenny, and wouldn't complain if a replacement was found, but in fairness to him, he hasn't been talking the players down or saying they are hopeless.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    These players are getting their game for Ireland in the context of Ireland changing its style to something more fluid - it doesn't get better in terms of showing belief in the players. I'm 'meh' about Kenny, and wouldn't complain if a replacement was found, but in fairness to him, he hasn't been talking the players down or saying they are hopeless.
    Stephen Kenny:

“With Portugal and Serbia in the group, and the spine of the last campaign being ripped out of the group, did anyone think we were favourites to qualify or that we should qualify?"

And a typical Kenny supporter quote taken from this page:

"I know you don't believe us but this team isn't capable of getting to tournaments right now"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    And yet there are people like you tearing into him because he pushed the boat out, by saying he wanted to win the NL group. He can't win with you lot, all you want is that he's sacked, so we can get back to hoofball and Duffy's head asap. And still failing to qualify.

Of course it's all about winning matches and qualifying for tournaments! What's the alternative? Wanting us to lose matches and not qualify for tournaments? This is the kind of crazy talk that surrounds the Kenny reign.

My point was that Slovakia weren't a great team and you've just backed that up. Plus they were missing key players, it was a great opportunity for Kenny but he blew it. It would have been amazing to get to Euro 2020 and we didn't embarrass ourselves at our last major tournament.

We were close to qualifying before Kenny arrived and that was with an outdated manager. Imagine if a good manager came in at that stage? They would have had an experienced squad available to them and all these youngsters added to it. We would have qualified for Euro 2020. Gave the World Cup qualification a good go and be in a much stronger position now. Instead look at us. The Kenny reign has set us back years. You talk about progress but there has been none. We're in a far worse position now than when he took over. We need a competent manager to come in and turn things around. These players deserve far better and they're not hopeless like Kenny and his supporters like to make out.
    Slovakia are not a great side, but they're still better than us. Whatever the great opportunity for us to qualify was, no Irish manager has ever won in Slovakia. The game finished as a draw like all the others out there. Only those with an agenda would blame a manager for players missing penalties. Of course if Mick was a competent manager, we wouldn't have even needed to go out there in the first place.

I've posted what the alternative is in the last post. If you can't read it properly, you can't be helped.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    And yet there are people like you tearing into him because he pushed the boat out, by saying he wanted to win the NL group. He can't win with you lot, all you want is that he's sacked, so we can get back to hoofball and Duffy's head asap. And still failing to qualify.

Slovakia are not a great side, but they're still better than us. Whatever the great opportunity for us to qualify was, no Irish manager has ever won in Slovakia. The game finished as a draw like all the others out there. Only those with an agenda would blame a manager for players missing penalties. Of course if Mick was a competent manager, we wouldn't have even needed to go out there in the first place.

I've posted what the alternative is in the last post. If you can't read it properly, you can't be helped.
    There's nothing wrong with saying your aim is to win a Nations League group but when you fail miserably and come close to coming last in the group, then expect to be called out on it. The next part is a straw man argument. I said nothing about playing hoofball. It is actually possible to compete and play good football, you just need a manager capable of implementing that. Unfortunately, we haven't got that and landing it on Duffy's head probably saved Kenny his job.

Slovakia were missing key players. It was a fantastic opportunity. Of course the players were blamed again for that failure. It's never Kenny's fault is it? McCarthy was never a great manager and by his second term, his methods were outdated but if Kenny had got so close to qualifying with Denmark and Switzerland in the group, you'd be erecting statues for him.

I think whoever came in after McCarthy, no one could have envisaged just how bad the results and performances would have sunk. Even the most pessimistic person wouldn't have said Kenny would be this bad. It's been such a disaster that we mightn't even get a backdoor play off for the next euros because Kenny has driven us so far down the rankings. A common judge on a manager is to see where their team was prior to them taking over and where they have left them. It's indisputable that Kenny has left us in a far worse spot but his supporters will keep singing his name. Hopefully more will start to realise that keeping him in charge is very damaging to our future, the last set of fixtures saw a good few turn that way.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    I can't believe we're back to the "it's either Kenny or hoofball" argument. What absolute nonsense, I expect more serious debate on this forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,377 Posts
    As a reminder, the forum does have an ignore button

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    It's been such a disaster that we mightn't even get a backdoor play off for the next euros because Kenny has driven us so far down the rankings. A common judge on a manager is to see where their team was prior to them taking over and where they have left them. It's indisputable that Kenny has left us in a far worse spot but his supporters will keep singing his name. Hopefully more will start to realise that keeping him in charge is very damaging to our future, the last set of fixtures saw a good few turn that way.
    To be clear, when he took over we were ranked 23rd (with a lowest possible rank of 24) and in this campaign, with the group rejigged, we came 26th (with a lowest possible rank of 31). It’s not a significant difference.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    To be clear, when he took over we were ranked 23rd (with a lowest possible rank of 24) and in this campaign, with the group rejigged, we came 26th (with a lowest possible rank of 31). It’s not a significant difference.
    It actually is a hugely significant difference as it could mean not getting a play off v getting a play off previously. Also, the lack of performance has left us with the France/Holland group. We've dropped from 34th to 48th in the World rankings. So to be clear, no amount of spin can change the fact that Kenny's reign has been disastrous.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    It actually is a hugely significant difference as it could mean not getting a play off v getting a play off previously. Also, the lack of performance has left us with the France/Holland group. We've dropped from 34th to 48th in the World rankings. So to be clear, no amount of spin can change the fact that Kenny's reign has been disastrous.
    23rd didn't guarantee you a playoff then either. obviously we got it - but it was still a risk. we were the 11th B team and we're now the 10th - so the likelihood of reaching the playoff is largely similar (higher of reaching pool B playoff, lower of reaching pool A playoff). Also, had we come 23rd - we'd still be in pot 3, which would have given us an equal chance to be in a group in france and netherlands

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    23rd didn't guarantee you a playoff then either. obviously we got it - but it was still a risk. we were the 11th B team and we're now the 10th - so the likelihood of reaching the playoff is largely similar (higher of reaching pool B playoff, lower of reaching pool A playoff). Also, had we come 23rd - we'd still be in pot 3, which would have given us an equal chance to be in a group in france and netherlands
    I'm not an expert on the play off process. I'm just basing it off what I've read. We're maybe 50/50 at best to get a play off this time while a higher chance last time. And the last one was based on the disastrous O Neill group when he lost the dressing room?

But basically, a better manager and better results would have left us in a stronger position in terms of getting a play off and a better draw for the Euros. You're trying to spin it but not getting second seeds was down to Kenny failing to reach even his stated targets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with saying your aim is to win a Nations League group but when you fail miserably and come close to coming last in the group, then expect to be called out on it. The next part is a straw man argument. I said nothing about playing hoofball. It is actually possible to compete and play good football, you just need a manager capable of implementing that. Unfortunately, we haven't got that and landing it on Duffy's head probably saved Kenny his job.

Slovakia were missing key players. It was a fantastic opportunity. Of course the players were blamed again for that failure. It's never Kenny's fault is it? McCarthy was never a great manager and by his second term, his methods were outdated but if Kenny had got so close to qualifying with Denmark and Switzerland in the group, you'd be erecting statues for him.

I think whoever came in after McCarthy, no one could have envisaged just how bad the results and performances would have sunk. Even the most pessimistic person wouldn't have said Kenny would be this bad. It's been such a disaster that we mightn't even get a backdoor play off for the next euros because Kenny has driven us so far down the rankings. A common judge on a manager is to see where their team was prior to them taking over and where they have left them. It's indisputable that Kenny has left us in a far worse spot but his supporters will keep singing his name. Hopefully more will start to realise that keeping him in charge is very damaging to our future, the last set of fixtures saw a good few turn that way.
    According to you, there's a lot wrong with saying he wants us to win the group and failing, and there's a lot wrong with lowering our expectations to reflect where we stand. One extreme to the other.

I know you don't like facts that don't support your argument, but in terms of results, we have won 3 and drawn 1 of our last 6 games. That's not a disasterous record that supports an instant sacking. If anything it shows that we're making slow but steady progress, and calls for more encouragement from us, rather than rip up the project and go back to hoofball. I know people don't want it described as that, but that's what's on the menu in the event that Kenny is sacked. No it's park the bus, hang on for dear life, and launch the ball in the general direction of Duffy's head instead. The tried and trusted technique that is boring, outdated, and ineffective.