Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Pre-season friendlies.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    We're actually a bit short on full backs this season! We lost most of the right backs

The formation has potential and fits Caulfield in some ways but I'm not sure we currently have the right striker for it. Still looking to bring someone in so we'll see I guess.

Ah yes, this usual nonsense.

No, Caulfield is not suddenly going to change his playing style because ye don't like it. He's played 4 years as a LOI manager. He has used the same style the entire time. It is not changing. It has been successful, it is not going to change. He may tweak the formation, but we will always be set up to be solid defensively ahead of anything else.

Change the record already, its not like you even have to watch it often! Not hard to avoid if it frustrates you that much.
    Alright calm down. All I'm saying is why sign young ball players if he's going to play direct again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I would ignore him if I were you. Hes a Dundalk fan in Longford clothing. I'll never understand why fans of other teams care about our style of play. It literally doesn't impact them in anyway.
    Beattie, Griffin, Sadlier, McNamee, Keoghane, Sheppard. Cork had some cracking players last season and when allowed to play attacking football (like when they put 7 past us) they were great to watch. Don't think anyone would be argued with a safer approach in the big games but most of the time it was fairly dull. Think that's the reason a lot of people criticise Caulfield but anyway this has been discussed to the death in recent years. Think Cork will do well to finish 2nd this year, although Rovers still haven't found a striker

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Bray beat Rovers 3-2 there yesterday I think. No idea what sort of team Rovers had. Bray had two trialists

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I would ignore him if I were you. Hes a Dundalk fan in Longford clothing. I'll never understand why fans of other teams care about our style of play. It literally doesn't impact them in anyway.
    Are you serious that you don't understand, or are you just using a figure of speech?

Most fans will obviously care more about their team winning rather than the style of football from either team, but how the opposition play clearly has a bearing on the likely entertainment value for the spectator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Beattie, Griffin, Sadlier, McNamee, Keoghane, Sheppard. Cork had some cracking players last season and when allowed to play attacking football (like when they put 7 past us) they were great to watch. Don't think anyone would be argued with a safer approach in the big games but most of the time it was fairly dull. Think that's the reason a lot of people criticise Caulfield but anyway this has been discussed to the death in recent years. Think Cork will do well to finish 2nd this year, although Rovers still haven't found a striker
    If we struggle this year it will have nothing to do with our style of play. It will be because we don't have enough good players. Some people are obsessed with "playing the right way". There is no right way. Winning is all that matters. You dont get extra points for "style".

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Pats beat Cobh 4-1 in Celbridge on Saturday. Strong first half performance from Pats, squad is looking very solid so far, Rhys McCabe was there also doing some running in the warmup in Pats gear and was also on a team bonding night out too. Fantastic signing he'll be if he signs (as it looks like he will). Strangely enough all 5 goals were headers, Pats looked very dangerous from every set piece

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Pats beat Cobh 4-1 in Celbridge on Saturday. Strong first half performance from Pats, squad is looking very solid so far, Rhys McCabe was there also doing some running in the warmup in Pats gear and was also on a team bonding night out too. Fantastic signing he'll be if he signs (as it looks like he will). Strangely enough all 5 goals were headers, Pats looked very dangerous from every set piece
    Pat's building a great squad. Reckon top 4 shouldn't be an issue this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Alright calm down. All I'm saying is why sign young ball players if he's going to play direct again?
    Surely you understand how ridiculous this question is? He shouldnt sign any skilful players because you don't think he gets enough out of them? Despite the complaints of him being wasted, Sadlier was 2nd top scorer in the league. I'm sure Caulfield is plenty happy with what he got out of him even if you aren't. All of the players you named below played the vast majority of games. Again, just becuase you think they should be used differently, we shouldn't have signed them at all?! It's nonsensical. Also, the players you chose to make your point make it very clear you know very little about our players or squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    If we struggle this year it will have nothing to do with our style of play. It will be because we don't have enough good players. Some people are obsessed with "playing the right way". There is no right way. Winning is all that matters. You dont get extra points for "style".
    In the short term (or for glory hunting supporters ) that is true, but most supporters do expect successful teams to entertain, or at least try to.If the style of play at Cork is such a non issue with Cork fans why do they get so narked when other fans express an opinion ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Pats looked very dangerous from every set piece
    Set Piece Athletic back in business!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Come on EP you are a member of the CCFC forum and the style of football is a bone of contention with a lot of Cork fans there too almost to the point of civil war, it obviously matters to some if not you. The world over supporters care about the style teams play - how often does Allerdyce get lambasted for style, Mourhino also, you have the 'West Ham way and 'the Spurs way' etc, Manchester United fans chanting 'attack'. I know Cork fans are a tetchy lot especially on your club forum but you do actually have the odd thing in common with the general football fan and wanting the team set up to play an attractive brand of football is one, not an obsessive one either!

Last season having the likes of Sadlier and McNamee at Cork was a thorn in the side for Caulfield as fans knew the team had more football in them. This season Caulfield is back in a comfort zone with not having those footballer types, the PR drive of talking up budget cuts or limited resources, having the team grind out results and fans thinking its great what Caulfield can get out of a limited squad. I'd expect JC to circle the wagons at first opportunity too.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Come on EP you are a member of the CCFC forum and the style of football is a bone of contention with a lot of Cork fans there too almost to the point of civil war, it obviously matters to some if not you. The world over supporters care about the style teams play - how often does Allerdyce get lambasted for style, Mourhino also, you have the 'West Ham way and 'the Spurs way' etc, Manchester United fans chanting 'attack'. I know Cork fans are a tetchy lot especially on your club forum but you do actually have the odd thing in common with the general football fan and wanting the team set up to play an attractive brand of football is one, not an obsessive one either!

Last season having the likes of Sadlier and McNamee at Cork was a thorn in the side for Caulfield as fans knew the team had more football in them. This season Caulfield is back in a comfort zone with not having those footballer types, the PR drive of talking up budget cuts or limited resources, having the team grind out results and fans thinking its great what Caulfield can get out of a limited squad. I'd expect JC to circle the wagons at first opportunity too.
    I get what you are saying about JC looking to create a siege mentality. Part of that is trying to get people to row in behind the idea of getting the most out of limited resources, but El-Pietro is right about one aspect of the importance of winning.

If Cork continue with the same style and are not winning the crowds will probably drop significantly - for a sizable number, the football is too awful to endure if it is not producing results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bray beat Rovers 3-2 there yesterday I think. No idea what sort of team Rovers had. Bray had two trialists
    Extra time has this up as the rovers team
    http://www.extratime.ie/matches/detail/36016/1/#lineups

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I get what you are saying about JC looking to create a siege mentality. Part of that is trying to get people to row in behind the idea of getting the most out of limited resources, but El-Pietro is right about one aspect of the importance of winning.

If Cork continue with the same style and are not winning the crowds will probably drop significantly - for a sizable number, the football is too awful to endure if it is not producing results.
    I meant to say that actually, in that a blind eye is often truned when results are rolling in but as soon as that stops happening things turn sour very quickly. Last season was a perfect example where some Cork fans went straight to booing the team off and the forum full of people calling for JC to go. CCFC are not alone in that as the afore mentioned Mourhino another example albeit on a different scale. But the premise is the same when trophies were being won including in Europe, a bad run and the crowd turned along with the players, many of whom were not happy with how things were being done. Sadlier leaving Cork is symptomatic of the similar issues at Old Trafford. Difference being that JC's ego is not bigger than the club he played for and loves and he keeps it in check most times to driving his teams on rather than turning on anyone else.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/01/2019 at 8:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    In the short term (or for glory hunting supporters ) that is true, but most supporters do expect successful teams to entertain, or at least try to.If the style of play at Cork is such a non issue with Cork fans why do they get so narked when other fans express an opinion ?
    Because its absolutely constant. Its pretty much the only thing brought up about us and its tiresome to read. Especially when it's people who clearly have little understanding of our players in the first place.

I think city fans are well within their rights to complain about the style. They're the ones having to watch it every week. If they don't enjoy it, of course they should voice that. But the reality is if it's Caulfield, that's what we know we're getting. And the vast vast majority don't want to lose Caulfield and the consistency and success he has brought. You're not going to get it both ways.

I completely agree Caulfields style of football will get far less leeway when results aren't going our way. I'm sure he's well aware of it too. That's the risk he takes with his style. If results go downhill for a season, support will drop quickly.

17. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulsey View Post
    Strong side in fairness.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulsey View Post
    That was starting team alright. Subs all u19/17s no idea when subs came on. Think there was another game that morning the rest of the first team played in.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Cork City vs Longford Town, Saturday February 2nd @ Turner's Cross KO 2pm

https://twitter.com/corkcityfcnews/s...021216256?s=19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    That was starting team alright. Subs all u19/17s no idea when subs came on. Think there was another game that morning the rest of the first team played in.
    Rovers subs came on about the hour mark when they changed the full team except the keeper.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Cork City vs Longford Town, Saturday February 2nd @ Turner's Cross KO 2pm

https://twitter.com/corkcityfcnews/s...021216256?s=19
    yet another away friendly for us. not one home friendly advertised yet.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast