Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Pre-season friendlies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Harry Kenny is getting to know the Rovers experience "off-site" as you will, before he takes over next year.
    Pats are a club that are not in my sphere one way or the other, but I'm interested to see how Madden Miele and Shaw link up. Madden & Shaw were always good lads for Rovers.
    Not one of your better trolling efforts PC!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Not one of your better trolling efforts PC!
    Ah come on now Nesta, if you were stuck with the Bradster as manager you would be hoping for incoming as well. Any incoming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Dundalk V Drogheda 25th Jan 7.45PM in Oriel Jim Malone Cup
    2 Games in Spain the following week at a training camp
    Dundalk V Longford 5th Feb 7.45Pm in Oriel
    Cork V Dundalk 9th Feb 5.30pm in Cork

Thats our pre-season schedule complete. Play Athlone in Leinster Senior the Monday after the first league game
    One of these now confirmed, Dundalk v LASK Linz (Austria) in Spain on 29th Jan, 12.30 GMT. This will be a tough game, they are currently second in the Austrian top div.
    Last edited by oriel; 16/01/2019 at 10:30 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    St Pat's V Drogheda at Richmond, Feb 8th.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    St Marys 0-2 Cork City. Rainsford and Hurley with the goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Ah come on now Nesta, if you were stuck with the Bradster as manager you would be hoping for incoming as well. Any incoming.
    Maybe but I wouldnt be so quick to rule Pats out of any sphere and not making a bigger impact this season. Could be dark horses certainly for Europe. It's shaping up to be a very interesting season with upheaval at the top two of last season and Bradley bound to be expected to have Rovers challanging fully in yr 3(?). Waterford its hard to know if they will kick on from last season so far. UCD will underestimated at any sides peril. Bohs a bit like Waterford its hard to know whether they can build on momentum the end of last season with players out. Nobody will enjoy going to Harps. Sligo will be stronger especially if they can lose the home fixture hoodoo under Buckley. It will be no march to the league title this season for whomever is top next November breaking various records. Cork fans' observation that Caulfield is likely as effective with a reduced motivated squad with as he was with a larger squad with players he lacked conviction with playing them.

Sorry this is not really the right thread for the above so If Linz play anything like their full strength side it will be a damn good a test for a friendly
    Last edited by Nesta99; 17/01/2019 at 12:21 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Two more friendlies for Harps. One rather strange addition against a team in the same division too.

Inishowen League Oscar Traynor vs Finn Harps - Tue 22nd Jan - Maginn Park
    Derry City vs Finn Harps - Fri 25th Jan - Brandywell

Added to Drogheda 2nd Feb and Limerick tomorrow, we've another year of away fixtures for pre-season.

I'm pretty sure we haven't played a pre-season game in Finn Park since 2013.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Cliftonville announced a friendly against us in solitude next month. a few of us are going to travel up to it.

Its a ground I am not familar with. whats the direction to it if you are coming from aughnacloy side on motorway?

http://ltfc.ie/longford-town-away-to...16th-february/

It will be the first time I have being in Belfast since the Setanta Cup for a town match since the 05 season. Going by the website it seems to be in the city centre in Cliftonville St.

I have being in the oval and windsor park and drove past crusaders ground on the larne road.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Cliftonville announced a friendly against us in solitude next month. a few of us are going to travel up to it.

Its a ground I am not familar with. whats the direction to it if you are coming from aughnacloy side on motorway?

http://ltfc.ie/longford-town-away-to...16th-february/

It will be the first time I have being in Belfast since the Setanta Cup for a town match since the 05 season. Going by the website it seems to be in the city centre in Cliftonville St.

I have being in the oval and windsor park and drove past crusaders ground on the larne road.
    I wouldn't describe Cliftonville as city centre. They're firmly in North Belfast - though less than 2 miles form the city centre. Belfast is a lot smaller than you might think, and things are closer together than they seem.

To get there go M1, then Westlink, then up the Antrim Rd. Pretty easy to find.

P.S. Crusaders ground is on the side of the main motorway for everywhere to the north and north-west of Belfast, not just Larne

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I wouldn't describe Cliftonville as city centre. They're firmly in North Belfast - though less than 2 miles form the city centre. Belfast is a lot smaller than you might think, and things are closer together than they seem.

To get there go M1, then Westlink, then up the Antrim Rd. Pretty easy to find.

P.S. Crusaders ground is on the side of the main motorway for everywhere to the north and north-west of Belfast, not just Larne
    Where in relation to Seaview is their planned new ground?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Where in relation to Seaview is their planned new ground?
    Long time since I heard anything about it, so could have changed. Thought they'd sacked the idea and were happy to redevelop.

But what i remember was the other side of the motorway from seaview and slightly out, from centre of Belfast. Think its was a reclaimed landfill, or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Waterford 6, Wexford 0. Wexford management used the game to look at a number of triallists who didn't feature last week against Pats. Wexford played ok to go in 2-0 down at half-time but it was all Waterford in the second half. Wexford looked solid down the spine with Corey Chambers, Owen McCormack, Daire O'Connor, Danny Doyle and Ryan Nolan doing well and Sean Roche working hard if very isolated up front. Wexford's flanks looked like needing more work. Very limited experience, but Waterford looked like they had more about them than Pats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Harps 2-1 Limerick, Boyle and O Reilly for Harps, McSweeney for Limerick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Not really a friendly but this is as good a place as any to put it
    Fermoy 1-4 Cork City in the Munster Senior Cup quarter final. Goals for Sheppard, Tilley (2) and Daire O'Connor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    We've played all our pre season games with 3 at the back. Clear departure from Caulfields norm. Always interesting to see new approaches, but not sure how it'l holdup against stronger opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    He has to use up some of those full/wingbacks somehow! Why not 3 at the back with wingbacks, its sufficiently defensive if need be while it can transition in to quick attacking on the break. It would fit Caulfields mindset and is a better fit to players available imo.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    We've played all our pre season games with 3 at the back. Clear departure from Caulfields norm. Always interesting to see new approaches, but not sure how it'l holdup against stronger opposition.
    But is he looking to play a more attractive style based around ball retention? Can play whatever formation you like but if it's the same drivel as last season under Caulfield it won't matter a jot. The likes of O'Connor could be great additions if they are allowed to play a certain way. The likes of sadlier and McNamee were wasted last season

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    finally our preseason friendlies start from this saturday! strangely enough we have no home friendlies which a lot of people are giving out about as home friendlies are included in the season ticket.

heres the four of our friendlies announced so far:

Sat Jan 26th 2019
    11:30 am
    Roadstone, Kingswood
    Shamrock Rovers v Longford Town

Tue Jan 29th 2019
    7:30 pm
    AUL Complex
    Bohemians v Longford Town

Tue Feb 5th 2019
    7:45 pm
    Oriel Park
    Dundalk v Longford Town

Sat Feb 16th 2019
    3:00 pm
    Solitude
    Cliftonville v Longford Town
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    He has to use up some of those full/wingbacks somehow! Why not 3 at the back with wingbacks, its sufficiently defensive if need be while it can transition in to quick attacking on the break. It would fit Caulfields mindset and is a better fit to players available imo.
    We're actually a bit short on full backs this season! We lost most of the right backs

The formation has potential and fits Caulfield in some ways but I'm not sure we currently have the right striker for it. Still looking to bring someone in so we'll see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    But is he looking to play a more attractive style based around ball retention? Can play whatever formation you like but if it's the same drivel as last season under Caulfield it won't matter a jot. The likes of O'Connor could be great additions if they are allowed to play a certain way. The likes of sadlier and McNamee were wasted last season
    Ah yes, this usual nonsense.

No, Caulfield is not suddenly going to change his playing style because ye don't like it. He's played 4 years as a LOI manager. He has used the same style the entire time. It is not changing. It has been successful, it is not going to change. He may tweak the formation, but we will always be set up to be solid defensively ahead of anything else.

Change the record already, its not like you even have to watch it often! Not hard to avoid if it frustrates you that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    We're actually a bit short on full backs this season! We lost most of the right backs

The formation has potential and fits Caulfield in some ways but I'm not sure we currently have the right striker for it. Still looking to bring someone in so we'll see I guess.

Ah yes, this usual nonsense.

No, Caulfield is not suddenly going to change his playing style because ye don't like it. He's played 4 years as a LOI manager. He has used the same style the entire time. It is not changing. It has been successful, it is not going to change. He may tweak the formation, but we will always be set up to be solid defensively ahead of anything else.

Change the record already, its not like you even have to watch it often! Not hard to avoid if it frustrates you that much.
    I would ignore him if I were you. Hes a Dundalk fan in Longford clothing. I'll never understand why fans of other teams care about our style of play. It literally doesn't impact them in anyway.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast