Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Luca Connell (D/M Barnsley b.2001)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    It's sad really how we have become cynical about such utterances from dual qualified nationals.

https://www.independent.ie/au/sport/...-38162823.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The upside to this I think we will get to see josh Cullen play some part in these 2 games

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It's a pity re Connell but that will make it even more emphatic an occasion and statement if he comes back in Sept/Oct to play a role and get his cap.

We really need someone to buck the trend as soon as possible. I imagine Grealish will be gunning to play himself on to the England squad within 12 months now. Rice is being heavily linked with United.

Just on the head turning, I know the Irish community is strong in Birmingham but I also know Grealish's father has a strong taste for money and attention. The Irish community in Liverpool is probably less identifiable due to the timelines of emigration. Connell's grandparents are outliers in that they didn't move to Liverpool in the late 1800s or early 1900's but you'd wonder if he would ever heavily identify as English. As he says, Liverpool is almost a part of Ireland. It isn't as attractive to him. I hope.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Christ. The facts of the Rice case are really impacting my green tinted cognitive biases. All I could picture after that post was that iconic pic of Rice and his utterly chuffed father after his debut.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    the Georgia away qualifier in October is realistically the only game left that he could play in. It's a lot to ask an 18 year old to play against Switzerland, or Denmark.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    It's sad really how we have become cynical about such utterances from dual qualified nationals.

https://www.independent.ie/au/sport/...-38162823.html
    It's worrying to say the least. Mick says to him I'm possibly going to give you the infamous 3 mins on the pitch. He say sounds great..... and then pulls out.... He might be genuinely injured but I can't be confident.

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's a pity re Connell but that will make it even more emphatic an occasion and statement if he comes back in Sept/Oct to play a role and get his cap.

We really need someone to buck the trend as soon as possible. I imagine Grealish will be gunning to play himself on to the England squad within 12 months now. Rice is being heavily linked with United.

Just on the head turning, I know the Irish community is strong in Birmingham but I also know Grealish's father has a strong taste for money and attention. The Irish community in Liverpool is probably less identifiable due to the timelines of emigration. Connell's grandparents are outliers in that they didn't move to Liverpool in the late 1800s or early 1900's but you'd wonder if he would ever heavily identify as English. As he says, Liverpool is almost a part of Ireland. It isn't as attractive to him. I hope.
    Liverpool is basically an Irish city. I was there working in 88' and the place errupted when we won. They don't feel English at all. Great people the Liverpudlians.

I think they still suffer from Middle England's stereotypes of the Irish and it impacts on their Englishness. Birmingham has a massive Irish population but you wouldn't call it an Irish city. I would be suprised if Luca declared for England but until he plays competitively anything can happen.

I saw him play for Bolton and imo he has the talent to be an incredible player. Jason Knight is even more talented though which is great from our point of view.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    A lot of articles out there linking Luca to Celtic now. I wouldn't normally be a fan of seeing our higher rated young players moving to Scotland, but in this case it might help us secure his future as an Irish player.

Hopefully, if this goes through, he will be able to get into the first team pretty quickly, the development league in Scotland is a complete joke standard wise and is not where you would want any young Irish player to be playing.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    his social media posts around the denmark game were positive as well. obviously can't take anything for granted but... he's making all the right noises

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Celtic reportedly have opened official transfer talks now. Agree should increase chances of remaining with Ireland, not a fan of Scottish league given standard. But should be easier for him to start games at his young age so will help his development. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...sfer-news/amp/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Celtic reportedly have opened official transfer talks now. Agree should increase chances of remaining with Ireland, not a fan of Scottish league given standard. But should be easier for him to start games at his young age so will help his development. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...sfer-news/amp/
    If Rodgers was still in charge of Celtic, I'd think it was a good move for him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Signs for Celtic on a four year deal. Hopefully can push on into the first team right away. If he's as good as he's made out to be he'll have a chance to play, Celtic have an early start in Europe and their midfield is decent but not outstanding.

Hopefully a good move in terms of ensuring he stays with us.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 29/06/2019 at 9:35 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Great move for him best of luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Now he has to play for Ireland 🇮🇪

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Good move. England won't pick a young a young guy 'only' playing in Scotland. We will.

He will play in a winning team with plenty of the ball. Good for his development.

If he shines he will get chances at Celtic and move on to another level in time to come.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Good move. England won't pick a young a young guy 'only' playing in Scotland. We will.

He will play in a winning team with plenty of the ball. Good for his development.

If he shines he will get chances at Celtic and move on to another level in time to come.
    Not sure about the England wont pick a lad in Scotland bit. Dembele has lived there since he was 2 or 3 and they pick him and they were still picking okoflex when he moved. Connell is under 19 for the coming season Brits would happily pick him in their qualifying squad for the 19s which is probably in October. Obviously that would be him gone then

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Oh right yeah. I was actually only thinking in terms of the senior team. England barely picked the likes of Alan Thompson and Chris Sutton despite years of success at Celtic. Forgot underage selection can tie you down too. To be honest I'm not that well up on the rules.

Still, if we offer him caps at senior level and England only look to get him in at u19 does that not put us in a stronger position?

And I'm sure playing in front of scores of tricolours hanging from the stands each week won't hurt his feelings towards us either!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interviewed on Celtic's website: http://www.celticfc.net/news/16438
    Might make his first appearance tomorrow against Rennes at Celtic Park
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Connell hasn't made the Celtic travelling squad for their Champions League qualifier in Romania this week. Started for their colts team in the Challenge Cup last night but was subbed off at half time.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    What do all the "play him against Gibraltar" mob think now

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast