Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Murphy (D Newcastle b.2004)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

Alex Murphy (D Newcastle b.2004)

Named as a substitute this evening for Newcastle
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I know he had a great preseason but this is a great achievement for a 19 year old in that set up. Said it before but I’d love to see him get a call up and a closer look.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think we only have one left-back in the squad this month (Manning). We've Coleman (35 now), Liam Scales (but I think he's much better in the centre of defence), Enda Stevens (hitting a bit of form again at club level I think, but he's 33), Callum O'Dowda (but he's not a wing-back) and James McClean (for the New Zealand tie only)

He's not in the U21s this month; not sure why that is?

But anyway, we've so few alternatives that, yeah, he may well be worth a call. I think making the bench during the season is better than playing a couple of pre-season games. Wouldn't be expecting Ferguson-style miracles, but beggars can't be choosers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I know he had a great preseason but this is a great achievement for a 19 year old in that set up. Said it before but I’d love to see him get a call up and a closer look.
    Both Burn and Targett are both out for the next three months so might make a few more squads between now and then. Dummett on the would likely be second choice LB atm but also the only other CB on the bench for them with Botman also injured.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

He's not in the U21s this month; not sure why that is?
    Not sure if Tayo was injured as this is his first squad of the season. Crawford gave him a start last year in one game and he was very good in possibly the best performance we've seen from a Crawford team in the 3-1 win over Montenegro. Style wise he's more suited to the WB role than Murphy being more athletic and quicker.

Then you've also got Anselmo Garcia whose been playing LB regularly this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Hall off at half time and replaced by Livaramento who’s primarily a right back but can play left back,unfortunately for Murphy Newcastle have plenty of full backs who can play either side …..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Has he been injured for the last few months since preseason as I haven't noticed him in Newcastle under 21s?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Debut for him against Chelsea…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

9. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    He played around 10 minutes including stoppage time. They were winning 4-1 against 10 men when he came on so he didn't have much to do but looked very comfortable with the few touches and passes that he got. I watched him coming through at Galway Utd, he has huge potential and seems very level headed so hopefully this is the first of many games at the top top level.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    It's difficult to get excited about a player at a petro-dollar infused club, as they'll probably sell him and buy three full-backs for the GDP of Brighton (the city, not the club), but if he can hold his own there fair dues to him! It's too long since we've had a player at an elite club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It's difficult to get excited about a player at a petro-dollar infused club, as they'll probably sell him and buy three full-backs for the GDP of Brighton (the city, not the club), but if he can hold his own there fair dues to him! It's too long since we've had a player at an elite club.
    If Newcastle are gonna be playing European football regularly now they'll need homegrown players so they'll have to develop some youngsters as club trained.

They hadn't enough home grown players to fill the squad so could only name a 23 man squad for the A list with Dummett, Elliott Anderson, and Longstaff as club trained players. Left footed CBs don't grow on trees and with them needing to develop players it hopefully points towards him making it at Newcastle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    If Newcastle are gonna be playing European football regularly now they'll need homegrown players so they'll have to develop some youngsters as club trained.

They hadn't enough home grown players to fill the squad so could only name a 23 man squad for the A list with Dummett, Elliott Anderson, and Longstaff as club trained players. Left footed CBs don't grow on trees and with them needing to develop players it hopefully points towards him making it at Newcastle.
    I might be wrong, but I don't think he qualifies as home grown, since he only joined them last year
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don't think he qualifies as home grown, since he only joined them last year
    You are correct - he has to have three years with the club or another club in the same national association.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Luke Shaw joined United at 18, and think it was a month before his 19th birthday and became club trained after a few years there. Always assumed a player had to join the club before his 18th birthday and then spend three years for that to happen.

So in three years Murphy should count as a club trained player for Newcastle. Not sure of what other young players are on the fringes of the first team squad but given their lack of homegrown players they'll hopefully look after him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I think it's something like three years in England by age 21. So, having joined at 18, he should count as home grown by 2025.

Would imagine, unless Newcastle see him as developing way ahead of schedule, that a loan out would be his next move. Maybe League 1 if it is to happen in January, or he might have progressed enough by next summer to go to a Championship team.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Think in his three years needed to be classed as homegrown and more so club trained he can only go on loan for one season. So Newcastle could wait to find him a full season long loan next summer, or get him a half a season loan this January and another half season next January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    There's lazy, there's wrong, and then there's what Aidan Fitzmaurice wrote in this article about Murphy's debut

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    There's lazy, there's wrong, and then there's what Aidan Fitzmaurice wrote in this article about Murphy's debut
    Only the second Galway teen to play in the premier league in recent seasons

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    He also says he's the fourth Galwegian to play in the top flight, it's sixth, Eamonn Deacy was a league winner with Aston Villa and Aaron Connolly is also from Galway. Fitzmaurice only listed Greg Cunningham, Rory Ginty and Tony Folan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Only the second Galway teen to play in the premier league in recent seasons
    True, but he says "second Irish teen" in the article, not second Galway teen

Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    He also says he's the fourth Galwegian to play in the top flight, it's sixth, Eamonn Deacy was a league winner with Aston Villa and Aaron Connolly is also from Galway. Fitzmaurice only listed Greg Cunningham, Rory Ginty and Tony Folan.
    Well spotted! I should have picked up on Connolly when I included him in the list of teens!
    Found these two pages on wikipedia, Fitzmaurice's list is also missing Eamonn Dolan, who turned out for West Ham in the First Division in the late 80's and managed a single game for Reading in the Premier League in a caretaker role
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Galway_(city)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._County_Galway
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 27/11/2023 at 11:40 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    True, but he says "second Irish teen" in the article, not second Galway teen
    Plus he adds aside from Ferguson. So he definitely meant Irish teen and wasn't a mistake which should have said second Galway teen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast