Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Luca Connell (D/M Barnsley b.2001)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    An awful move for him again if it happens. Although I suppose marginally better than sitting around doing nothing with Celtic for another four months.

It's been said before but Connell to Celtic must surely be one of the worst moves ever by an Irish player, down there with but probably even worse than O'Connor to Celtic, Afolabi to Celtic, Oko-flex to Celtic and Duffy to Celtic (Best of luck to Lawal, Scales, McCarthy and Vata all the same).

I take it there's some kind of domestic transfer window in Scotland that allows this to happen outside of the main transfer window?
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    How is he not getting at least a Scottish Championship move? I was speaking to a lifelong Queen's Park supporter through work last season and he said that Connell was far too good for their level.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Similar to Conor Ronan. Talented player, impresses on loan, but never progresses with parent club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    We considered making a UCD version, but it wound up looking like a Shels jersey.
    And let’s face it, no one wants that
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Similar to Conor Ronan. Talented player, impresses on loan, but never progresses with parent club.
    He looked the part at Bolton. Honestly Celtic never should have signed him if they had no intention of playing him. If he was getting his game in League 1 I wish they’d at least send him back there to develop rather than the lower tiers in Scotland where the level just isn’t good enough to bring his game up to the required level.

I know Mick isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he’s been around the block and saw enough in him to have him in and around our senior squad. And I appreciate even then we were at a low ebb. But to go from that to going on loan to a club in Scotland’s third tier? It just doesn’t make sense.
    Last edited by irishfan86; 18/09/2021 at 6:31 AM.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    The Bolton stuff was an anomaly, a club in crisis at the time and it was in no way reflective of O'Connell really being a Championship standard player at that time. His inability to get near the Celtic team under successive managers, to secure a loan move to another SPL team or even a Scottish Championship team is surely only indicative of Celtic taking a punt on a guy who hasn't turned out to be very good rather than Celtic necessarily preventing a young talent from blossoming. Shane O'Connor played a handful of games in the Championship too for all the good it did him in the long run.

I think a lot of people expected more from O'Connell and at least he's loaned out a division higher up the ladder than last season I suppose. But given that Lee O'Connor spent last year at Tranmere I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Celtic are loaning him to Queens Park out of necessity rather than design.
    Last edited by sadloserkid; 18/09/2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Time*Team

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    The Bolton stuff was an anomaly, a club in crisis at the time and it was in no way reflective of O'Connell really being a Championship standard player at that time. His inability to get near the Celtic team under successive managers, to secure a loan move to another SPL team or even a Scottish Championship time is surely only indicative of Celtic taking a punt on a guy who hasn't turned out to be very good rather than Celtic necessarily preventing a young talent from blossoming. Shane O'Connor played a handful of games in the Championship too for all the good it did him in the long run.

I think a lot of people expected more from O'Connell and at least he's loaned out a division higher up the ladder than last season I suppose. But given that Lee O'Connor spent last year at Tranmere I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Celtic are loaning him to Queens Park out of necessity rather than design.
    The idea that Celtic are sabotaging players for the sake of it is comedy stuff. The reality is that the vast majority of these players are not as good as some people are dreaming of. What % of underage players actually make it, and Celtic are obviously Not getting the best young players. The options of the best young players is way above Celtic just as it is with best senior players with regard to joining Celtic.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Who said they were doing it deliberately?

I think there's a good case to be said for Celtic being a bad desination for young players. The underage leagues and structure in Scotland don't help.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post

I think there's a good case to be said for Celtic being a bad desination for young players. The underage leagues and structure in Scotland don't help.
    Why would these players be going there then if they were good enough to go to the better clubs at bringing young players through ?

The most probable answer is that the clubs that are better at bringing young players through, do not think they are good enough. Obviously there may be the odd surprise or some young fella that gets his act together while previously not looking like he had that in him. The most probable answer is that these players are Not good enough.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Celtic are/were in disarray and have plenty of slots in the first team and first team squad for CM, LB, RB, CF etc for the like of Connel, Afolabi, O Connor and Oko Flex to put their hands up and be included on merit. They are desperate for these lads to come good. But come good they have not yet. For Irelands sake I hope they will but the signs aren't good.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Why would these players be going there then if they were good enough to go to the better clubs at bringing young players through ?

The most probable answer is that the clubs that are better at bringing young players through, do not think they are good enough. Obviously there may be the odd surprise or some young fella that gets his act together while previously not looking like he had that in him. The most probable answer is that these players are Not good enough.
    That’s a bit simplistic. I remember there being quite a few decent teams in for some of the players referenced by BoT (including the teams they were leaving) but they chose Celtic. A number of these could easily be put down to bad advice from and/or self-interest of agents.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    That’s a bit simplistic. I remember there being quite a few decent teams in for some of the players referenced by BoT (including the teams they were leaving) but they chose Celtic. A number of these could easily be put down to bad advice from and/or self-interest of agents.
    Can these young fellas leave Celtic if they think its not working out for them at Celtic ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Can these young fellas leave Celtic if they think its not working out for them at Celtic ?
    Yep surely if both parties agree to terminate the contract that can be done
    Celtic may not want that though

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Well, at least he's doing what he can where he is... Came on at the 65 minute mark against Peterhead and scored and equaliser eleven minutes later: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58606620

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that between a quarter to close to half Celtic's regular starting lineup are academy graduates. These days you have Ralston, Welsh, Montgomery, McGregor, Forrest. Kieran Tierney is another recent academy graduate who went onto the EPL and Kris Ajer came through successfully having been signed at a similar age to the Irish lads. Moussa Dembele and Odsonne Edouard are other young players who saw Celtic as a suitable destination to get the necessary exposure and playing time to move onto a big league.

Luca Connell hasn't looked like he has the necessary strength and athleticism when he's appeared for Celtic. Afolabi hasn't set the heather alight in the Scottish champ. Okoflex is supposed to have attitude problems and I believe he was involved in a very questionable social media episode. O'Connor I'm not sure about exactly but he also didn't look like a stand out on loan last season. Okoflex aside I just think these guys haven't evidently been good enough to make the breakthrough.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Scored a brace yesterday to bring his tally to 6 for the season so, while the level he's playing at is still lower than he needs to be at, at least he seems to be doing well at that level. And remember, he's not yet 21. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60534573

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    hard to take too much from that given hes playing in a league that is a lot poorer than LOI

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    743 Posts
    It would be the equivalent of playing in the League of Ireland first division in terms of standard. Not where he would have expected to end up after his stint playing in the English Championship a couple of years ago.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Maybe Celtic have a plan for him?

It's hard to know whether he's better regarded than their B team players. Knowing whether they see him playing men's football week in, week out as being better than the B team (including Lawal) would be telling. The B team plays in the Lowland League so it'd appear they see Connell's loan move as being better for him.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Maybe Celtic have a plan for him?

It's hard to know whether he's better regarded than their B team players. Knowing whether they see him playing men's football week in, week out as being better than the B team (including Lawal) would be telling. The B team plays in the Lowland League so it'd appear they see Connell's loan move as being better for him.
    The age limit for outfielders for the Celtic and Rangers B teams is 19. Connell is too old.

29. Thanks From:

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast