Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Luca Connell (D/M Barnsley b.2001)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Does anyone know if we were selected to send a team to Toulon in the summer? Or how likely it is we will be selected? I know Kenny mentioned trying to enter it. Potentially Connell could be part of a very competitive squad.
    Kenny confirmed we've been accepted for this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Not meaning to pry too much but there were very few English-born lads in that squad. Could you specifically state there is no doubting the allegiane of any of the non-Irish born kids?

What is his connection does anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Including Luca? I'm not sure what you are getting at? Can u clarify
    My post is explicit. I’m not naming names and I’m not explaining further. That team is tight.

As far as I can recall this is the first age group of the development squad era. It would take a committed and talented kid not raised in Ireland to make those squads.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    My post is explicit. I’m not naming names and I’m not explaining further. That team is tight.

As far as I can recall this is the first age group of the development squad era. It would take a committed and talented kid not raised in Ireland to make those squads.
    Yes lads need to calm down. Obafemi, crowley and johsnsson have committed In last few months with us not handing out caps willy nilly. Louie Barry is an exceptional under 16 striker dual qualified banging them in for England 15s and 16s and our 15s and 16s. Should we offer him a cap against Gibraltar and cut him loose if he doesnt accept?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    You’d prefer to hang on to players who don’t accept Liam?
    Le monde est a nous

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    You’d prefer to hang on to players who don’t accept Liam?
    I think the way we have done this up to now has been successful and correct. Rice ultimately behaved poorly to accept senior caps when he was not fully committed and then to compound it dragged it out so unnecessarily long to confirm his intention. I think we should learn from this and not give senior friendly caps without public commitment to accepting competitive cap.

Grealish to his credit did not allow it go to that point .

otherwise we need to decide that we won't pick dual nationals at any level underage and leave it at that. England cap about 50 lads at under 15 and 16 level a season and have no difficulty picking lads who also play for other countries and continue to pick them without making them choose again Barry, riley at city and hodge at city are prime examples of this in our set up at moment Dembele is prime example of this born London moved Glasgow as 2 year old played with Scotland under 16s from age 13 then Brits swoop in and pick him at 16s level for them.

So if we take the high moral ground on this ,which may be the correct thing to do, we need to not be whinging when lads are playing for England with strong Irish background s at senior level and saying the fai scouting is terrible how did we not get them on board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I can see where you’re coming from but Rice was vocal about his commitment,leaving aside the badge-kissing and singing the national anthem etc.Totally agree re Grealish,surprisingly he has turned out to be the more mature and decent person out of the two.I don’t think this ‘difficult decision’ has taken a bat off Rice.Christmas has come early for him.i don’t have a problem with capping good dual-eligibility players, I just don’t think we should be used as a shop window.The Rice situation is probably an aberration as players with an ounce of decency are more likely to take the Grealish approach.I just think we have adequate opportunity to weed out the ones intending to use us as a steppingstone and we should take it.Its sort of like a pre-nup,you want to play for us? Great, here’s five minutes against Gibraltar to confirm your commitment.Now you can ‘concentrate on your football’ without any annoying questions from the press or phone calls from the England recruitment staff.
    Le monde est a nous

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    It's a fair point about using us as a shop window if u look at Oliver o Neil who looked a fine player in our 16s in no ember he had never been involved with England at 15s or 16s up to then but following this he was called up to the next England 16s squad(didn't attend though!) Same thing with o o'Driscoll the spurs keeper called up by us never previously involved with Brits and suddenly in their next squad . This forum which tracks dual qualified underage players from a Brits perspective is very interesting and shows how the Brits approach it with all countries not just us http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/eng...019295/page-71 .

I like to believe that there will always be players who feel Irish and will want to play for us even if st senior level the Brits also want them. For that reason I am supportive of the idea of not offering that competitive cap at senior level until they are genuinely going to be in the managers plans for genuine involvement.

To my mind this is what crowley had done. At 21 he has no reason to not believe he could get an England cap in the next 4 or 5 years(he is a more naturally talented playmaker than maddison and mount who have been capped or in senior squads) . It sickens me when lads I talk to who wouldn't pick him out of a line up are saying he only choose us cause his career has gone off the rails and he isn't good enough for England.

I genuinely believe if we had taken a hard stance with him at a younger age and demanded he commit we would have turned him off as he would have felt we were simply stockpiling players and were not genuinely interested in him and his Irish heritage.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts

Sorry, I’m taking Wikipedia over some random guy on the internet like you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Ironically, Wikipedia is written by random guys on the internet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ironically, Wikipedia is written by random guys on the internet

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I flip flop on the capping issue. I think that there is a time and a place for verything.

I think if we start faffing around with caps it might do us greater damage in the long run with Irish-born Irish reared non nationals which will become significant for us to utilise in years to come.

The best example I can give is joe Lapira. Many of us regularly refer to
    Him as being the most undeserving ridiculous cap we’ve awarded. And probably is. But that guy cherishes that cap more than anything and is supporters the ones supposed to be behind the players ridicule him. I would hope that we don’t start going down the road of capping one off youngsters just to tie them down. Particularly when they are relatively unproven.
    Howvervet the supporter in me says to hell with it can we afford to lose someone? .

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    His name is Luca
    He plays in the second tier
    He lives up north of Crewe
    Dual eligible? Yes, we've been here before.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I would hope that we don’t start going down the road of capping one off youngsters just to tie them down. Particularly when they are relatively unproven. Howvervet the supporter in me says to hell with it can we afford to lose someone? .
    We are already playing the game though, we know we have lads who are 50 / 50 at best on their feelings of national identity in our set up, we accept that (that's not to tar all the UK born lads with one brush either) but some of them are dodgy, so if we are already in the game, why not make winning moves ? It will at least show up the losing hands. You could maybe argue that two most high profile ones JG & DR could have been secured with earlier more assertive moves. If DR is telling the truth, he almost certainly could have been.

This will happen again, that would be what guides my strategy on it, to stop it from repeating for the sake of the supporters, particularly young lads in green shirts with Rice on the back.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivinho View Post
    his name is luca
    he plays in the second tier
    he lives up north of crewe
    dual eligible? Yes, we've been here before.
    bravo!!!!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts

Because Im lazy and dont want to do the research myself.... was OConnell in that squad?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Because Im lazy and dont want to do the research myself.... was OConnell in that squad?
    He was, yes.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I saw a copy of the rule affecting eligibility last night. I think that even capping an under 18 player in a Senior international might not tie him down. There’s a reference to consent which I feel is ambiguous enough that could be challenged by someone desperate enough to change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    What, like an argument that they didn’t have capacity to decide because they’re not an adult? Can you post up the section there Kingdom for a look.
    Le monde est a nous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    What, like an argument that they didn’t have capacity to decide because they’re not an adult? Can you post up the section there Kingdom for a look.
    https://resources.fifa.com/image/upl...6jfqyqkvxwcxef

Article 18 Change of Association
    ' If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is
    eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21 1t birthday,
    and only once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international
    matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the
    following conditions:
    (a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition at °A"
    international level for his current Association, and at the time of his first full or partial
    appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he
    already had the nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play.
    (b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already
    played for his previous Association .
    If a Player who has been fielded by his Association in an international match in accordance with art .
    15 par. 2 permanently loses the nationality of that country without his consent or against his will
    due to a decision by a government authority, he may request permission to play for another
    Association whose nationality he already has or has acquired
    Any Player who has the right to change Associations in accordance with par. 1 and 2 above shall
    submit a written, substantiated request to the FIFA general secretariat. The Players' Status
    Committee shall decide an the request. The procedure will be in accordance with the Rules
    Governing the Procedures of the Players' Status Committee and the Dispute Resolution Chamber.
    Once the player has filed his request, he is not eligible to play for any representative team until his
    request has been processed .

I think this is the incorrect law that I've found online, i.e. there is an updated one, but I would suggest that there is scope in the wording of the underlined piece to push if you're under 18 and a decision has been made on your behalf.

Edit: It's the same law in the updated statutes. There are better legal minds around here than me. The use (or lack of use) of a second comma in the underlined is probably enough to protect FIFA from misinterpretation.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 05/03/2019 at 2:54 PM.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I interpret that more as if a player has been stripped off his nationality due to something political.....like someone exiled from a country, or stripped of citizenship for some reason. But I'm no legal expert.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast