Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Luca Connell (D/M Barnsley b.2001)

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I don't think he's in contention for the squad right now, but by this time next year he absolutely could be. With his form this season I'd be shocked if he's not playing in Championship next season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Depends where you're planning to play him, but as a 6 he'd be behind Cullen, Coventry and Hodge. Molumby can drop back there too.

If you're looking at him as an 8 he's probably behind Knight, Molumby, Smallbone, Browne and Sykes. Most of those are established Championship players, he's down in League 1. If he can step up a division successfully he could come into contention alright. But, right now, he's a long way off.
    I wouldn't be looking at him as an 8 but could maybe play his as the 6 and play Cullen as an 8 with an out and out 10 like Azaz.

Though think he's a good bit off the squad until he plays regularly in the championship again. Even then you'll hopefully have Coventry playing regularly and think Hodge could go on loan next season. Might actually get a decent set piece taker if he can break into the squad though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    He's a more natural 8 than any on that list with the possible exception of Smallbone. I agree that Sykes is worth having a look at. Personally I think we have to move on from the Hendrick, Brady, Hourihane era and Browne is manifestly below par for international football. Coventry is at best an understudy for Cullen. We need to be overhauling our midfield. If Cullen and Molumby are the only automatic picks and we're moving on from the old guard, then there's scope for bringing in more than one new player. Fully appreciate that Connell is playing in League 1, but someone who is making an outstanding impact at that level, with a team heading for promotion, may be a better option than a Championship journeyman or has been.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    He's a more natural 8 than any on that list with the possible exception of Smallbone. I agree that Sykes is worth having a look at. Personally I think we have to move on from the Hendrick, Brady, Hourihane era and Browne is manifestly below par for international football. Coventry is at best an understudy for Cullen. We need to be overhauling our midfield. If Cullen and Molumby are the only automatic picks and we're moving on from the old guard, then there's scope for bringing in more than one new player. Fully appreciate that Connell is playing in League 1, but someone who is making an outstanding impact at that level, with a team heading for promotion, may be a better option than a Championship journeyman or has been.
    Hour inane tore it up with Barnsley to get his villa move

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Brady was one of the best players on the pitch v Armenia at home. Browne is flexible position-wise and chips in with the odd goal too. Wouldn't be too quick dispensing with them for a guy playing in League 1. Obviously if he can carry that form into a Championship season next year then things change a lot.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Lads used to be on here saying he couldn't run now he is a dynamic powerhouse all action 8

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Lads used to be on here saying he couldn't run now he is a dynamic powerhouse all action 8
    More of a playmaker 8 than a box to box 8. Plays deeper than a 10 but advanced than a 6.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    I think he'd have to be a 6 for us if he ever makes it to the senior setup. From what I've seen of him he's not mobile enough to play any further forward than that at international level. Can probably get away with it in League 1 alright.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think he'd have to be a 6 for us if he ever makes it to the senior setup. From what I've seen of him he's not mobile enough to play any further forward than that at international level. Can probably get away with it in League 1 alright.
    From what Ive seen of him Id agree with this, hes a bit one paced but good distributer of the ball. I dont think he would be a box to box player but could be a very good deep lying distributor

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Was also named young player of the season by Barnsley at the weekend.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Watching this game. Connell playing so so well. Two great shots on target early on and now just provided the most delicious cross from deep on the left to provide an assist for the Barnsley goal. He’s really good.

Someone before said he’s too slow. He’s not really. He not fast but he’s definitely not slow and he seems to have a short burst in him.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Peach of a cross from Luca and Barnsley take the lead. Lad has a wand of a left foot as they say.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Kitching, Barnsley goalscorer, is Ireland eligible too I think. Seen his name round these parts I’m sure.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Into the final and named motm too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    stunner of a pass for the goal

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Delighted for him, he has had a great season and seems like a good guy. Until the destination is definitely championship, I wouldn’t be saying he’s a must have in the squad for a look. Hopefully he will continue to go from strength to strength, but needs to be playing championship football at a minimum next season. Still only 22

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Watching this game. Connell playing so so well. Two great shots on target early on and now just provided the most delicious cross from deep on the left to provide an assist for the Barnsley goal. He’s really good.

Someone before said he’s too slow. He’s not really. He not fast but he’s definitely not slow and he seems to have a short burst in him.
    He surprised me in Scotland in the few games I saw him play in, seemed to have a bit of bite in him, tough in tackle etc. originally I thought he was the second coming of Stephen McPhail. Definitely not quick thought but not a complete slug either, will be interesting to see if he can sustain it at a higher level

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

*coughs eirrambler in silence*

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Stark contrast here, and a direct comparison with Taylor for Peterborough last night in a second leg pressure cooker, Taylor started 4.0 up having looked like a footballing God few days earlier when cruising to a home win, but was found badly wanting last night when it started to crumble & didn't take a pen either. Connell assisted the winner in a much tighter overall tie and fair play to him, great stuff, delighted for him after the disheartening time at Celtic.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast