Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Celtic/Shamrock Rovers deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I don't know but if he is paid back the shares either transfer back if they were transferred to him or he doesn't get them as he has been repaid. Either way if he is paid back he doesn't get the shares to keep
    He can influence a lot of decisions over the term of the loan if he got a 'temporary' 50% stake as opposed to the 50% mitigating against defaulting down the line. Pretty important info and it seems that there is confusion over it. It certainly wasnt pointed or clarified out in previous discussions!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    He can influence a lot of decisions over the term of the loan if he got a 'temporary' 50% stake as opposed to the 50% mitigating against defaulting down the line. Pretty important info and it seems that there is confusion over it. It certainly wasnt pointed or clarified out in previous discussions!!
    To be fair the Wilson 'investment' was somewhat risk free for the club as he was a confirmed longstanding fan and therefore unlikely to go against the best interest of the club, even to protect his investment.Any new outside investor is unlikely to be so understanding and much more concerned with his investment than with SRFC.
    with a new stadium (thanks to of SDCC) what are shams getting to sell off their club ? money to spunk on wages ? Anything else that might make giving up even part of their club worthwhile ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    One thing i do know for certain is that the members club control the board so whichever way his 50% is held he can't influence things that the members dont want.
    Regarding the question of where the money would go , i would imagine a lot into the academy in terms of more full time paid coaches and increased facilities as well as some support for the first team as well as beefing up the comercial end of the business.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    One thing i do know for certain is that the members club control the board so whichever way his 50% is held he can't influence things that the members dont want.
    Regarding the question of where the money would go , i would imagine a lot into the academy in terms of more full time paid coaches and increased facilities as well as some support for the first team as well as beefing up the comercial end of the business.
    Why would the commercial side need further investment or incur more costs?

Since Brendan Murray was appointed CEO in summer of 2016, the former FAI sponsorship, marketing & events manager, Siobhán Keane was appointed Chief Operating Officer. Whatever about administrative appointments being an extra layer of costs, surely the intent with commercial appointments is that they would not just cover their costs, but also provide a return on investment?

As an aside about the influence or power of Ray Wilson and Seumas Dawes at the time it was widely touted that these appointments came on the back of their nomination of Michael O’Rourke of Setanta and Stephen Gleeson of Hyundai to the Shamrock Rovers board

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    That's true but 50% also means he could block any proposal (as could members) as I said I don't think this was a problem given his personal commitment to the club. not sure that improving the Academy and ****ing away money on short term possible success would be worth giving up membership model but that's a call for the members.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    That's true but 50% also means he could block any proposal (as could members) as I said I don't think this was a problem given his personal commitment to the club. not sure that improving the Academy and ****ing away money on short term possible success would be worth giving up membership model but that's a call for the members.
    The academy is where the future of the club is.
    Investment here is more important than anything.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Why would the commercial side need further investment or incur more costs?

Since Brendan Murray was appointed CEO in summer of 2016, the former FAI sponsorship, marketing & events manager, Siobhán Keane was appointed Chief Operating Officer. Whatever about administrative appointments being an extra layer of costs, surely the intent with commercial appointments is that they would not just cover their costs, but also provide a return on investment?

As an aside about the influence or power of Ray Wilson and Seumas Dawes at the time it was widely touted that these appointments came on the back of their nomination of Michael O’Rourke of Setanta and Stephen Gleeson of Hyundai to the Shamrock Rovers board
    You can always improve EZ , A CEO and a COO need back up and sales people to maximize results on the commercial side , like most LOI clubs on tight budgets full time staff are in short supply.
    Rays Directors are irrelevant in terms of control , they don't control the board the members club do.
    Anyway, lets see if anything comes of it, its not the first time this and other stories have been floated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    You can always improve EZ , A CEO and a COO need back up and sales people to maximize results on the commercial side , like most LOI clubs on tight budgets full time staff are in short supply.
    Rays Directors are irrelevant in terms of control , they don't control the board the members club do.
    Anyway, lets see if anything comes of it, its not the first time this and other stories have been floated

I can only assume that this " beefing up the comercial end of the business " is just an idle guess rather than an informed or identified need

It should be a concern if creating two new executive positions resulted in even more administrative costs rather than actually generating revenue. On the other hand, if additional personnel are needed because of successful new commercial activities, then that is self-funding, without any additional investment capital required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I can only assume that this " beefing up the comercial end of the business " is just an idle guess rather than an informed or identified need

It should be a concern if creating two new executive positions resulted in even more administrative costs rather than actually generating revenue. On the other hand, if additional personnel are needed because of successful new commercial activities, then that is self-funding, without any additional investment capital required.
    Thanks for that master class in business/economics , wed never of been able to figure that out for ourselves.

Don’t worry I’m sure Dermot Desmond is already checking in here and taking note of all your interest in us .... surely only a matter of time before his people make contact with yours to offer you a role as villiage idiot in residence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Lol , I knew that c in leaving cert economics wouldn't go to waste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Thanks for that master class in business/economics , wed never of been able to figure that out for ourselves.
    You're welcome

Hopefully Hoops execs Brendan Murray and/or Siobhán Keane already have that figured out, even if sbgawa hadn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Lol , I knew that c in leaving cert economics wouldn't go to waste.
    And it was only your 7th attempt at the leaving cert 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    No he cant enforce a decision that the members down want but he can certainly influence boardroom decisions, especially on day to day issues if not long term policy. If he cant contribute, bar financially, its a wasted position on a board. I highly doubt he would sit in the corner with his finger on his lip!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Of course not Nesta , my point was really that once the members control the board they have the ultimate say.
    The question is will Dermot Desmond (or anyone else) invest big money without control?
    Peak 6 wanted control and maybe a major investor in Rovers would want the same.
    All will be revealed i guess, if there is anything in it at all other than paper talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Its all speculation I know. Peak6 didnt really change the board bar adding Mike Tracey and the previous owners stepping down. Day to day issues are dealt with as before. Player budget is set and managed by VP, the level of that budget may have changed. Peak6 obviously have a veto especially if its expenditure on infrastructure where a lick of paint is even hard to come by!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It looks like Cobh have nipped in while others were dithering

John O'Shea@JohnOShea1993

Cobh Ramblers set to announce a partnership with @CelticFC in the coming weeks. Members told about this at AGM over the weekend.
    https://twitter.com/JohnOShea1993/st...94665878118400

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Nice association for cobh, should help them with player recruitment. I wonder what is the connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Nice association for cobh, should help them with player recruitment. I wonder what is the connection.
    It may be totally unrelated, but Dermot Desmond is originally from Co Cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Wouldn't Cork City then have serious potential with Desmond investment or is Foras very closed to the idea of external investment potentially impacting on the Foras model? There is some precednce with Rovers that they would consider adjusting shareholdings if things made sense, but maybe with the battle that Foras had still pretty fresh in the minds its a tougher proposition. I feel that CCFC have greater growth potential with a big injection of cash as Rovers already well down that road and its almost like getting in on the act when the hard work is done. Its a gap in the efforts of Dundalk owners also not to seem to be looking at a proper academy facility and set up. Maybe there is capacity at Oriel Park itself without needing to look at additional sites. I would like to see some agreement with an educational facility to allow youths train, get fed properly and not miss out on an education similar to Rovers. Its not just on Oriel Park that we are chaing the pack and the gap widening!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Wouldn't Cork City then have serious potential with Desmond investment or is Foras very closed to the idea of external investment potentially impacting on the Foras model? There is some precednce with Rovers that they would consider adjusting shareholdings if things made sense, but maybe with the battle that Foras had still pretty fresh in the minds its a tougher proposition. I feel that CCFC have greater growth potential with a big injection of cash as Rovers already well down that road and its almost like getting in on the act when the hard work is done. Its a gap in the efforts of Dundalk owners also not to seem to be looking at a proper academy facility and set up. Maybe there is capacity at Oriel Park itself without needing to look at additional sites. I would like to see some agreement with an educational facility to allow youths train, get fed properly and not miss out on an education similar to Rovers. Its not just on Oriel Park that we are chaing the pack and the gap widening!!
    There's sort of precedence with Rovers but that's with a lifelong fan with a history of helping the club out financially and on very reasonable terms. Any club would go for that. A complete outsider carries a lot more risk so needs to be approached a lot more cautiously

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast