Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    was at the u21 game last night. the football in the 2nd half was brilliant.
    however, the size of the crowd was surprisingly poor at around 2,500..... after last night all I can say is that if you can get to any of the matches live do.... a great evenings entertainment. really enjoyable
    Irish people are event junkies. Most went to the Italy game because it was Italy. I know so many people that use the usual lines of "Ah sure we dont have the players" with the senior team but are first out with the Ole Oles when we qualify or its a big game.

There should have been a full house last night, but instead there will be full boatloads of people going over to watch United or Liverpool this weekend.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Irish people are event junkies. Most went to the Italy game because it was Italy. I know so many people that use the usual lines of "Ah sure we dont have the players" with the senior team but are first out with the Ole Oles when we qualify or its a big game.

There should have been a full house last night, but instead there will be full boatloads of people going over to watch United or Liverpool this weekend.
    The FAI probably gave out a lot of tickets to New Zealand and Denmark to clubs, schools, etc, etc, whereas in the previous window, were the u21s the main attraction? Think it was 2 away games for the seniors in October.

Denmark game the night before probably reduced the number of season ticket holders going, given two games in two days.

Baltic weather didn't help. Was ****ing freezing.

Loss against Iceland really dampened enthusiasm with the side, given how well they did against Italy.

Probably all contributory factors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    The FAI probably gave out a lot of tickets to New Zealand and Denmark to clubs, schools, etc, etc, whereas in the previous window, were the u21s the main attraction? Think it was 2 away games for the seniors in October.

Denmark game the night before probably reduced the number of season ticket holders going, given two games in two days.

Baltic weather didn't help. Was ****ing freezing.

Loss against Iceland really dampened enthusiasm with the side, given how well they did against Italy.

Probably all contributory factors
    Maybe... but I would also bet that half the people who were at the Italy game wouldnt even have known that they lost to Iceland.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wouldn't read too much into the attendance figures for that game.
    Why Tallaght again? Are Dalymount and Tolka out of the the question?
    I thought that 2nd half performance was one of the best by an Irish international team at any level (that I have seen).
    Sweden u21s are no mugs and have yet to play Italy. It augurs well for Ireland in this group.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    If I was part of the management setup or the team, I'd like the idea that we have a home stadium for the campaign. You get used to the pitch, the dressing rooms, everything and you start to feel comfortable after a few games, especially when things are going well at home, the sense of invincibility starts to build... I know it's only small but fine margins etc. etc.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Tallaght is miles better too! I love Dalyer but it's in poor nick, with half the ground derelict or empty. I never liked Tolka.

If anything Turners Cross or a good non-Dublin venue would be good but I also think it's a good idea to have a home stadium.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/11/2019 at 2:27 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    yep, definitely agree.. you have to create a fortress feeling somewhere

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sweden u21s are no mugs and have yet to play Italy. It augurs well for Ireland in this group.
    Think we may need Sweden to get something against Italy to go into the final game with a realistic chance of topping the group.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Tallaght is miles better too! I love Dalyer but it's in poor nick, with half the ground derelict or empty. I never liked Tolka.

If anything Turners Cross or a good non-Dublin venue would be good but I also think it's a good idea to have a home stadium.
    Fair enough if Dalymount is in poor nick but I thought it might be more central and accessable, more so than travelling out to Tallaght. And wouldn't rent money go into Bohs coffers not the council?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Fair enough if Dalymount is in poor nick but I thought it might be more central and accessable, more so than travelling out to Tallaght.
    for who though? not everyone is attending from Dublin. Tallaght is obviously just off the main country motorway network.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    More parking too

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    for who though? not everyone is attending from Dublin. Tallaght is obviously just off the main country motorway network.
    Yeah, Dubs are gas.. Tallaght is a bit further out than Dalymount

Don't make much difference if you're driving up from Tipp to watch it LOL

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The point was made earlier about the dramatic fall in attendance for the Sweden game, is it all right for somebody to explore reasons no matter how dumb. I'm not presenting any argument, the only explanation offered so far was that the Irish sports fan is an event junkie. What do you think is the reason?
    I didn't think about the culchies, that they would attend an u21 game and in such numbers that it would be a major factor in favour of a Tallaght venue.
    Fado fado when I lived in civilised parts of south Dublin, Dalymount was a doddle to get to using public transport and after the game have a few pints in a decent hostelry before (having a kip on) the last bus home. I wouldn't have ventured out to Tallaght. Football fans (real ones) didn't own cars, at best a racing bike with a large padlock. But if Dalymount is a kip these days then it's not even an alternative, is it? Then it's a priority that Dalymount be brought up to standard. Shamrock Rovers are getting all the love.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    To be fair the U21 games used to be spread around the country a bit and they were not well attended. I know it was different expectations for them etc but there really is very little interest outside of hardcore Ireland football fans.

I remember hearing the arguement that the national team should have the home stadium in somewhere like Athlone where it would be more easily accessible from everywhere in the country but you would hardly get 10000 at game if that happens. Like it or not the main base of supporters is in Dublin and while there is massive interest around the country when we do well its not enough. I say that as a Galway man and knowing how hard it is to even get people to go to Terryland on a regular basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Also, there was a sizeable crowd at the Denmark game the night before. It's a lot to expect people to travel for games two nights in a row

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    got a few random u21 attendance figures. tried to take the most recent available game for each home team that i could see published. Gives a little context on what a 7,200 attendance is and a 2,700 when you look at other countries...

England v Austria 11,772
    Germany v Belgium 16,504
    Bosnia v Germany 900
    Wales v Germany 841
    Finland v Denmark 1,527
    Russia v Serbia 28,220
    Serbia v Latvia 723
    Latvia v Poland 350
    Poland v Estonia 6,358
    Romania v Finland 2,500

Fair play to the Russians anyway.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Population of 144m may help somewhat.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Population of 144m may help somewhat.
    But if you think the drive from Galway to Dublin is bad. The drive from St Petersburg to Saransk where it was played is a solid 16 hours...

Interestingly, where that game was played, Saransk, the capital of Mordovia has a population of only 300,000 and a stadium that holds 44,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I wouldn't read too much into the attendance figures for that game.
    I thought that 2nd half performance was one of the best by an Irish international team at any level (that I have seen).
    The facilities in Tallaght are top class. Massive dressing rooms and comfort for the players. That's not the case in Tolka and Dalymount, two grounds that are falling apart. As well as this, spectator facilities are far above both other grounds. Clean, well looked after toilets, ample food vendors, comfortable seating with a good view all around, and a good PA system where your ears aren't taken off you. It's the best ground in the LOI by some distance. 19 more of them and we'd be laughing.

Tallaght stadium is easily accessible, served by the Luas line, ten minutes off the motorway, and has plenty of parking available around it. There's next to no parking around Tolka or Dalymount and they're both in large built up areas.

I'd love to be able to get to under-21 games, but in Donegal, that's just not possible. I only get to a few of the senior games, let alone underage matches. But, despite that, I wouldn't be in favour of them moving games around the country. It devalues the product on the pitch and disrupts the players preparations by shoving them around every corner of the country to play games.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Liam Scales has signed for Shamrock Rovers. Decent move for the lad.

I think he'd hope to have a season as a first choice there before moving across to an upper League 1 / lower championship side, similar to what Trev Clarke has done. Looked very good against Sweden.

Meanwhile, one-time prospect Kevin Toner has signed for a LSL side. Hard to fathom. Think he was first choice for most of the season for Pat's. I saw him play one game at home against Bohs during the summer and himself and Ciaran Kelly were excellent together.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast