Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Presumably that's allowed?!
    Yes, 5 permitted with maximum of 3 stoppages in play. Hence why there were 2 double substitutions

Regulation 38.04 in https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles...4_DOWNLOAD.pdf

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Couldn't be arsed with the senior team any more.

These lads will be stuffing the Danes 5-1 at senior level in a few years.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Sorry for the essay Missed the first 24 mins of the game, so will focus on the second half... was sitting central pitch-side central cause I was late, it’s a weird angle. You see things that you normally miss but you miss the wider picture.

That’s probably the best u21 half I’ve seen. I really think neither Masterson or Molumby were fit. Molumby was holding his leg after we won a corner late in the half. He didn’t get a kick in the first half and that’s not him. The team were carrying him.

Hard to know what position is Troy’s best. He was much better in the second half when he switched wide left compared to playing as a number 10. But he’s also struggled out wide in other games.

Conor Ronan was fantastic. Man of the match for me. He’s a little inconsistent but when he’s good, he’s a game changer.

Fair play to Collins and Scales, they were both great.

Also, for his goal, Lee O’Connor’s confidence to drive forward and continue into the box despite the gap he was leaving was encouraging. You haven’t seen that happen often at senior level

Idah is getting better and better are is Coventry and Knight. Thomas O’Connor was good too. Elbouzedi showed his qualities and his flaws again but overall it was a very good performance from him I thought.

I genuinely love this squad. There’s two or three players in every position who I really like... Mandriou is a lovely footballer. Has barely been used cause Ronan and Parrott have played ahead of him but he’s there plugging away.

Furthermore, it really feels like a squad now. 12 games in a year really help. Say Dan McNamara, his body language today was fantastic. The first few games he was a little shy, didn’t know everyone. Got his game in Yerevan. Did well. Back on the bench today, and you couldn’t see a more ecstatic player.

And Kenny’s enthusiasm is infectious...

Shame Grant or Farrugia didn’t get a run. Would be nice to see Grant make his debut...and for Farrugia coming back after such a long layoff would be great. He was great against Luxembourg, could still be an important player for us.

Green shoots...

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Interview with Kenny here: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...34203604111360 - he makes a very interesting point that ten of the starting eleven came through the FAI's Emerging Talent Programme, which is great to hear as it appears that this is team indicates that there has been a big step forward on a structural level -that this isn't just a few top talents happening on the scene at the same time, or a good underage coach getting the most out of limited players - this is a plan starting to fall into place.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It was rare to witness such a turnaround, it was unprecedented and almost inexplicable.
    But you guys will have to up the ante if you are to have a chance v iceland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Interview with Kenny here: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...34203604111360 - he makes a very interesting point that ten of the starting eleven came through the FAI's Emerging Talent Programme, which is great to hear as it appears that this is team indicates that there has been a big step forward on a structural level -that this isn't just a few top talents happening on the scene at the same time, or a good underage coach getting the most out of limited players - this is a plan starting to fall into place.
    Interesting alright. There does seem to me to be a depth of talent at almost every underage grouping that we haven’t had before. A quantity of real and exciting talent at 21, 19 and 17s - and a higher than usual number at 19 and 21s that have played or are playing first team football. Is that a fair take?

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    There have been some critics on Idah over the past year or so here. Would like to hear if his performance last night eradicated any of the doubts they have had over him.

Also, on elated's point re McNamara. Dara O'Shea didn't play last night due to injury. He was absolutely buzzing around the group on the pitch after, embracing all the players and himself and Kenny had a great moment too. Idah also referenced immediately how good a team performance this was in his post-match interview when asked about his own performance. He kept referencing how "unbelievable" all the lads had been and the team's performance. Great stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Fantastic second-half performance. Sweden were expecting to coast the group alongside Italy so particularly pleasing to firmly put them in their box (twice). And we’re a much younger side than them; all bar one player in their squad are 20+, we started the game with two 17- and three 18-year olds.

Fair play to Ronan as well. He’s being a weakness since Toulon imo but torn it up when he came on.

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Interesting alright. There does seem to me to be a depth of talent at almost every underage grouping that we haven’t had before. A quantity of real and exciting talent at 21, 19 and 17s - and a higher than usual number at 19 and 21s that have played or are playing first team football. Is that a fair take?
    We “lose” a high number of promising players around the 18-year-old mark. Happens in every sport but we’re relying on a less than ideal environment for our more promising players to push on and develop - we need to break that. Gavin Bazunu mentioned in a FAI interview the other day about feeling lonely sometimes and living alone in Manchester at 17 years of age. Heartbreaking to hear a kid talking about being lonely. It's not right.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    There have been some critics on Idah over the past year or so here. Would like to hear if his performance last night eradicated any of the doubts they have had over him.

Also, on elated's point re McNamara. Dara O'Shea didn't play last night due to injury. He was absolutely buzzing around the group on the pitch after, embracing all the players and himself and Kenny had a great moment too. Idah also referenced immediately how good a team performance this was in his post-match interview when asked about his own performance. He kept referencing how "unbelievable" all the lads had been and the team's performance. Great stuff.
    Great to see Idah play well.

I’ll hold my hand up and say that in the 3-4 times I’ve seen him the performances didn’t match the reputation.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Fantastic second-half performance. Sweden were expecting to coast the group alongside Italy so particularly pleasing to firmly put them in their box (twice). And we’re a much younger side than them; all bar one player in their squad are 20+, we started the game with two 17- and three 18-year olds.

Fair play to Ronan as well. He’s being a weakness since Toulon imo but torn it up when he came on.

We “lose” a high number of promising players around the 18-year-old mark. Happens in every sport but we’re relying on a less than ideal environment for our more promising players to push on and develop - we need to break that. Gavin Bazunu mentioned in a FAI interview the other day about feeling lonely sometimes and living alone in Manchester at 17 years of age. Heartbreaking to hear a kid talking about being lonely. It's not right.
    What can you do though, that is the life of a professional footballer?

On the emerging talent point, it is kind of moot because you would expect all exceptional players to be picked up at u12/13 and be in emerging talent programs. Plus, the professional clubs most likely pluck from the ETP programs now, rather than the schoolboy clubs, because it's easier to see good players in a bunch than go looking up and down the highways and byways

That said, the LOI underage leagues are in my opinion the real key to future development. Fund those properly, and I mean really fund them and the coaching going into them, and you will get a conveyor belt of talent coming through.

And this should benefit LOI senior clubs too

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    In terms of the group we have Iceland at home and Luxembourg away in March. That should really be another six points. We should be too good for Luxembourg again and I imagine the team will be particularly keen on getting one over on Iceland after the poor performance in the away game.

That would take us to 22 points and would mean that we should at least have a chance of topping the group going into the last game. But it would also surely put us in the running for the best second placed spot that also results in automatic qualification. Possibly by the time we go to Italy we might be in a situation where a draw is enough for both teams?
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    In terms of the group we have Iceland at home and Luxembourg away in March. That should really be another six points. We should be too good for Luxembourg again and I imagine the team will be particularly keen on getting one over on Iceland after the poor performance in the away game.

That would take us to 22 points and would mean that we should at least have a chance of topping the group going into the last game. But it would also surely put us in the running for the best second placed spot that also results in automatic qualification. Possibly by the time we go to Italy we might be in a situation where a draw is enough for both teams?
    Our group (Italy) are currently sitting in this position. If we don't beat Italy, though, that'll be another 2/3 points dropped, which means we'll have dropped 7/8 altogether. Looking at the other groups I'd say it's unlikely that'll be good enough to secure the best runner-up spot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I was one of his biggest critics. Last night, in the second half he was immense. It is clear his exposure with the first team at Norwich has improved him. Throughout the year, he has slowly improved his hold up play, first touch and link play. Excellent assist and goal to cap it all off. But one half of football against 20 year olds isn’t enough to dispel all the doubts I have, and get myself carried away. Similar to Parrott, he is caught in “no man’s land” at the moment, and will unlikely be given an earnest chance with Norwich this season given their predicament. He needs a good loan move in January, then can re-evaluate him next summer. I would still be surprised if he makes it as a regular in a top division. May settle as a reasonable championship striker. I will be the happiest man on here if he proves me wrong. I’m sure myself, Stutts and Razors LP will be happy to sit around a table sharing humble pie if this happens

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Not seeking to have a pop - my question was genuine. I hadn't seen enough of him previously. I was just blown away by how good a performance it was for an 18 year old lone striker at that level, albeit his teammates were more than willing to support him (amazing things happen when you don't isolate your 9).

As regards a loan, he's not 19 until February. It's not that pressing at present, though it.migut

Based on that performance, he looks to have all the tools to compete at the highest level. Again, one performance but his goal ratio and some of the other bits I have seen of him make me a bit more hopeful.

He's very young. Lone strikers don't tend to find their feet until they are older in a lot of cases. Lukaku still can't do everything a lone 9 should do. Drogba and Giroud didn't kick their careers off until their mid 20's. Kane didn't pull up any trees in his loan spells. I hope my examples aren't selective to back up my point but this lad is on the right track. I was just about to hit post and Didzy dawned on me.

What 9s do we have that have been "reasonable championship strikers"? Hogan? Collins? Alan Lee? Clinton Morrison? Daryl Murphy? He's streets ahead of where every single one of those guys was at 18.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Morrison had played and scored in the Premier League at 18 (he was a few days short of his 19th birthday)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    As regards a loan, he's not 19 until February. It's not that pressing at present, though it.migut

Based on that performance, he looks to have all the tools to compete at the highest level. Again, one performance but his goal ratio and some of the other bits I have seen of him make me a bit more hopeful.

He's very young. Lone strikers don't tend to find their feet until they are older in a lot of cases. Lukaku still can't do everything a lone 9 should do. Drogba and Giroud didn't kick their careers off until their mid 20's. Kane didn't pull up any trees in his loan spells. I hope my examples aren't selective to back up my point but this lad is on the right track. I was just about to hit post and Didzy dawned on me.

What 9s do we have that have been "reasonable championship strikers"? Hogan? Collins? Alan Lee? Clinton Morrison? Daryl Murphy? He's streets ahead of where every single one of those guys was at 18.
    When I say “reasonable” I mean a good standard championship player (I have high standards!) I wouldn’t have Hogan or Murphy in that bracket. Collins has been a disappointment since stepping up from league one. I’d agree I expect him to land above them. Just not convinced he will be a regular in top league. Part of the negativity from myself and others, may have been biased by our huge sense of expectation and excitement having heard so much about him for the past 2 years. The others such as Connolly or Parrott didn’t disappoint. But Idah did. However, I’ll hold my hands up and acknowledge his improvement in the 11 or 12 games I’ve watched this season has surprised me. And as u say, he’s been given the difficult lone striker task and has got better and better. Having lit it up in PL2 last year, and trained now with first team for past 6 months, I do think he needs first team football in January to continue progression regardless of his tender age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    was at the u21 game last night. the football in the 2nd half was brilliant.
    however, the size of the crowd was surprisingly poor at around 2,500..... after last night all I can say is that if you can get to any of the matches live do.... a great evenings entertainment. really enjoyable

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    was at the u21 game last night. the football in the 2nd half was brilliant.
    however, the size of the crowd was surprisingly poor at around 2,500..... after last night all I can say is that if you can get to any of the matches live do.... a great evenings entertainment. really enjoyable
    2760 I remember eirsport saying during my live stream, in between the constant frustrating pauses. I was surprised as well, poor turn out. Senior game night before may have affected it, but I really expected more.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I was one of his biggest critics. Last night, in the second half he was immense. It is clear his exposure with the first team at Norwich has improved him. Throughout the year, he has slowly improved his hold up play, first touch and link play. Excellent assist and goal to cap it all off. But one half of football against 20 year olds isn’t enough to dispel all the doubts I have, and get myself carried away. Similar to Parrott, he is caught in “no man’s land” at the moment, and will unlikely be given an earnest chance with Norwich this season given their predicament. He needs a good loan move in January, then can re-evaluate him next summer. I would still be surprised if he makes it as a regular in a top division. May settle as a reasonable championship striker. I will be the happiest man on here if he proves me wrong. I’m sure myself, Stutts and Razors LP will be happy to sit around a table sharing humble pie if this happens
    Agree with all this, last night I seen what the hype is all about. He was good against Italy but I always thought his first touch was poor. He was massively improved with that.

The 2 stand out bits that got me off my seat were the pace to go past the player on the right wing to set up O'Connors goal, and the skill and close control to beat the 2 defenders on the end line cutting in from left of the box. Both were brilliant pieces of play and we have no one in the senior team capable of those. With his size, pace and skill he could be an incredible player..... but it is only one game. Lets see if he can step it up on a more regular basis. Like Parrot he needs first team football now. Hes already had a full season with the reserves and done well there. I dont like any player with skill going to the Championship on loan so I'd love to see him going to Holland or somewhere like that, but he needs to be playing somewhere in January

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Agree with all this, last night I seen what the hype is all about. He was good against Italy but I always thought his first touch was poor. He was massively improved with that.

The 2 stand out bits that got me off my seat were the pace to go past the player on the right wing to set up O'Connors goal, and the skill and close control to beat the 2 defenders on the end line cutting in from left of the box. Both were brilliant pieces of play and we have no one in the senior team capable of those. With his size, pace and skill he could be an incredible player..... but it is only one game. Lets see if he can step it up on a more regular basis. Like Parrot he needs first team football now. Hes already had a full season with the reserves and done well there. I dont like any player with skill going to the Championship on loan so I'd love to see him going to Holland or somewhere like that, but he needs to be playing somewhere in January
    Balanced and fair. Holland would be great.

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast