Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Idah did score twice against Luxembourg only a few months ago. Parrott seemed to be the focal point of the attacks last night, where Idah was a few months ago, and maybe he wasn't accustomed to that secondary role. He still had a great chance that caught him off balance, where he really should have scored. If he is to stay with the U21's, who are the strikers at U19 level? Conor Noss was called into the U19 training camp this week.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    We don't need all of our forwards with the 21s, we're in the unusual position of having too many with Obafemi still to come back in as well. Much as I'd like to see Parrott and Connolly get a run with the seniors I don't see it happening in 2019, so for now I'd have Connolly, Obafemi and Afolabi (who are all now overage for Under 19) in the Under 21 squad with Parrott.

Then for the Under 19s I'd have Idah as the lead striker and we should have Ryan Cassidy (who's been very quiet recently) to come back in there as well.

You could argue that things would be more balanced in terms of giving game time to everyone if Parrott played Under 19 but I think he's just moved beyond that level now so that won't happen. It's only a short term issue anyway as this time next year I'd expect a lot of these lads to be in the senior squad with plenty of room then for Idah to go back to Under 21.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Couldn't watch or go to the match but the most common thoughts across the reactions I have read appear to be that Molumby and Connolly were our best players. A wide forward and a midfielder to progress to the senior side soon? Yes please.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Yes Molumby and Connolly most impressive. Was a delightful novelty to see a team in Ireland jersies dominating the ball, playing out from the back when it was on, playing intelligent long passes when called for and generally looking very comfortable stringing 12-15 passes together in a single play.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    They did everything right except score more goals. First time I've seen an Irish team play "post-2008" football, and so impressively. They played like other teams I see play and I think "I wish we played like that".

I was debating with some pals whether some of this squad should be in the senior squad for experience, as Wales and NI do, for example. I'd usually argue for a sprinliking of youth instead of tried and tested journeymen, but this week was different. This is such a seriously talented group and our U21s have been neglected for so long I think it's important this lot are kept together to develop together - and hopefully get tournament experience together.

I also think that Kenny should be allowed to work with the best he can work with given he himself is learning on the job and will be our senior manager next year. Of course if Connolly or Obafemi or someone does so well at club level they're obviously worth a senior call up, do it, but for now I think keep this lot together.

That said, with Stevens out for Georgia and McClean set to be left back (or maybe Doherty will be played there if fit, I'm not sure of Mick meant McClean was back up left back this week only), then Connolly already looks good enough to be considered on the left.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Idah did score twice against Luxembourg only a few months ago. Parrott seemed to be the focal point of the attacks last night, where Idah was a few months ago, and maybe he wasn't accustomed to that secondary role. He still had a great chance that caught him off balance, where he really should have scored. If he is to stay with the U21's, who are the strikers at U19 level? Conor Noss was called into the U19 training camp this week.
    Apart from classy penalties I've seen little in Idah in quite a few games that justifies the excitement. Of course he is young for this level which is a huge mitigating but I've been a bit disappointed in him tbh. That included the UEFA U16s finals.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I think the reality is not all highly rated youngsters live up to the hype. We have about 20 unusually talented players aged between 17 and 20 coming through at the moment. Odds are maybe half of them will live up to their billing - a combination of injury, attitude or their just being a bit overrated will take out the other half. Idah looks like he might be in the overrated category, hasn't really impressed for Ireland, didn't do too well in his League Cup outing either. Obviously plenty of time for him to kick on but it does look like his size has got him a long way at youth level.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I actually like Idah. Granted he's nowhere near being a senior player but he's a good out ball, and mobile. If he can become more assertive and confident, he has the skill set to develop further. But at 18, and one of the youngest members of that U21 squad, it's a bit early to be calling him out as not good enough?

If we are calling out players as not good enough, what about Caoimhin Kelleher? He's 21 in a couple of months with no prospect of 1st team club football. Lacks presence to be a (top) goalkeeper imo. Masterson is also another worry. Thought he played the ball well against Armenia and the partnership with O'Shea complements but looked suspect in Toulon - be interesting to see how if performs defensively against Sweden. And don't think our fullbacks are particularly strong either - for example, couldn't see either of them coping particularly well if faced up against a player such as Connolly.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I actually like Idah. Granted he's nowhere near being a senior player but he's a good out ball, and mobile. If he can become more assertive and confident, he has the skill set to develop further. But at 18, and one of the youngest members of that U21 squad, it's a bit early to be calling him out as not good enough?
    Yeah, same. And Norwich are seeing something in him, gave him a debut even though it could have gone better, an EPL club academy striker getting first team game time isn't happening for nothing or size related. Yes there are gaps, but he has time to fill them. I saw him in the u17 game V Holland and he had maybe three first time lay offs to over lapping runs from 50/50 balls hit at him which stood out. Lots to work on too definitely though

11. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'd be delighted with Idah if I was coaching him. The things he needs to improve on, decision making, composure, maybe instinctive finishing, can be easily improved on at any age. But his raw talent and spacial awareness which he seems to be gifted with are all there. He'll go far.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Am I right in saying that line-leading 9s take that bit longer to develop too, particularly in teams playing variations of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Thinking of Giroud and Drogba, and McGoldrick too. Bayern Munich signed Arp during the summer and he had a lot of games at club level without racking up many goals and is a year older than Idah. You could argue that Lukaku still hasn't refined all the aspects of his game that you would like.

I wouldn't be too rushed with him. He seems a game, a good lad and very keen to learn.

We probably shouldn't be relying on him to break through to our senior side but once McGoldrick avoids injury and Collins gets acclimatised and keeps scoring for Luton then we don't need him to either. Connolly is the guy I think we need to blood.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I was unimpressed by Kelleher in Toulon. Did some things very well, others not so well. Certainly saw nothing that suggested he's on the verge of a senior breakthrough. I'm probably being harsh on Idah because he has a lot of room to develop still, and yes, his club and others clearly rate him. But still I think his finishing has been disappointing in the 4 times I've seen him.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    As long as Travers keeps up his development, Kelleher will never be more than number two for Ireland anyway.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think the reality is not all highly rated youngsters live up to the hype. We have about 20 unusually talented players aged between 17 and 20 coming through at the moment. Odds are maybe half of them will live up to their billing
    Where do I sign?!

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    If out of the group we have that half make the snr team that would be massive, i suspect many will. The question is better asked, will they be any better than what we currently have? If so how many. I will go out and say of the group from 17-21 no more than 3 will be any better than we currently have. Parrot is the only one I've seen that has been consistently good at all age groups. Idah is young but the basic stuff you'd expect he doesnt have. Finishing is a natural attribute. Kelleher doesn't seem composed enough but for a keeper at his age its hard to tell if that is inexperience or just he doesn't have that awareness. Molumby is good from what I have seen of him. Connolly looks ok but he beat the armenian because of strength more than pace, and he wouldn't be doing either against more physical snr men.

So if we manage to get Parrot and Molumby better than say hendrick and Brady we will be doing well. Add another one in there that is an automatic starter in years to come then we are doing very well.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Where do I sign?!
    Was thinking the same, I would take three, I'd be delighted with four.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    To be a good second tier international team, the type of team we aspire to be (or at least that I want us to be!) I think you need 7 or 8 decent players and 2 or 3 really really good players. We almost always have the decent players and that'll never change. Will we get 2 or 3 of those special players you need?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Where do I sign?!
    Well I would say from the team that played Armenia Parrott, Connolly and Molumby are more likely than not to go on to play senior. Dara O'Shea also I think has a great chance.

Then you need to factor in Nathan Collins and Jason Knight who didnt play the last night but are performing very well in the Championship at a young age - both still only 18. And Obafemi who has played a fair bit of Premier League and has already been capped.

So there's seven with a huge chance who could make a great spine of a team. Beyond that a good few of the others won't make it in the end but also a few will that might not be as highly regarded at the moment. So I'd say getting 10 internationals out of this bunch is not unrealistic, especially given the age profile of our current Senior team, plenty of spaces opening up there in the next five years.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Will the Swedish game be shown on tv ?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Well I would say from the team that played Armenia Parrott, Connolly and Molumby are more likely than not to go on to play senior. Dara O'Shea also I think has a great chance.

Then you need to factor in Nathan Collins and Jason Knight who didnt play the last night but are performing very well in the Championship at a young age - both still only 18. And Obafemi who has played a fair bit of Premier League and has already been capped.

So there's seven with a huge chance who could make a great spine of a team. Beyond that a good few of the others won't make it in the end but also a few will that might not be as highly regarded at the moment. So I'd say getting 10 internationals out of this bunch is not unrealistic, especially given the age profile of our current Senior team, plenty of spaces opening up there in the next five years.
    I think they are the most certain. There's also Mark Travers, I feel, to add to that group.

Afolabi, Connell and O'Connor could also come good if at least one breaks into Celtic side. They also really appeared to have missed Connor Ronan the other night.

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast