Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Caoimhin Kelleher, Conor Masterson, Neil Farrugia, Michael Obafemi and Trevor Clarke have all withdrawn from the U21 squad, Anthony Scully (who should have been in the first squad) and Corey O'Keefe have been given their first callup to the U21 squad. Gavin Bazunu, Kameron Ledwidge, and Simon Power replace the others: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irel...ad-for-armenia
    Looking very light up front now. What has Josh barrett done to be so out of the picture? Obafemi only played a minute at the end yesterday he couldn't be injured is he getting called up instead of Connolly maybe just for the pace factor?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Interesting selections choices.

RE keepers, considering Randolph is back fit. I probably would have sent Travers to play in Armenia and called up McDermott or Talbot or whoever to be 3rd keeper for the friendly against New Zealand. Means you can keep Bazunu with the 19s and you’ve got Travers working with Kenny. And it possibly gives O’Hara an opportunity against New Zealand.

Surprised he hasn’t replaced Masterson with an actual centre half. Thought Ledwidge was poor at left back v Iceland. Could have gone for any of Nolan, O’Hora, O’Driscoll, Ndaba or Irish based lads Finnerty, McCarthy, Kelly, McNally.

I don’t mind the O’Keefe call up considering he’s the only viable full-back who Kenny is yet to call up at some point (Leahy, Clarke, Cotter, Ledwidge, McNamara, Wilson, Carroll, L O’Connor, T O’Connor). Dara O’Shea is probably the only lad guaranteed to start against Armenia. Never good when 4 of your first choice back 5 are missing.

If Obafemi has been called up to the senior squad ahead of Shane Long, that’s a mistake by McCarthy, unless Long is injured. Obafemi has played less lately than Long and Long is still an infinitely more intimidating prospect in terms of his strength and pace and intelligence/experience using his body. Even when he’s not scoring goals, he’s still giving centre backs a hard day’s work. He’s still drawing fouls and penalties. If I was a Danish centre back, honestly, Shane Long is the one lad who I really wouldn’t want to face, more than any other striker we have. So to not even include him in the squad is criminal. Thinking back, I think maybe he does better against better opposition. I can remember games against Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Germany, Belgium, France etc where he caused real problems for defenders.

Scully makes sense but Kenny clearly sees something in Power that he’s yet to show on the pitch. He’s picked him ahead of Barrett, but really he’s also picked him ahead of an actual number 9 which Obafemi can be. It leaves us very light in that department. Keena and Grant are unproven yet at this level.

Perhaps this is the negative of us playing all of our competitive games together and so early in the group to accommodate the Kenny situation. As it progresses and you lose players to the senior squad or players to suspension and injury, you haven’t had the friendlies interspersed to blood other viable alternatives. Or maybe it’s just bad luck that all of Kelleher, Travers, O’Connor, Masterson, Leahy, Clarke, Molumby, Connell, Connolly, Farrugia, Obafemi, Afolabi, Parrott are all unavailable at the same time...

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I thought the fixtures were decided by UEFA?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Caoimhin Kelleher, Conor Masterson, Neil Farrugia, Michael Obafemi and Trevor Clarke have all withdrawn from the U21 squad, Anthony Scully (who should have been in the first squad) and Corey O'Keefe have been given their first callup to the U21 squad. Gavin Bazunu, Kameron Ledwidge, and Simon Power replace the others: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irel...ad-for-armenia
    Why are you so convinced that Scully should have been in the first squad? We normally play with one striker at under 21 level and make exceptions for exceptional cases like Connolly or Parrott alongside Idah. Obafemi, Idah and Keena were our 3 and I don't think it is justifiable to say that Scully should have been in before any of the 3 because of a hot streak at the second tier of reserve football.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Scully is more of a utility forward than a striker to be fair. He can play a few different positions and deserves his call up, especially given the number of drop outs.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Is he not a utility forward because he has normally played on the wing and has just recently converted to striker so he has ad another position? I'm not disputing he should have been called up after the drop outs, I just think it is unfair on Kenny to say he should have been named in the initial squad. He has had no exposure at this level, is playing in a new position at club level and one he has never played at any international level and he is not playing in the first tier of reserve football and Kenny had options who have been in the squad all along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Why are you so convinced that Scully should have been in the first squad? We normally play with one striker at under 21 level and make exceptions for exceptional cases like Connolly or Parrott alongside Idah. Obafemi, Idah and Keena were our 3 and I don't think it is justifiable to say that Scully should have been in before any of the 3 because of a hot streak at the second tier of reserve football.
    It's a bit more than a "hot streak". he's been playing consistently well for more than two months now - winning the PL2 Player of the Month in September, and nominated again for the October award, despite playing in the second tier.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    It's a bit more than a "hot streak". he's been playing consistently well for more than two months now - winning the PL2 Player of the Month in September, and nominated again for the October award, despite playing in the second tier.
    He is a great example to anyone who has been long term injured or out of form. For the toulon tournament I doubt he was in anyone's top 50 under 21 eligible players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    They were. It was referenced in an interview last week. They specifically wanted armenia away as a standalone fixture
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I thought the fixtures were decided by UEFA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    They were. It was referenced in an interview last week. They specifically wanted armenia away as a standalone fixture
    Sorry about that. I remember hearing Kenny talk towards the beginning of the campaign about wanting back to back fixtures to build momentum and get ahead in the group, and falsely equated his desire, combined with the fact we seems to get through games quickly and his temporary tenure. Added 2 + 2 and got 5

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    We can agree to disagree but I think it's unfair to be stating he should have been picked in the first place- unfair on Kenny and unfair on the three strikers initially picked. I don't think there's a body of work there over a sustained period of time that would justify his inclusion in the middle of the campaign for a pair of important competitive matches. There was plenty clamour for Nolan's inclusion on here and his move to Serie C and subsequent form has quelled that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    We can agree to disagree but I think it's unfair to be stating he should have been picked in the first place- unfair on Kenny and unfair on the three strikers initially picked. I don't think there's a body of work there over a sustained period of time that would justify his inclusion in the middle of the campaign for a pair of important competitive matches. There was plenty clamour for Nolan's inclusion on here and his move to Serie C and subsequent form has quelled that.
    He's playing at the same level as Idah, and going by the September award and October nomination, has been playing better than him for at least two months now.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He's playing at the same level as Idah, and going by the September award and October nomination, has been playing better than him for at least two months now.
    Note my point relating to the middle of a campaign and important competitive matches. Idah has 4 in 10 at this level. He also has more senior exposure appearing in pre-season, league cup and on the bench in the league for Norwich.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    https://www.punditarena.com/football...d-armenia/amp/

Looking like a back 5 of: Bazunu, McNamara, O’Shea, Collins, O’Connor. Only slightly weakened and a testimony to the strength in depth. Assume middle 3 of Coventry, Knight, Ronan; weakened without Molumby but still quality at this level. Hopefully, Kilkenny will start on one of the wings, Kenny will probably go with Elbouzedi on right. And Idah will start up front. I expect the 3 points in Armenia.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    https://www.punditarena.com/football...d-armenia/amp/

Looking like a back 5 of: Bazunu, McNamara, O’Shea, Collins, O’Connor. Only slightly weakened and a testimony to the strength in depth. Assume middle 3 of Coventry, Knight, Ronan; weakened without Molumby but still quality at this level. Hopefully, Kilkenny will start on one of the wings, Kenny will probably go with Elbouzedi on right. And Idah will start up front. I expect the 3 points in Armenia.
    i

It's a big show of faith in bazuna given that kearns has played so much mens football and played in toulon

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Seen as Mick isn’t starting Travers, he might as well have let him play in Armenia given Kelleher’s situation.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Seen as Mick isn’t starting Travers, he might as well have let him play in Armenia given Kelleher’s situation.
    m

What is kelleher s situation is he injured?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Some form of injury. No idea what. Don’t think it’s anything too serious considering Coventry was joking about it and nothing has been announced but since his game against Arsenal he hasn’t been involved in any of the pre-game stuff. Normally it’s himself, Alison and Adrian doing all the drills but checked the vid and Lonergan has been there for past 3 games, so must have picked up something in that game

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The Armenian FA are streaming the game on YouTube: https://youtu.be/XwPGoMzy5Yk

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Dominated first half, but being wasteful again. 0-0. Good performance

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast