Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 490

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

  1. #61
    Seasoned Pro ifk101's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    83
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    351
    Thanked in
    212 Posts
    Noel King was U21 manager but also doubled as the Player Identification Head/ Manager (or whatever terminology the FAI uses). Noel King is no longer U21 manager but remains the Player Identification Head/ Manager. Stephen Kenny is now the current U21 manager.

    Just putting that out there as there seems to be a misconception that the U21 manager and the Player Identification Head/ Manager are one and the same.

  2. #62
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    202
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    What defines qualification for this job?
    Successful experience having managed one of the following at some stage:
    an decent international team
    Premier league
    La liga
    Seria A
    Bundesliga

    Not the league of Ireland, its not a good enough league

  3. #63
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    448
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    176
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Noel King was U21 manager but also doubled as the Player Identification Head/ Manager (or whatever terminology the FAI uses). Noel King is no longer U21 manager but remains the Player Identification Head/ Manager. Stephen Kenny is now the current U21 manager.

    Just putting that out there as there seems to be a misconception that the U21 manager and the Player Identification Head/ Manager are one and the same.
    Indeed - in fact I'd say Kenny has made it clear that he has no interest in Player Identification ......

  4. #64
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,753
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,357
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,081
    Thanked in
    1,799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Successful experience having managed one of the following at some stage:
    an decent international team
    Premier league
    La liga
    Seria A
    Bundesliga

    Not the league of Ireland, its not a good enough league
    How much of this had Mick McCarthy when he took over in his first spell? He turned out alright..

    Pardon me for saying, narrow minded views like that is one of the most pathetic things that exist among the vast majority of Irish football fans, and one of the main reasons our league is in the state it's in.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #65
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    202
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    How much of this had Mick McCarthy when he took over in his first spell? He turned out alright..

    Pardon me for saying, narrow minded views like that is one of the most pathetic things that exist among the vast majority of Irish football fans, and one of the main reasons our league is in the state it's in.
    Pardon me, but i want to win not accomadate the LOI faithful. The league is crap because its been grossly mismanaged by the FAI and tbh the players barr a few are sh*t.

    Mick got Millwall to the playoffs for the premier league with a budget of nothing, imo that totally out ways anything Stephen kenny has done.

  7. #66
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,675
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,297
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,557
    Thanked in
    1,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    How much of this had Mick McCarthy when he took over in his first spell? He turned out alright..

    Pardon me for saying, narrow minded views like that is one of the most pathetic things that exist among the vast majority of Irish football fans, and one of the main reasons our league is in the state it's in.
    Exactly - and its not like the traditional/Diggs way of picking (Trap, MONKEANO) has worked out for us too well in recent times... and in fact, the closest comparison we have to the Kenny appointment would be Brian Kerr who also happens to have our greatest winning percentage as a manager - if winning is your benchmark Diggs.

    Narrow minded.

  8. #67
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    202
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Exactly - and its not like the traditional/Diggs way of picking (Trap, MONKEANO) has worked out for us too well in recent times... and in fact, the closest comparison we have to the Kenny appointment would be Brian Kerr who also happens to have our greatest winning percentage as a manager - if winning is your benchmark Diggs.

    Narrow minded.
    Kerr wasnt qualified either and did a poor job When i say win i mean win when it counts and qualify..

  9. #68
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,899
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,053
    Thanked in
    3,191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Pardon me, but i want to win not accomadate the LOI faithful. The league is crap because its been grossly mismanaged by the FAI and tbh the players barr a few are sh*t.

    Mick got Millwall to the playoffs for the premier league with a budget of nothing, imo that totally out ways anything Stephen kenny has done.
    Kenny got Dundalk to the group stages of the Europa League, with totally outweights anything Mick had done with Millwall when he was appointed. The last manager to take an Irish club to the group stages has done a better job with meagre resources up north than either European Cup winner Martin O'Neill or Giovanni Trapattoni did with Ireland. Make sure you don't shift those goalposts while trying to explain that away.

  10. #69
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    202
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Kenny got Dundalk to the group stages of the Europa League, with totally outweights anything Mick had done with Millwall when he was appointed. The last manager to take an Irish club to the group stages has done a better job with meagre resources up north than either European Cup winner Martin O'Neill or Giovanni Trapattoni did with Ireland. Make sure you don't shift those goalposts while trying to explain that away.
    Michael o Neill has done a great job with NI in fairness thats a good point.

    I dont agree with your other point. He got a bang average team to the Prem play offs and then after he left for ireland i think they got relegated or close to it

  11. #70
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,899
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,053
    Thanked in
    3,191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Michael o Neill has done a great job with NI in fairness thats a good point.

    I dont agree with your other point. He got a bang average team to the Prem play offs and then after he left for ireland i think they got relegated or close to it
    And by your own admission Kenny got a team who "bar a few are ****" to the group stages of a major European competition. So, by your own calculations, Kenny's a better manager than Mick was at that stage.

  12. #71
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    202
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    And by your own admission Kenny got a team who "bar a few are ****" to the group stages of a major European competition. So, by your own calculations, Kenny's a better manager than Mick was at that stage.
    It was an exciting time for the people of Dundalk no doubt, but the teams they conquered that year Europe were an Icelandic team and a team from Belarus, once they met half decent teams they got beaten.
    Who did the beat of note? Seriously?

    The point im trying to make is that I believe the jump from Dundalk to managing our national team, playing against the best teams in Europe is absolutely massive and I don't believe he has the required experience.

    Is he your first choice as Irish Manager for the world cup campaign?

  13. #72
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,624
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    395
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,326
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Who did the beat of note? Seriously?
    Beat BATE Borisov and Maccabi Tel Aviv at home - got results away against AZ Alkmaar and Legia Warsaw - never beaten by more than a goal and that included a pair of games against Zenit St Petersburg who had a squad market value of roughly €150m - even bigger than Millwall.

    Defending Dundalk and Kenny - off now for a cold shower.
    If a dog weighs under 50 lbs it's a cat, and cats are useless.

  14. #73
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,580
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,522
    Thanked in
    1,720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    How much of this had Mick McCarthy when he took over in his first spell? He turned out alright..

    .
    If you are allowed to hang around long enough, the players will (eventually) come.

    ... But looking forward to Mick's 2nd coming,

  15. #74
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,460
    Thanked in
    2,211 Posts
    not sure how much this all has to do with the U21 Championship...
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  16. #75
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,460
    Thanked in
    2,211 Posts
    Under 21 game to be streamed online

  17. Thanks From:


  18. #76
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    812
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

  19. #77
    Seasoned Pro joe_denilson's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,385
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    260
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,172
    Thanked in
    657 Posts
    Reminder

    Republic of Ireland U21 (Home Based) v Republic of Ireland Amateurs
    Whitehall 6th of February 7.45 PM

    This is being streamed by Striker Online



  20. #78
    Seasoned Pro joe_denilson's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,385
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    260
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,172
    Thanked in
    657 Posts

  21. #79
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,460
    Thanked in
    2,211 Posts
    no sign of the stream yet.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  22. #80
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,240
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    914
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    Strange Drinan is in the side unless he's on the way home from Ipswich.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. European U21 Championships
    By Ceirtlis in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26/06/2009, 1:52 PM
  2. European Championships 08
    By sligoman in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24/11/2007, 12:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •