Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Cheers for that reason McGarry. Had never heard of him. Is with Dan Crowley's side, Willem II. Could be a prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    There's Quivi Fowler at Dordrecht but he's been lining out for Cardiff u23 recently......

James McGarry and Lukas Browning Lagerfeldt are eligible but currently with New Zealand and Sweden respectively.
    Dan Crowley is overage.
    Think Browning isn't eligible any more. AFAIR, he has played competitively for Ireland at u17, and then Sweden at u19.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Cheers for that reason McGarry. Had never heard of him. Is with Dan Crowley's side, Willem II. Could be a prospect.
    That mcgarry lad is born and bred new Zealand and his father played for new Zealand think that whole Irish passport is simply to allow him move to Europe more easily

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Ryan Johansson's first competitive U21 game for Ireland could be against Luxembourg, who his last competitive U21 game was for
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Heard a bit on newstalk today where Dan McDonnell and Jonny ward(who hasn't a scooby do about football other than he loves galway Utd) were saying that Kenny won't be capping foreign born irish qualified lads at 21s level as he doesn't see recruitment as part of his role. they offered the example of shiperly From Coventry who was called up by king this season as something which wouldn't happen again. The Two lads thought this was a great thing. This to me is crazy talk. Shiperley has 20 odd appearances this season at league one level at 21. how is he an example of someone who should not have been capped?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Heard a bit on newstalk today where Dan McDonnell and Jonny ward(who hasn't a scooby do about football other than he loves galway Utd) were saying that Kenny won't be capping foreign born irish qualified lads at 21s level as he doesn't see recruitment as part of his role. they offered the example of shiperly From Coventry who was called up by king this season as something which wouldn't happen again. The Two lads thought this was a great thing. This to me is crazy talk. Shiperley has 20 odd appearances this season at league one level at 21. how is he an example of someone who should not have been capped?
    Didn't King actively pursue Shiperley and Quigley? Pursuing lads at 21 is a bit late in the day.

I'm sure if these lads are good enough and committed enough they'll be pick. Was Shiperley good enough to go straight into the starting side on his first call-up? I think it was a bit of a capping exercise to do so.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    It's Kenny's duty to pick the best out of those u21s who are available to him right now, regardless of their birthplace. If he does not want to pursue other english born players to declare for Ireland then that's his prerogative but he has no right to impose a bias based on some justification of a player to be selected based on a favorable birth location.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Didn't King actively pursue Shiperley and Quigley? Pursuing lads at 21 is a bit late in the day.

I'm sure if these lads are good enough and committed enough they'll be pick. Was Shiperley good enough to go straight into the starting side on his first call-up? I think it was a bit of a capping exercise to do so.
    Hadn't heard much about Shipley so had a look at his stats. He broke into the Coventry first team at the end of the 2016/17 season at the age of 19 and became a regular in 2017/18, playing 41 times in all competitions, scoring in the League 2 play-off final. He has held his place in League One this season and had played 12 times when he was called up. At that point, only 6-8 players in the squad had arguably more extensive first-team experience and currently only Ryan Manning is playing in a higher division (unless you count Jake Mulraney at Hearts). He's playing in the same division as Ronan Curtis, Jimmy Dunne, Josh Cullen and Ian Lawlor, who would all be considered to be within sight of the senior squad, at least. In fairness to Noel King, calling Shipley up might have been a very good decision as he might actually turn out to be a player to watch going forward.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's Kenny's duty to pick the best out of those u21s who are available to him right now, regardless of their birthplace. If he does not want to pursue other english born players to declare for Ireland then that's his prerogative but he has no right to impose a bias based on some justification of a player to be selected based on a favorable birth location.
    If he is ever manager of the rep of Ireland i will be shocked. I dont care what his contract says. I think he will be paid off and never get the top job. He is nowhere near qualified

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shipley only came in for the first time for the final game, when we were out, and got straight into the starting team for the final under-21 game in which he's eligible. It would do nothing to tie him to Ireland and he can't play underage for us again, so it was the definition of just playing a guy because he's eligible.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He never said anything of the sort. He said player recruitment is not his job, which is an obvious reference to King, whose job was player recruitment first and 21s boss second. There's an obvious discrepancy between Ireland 17s, 19s and senior teams, which are majority Irish-born, and the 21s who have recently been majority English-born. It makes no sense unless the 21s are being used as a recruitment tool for English-born eligible players.

He was saying he'll pick the best players, not hand out caps on a favourable basis to players who switch allegiance, which is what King did to the detriment of the team. Essentially he was saying he doesn't have the conflict of interest King did, and he'll be free to pick the team he wants rather than the team that best suits the agents of English-born players.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 27/01/2019 at 3:54 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He never said anything of the sort. He said player recruitment is not his job, which is an obvious reference to King, whose job was player recruitment first and 21s boss second. There's an obvious discrepancy between Ireland 17s, 19s and senior teams, which are majority Irish-born, and the 21s who have recently been majority English-born. It makes no sense unless the 21s are being used as a recruitment tool for English-born eligible players.

He was saying he'll pick the best players, not hand out caps on a favourable basis to players who switch allegiance, which is what King did to the detriment of the team. Essentially he was saying he doesn't have the conflict of interest King did, and he'll be free to pick the team he wants rather than the team that best suits the agents of English-born players.
    It appears that you agree with what I wrote. I said it's Stephen Kenny's right to not pursue other english born players (i.e. player recruitment) and it's his duty to select players on merit. I was replying to a comment on what was discussed on Newstalk on sat afternoon, not what SK actually said. And although I listened to that particular Newstalk chat whilst napping and watching a FA cup game, I'd hazard a guess I'm not too far off what was discussed and pretty sure the "merit" word was bandied about

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Hadn't heard much about Shipley so had a look at his stats. He broke into the Coventry first team at the end of the 2016/17 season at the age of 19 and became a regular in 2017/18, playing 41 times in all competitions, scoring in the League 2 play-off final. He has held his place in League One this season and had played 12 times when he was called up. At that point, only 6-8 players in the squad had arguably more extensive first-team experience and currently only Ryan Manning is playing in a higher division (unless you count Jake Mulraney at Hearts). He's playing in the same division as Ronan Curtis, Jimmy Dunne, Josh Cullen and Ian Lawlor, who would all be considered to be within sight of the senior squad, at least. In fairness to Noel King, calling Shipley up might have been a very good decision as he might actually turn out to be a player to watch going forward.
    My issue is that he a) has admitted to having to work to get Jordan on board and b) brought him straight in and capped him. Why didn't this lad put his lot in with us when he was younger? And why did he walk straight into the starting line-up at the back-end of a campaign in which other's had played all along?

I have no issue with his level and no issue with his potential.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Charlie Darwin has verbalised the two points I was going to make here better than I could have. King has used the under 21 side as a recruitment exercise at times. Kenny does not want to do so.

And there's an unfair accusation that Kenny won't be picking lads born outside of Ireland. He stated he wants to pick lads that want to play for Ireland more than anything. I'm sure 20 year-old from Salford or Coventry would be considered on the basis of football and ability as much as one from Salthill or Crumlin once they have demonstrated the commitment.

There's a very long list to beat King with. Duffus, Fenelon, Quigley and Rhys Murphy, off the top of my head, are strikers that were parachuted in for a cap and the chances of any of them making a senior impact is very, very remote.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    I didn't realise that Ireland are in Iceland's group, quelle surprise. Generally Iceland have about half their u21 squad made up of home based players (mickey mouse league) and generally perform way better than Ireland in the qualifiers. It's a piece of cake Stephen, you just gotta do better than teeny Iceland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Ryan Johnsson's latest post on instagram is nice: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJE6epAATm/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ryan Johnsson's latest post on instagram is nice: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJE6epAATm/
    Indeed.

This one's good too (Stephen Ireland take note!) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BsDou65AyY4/

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ah. Heartwarming stuff.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    he isn't eligible for the 19s as he played for Luxembourg in first round unfortunately himself, Coventry and booger would have been a strong three https://www.uefa.com/under19/season=...x.html?iv=true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If he is ever manager of the rep of Ireland i will be shocked. I dont care what his contract says. I think he will be paid off and never get the top job. He is nowhere near qualified
    What defines qualification for this job?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast