Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I dont think Michael obafemi will switch but I do think we will have issues on when he turns up or not etc

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Sweden were beaten 1 nil by Iceland at fortress Vikingur's stadium. Not much to report from the game except the Shane Duffy style headed goal from the son of Eidur. That's a serious dent in Sweden's hopes. Though they do play Italy on monday and I wouldn't rule out their chances at home to get a result.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Is that the wind tunnel of a place that Ireland played them in?

That was probably the worst possible outcome for us from that game, Sweden have little or nothing to play for now against Italy and it has brought Iceland back into contention in the group.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There was wind but this time it only blew in one direction.Sweden will be match fit and almost be at full strength v Italy, it should be a competitive game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sweden don't seem to be very good though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Possibly, but you didn't watch the game. From the Wildlings perspective, Sweden were a much much tougher opponent than Ireland.
    Both teams (Ice Swe) had undergone many changes. U21 performances can swing, teams can have 5 or 6 changes so it is difficult to predict. From what I saw of Italy in the first half of the group, they looked like lower than average first seeds. Who knows what they have in their team now, but they will have to perform good.

I hope you don't mind the POS fallback qualification being inserted.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Sweden had 5 debutants against Iceland, and had a man sent off (best player on paper) prior to the goal. Also missed a sitter in the first half. They've lost a couple of players to the seniors since the start of qualification but it's not a particularly talented group of players regardless even if they put it up better against Iceland than us. Sweden always has a knack of grinding out performances and results with groups of mediocre players so they can be seen by some as a more difficult opponent than us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sweden up 1-0 - https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2...eden-vs-italy/

Edit: 3-0 full time.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 08/09/2020 at 7:29 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Results are all over the place in this group. Italy go to Iceland next, nothing guaranteed for them there either.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    When it comes to Scandinavian football, just accept what I say as coming from a very knowledgeable source and await the outcome

It took about 10 minutes for the Swedes to realise they were a much better team than this flash Italian bunch. In fact they should be greeted with a pelting of overripe tomatoes on their arrival in Italy such was their disgrace to the culture of Italian football.
    For Sweden they had a new Nr 9 on his 2nd cap playing on the left side, Jesper Karlsson, just a pure delight to watch. A player you'd get out of bed to watch.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    squad for the qualifier against Italy to be announced later today
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Assuming that it is limited to 25 or so players it's inevitable that some very decent players are going to need to be left out. Especially at centre back where no players have been lost to the seniors and in midfield where we have serious depth even without Molumby.

Our attack will definitely be weaker though without Parrott and the two lads with the seniors. GK depth is an issue now as well, not much international experience below Bazunu with Kelleher gone to the seniors.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Squad named. That'd be Josh Kayode's first involvement with Ireland at any level, good to see!
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/10/2020 at 11:53 AM.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Strong squad. No places for Hodge, Connell, Grant, Scully, Cassidy, O'Hora, Kilkenny, Roughan, McGuinness, Ebosele etc. and half a dozen more either injured or with the seniors.

Team should be something like

Bazunu
    L O'Connor
    T O'Connor
    Masterson
    O'Shea
    Coventry
    Knight
    Smallbone
    Ferry
    Obafemi
    Afolabi
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/10/2020 at 11:53 AM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Squad named. That'd be Josh Kayode's first involvement with Ireland at any level, good to see!
    He was with the U18s before - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irel...nia-friendlies

Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Strong squad. No places for Hodge, Connell, Grant, Scully, Cassidy, O'Hora, Kilkenny, Roughan, McGuinness, Ebosele etc. and half a dozen more either injured or with the seniors.

Bazunu
    L O'Connor
    T O'Connor
    Masterson
    O'Shea
    Coventry
    Knight
    Smallbone
    Ferry
    Obafemi
    Afolabi
    Think Hodge is injured, hasn't been involved for any of City's underage sides so far this season
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    That's a strong list of lads not involved. Not only is the volume of players at PL level increasing, the volume of players playing at all levels seems to have increased with a lovely weighting towards younger players.

Danny Grant is one I am surprised not see in there.

As for the starting line up suggested, that still looks strong without the lads moved to senior. Plenty Premiership, Championship and League One games racked up, O'Connor in League Two and Ferry and Afolabi due to kick on.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

Bazunu
    L O'Connor
    T O'Connor
    Masterson
    O'Shea
    Coventry
    Knight
    Smallbone
    Ferry
    Obafemi
    Afolabi
    I think it'll be a 4-3-3 like the senior side. Would expect a similar back 5 alright but slightly different midfield and forwards.
    Bazunu

L O'Connor
    T O'Connor
    Masterson
    O'Shea

Coventry
    Taylor
    Ronan

Elbouzedi
    Obafemi
    Farrugia

Strong looking squad and lots of options, particularly in midfield. Any of them could justify a start.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Looks a bit light up front? What’s Farrugia playing like at the moment? Had heard he hasn’t been lighting things up for a while?

Ryan Cassidy and maybe Scully could have been considered. They’ll probably get their chance though as Obafemi is a high risk for pulling out. Both also playing a league higher than Kayode
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 02/10/2020 at 12:58 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I think it'll be a 4-3-3 like the senior side. Would expect a similar back 5 alright but slightly different midfield and forwards.
    Bazunu

L O'Connor
    T O'Connor
    Masterson
    O'Shea

Coventry
    Taylor
    Ronan

Elbouzedi
    Obafemi
    Farrugia

Strong looking squad and lots of options, particularly in midfield. Any of them could justify a start.
    I had actually intended my line up as a 4-3-3, probably should have spaced it out better to explain the formation.

Basically, if we follow the line that Kenny doesn't see Obafemi as an out and out lone centre forward and he is still with the under 21s to learn the "right side of a front 3" position, I think we will see him play there rather than centre forward for the Under 21s. So I think they might pick Ferry on the left of a front 3 to bring some natural width to the team. We know Afolabi can lead the line from his Under 19 performances so this is his big chance to step up with Parrott and Idah out of the reckoning.

I think the midfield three has a really nice balance to it with Coventry the sitter and Smallbone as the attacking midfielder, although Ronan will also be in contention for that spot. Knight is playing at a higher level than Taylor so I've picked him at 8, but Taylor is a strong option as well to be fair.

Collins must also be putting pressure on Masterson at centre back but Masterson and O'Shea have gone well together throughout the campaign so I think he might stick with that pairing.

Lots of positive tweeting from the selected players, Smallbone, Taylor, Ronan etc. - most Irish under 21 squads have been a formality for the better players to get into down the years but looking at the names left out it really feels like the players picked have to earn their places in this one.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 02/10/2020 at 1:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I like the fact that all the strikers have nice tongue twisters of names. I propose the rest of the squad be named as Gaeilge, to further confuse the opposition. Use old Irish script on the back of the shirts, búiltes, fadas, the works.

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast